PDA

View Full Version : Why, oh Why, oh Why!?

VenomousFiligree
October 31st, 2007, 21:41
I have the full version of FG2 and I have the Savage Worlds ruleset...

So.....

WHY do I have to download the SW ruleset EVERY time I log onto a new Savage Worlds session!!!!!

It's really starting to f$%^ me off! :mad: :mad: :mad:

joshuha
October 31st, 2007, 21:45
You mean someone elses campaign? This is because each campaign/ruleset combination creates a unique cache file for that campaign. This is done for multiple reasons.

One is that in case anyone names their ruleset the same as yours but has different files, you wouldn't want it to overwrite yours would you?

Another reason is to prevent distribution of intellectual property. It locks the ruleset into a encrypted .dat file I believe so that someone couldn't just connect to a campaign and grab someone's ruleset.

VenomousFiligree
October 31st, 2007, 21:49
Surely FG could check to see if you have the ruleset already??

joshuha
October 31st, 2007, 21:55
Well it would require a pretty big change. Like I said its the combination of Campaign-Ruleset that makes the unique dat file. My friend has the Savage Worlds ruleset but has customized the graphics to make it more sci-fi yet it's still called the same thing. If I connected to his and it detected the same ruleset name you come into problems with how to handle that. By making it a combination of Campaign-Ruleset this largely eliminates that.

Although as an aside, that brings up an interesting question, what if I connect to two people with the same campaign-ruleset combination? I will have to test that out.