PDA

View Full Version : Some questions before purchase

Kanchelsis
October 24th, 2007, 11:46
Hi all!

I'm very impressed with what I've seen here so far. FG seems like the perfect answer for my friends and I!

I've some questions in mind. Hope someone would be kind enough to light my way (-4 penalty right now) =P

1. Is the connection peer-to-peer, or must we connect to a central FG server to host/join a game?

2. Out of the box, does FG fully support traditional 3.5 DnD ? Or is it more for modern d20, and I have to customize FG to fully support traditional 3.5? (I'm more of a traditional 3.5 DM/player)

3. If FG supports traditional 3.5 DnD, then does it contain rules, class(normal and prestige), spells and such from other supplementary materials? For example, those detailed in the Faerun campaign setting, or maybe even the Monte Cook's Book of Vile Darkness?

4. I've read about Digital Adventures' Complete SRD Ruleset. What does it contain? For example, does it really contain all the supplementary materials from DnD, like the ones I mentioned above?

5. Can I install FG on both my desktop and laptop?

Thanks mightily! I know I'm a noob here =P

Valarian
October 24th, 2007, 12:04
1. Is the connection peer-to-peer, or must we connect to a central FG server to host/join a game?
The players connect to the GMs computer, not a central server. You can use an alias, which checks the GMs IP address against a central server, to allow you players to connect without giving them an IP address each time.

2. Out of the box, does FG fully support traditional 3.5 DnD ? Or is it more for modern d20, and I have to customize FG to fully support traditional 3.5? (I'm more of a traditional 3.5 DM/player)
Out of the box, FGII supports the Fantasy SRD from Wizards of the Coast. I don't think that there is any modification required to support D&D3.5 as the Fantasy SRD is currently 3.5.

3. If FG supports traditional 3.5 DnD, then does it contain rules, class(normal and prestige), spells and such from other supplementary materials? For example, those detailed in the Faerun campaign setting, or maybe even the Monte Cook's Book of Vile Darkness?
The out of the box settings has basic information from the Fantasy SRD. Basic classes, races, some equipment, some monsters etc. It's a subset of the complete SRD though. Not everything is there, just the basic reference stuff. This doesn't stop you using your rule books to create characters using the supplementary information. If you agree with your player than he can use the Bard supplement for his character, then you can still create the character using FGII. You just won't have the reference material at your fingertips, you have to use your reference book as you would at the gaming table.

4. I've read about Digital Adventures' Complete SRD Ruleset. What does it contain? For example, does it really contain all the supplementary materials from DnD, like the ones I mentioned above?
I believe that Digital Adventures Complete SRD contains everything that's in the SRD section of the Wizards website (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35). Someone from Digital Adventure should be able to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

From the Digital Adventures website
An update to our most popular product, the Complete SRD is now available in module form for Fantasy Grounds II. Over 800 pages of information taken directly from the Standard Reference Document and converted to modules of Basic Rules, Divine, Monsters, Magical Items, Epic, Psionics, and Spells! All of this information is now available for Fantasy Grounds II.

Legally, you would need two licenses to do this.

If you want to try things out, grab the demo from the downloads section and try it with a couple of your players. The demo is still the first version of Fantasy Grounds (version 2 is even better), but it'll give you a feel of what to expect. There are limitations, you can't save characters and you can only use the demo version to connect to the demo version.

Sorontar
October 24th, 2007, 12:14

Hi and welcome

1) Essentially one player acts as the DM and hosts as the server and the other players connect to him. If you are happy distributing your IP then FG2 doesn't need to connect anywhere else. If however you wish to use the IP Alias feature I believe FG2 uses Smiteworks servers to route traffic to the correct place.

2) FG2 contains 3.5 D&D SRD information (although I believe some of the more recent info from the updated SRD is absent) although entry onto character sheets is not automated in some parts such as class selection etc. You are presented with a character sheet and which is 3.5 based and you fill it. Automation has been introduced nicely for levelling skills etc.

3) Base SRD info, so additional supplemental info would either have to be entered by yourself as a module, bought if Digital Adventures have the license purchased, or just used from books in the background and entered onto the character sheet if a feat/skill/spell etc.

