PDA

View Full Version : Extension: AD&D Options and House Rules

Doomsword
June 16th, 2022, 01:15
UPDATED: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?74104-Extension-AD-amp-D-Options-and-House-Rules&p=664732&viewfull=1#post664732

Hello.

I built an extension that changes some things in the 2E ruleset to more closely match the way things should be done in 1E and/or OSRIC.

It's mostly related to surprise and initiative but it does make slight modifications to the character sheet with regard to kits, delay and ability score checks.

The following options are currently available, though I intend to add more.

Change initiative die to d6, and use a d6 icon in the combat tracker
Change surprise die to d6 or d12 and update surprise range based on surprise die
Disallowing initiative modifiers
Grouping initiative by PC, NPC, both or neither
Allowing initiative ties for simultaneous initiative situations
Swapping grouped initiative results between PCs and NPCs, particularly useful for OSRIC RAW
Descending initiative order
Resetting initiative at the start of a new round
Disallowing and removing the "Delay" option from the character sheet
Disallowing ability checks, removing the ability to drag an ability score die from the main tab of the character sheet to make an ability check
Removal of the options for "kit" selection from the character sheet

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/add-options-house-rules.jpg

You can find it in the Forge, here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/688/view

Doomsword
June 30th, 2022, 02:39
This now includes the Core 1e extension, by the esteemed Celestian, with an option to turn it on or off.

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/add-options-house-rules-20220629-2jpg.jpg

Doomsword
August 15th, 2022, 19:31
Updated to 1.2 in the Forge.

It now includes:

Default to adding new fields for specifying the classes and levels that an NPC fights as or saves as. This should make it easier to handle NPCs that have character levels or NPCs that are designated as fighting or saving as a character class and/or a different number of hit dice. If only "Level or HD" is changed, the NPC will use monster matrices at the HD specified. If a class is specified without a level, the NPCs current hit dice will be used. If the "To Hit" fields are not populated, the NPC combat matrix is editable.
Option to use the OSRIC Hit Dice to Equivalent Level table to apply a fighter to-hit matrix to the NPC, versus the default to-hit matrix

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/add-options-house-rules-20220814.jpg

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/add-options-house-rules-20220814-1.jpg

My testing reveals that everything should work as I expect, but it might not, so if you find any issues or have any questions/requests, you can find me here or on the Discord (in the 2E channel).

Next up is bringing in the OSRIC Equivalent Level saving throw matrix as an option.

EOTB
August 16th, 2022, 00:16
This is great! Thank you Doomsword! Anyone using it should delete the fudge factor effect that looks like this, or else the variance from the monster matrix will double

https://i.imgur.com/dMZIed0.png

Doomsword
August 16th, 2022, 04:30
Thanks!

I didn't think to look for that effect and nullify it if this is in use. I don't see why I couldn't do so. I'll look into that.

Doomsword
September 1st, 2022, 06:24
I was informed via PM (several days ago but just saw it a bit ago) that there was a problem in the extension, causing a d10 to be rolled for initiative regardless of setting. I have it fixed in the Forge and I'll publish it as soon as the Forge considers it ready. Make sure to update to receive the fixes.

Also, FYI, I have some changes coming to the extension that will make it better, as soon as I'm finished with some work on the Core 1e extension. Maybe 2 weeks...

PS - if anyone finds any issues with this extension or has any suggestions for it, hit me up in the Discord. I'm pretty much always there and you'll get a quick response.

Doomsword
October 9th, 2022, 07:12
I'm posting an update for this, with some significant changes and hopefully maintaining backward compatibility.

The basic idea is to transition this to an extension that works and provides usefulness for the OSRIC Ruleset (that I hope to release shortly), 2E RAW, and OSRIC/1E RAW run under the 2E ruleset, as well as anything that needs to be added later to support clones of either ruleset.

Of note for 2E players, it mostly positions the 2E ruleset at RAW, with options to turn on optional stuff. It also takes most of the standard options from 2E and moves them to a new location in the options menu.

I've really tried to intelligently make sure that no one's game breaks without their knowledge, keep all option settings that have already been set, and logically and carefully add/change things that needed to be changed to maintain fidelity with OSRIC/1E RAW and house rules and 2E RAW and rulebook optional rules.

