PDA

View Full Version : Steam Deck! And resolution issues

Neovirtus
July 16th, 2022, 03:26
I recently got my Steam Deck and was pleased to find that FGU runs on it pretty well. I wouldn't try to run a game from it probably, but I'm hopeful it'll solve my long standing desire to read reference manuals on the go.

The only issue I've noted so far is that no matter what settings I specify, it does not run at the native resolution of 1280x800, it always has black bars on the sides. Is there any way to force it to use a specific resolution, or an extension that might help?

Edit: This is currently running the Windows version of FGU through Steam's compatibility layer. I may try to get the Native Linux version working later, but this was the simplest approach and it works!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53556&d=1657938393

Talen
July 16th, 2022, 14:16
That's a promising development. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes in use as a player if umyou ever give it a go. Still waiting on my fulfillment order.

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2022, 18:52
FGU is not specifically supported on Steam Deck, so you'll be on your own for this exploration.

I don't have a Steam Deck, nor am I familiar with the emulation layer it uses and how resolution is determined.

FGU is a Unity windowed application. The Unity engine saves/loads it's own sizing information. After the initial load, we attempt to set resolution to a minimum of 1024x768 (times UI scale setting), if it is smaller.

Regards,
JPG

Neovirtus
July 16th, 2022, 20:18
Totally understand, and not expecting official support. For the time being it seems to work reasonably well out of the box, though I'll update later after I've been able to test networking connectivity.

bmos
July 16th, 2022, 22:41
FGU is not specifically supported on Steam Deck, so you'll be on your own for this exploration.

I don't have a Steam Deck, nor am I familiar with the emulation layer it uses and how resolution is determined.

FGU is a Unity windowed application. The Unity engine saves/loads it's own sizing information. After the initial load, we attempt to set resolution to a minimum of 1024x768 (times UI scale setting), if it is smaller.

Regards,
JPGIt uses Proton (which is the same thing Steam does if you run Windows games on Linux via Steam).

FG for Ubuntu is still beta, right?
When it's not, do you plan to also release the linux build via Steam?

Moon Wizard
July 17th, 2022, 02:43
The Linux build runs on Ubuntu, and has not been beta since FGU original release.

I still have the feeling that there will probably be some hiccups trying to run on Steam Deck, due to the customized hardware/screen and possibly custom OS settings.

Regards,
JPG

Neovirtus
July 17th, 2022, 02:55
It appears that if you launch FGU from the Arch Linux desktop (still using the Windows version via Proton) The resolution issues I mentioned previously are solved. It actually looks really nice and crisp, and is very responsive. So the issue appears to be in the SteamOS overlay. No big deal, I'll just launch it from the desktop, it's very simple to do.

I still haven't tested networking functionality.

Neovirtus
July 19th, 2022, 14:49
Just FYI for anyone else with a Steam Deck who finds this thread later - I did confirm that the cloud network connection does not work through the Proton compatibility layer. I assume the native Linux installation will be more likely to be successful, but I'm not sure I'll get around to testing that any time soon.

debitvictory
October 25th, 2022, 02:12
Hi lavoiejh, after another few months with it, any success getting FGU to work with your Steam Deck? Have you been able to run games with it?

Neovirtus
October 26th, 2022, 18:32
No debitvictory, I haven't messed with it at all really. Using it to run a game is not something I really anticipate needing to do for myself so I haven't explored it any further unfortunately.