PDA

View Full Version : Adding new module to custom ruleset

thrylax
October 31st, 2007, 23:51
This topic has likely been covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any specific answers for it, so I'd like to ask a complex question.
I am making a custom ruleset for Transformers d20 which I am writing myself based on the Fantasy Flight Games d20 book Mechamorphasis. I am making a lot of changes to that system though and I already have a functional ruleset with character sheets.
My question however is that I would like to include some of the rules into mudules within the ruleset itself just like the d20 Basic Rules that are included with the base d20 ruleset.
I have already unzipped the d20basicrules.mod file and inserted a new thumbnail.png file with the exact same dimsensions as the original. But I need to know how to make this new mod file show up in my new ruleset which it does not seem to want to do. Basically I want this mod to show up in the new ruleset, but not let it show up when I host a regular D&D game. Don't make a whole lotta sense giving stats for Blaster Rifes and Inverse Array Neutron Cannons in a regular D&D game afterall ;-)
Does anybody know how I can make this new mod file show up?
Thanks for your input.
Greatly appreciated.

cbradshaw007
November 1st, 2007, 03:33
GoOrange posted this up a while back. Its worked for me since.

1. You need to rename the .mod file you want to use to a .zip file.
2. Then open up that .zip file.
3. Find the definition.xml file and open it with a text editor.
4. Change the name of the ruleset in that file to match the ruleset you wish to use it with, and save the file.
5. Make sure everything is properly re-packaged in the .zip file.
6. Re-name the .zip file to a .mod file.

cbradshaw007
November 1st, 2007, 03:34
Granted I havent tried to put additional rulesets in so it would work in multiple.

Griogre
November 1st, 2007, 05:50
Changing the definition is key and that is what tells FG which modules go with which rulesets.

thrylax
November 2nd, 2007, 03:43
I must be missing something then. I have already tried all of those and it don't seem to show up in the ruleset.

Just to be clear, heres what I did.
1. Copied the d20basicrules.mod file
2. renamed it to d20basicrules.mod.zip
3. Unzipped it
4. Changed out the thumbnail.png file with another image of the exact same dimensions
5. Changed the definition.xml file to the following

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.00">
<name>Transformers Basic Rules</name>
<ruleset>Transformers</ruleset>
<author>Me</author>
</root>6. Made a simple change to the info in client.xml just to verify that it was different. (It was something simple like the name of a race or class. Left all other info alone).
7. Rezipped the folder and removed the .zip extension so that the file was called "TF_basicrules.mod"

It must be something simple becuase I verified the code I changed and even tried it without editing "client.xml" but it still will not show up in the ruleset.

Is there some file in the ruleset itself that needs to be changed also?

edfig
November 2nd, 2007, 06:22
Is this definition file still contained within a FFII Ruleset? I sure don't seem to see one in the EXAMPLE ruleset.... The lack of guides is really making it tough...and its hard to determine what still applies to FGII versus old data from FGI

Foen
November 2nd, 2007, 07:30
I think you need to change the name of the ruleset in client.xml to match the one in definitions.xml (Transformers Basic Rules). Also make sure you have matching case (FG2 is case sensitive).

In reply to edfig's question, modules are not contained in rulesets, they are held in a different sub-directory in the FG2 Application Data folder. And almost nothing applies from FG1 to FG2 *grin*

Foen

Griogre
November 2nd, 2007, 20:21
Yeah, I agree with Foen, sounds like you may not have changed the name in the client. The name tags in the definition.xml and client.xml need to *identical* in case and spaces. I would suggest cutting and pasting from one to the other. Make sure you are not using word or some other word processor to avoid the hidden formating characters use Notepad or any programing editor.

cbradshaw007
November 3rd, 2007, 01:26
This sounds stupid but did you actually open the book so to speak? I forgot to actually tell the program to allow the mod to be used. You feel real stupid when that happens.

thrylax
November 4th, 2007, 00:00
Well....I feel really stupid now....but for a different reason.
When I repacked the files back into a zip file, I packed the folder containing those files rather than the files themselves. So I just went into the folder containing them, selected all the files by themselves, zipped it up, renamed the .zip to .mod and BAM!!!
Now it works perfectly. :D
Thanks for the help guys....greatly appreciated.