Quick summary on who might want to use this and when:

For 1E players, for now, you would continue running 2E with the 1E option enabled and check your options carefully after upgrade
For 2E players, you should install this if you want some additional house rules and better options over the default
For old-school types that want to play 1E/OSRIC, hold tight for the OSRIC ruleset, but continue to use this as you already are and do check the updated options.
Once OSRIC is released, use it instead of 2E and only include this extension if you want something outside of OSRIC/1E RAW

Here's a quick spreadsheet on the options, reasoning and testing

Note that anything marked with a X below has been thoroughly tested as "working"

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/adnd_op_hr_settings-testing.jpg

^^ anything in yellow is just something I want to continue looking at.

Default 2E options that this extension affects

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/adnd_op_hr_default-2e-new.jpg

2E options after this mod is enabled

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/adnd_op_hr_options-2e.jpg

OSRIC Ruleset (forthcoming)

--defaults

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/adnd_op_hr_default-osric-1e.jpg

--options

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/adnd_op_hr_options-osric-1e.jpg

Please let me know if you find any issues with this or have any suggestions or comments. Thanks!

Doomsword
October 21st, 2022, 16:45
An issue was discovered when using this with the latest FG and 2E and attempting a party "rest". This has been resolved and published.

Doomsword
October 28th, 2022, 05:41
Next up on this is adding an alternate ability check type of 3d6, some cleanup and triple-testing against OSRIC ruleset changes. Let me know if there's anything else you want to see.

Doomsword
October 29th, 2022, 21:21
Pushed a fix for an issue I discovered, where init size mod vs item mod wasn't correctly calculating, resulting in init size mod sometimes incorrectly being 0.

Doomsword
October 31st, 2022, 03:49
Updated to fix issues with improperly entered data in the save matrices

Ramza
January 4th, 2023, 19:56
When I try to add the fighter OSRIC class into the Fights As box on an npc I get this error:

Script execution error: [string "..ons and House Rules:..fights_saves_as.lua"]:78: attempt to index field 'aFighterToHitMatrix' (a nil value)

It doesn't happen with other classes like the Ranger, but the THAC0 box still seems to being utilized, and not updated automatically. Is there a proper way to set this? I ave System: 1E/OSRIC Data turned On and System Monster Attack Matrices set to OSRIC in the options. Thank you

Doomsword
January 6th, 2023, 05:19
When I try to add the fighter OSRIC class into the Fights As box on an npc I get this error:

Script execution error: [string "..ons and House Rules:..fights_saves_as.lua"]:78: attempt to index field 'aFighterToHitMatrix' (a nil value)

It doesn't happen with other classes like the Ranger, but the THAC0 box still seems to being utilized, and not updated automatically. Is there a proper way to set this? I ave System: 1E/OSRIC Data turned On and System Monster Attack Matrices set to OSRIC in the options. Thank you

Yes, reproduced and fixed/released. Thanks very much for the feedback. This was a silly oversight on my part, due to inadvertently releasing some half-baked changes. Mostly. Did some further cleanup and fixed a couple really minor things I noticed while troubleshooting it. Let me know what else you find!

Coming up, I'm gonna make some changes to the chat messages resulting from attacks, especially when made with OSRIC/1E options enabled. I'll apply that to OSRIC ruleset, as well.

Morganwolf
January 18th, 2023, 07:19
Hello, any chance to see the 1E Comeliness Stat added along with the Honor from Oriental adventures; mainly interested in Comeliness. Choice in Options to add either; hopefully it won't cover over the Combat section. Regards.

Doomsword
January 18th, 2023, 16:01
Hello, any chance to see the 1E Comeliness Stat added along with the Honor from Oriental adventures; mainly interested in Comeliness. Choice in Options to add either; hopefully it won't cover over the Combat section. Regards.

Sure, that shouldn't be a problem. I'll work on it and post back when it's done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Uraence
January 24th, 2023, 06:51
Thanks for the mod!

I did find an issue with Armor Damage and Shields. When PC takes damage it does 1 armor damage to a shield first if it's equipped and not the armor. This is fine. However, when it reaches it's max Armor DP total it sets the Base AC to 10, but it should be 0. Armor being set to 10 is proper because the armor is destroyed and no longer providing it's base AC. The problem with shields is its AC is an AC bonus (+1 for non magical) and factors in as a -1 to overall AC. When the shield is destroyed and auto set to AC 10 it is factoring it as a -10 to overall AC.