4) All the stuff missed in base FG2 install (Epic rules, psionics etc)

5) I believe so yes although they could connect to each other with them using the same key. Technically you should have 2 licensesFAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_lice nse_1) info

Hope this helps.

Kanchelsis
October 24th, 2007, 12:24
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies ppl :) You've helped fill in some of the gaps for me.

Guess I'll try out the demo with my mates as Valarian suggested, then we'll proceed from there. Probably 1 full version and some lites :D

It's a blast when we could all meet up and dice with each other, but with work (and wives), its getting hard to commit the time for a 'guys night' ... hahaha. Hopefully, FG will help us recapture the lost joys of our misspent youth! :rv:

Sorontar
October 24th, 2007, 12:32
Also worth noting when purchasing Lites that they cannot be updated to full.

Just something to keep in mind if anyone else is planning to DM.

Best of luck in getting more "guys nights" :D

zifnab69_fr
October 24th, 2007, 18:54
Well in a friend group, there is always 2 or 3 GM . One for ADD, an other for cthulhu....
so i thing you must have 2 or 3 full licence.
Or, i don't know if it's legal, but when you are not a GM, you can probably uninstall the full software, give the full licence to the new gm who give you it's light....
I thing it's very difficult.
i'll be great to be able to convert a lite to full....
Why not a short serial number like 10 caractères for the lite and a long serial for the full.... You have a light you want to have a full, you take your lite licence, add a new set of caractere on it and have a full

so lite licence 127758699847
you want to change it to a full, smithwork sell you the rest of the licence like
2275886487632 so your new full licence is
127758699847-2275886487632
Well it's an idea

Foen
October 25th, 2007, 06:33
As regard licences, I think elsewhere there has been a debate about giving them to a friend and the answer: you are not allowed to pass it on once it has been installed.

On the PC/laptop thing, I confess that I have the same licence installed on both: I use the laptop to develop content with (I spend a lot of commuting time on trains) and then transfer it to the desktop to GM/play. You cannot have one of them connected to the other any way.

Strictly, I'm not sure if installing it twice for the same user but on different machines is against the licence rules (it might be).

Stuart

zifnab69_fr
October 25th, 2007, 09:27
hello foen...how are you ? :)
well so a question.
we are 7 friends and we always play saturday night....
we buy 1 full and 6 light. so it cost a great price .... but it's a great soft....
bob is the game master for ADD. and we play for month.
At the end of the campaign, we want to play a call of cthulhu campaign.
Freddy is our special CoC game master.
He have a lite licence because he is a Add player and play for month with us.
What must he do now ? buying an other full licence ?
So he buy a lite and now an other full ? at full charge ?

What 'll be the best for me. You are in a friend group, you buy 1 full for gm and 6 lite and then, you ll be able to play at 7 players. And you can change your "job" "player" or "GM" as you want as far as you have at the same time 1 full and 6 lite.
But if it's forbiden......

Sigurd
October 25th, 2007, 12:13
I don't want to say light licenses are not a good idea but everyone in our group that bought one eventually replaced it with a full license so they could DM, test, or plan to DM.

If you have any doubt in your mind I'd reccommend the full license. Its much more flexible and I don't think its such a price difference.

Sigurd

Sorontar
October 25th, 2007, 12:52
I don't want to say light licenses are not a good idea but everyone in our group that bought one eventually replaced it with a full license so they could DM, test, or plan to DM.

If you have any doubt in your mind I'd reccommend the full license. Its much more flexible and I don't think its such a price difference.

Sigurd

I'd back that up.

Griogre
October 25th, 2007, 19:06
I agree with the others that the differance in price is small is so small between the full and lite license that anyone who even thinks they might run a game in the future really should get a full license.

Foen
October 25th, 2007, 21:46
Hi zifnab69_fr!

I agree with Sigurd (it is always a good plan *grin*). If you are a player that has no intention of running a game, I imagine a lite licence might be useful.

If you are at all interested in being a GM, or messing about with content (just in case you get the chance), or want to develop new rulesets, or just want to help test some of the cool features, then a full version is going to be your thing.

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade from one licence to the other - you must purchase a new full licence.

I am in a group of eight folks, and three or four of us have the full licence - it is really helpful to have one GM active, while another is developing content for the next adventure (on the same ruleset or a different one). It gives each GM a rest between adventures.

Cheers

Stuart