PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Unity immediately crashes in macOS Ventura

tbridge
July 25th, 2022, 13:05
Note: Yes, I know it's a beta operating system. No, I don't expect it to work perfectly. No, this isn't my only machine, so I'm not dead in the water. This is posted purely to let the developers know that this is occurring AND supply logging information from this environment.

Hello Fantasy Grounds Unity team!

I deeply appreciate all the thoughtful work that goes into FGU, and our party loves using it. Especially during the pandemic, it has meant connection and fun for people who can't otherwise see each other. For all that, I thank you, as does my party.

I recently upgraded to the macOS Ventura beta for my own testing purposes. After successfully updating (I think!) to the latest Fantasy Grounds and macOS Ventura beta, my app quits immediately on launch.

Testing Platform information:
OS Version: 13.0 Beta 3, Build 22A5295h (current developer build as of writing)
RAM: 16GB
Processor: Apple M1 Pro
Free Disk Space: 671 GB

Behavior: On launch, the app immediately quits. It does not appear in the dock before exiting, it's an immediately failure.

Logging: With the system log running, I captured two launch cycles with failures. I then filtered the log to look for the FantasyGrounds app. The result of that log is available in this Github Gist (https://gist.github.com/tbridgejc/f6895ed5d99363cec2e89f380be72a13).

The crash log is also available as a Github Gist (https://gist.github.com/tbridgejc/70cf09352433df7d4d7f02842408c247).

If there is additional information I can gather, I stand ready to do so.

Thank you!

jaharmi
July 25th, 2022, 14:49
[Note that OP is in one of my games, and everyone is using a Mac. I think it's almost evenly split between Intel and Apple Silicon Macs at this point.]

There seem to be similar ongoing issues with FGU, perhaps only or primarily affecting Apple Silicon devices (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?68503-FGU-crashing). The posted gists look like some of the other problems that have been previously posted.

One way to test this without having extra Macs would be to follow the instructions to use more than one version of macOS on a Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891). It's still not totally safe, because you are dual-booting the Mac but sharing your user data, but it's an option for those who want to try this out. Follow Apple's recommendations and keep your data backed up — and probably set aside your backup before you install any macOS developer/public beta versions.

Since this may be related to an ongoing problem, it makes sense to report it with Apple's Feedback app, especially if encountered on the macOS Ventura beta.

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2022, 18:50
As mentioned in the original Discord discussion, we don't typically don't look at beta OS implementation issues, because that's exactly why OS betas go out is to find issues with running applications that ran fine before.

Thank you for the logs. I did a quick scan of the logs, but they didn't really provide any real detail other than it was an exception of some type (and the Apple docs on the exception types is scarce). Also, it's not the same error we saw with previous updates related to Rosetta signing. So, my guess at this point is that it's related to some sort of Mono library implementation issue in the new OS.

I would definitely flag to the OS beta team that the FG application is no longer working in the new OS (if that's an option).

Regards,
JPG

jaharmi
July 26th, 2022, 14:05
Apple's beta OS programs (developers, large customers/IT, and public beta for consumers) are meant for that purpose — finding issues for apps that ran fine before — yes. They are also intended for developers and large customers to test their software against. There may be a change — new framework, deprecation, etc. — that Apple just expects developers and/or IT organizations to adapt to. Feedback from developers and IT teams goes into their own channels for consideration, a bit separate in weighting to public beta feedback.

It's somewhat like the prerelease channel for FGU. The change is probably going to happen, will likely happen in a certain way, but there may be some wiggle room before the release is finalized/public.

I strongly urge Smiteworks to test macOS betas through the Apple Developer beta program (i.e. using Apple IDs that are part of a developer team). Submitting feedback through that program gives it the weighting of the developer channel. I know full well the effort this takes for developers and IT teams (of any size), but for better or worse, it is now an expectation on Apple's part. The beta program is year-round, but most important in the June to September/October timeframe.

jaharmi
July 26th, 2022, 14:10
Fwiw, I could not reproduce this problem with FGU downloaded and tested on the macOS Ventura public beta on an Intel Mac.

tbridge
July 27th, 2022, 15:58
Just a footnote here: this appears to have been an update to FGU gone awry. I removed the SmiteWorks folder from the device and reinstalled a fresh version as was able to use it successfully last night.

It is likely there's a problem with the updater more than there's a problem with the app itself.

With that said, Apple has announced changes to Gatekeeper, (https://eclecticlight.co/2022/06/17/app-security-changes-coming-in-ventura/) which means users may be prompted to approve app updates by the OS, unless you declare which application bundle IDs can update your apps. That may be an easy fix for this issue!

DeBue
October 13th, 2022, 16:05
Ever since I switched to an m1 (shortly after it came out), I've had an issue where I get an "unexpectedly quit" error, whenever I close FGU or whenever it closed because I was updating it. This solved the problem for me:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/game-unexpectedly-quit-on-launch-with-m1-macbook/48211

Moon Wizard
October 13th, 2022, 16:31
@DeBue,

Thanks for the pointer.

JPG