So a Fighter with Dex 10 (Def Adj: 0) Chainmail (Base AC 5) and a Medium Shield (+1 AC) has an AC: 4. When the shield is destroyed the Fighter now has an AC: -5. I'm sure the player will appreciate that, but the DM may not. :P

Also, if there were a place on the char sheet (like the main tab) to track the current armor and shield damage at a glance vs having to open up the inventory item that would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time!

Doomsword
January 25th, 2023, 20:38
Thanks for the mod!

I did find an issue with Armor Damage and Shields. When PC takes damage it does 1 armor damage to a shield first if it's equipped and not the armor. This is fine. However, when it reaches it's max Armor DP total it sets the Base AC to 10, but it should be 0. Armor being set to 10 is proper because the armor is destroyed and no longer providing it's base AC. The problem with shields is its AC is an AC bonus (+1 for non magical) and factors in as a -1 to overall AC. When the shield is destroyed and auto set to AC 10 it is factoring it as a -10 to overall AC.

So a Fighter with Dex 10 (Def Adj: 0) Chainmail (Base AC 5) and a Medium Shield (+1 AC) has an AC: 4. When the shield is destroyed the Fighter now has an AC: -5. I'm sure the player will appreciate that, but the DM may not. :P

Also, if there were a place on the char sheet (like the main tab) to track the current armor and shield damage at a glance vs having to open up the inventory item that would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time!

Apologies for the delay - I missed this port.

I think you're probably using Sterno's mod along with this one, in that case. I didn't include any armor damage or anything like that.

I know that he's trying to not actively maintain it, but you may check here to see if this has been reported and worked around: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59690-Player-s-Option-crits-additional-automation-and-Hackmaster-style-house-rules

I CAN add armor damage and stuff like that to this mod, but it will be a bit before I can get to it. I can look at that when I work on another request that's already in my to-do list. I can give you a better timeline in including that, here, after I've looked at it, but I don't know that the 2 mods will work together in a way that allows me to do it while having both mods enabled.

I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Uraence
January 26th, 2023, 07:30
I don't know what's going on then. I don't have the Hackmaster ext enabled and when I turn yours off it still shows Armor Damage as an option. Perhaps it's the Fantasy Grounds coding for Combat & Tactics?

Doomsword
January 26th, 2023, 16:25
I don't know what's going on then. I don't have the Hackmaster ext enabled and when I turn yours off it still shows Armor Damage as an option. Perhaps it's the Fantasy Grounds coding for Combat & Tactics?

Yeah, I see that you're right. The 2E ruleset, itself, has an option for this. I never use it, so I had forgotten that it exists. I'll test it and at least get armor damage functioning correctly while this extension is loaded. Sorry if I accidentally set you off on a wild-goose chase.

Uraence
January 26th, 2023, 16:49
No prob at all. Def wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Sagrarius
February 3rd, 2023, 19:24
Hi, I've find this extension very useful, in special for the options of Group Initiative, but there is some issue with suprise checks when I try them. The following log appears to me:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string"..ons and House Rules:..rise_adnd_op_hr.lua"]:30: attempt to call field 'getCTFromActor' (a nil value)

Can you help me to solve it? Thank you!

Doomsword
April 2nd, 2023, 06:09
Hi, I've find this extension very useful, in special for the options of Group Initiative, but there is some issue with suprise checks when I try them. The following log appears to me:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string"..ons and House Rules:..rise_adnd_op_hr.lua"]:30: attempt to call field 'getCTFromActor' (a nil value)

My apologies for not responding sooner. I didn't see this or any notification of your post. I've been away doing some other stuff. I'll look into this right away. I just uploaded a new version that takes into account some of the underlying changes that have been made in the rulesets. That may fix your issue. At any rate, I'll test and make sure this gets corrected, as well as any other outstanding issues. I'll respond to this a little later on, once I've been able to test it.

Doomsword
April 3rd, 2023, 03:48

This issue should be fixed now. This was a pretty big one for anyone using this, so extra-sorry about that. If you guys have these issues, don't feel bad about spamming them at me.

