PDA

View Full Version : So what videos do you want to see?

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2022, 18:27
So every so often on the forums and on Discord I see people moaning that there's not enough tutorials or instructions for FGU or that the videos that are available are too long.

With this in mind I'm thinking of doing a series of short tutorial videos (like 5-10 minutes long) but rather than just shoot in the dark I need some input as to where to concentrate such an effort. It's all right making dozens of videos if it's not going to achieve anything. So, over to you. Tell me what videos you would have found useful when you were just starting out. Where are the roadblocks? What are the biggest things that you had a problem with? If you are a new user what hurdles are you finding to access the software?

Temmpest
June 25th, 2022, 19:07
First, I'd like to say I love the tutorial videos you've made so far. As a DM I wouldn't mind a more thorough explanation on the different "effect" settings, such as Expenditure (On next action, on next roll, etc.)

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2022, 19:19
First, I'd like to say I love the tutorial videos you've made so far. As a DM I wouldn't mind a more thorough explanation on the different "effect" settings, such as Expenditure (On next action, on next roll, etc.)

See video seven here at about 12:30 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

Temmpest
June 25th, 2022, 19:30
Thank you!

Ulric
June 25th, 2022, 23:52
So every so often on the forums and on Discord I see people moaning that there's not enough tutorials or instructions for FGU or that the videos that are available are too long.

How about a video on using the "Slash Commands" in the chat window. I would also like to know what application you use to make the red circle around your mouse arrow in the videos.

johnecc
June 26th, 2022, 01:38
Hey Zacchaeus, is there a recent one explaing all the GM & Player settings in the Options menu?

GunnarGreybeard
June 26th, 2022, 02:08
Hey Zacchaeus, is there a recent one explaing all the GM & Player settings in the Options menu?

If you are looking for stuff that is newer, Stoehovve has some videos you may want to check out. > https://www.youtube.com/c/stoehovve/videos

Temmpest
June 26th, 2022, 03:43
See video seven here at about 12:30 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

So those videos are 5 years old. Do they need to be updated?

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2022, 09:26
So those videos are 5 years old. Do they need to be updated?

Except for the interface - and the fact they were done for Classic - not really since the effects haven't changed. But I think I will update some of my earlier, more popular, videos so that they are more relevant to Unity.

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2022, 09:30
How about a video on using the "Slash Commands" in the chat window. I would also like to know what application you use to make the red circle around your mouse arrow in the videos.

See video five here (it's for Classic but not a lot has changed in Unity) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

I use a programme called Screencast-O-Matic to record videos.

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2022, 09:37

See video three here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49957-Combat-Tracker-Videos&p=444203#post444203 It is a bit out of date and you've been directed to a more recent one (or three I think it is). In many ways this is too big a subject for what I had in mind really. Even if I fly through the options it would take 20 minutes or so. I should probably update that one though so at least it has the same interface as Unity has now.

HywelPhillips
June 26th, 2022, 19:54
Would a series of short intro videos done systematically for each different ruleset on the store be worthwhile?

Like for people familiar with the basic VTT elements of FG, so no need to cover the generic assets/images/etc but telling you the stuff you want to know on your first session running or playing a new system via FG.

Character generation, the combat tracker, what levels of automation are supported, anything that's conceptually quite different from other rulesets.

For example, Vaesen's combat tracker resolves combat result in stages because you can allocate excess successes to different things, so covering how that works as it's quite different from most systems.

But if char gen mostly works by drag and drop, you can just say that "You drag and drop your profession here and then likewise for talents" rather than going through in full step-by-step detail, so you can cover the bits which are different for this system.

I've been toying with short articles along those lines, so if I might find them useful in written form, others might find them useful as videos?

Cheers, Hywel

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2022, 19:58
Probably but I don't really know many rulesets other than 5e and PFRPG2 so I'd be no use at that.

HywelPhillips
June 26th, 2022, 19:59
Probably but I don't really know many rulesets other than 5e and PFRPG2 so I'd be no use at that.

Fair do's :)

I might look at putting something together in written form for the ones I've got reasonably familiar with, then.

LordEntrails
June 27th, 2022, 01:35
We seem to get a lot of questions around creating modules. Without going into a lot of detail, what about a short series related to development campaigns? Maybe something like;
1) Creating a Development Campaign and exporting to a module
2) Updating a Development Campaign and updating the exported module
3) Re-Using Content from other modules in your development campaign (i.e. copy versus reference)
4) ...?

Other topics, if you don't already have videos for them:
- Exporting & Re-Using LOS from a Map
- Exporting NPCs
- Managing Characters in multiple campaigns

Zacchaeus
June 27th, 2022, 08:56
Yes, those are good suggestions. I have old videos on almost all of that; I've actually started on a program of updating most of my older videos. I posted a manage characters video just a couple of days ago in the How do I sticky in the House of Healing Unity forum. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112

GunnarGreybeard
June 27th, 2022, 14:57
So much has changed in the last few years (and since many of the videos have been made) that any new ones will likely be welcomed. I think Stoehovve is doing an excellent job although it appears he recently got slowed down due to illness. It'll just take time for him to go through all the stuff that needs covering.