PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 2d20 ruleset feedback and suggestions

Valyar
June 27th, 2022, 11:28
We are preparing for some Fallout games in near future (with very high level of enthusiasm, because of the killer looking ruleset!), and until then I am providing some feedback from the perspective of me as GM and two group of players below.

Font size for body text - the body font is very small for all my players, myself including. They have from 1080p to 4k systems. Also, because we use electric green + black background, as in the old eye-burning CRT days, eye fatigue creeps in fast and is super heavy after short session of rules checking and item browsing. The scaleui is not a solution to this problem, because it increase every interface element and makes matter worse for the laptop users My suggestion is to provide extension that increase the font size for the body text or in general increase the font size (looking at the overall design, it should not break any interface element).
Images quality - many great looking images from the PDF look with artifacts in FGU. It seems the level of compression is too high and kills the crisp looking product. I got the "dated" remark.
Reference manual - The wish here is to have the book split in two - player and GM sections. There is no reason to share all NPC and other details with players. There are many people that have no remorse to cheat or sneak peek at stuffs that aren't supposed to be there. I know that if they have the PDF, there is nothing preventing them to do so, but still the approach taken with D&D and other product is really welcomed here. GM will be able to selectively share NPCs, rather than having the whole gang visible day 1.
More descriptive image names - names could be more user-friendly, rather than file-system like :)

Some enhancement suggestions

Party overview in party sheet - everyone loves the principle of party overview in party sheet in 5e. To see stats and key info of each in the group. Maybe for future enhancement.
Allow in GM options to prevent opening of character wizard on empty sheet. Player's don't want the wizard opened every time automatically.
Increase font size on tabs on PC and NPC sheets (yeah, this links to the first feedback) to be more visible.

superteddy57
June 27th, 2022, 13:44
Thanks for the feedback and certainly things to consider.

Valyar
June 27th, 2022, 14:57
Another suggestion from improvement after some testing of character generation and quick combats:

On the MAIN tab of the PC sheet:

Increase the size of the Traits/Perks frame to be bigger and accommodate bigger lists without scrolling, while reducing the Attributes frame just to fit static length of SPECIAL. High-level characters will have a lot in those lists and currently with 2-3 per line it is hard to navigate. Also some issues with alignment of the two lists and their headers. Screenshot attached.
Same for Allies, allow for more than few allies.

Inventory management:

When drag & drop gear to COMBAT tab, nothing happens, but the item is added silently to Inventory list. Players added too many weapons and gear without knowing. Either add the weapon directly to the equipped weapon or when moving to inventory print chat message informing the players for this. Also I think it is great to print player-only message when weapon is equipped and moved between tabs.
In Items library, add buttons that generate reference tables for Melee, Small, Big, Armor etc, like in D&D ruleset. Players love the summary tables to visualize easily and compare items, instead of clicking on each.

Valyar
July 1st, 2022, 19:43
Another suggestion that came from the group - allow ctrl+mouse scroll for increase/decrease various things in the PC sheets. In addition to the arrows.

superteddy57
July 1st, 2022, 20:02
Thanks for the feedback, I will take that into consideration.

Valyar
July 2nd, 2022, 19:17
Another suggestion from my side after round of character creation is to have equipment packs for origin and tag skills added automatically to the PC's inventory upon completion.

Valyar
July 9th, 2022, 18:00
Time for another suggestion for improvement, that hopefully will land in the ruleset along the rest! The game is quite crunchy and heavy, and we have hard time remembering all Damage Effects and Weapon Qualities.

The suggestion is to implement tooltip or something else that is possible with FGU interface to quickly read what the Dmg Effect and Wpn Quality is. In Foundry VTT many systems implement very convenient for players labels to show all those things. Here I imagine at least something in the item's property - tooltip or label always visible.

superteddy57
July 9th, 2022, 18:10
Thank you for the feedback. I have this on my list of things to finalize. I have attempted during development to make this available, but all the solutions I was not happy with. With my new super secret project has them as well and if a solution is found Fallout will benefit as well.

Valyar
July 9th, 2022, 19:22
A super secret project!

superteddy57
July 9th, 2022, 19:51
Yup, could get you on double super secret probation if any hints are leaked.

Shinmuriel
July 29th, 2022, 18:45
I have a suggestion, it would be really great to have the option to add custom skills. One of the first and most obvious limitations to the Fallout rules is the narrow skill set and I see many players have already made fill-able character sheets that allow for it. Would be nice to have that in the Fallout FGU set.

Shinmuriel
July 29th, 2022, 18:49
Another suggestion would be to add the option to make custom origins.

superteddy57
July 29th, 2022, 18:53
Another suggestion would be to add the option to make custom origins.

You can create custom origins

As for your suggestion related to custom skills, the systems provided by Modiphius are very rigid with skills and how they are linked within the system. Something to consider, but not something that will be high on my list of expansion for the ruleset.