Doomsword
April 3rd, 2023, 03:57
Next up on this, I'll look at armor damage, comeliness, honor. Let me know if I've missed something or if there's something else you want

Doomsword
April 5th, 2023, 23:59

Added options for either turning on Comeliness (UA) or turning on Comeliness and Honor (OA). Didn't do any automation or anything fancy. Anyone using these will either know what they're doing or will consult their 1E books. It works with both OSRIC ruleset and 2E ruleset (in case you have a reason to want to use these stats there).

Doomsword
April 8th, 2023, 04:01
Thanks for the mod!

Thanks for your time!

I've been looking into this, and I don't know if these issues are related to not having Armor DP set up for all of the items, because the ruleset doesn't appear to do that for you. I've started working on armor damage and at least have the DP values being populated when dropped into a character's inventory. I took the DP values from the Complete Fighter's Handbook, and everything from 2E PHB, OSRIC - Player's Content, and Complete Fighter's Handbook should now populate with those values.

It's based on the names of the items so it's not always gonna work, particularly in the case of misspelled, made-up or magical items but I'm gonna put some more work into that. Here's the item names it recognizes and auto-applies Armor DP to, case-insensitive:

banded mail
banded armor
brigandine
bronze plate mail
chainmail
field plate
field plate armor
full plate
full plate armor
gallic
hide armor
leather armor
mail shirt
mail hauberk or byrnie (chain)
mail elfin (chain)
padded armor
padded gambeson
plate armor
plate mail
ring mail
ring armor
samnite
scale mail
scale or lamellar
splint mail
splint armor
studded leather
studded armor
thracian
shield buckler
shield small
shield medium
shield body
shield large

Next up, I'll work on getting magic armors recognized, where possible. And, I'll work on getting the DP stuff viewable on the main sheet.

Haven't tested this in combat, but I imagine armor damage will work better now. As always, hit me up if you discover any problems before I do.

Sagrarius
April 14th, 2023, 18:39
Thank you so much, Doomsword. I had no time to check the new version yet, but I wonder do it soon. Another issue I noted before and forgot to mention here is that the Honor attribute was hiding some battle stats like Ac, Surprise and Taco. When I enter FG, I'll check this too and tell you here if the problem still persist. See ya.

fharlang
July 12th, 2023, 10:04
Has anyone noticed giants and other larger creatures have a set initiative of 9 even with the large creature initiative set to off?

Doomsword
July 17th, 2023, 05:44
Has anyone noticed giants and other larger creatures have a set initiative of 9 even with the large creature initiative set to off?

Sorry for the delay. Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. Something isn't working as it should. I'll get it corrected sometime this week, along with something that's been requested under the OSRIC ruleset options for this extension. Thanks for letting me know.

Doomsword
July 20th, 2023, 05:38

I started a new campaign, with the defaults, to try and troubleshoot this. I haven't been able to reproduce it, now. Can you show me the AD&D Options and House Rules options that you have set?

fharlang
July 20th, 2023, 21:17

It appears to only effect creatures with H as the size.

Doomsword
July 21st, 2023, 04:20

Ok, thanks very much. I can reproduce it with that info. I'll get it fixed.

Doomsword
July 21st, 2023, 05:50

This should be fixed now. Thanks for your help. I probably never would have found it, otherwise. Update to get the new version, and let me know if you see any other issues.

Doomsword
July 27th, 2023, 04:46
FYI, updated the extension to allow disabling OSRIC initiative swap and disabling OSRIC initiative ties. Also discovered/fixed an issue with adjusting initiatives to "fix" unwanted ties in 2E and OSRIC. Update for changes and, of course, test it before any game and let me know if anything doesn't work as expected.

fharlang
August 2nd, 2023, 10:11
Initiative is not working when this extension is enabled, as soon as I turn it off and restart multiple campaigns initiative works again. It was working on the Sunday game.

Doomsword
August 2nd, 2023, 17:41
Initiative is not working when this extension is enabled, as soon as I turn it off and restart multiple campaigns imitative works again. It was working on the Sunday game.

I haven't made any changes since Sunday. Maybe you just updated and the newest version broke something in your game? Anyway, I'll try to reproduce it with the options you have set. I'm assuming this is a standard combat in the combat tracker. If you have any further details, feel free to share them. Thanks.

fharlang
August 2nd, 2023, 20:25
I just unloaded all extensions and started a older campaign and it has the same issue, all initiatives are zero in the combat tracker and will not change except manually. Unload this extension and the d10 combat tracker initiative works.

Doomsword
August 2nd, 2023, 20:48
I just unloaded all extensions and started a older campaign and it has the same issue, all initiatives are zero in the combat tracker and will not change except manually. Unload this extension and the d10 combat tracker initiative works.

Ok, thank you. There's probably some sort of issue with "auto-roll all", assuming I can reproduce it. I'll get on it ASAP. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Doomsword
August 4th, 2023, 06:32

Yeah, not sure what happened, yet, but I can see the same thing you do. I'll do my best to fix this sometime in the afternoon/evening.

Doomsword
August 6th, 2023, 05:19

Apologies, bud. Real-life stuff got in the way the last couple of days. Should be good to go now. There were a couple of simple typos that caused this.

fharlang
August 6th, 2023, 22:13
I tested on a few current campaigns and everything appears to work fine, no worries as we still used the extension. Thanks for keeping this extension working.

Doomsword
August 6th, 2023, 23:21
I tested on a few current campaigns and everything appears to work fine, no worries as we still used the extension. Thanks for keeping this extension working.

Great, thanks. You're quite welcome; I intend to continue to support it for as long as it's used.

Vackipleur
December 28th, 2023, 18:57
Hello,

I'm trying to emulate AD&D1 with your extension and I'm having some trouble with the encumbrance :)

First of all, the Strength bonuses shown are for 2nd Edition, not 1st Edition.

If I put 9 in Strength, here are the movement variations:
Normal 0 - 37 lbs movement 120 ft
Light 38 - 72 lbs movement 80 ft
Moderate 73 - 107 lbs movement 60 ft
Heavy 108+ lbs movement 40 ft

Instead of (PHB 1E page 101-102) :
0-35 lbs = 120 ft
36-70 lbs = 90 ft
71-105 lbs = 60 ft
106+ lbs = 40 ft

If I put 17 in force, here are the variations in movement :
Normal 0 - 42 lbs movement 120 ft
Light 43 - 77 lbs movement 80 ft
Moderate 78 - 112 lbs movement 60 ft
Heavy 113+ lbs movement 40 ft

Instead of :
0-85 lbs = 120 ft
86-120 lbs = 90 ft
121-155 lbs = 60 ft
156+ lbs = 40 ft

I have, of course, tried the same character with the second edition ruleset without the extension, and it follows the rules for encumbrance given in PHB 2E page 103.

Celestian has created an extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/150/view) that makes the ruleset 1E but it's not compatible with your extension :)

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Doomsword
December 29th, 2023, 17:47
Hello,

I'm trying to emulate AD&D1 with your extension and I'm having some trouble with the encumbrance :)

First of all, the Strength bonuses shown are for 2nd Edition, not 1st Edition.

If I put 9 in Strength, here are the movement variations:
Normal 0 - 37 lbs movement 120 ft
Light 38 - 72 lbs movement 80 ft
Moderate 73 - 107 lbs movement 60 ft
Heavy 108+ lbs movement 40 ft

Instead of (PHB 1E page 101-102) :
0-35 lbs = 120 ft
36-70 lbs = 90 ft
71-105 lbs = 60 ft
106+ lbs = 40 ft

If I put 17 in force, here are the variations in movement :
Normal 0 - 42 lbs movement 120 ft
Light 43 - 77 lbs movement 80 ft
Moderate 78 - 112 lbs movement 60 ft
Heavy 113+ lbs movement 40 ft

Instead of :
0-85 lbs = 120 ft
86-120 lbs = 90 ft
121-155 lbs = 60 ft
156+ lbs = 40 ft

I have, of course, tried the same character with the second edition ruleset without the extension, and it follows the rules for encumbrance given in PHB 2E page 103.

Celestian has created an extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/150/view) that makes the ruleset 1E but it's not compatible with your extension :)

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Thanks for the detailed info. I think there was something else I was supposed to look at with encumbrance, too.

I'll get to it shortly.

FYI, Celestian's 1e extension, referenced in your post, is included in this extension, so there should never be a need to run both of them at the same time.

I'll send an update soon.

Thanks again.

Vackipleur
January 1st, 2024, 10:01
Thanks Doomsword and happy new year :)

fharlang
January 8th, 2024, 08:24
When I have the extension enabled the Hit chart shows all 20's, without it I see what it should look like.

Doomsword
January 13th, 2024, 22:58
When I have the extension enabled the Hit chart shows all 20's, without it I see what it should look like.

Ok, I'll try to reproduce/fix this. I may have a question or two after I look at it. Thanks!

Doomsword
January 24th, 2024, 03:58
Apologies for the delay...

Just uploaded a new version, which includes:

fix 1e/osric currency weights and calculations
fix 1e/osric ability score details
fix 1e/osric encumbrance values and thresholds
best-effort fix for 1e/osric in case your db has all 20s for matrix values (not sure how that happens, but hopefully this will mostly correct it)
fix for 1e/osric open doors (rolling d6 instead of d20)

Vackipleur
January 27th, 2024, 18:08
Hello,
Thanks for the corrections.
But a little problem with NPCs that have a character class. How do you create a character class and call up the corresponding attack matrix and the appropriate save table?
:)

EDIT: I think I've found it. You just need to type the character class (like Fighter, MagicUser, Cleric, etc)

Doomsword
January 28th, 2024, 18:44
New version released that fixes issues with Comeliness and/or honor on the player side and fixes some other ability-score-related issues.

Big thanks to fharlang for helping me out with some stuff he was seeing.

Doomsword
January 28th, 2024, 18:50
Hello,
Thanks for the corrections.
But a little problem with NPCs that have a character class. How do you create a character class and call up the corresponding attack matrix and the appropriate save table?
:)

EDIT: I think I've found it. You just need to type the character class (like Fighter, MagicUser, Cleric, etc)

Depending upon what you're trying to do, you can use "Fights As" or "Saves As" on the "Main" tab of the NPC record, along with the "Level or HD" for each. Hope that helps.

https://proitnow.blob.core.windows.net/images/fight-as-saves-as.png

Vackipleur
January 31st, 2024, 16:30
indeed ! Great extension ! Thank you for your work, Doomsword :)

Vackipleur
February 2nd, 2024, 16:01
Hello,
Sorry for the double post but I found a new problem with the coins weight. It's not possible to change the weight, they have to be 0.5 lbs each...
In my example, 100 coins weigh 50 lbs instead of 10 and this doesn't change anything if I've configured the currencies in FG.
Of course, I've tried it without the extension and it works normally with ruleset 2E.

Doomsword
February 2nd, 2024, 18:57
Hello,
Sorry for the double post but I found a new problem with the coins weight. It's not possible to change the weight, they have to be 0.5 lbs each...
In my example, 100 coins weigh 50 lbs instead of 10 and this doesn't change anything if I've configured the currencies in FG.
Of course, I've tried it without the extension and it works normally with ruleset 2E.

No worries at all, and thanks very much for the report. 1E coin weights were being applied, regardless of currency weights and in some other situations. This should now be fixed, and you should now be able to populate custom values for coin weight and have them reflected properly, regardless of 1E or 2E selection. If no custom currency weight is set, the extension will use 50 coins to a pound for 2E and 10 coins to a pound for 1E/OSRIC. Thanks again, and let me know if you find anything else wrong.

Edit: I know you set 0.1 as the value, but in your case, this was getting multiplied by 5 to set coin weights for 1E/OSRIC appropriately from the default 2E values. That shouldn't happen any longer

seanny
February 3rd, 2024, 03:12
When I make an attack roll the chat result does not have the same modifier as the red dice box on my character sheet.
Not sure why.
This is my 1st character.
I have used his Bow where my character sheet says 0 modifier.
But in Chat a -1 is shown to Dice Roll.
AND for my long sword I think ,my character sheet shows 1 modifier ( I assume +1 for my strength).
BUT in chat roll no modifier is shown to d20 roll.
Here is some screens.
Is this correct ,AND if so what is giving me a -1 modifier ,is that due to AD&D monster matrix ,SINCE the OSRIC matrix seems to give same result in chat.

https://i.imgur.com/ug3FF2p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/g2H9hE2.jpg

Is my starting level 1 characters THACO 20 ,what gives this -1 modifier ,EVEN though it is not shown in the preview red box for attack roll on my character sheet? I dont mind if this is what gives the modifier ,but should it ALSO be visible in this red box as well?

The Combat Tracker mimics my character sheet red box modifiers ,as in shows 0 modifier or else +1 modifier ,and the chat roll results still add another -1 to d20.
Few more screens. