PDA

View Full Version : Adventure modules and NPC records

Varsuuk
July 6th, 2022, 04:16
When converting a module for Smiteworks (intent is that the Publisher will work with SW to put it in the regular store) from an existing physical/pdf product for 5E how are you supposed to handle things like NPC records?

For example, the module calls for "Elk" in the random encounters.

Do I copy to my module building campaign a local "elk", if so, do I grab from my Smitworks 5E MM module or from the 5E SRD?
Or, do I just create an encounter by pulling it from the MM/SRD module without first adding it to local NPCs?

I recall that for WotC modules, all the monsters are included. But I suspect for other companies like FGG,TLG, etc - you would grab the SRD versions?
If so, I guess EVERYONE (who would RUN the modulee) gets the SRD, right? So there is no need to add it to the adventure module or?

New to anything but utilities/AdventureCards and ruleset work so never gave it thought.

Varsuuk
July 6th, 2022, 04:37
Think I answered my own question once I thought about it - if this is covered elsewhere and therefore serves no purpose, delete the thread ;)

I would just LINK to the creature like: reference.npcdata.elk@* to match either SRD or MM etc as the user owns?
I am doing via WYSIWYG for once (previously did all NPC creation/lining in XML) so guessing it will be saved with "xxxx@SRD Bestiary"or whatever the mod is called and I can just hand edit the produced xml to anon it?

Zacchaeus
July 6th, 2022, 08:54
Use this tool https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/101/view

And yes, you must use the SRD and not anything else when developing third party stuff.