Shinmuriel
August 13th, 2022, 00:16
I noticed that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to raise the difficulty of an attack roll when using the d20 from the weapons section of the combat tab on the player character sheets. For example, when a weapon is out of range (incurring an +1 to the difficulty of attacks) and the player is targeting an NPC the attack bypasses the difficult modifier (D0, D1, D2, etc) and simply uses the targets defense. And that makes sense, because if it didn't the GM would have to set the target difficulty constantly which would be taxing.

But right now, in order to account for a difficulty increase we are switching to the Main tab and using the weapon skill to roll attack, then switching back to the combat tab to grab the damage dice from the weapon in order for the "hit location" to be rolled and damage applied correctly in the combat tracker.

It's not a big deal but its inconvenient and wastes time, not sure how to go about implementing it since adding a modifier using the modifier tool will add extra dice rather than alter difficulty. Maybe add a second modifier box for attacks? Or a little tab to the current box that applies a difficulty to the next attack?

Or maybe have an override button that temporarily allows the Difficulty modifier (D0-D6) to apply to combat?

Chewie81
October 9th, 2022, 22:10
See my response in this thread

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?75393-how-do-we-increase-damage-for-ranged-attacks

It involves making status effects that boost the defence stat for the creature being targeted by an attack instead of applying a penalty to the attacker. Does the same job as increasing difficulty

Shinmuriel
November 2nd, 2022, 21:46
Hey, I have a question/suggestion.

One of players has an animal follower as an ally on her character sheet but she can't move the token for it when its on a map... I understand that the rules say that players are to roll CHA + Survival, INT + Science, etc to command allies but the FGU ruleset is a little too strict maybe? Is it possible to leave room for players to control there own allies token movement? I mean, I have enough going on as a GM with 20 menus open on three monitors, heh.

Am I missing something perhaps, there isn't an option to allow players to move their allies tokens is there?

superteddy57
November 2nd, 2022, 21:57
It's a CoreRPG feature that needs to be enabled. In Options, you will need to turn on Token > Token: Party vision and movement. This will allow players to move allies.

Shinmuriel
November 2nd, 2022, 22:23
Thank you again. =)

bawsr
November 20th, 2022, 00:17
Okay to put on the wish list for Fallout FG.. I would love to have the alternate initiative option :).

(if I had my way it would be every turn but that is just me)

Currently I am going to make a weapon called init and allow the pc to roll it to generate their initiative. (just in case you aren't familiar the fallout gamemaster's toolkit has alternative initiative option)

bawsr
November 23rd, 2022, 17:03
Another suggestion or perhaps I just don't know how to tell my players to do it. Is there an assist option or button. Currently we just have player roll a d20 and check to see if meets the skill. I would be wonderful to have an Assist button which would allow a player to roll a single d20 against their skill.

superteddy57
November 23rd, 2022, 21:29
Holding shift before clicking on a roll turns it into an assist

bawsr
November 23rd, 2022, 21:43
Thanks that helps. what about expending more ammo to do more damage?

superteddy57
November 23rd, 2022, 21:55
That is handled by hand. You can use the modifier box in the lower left to add the additional damage and then manually adjust the ammo count on the weapon entry.

srbongo
November 24th, 2022, 13:46
Thanks that helps. what about expending more ammo to do more damage?

If you're clicking and then dragging the damage dice from the character sheet onto a token or the chatbox, you can also right click to add another die.

superteddy57
November 24th, 2022, 14:33
You are correct, but it is with the right click as you are holding the left click. Just wanted to clarify.

Ragnorrak
January 16th, 2023, 03:36
I'm a huge Fallout fan, as well as a huge fan of 2d20 systems. I purchased the Fallout 2d20 on the day it was released.

It's fine. The main issue I have with it is that it is essentially a tabletop port of the Fallout 4 rules, but without being adjusted to play as a tabletop game.

In Fallout 4 (https://cheatcommands.cc/fallout-4-item-codes-working-list/), for example, you cannot wear a lab coat under armor; it is an outfit that replaces armor. The same rules apply on the tabletop...even if it doesn't make sense to wear leather armor over a lab coat.

In the video game, you can find cartons of dirty water that you can purify. The same is true on the tabletop, but there are no rules for making dirty water. So, even if you're near a large lake, you can't just scoop some up; you must first locate the ITEM known as dirty water.

Yes, both of these issues are easily resolved by a DM, but this is an example of the Oberoni Fallacy. Making house rules to fix a problem doesn't mean it wasn't broken in the first place.
Essentially, the Fallout 2d20 RPG emulates Fallout 4 by applying video game logic to a tabletop game.

The 2d20 system has some flaws, but no more than any other tabletop system.

All of that being said, I had a great time playing the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just be prepared to create a slew of house rules for everyday occurrences.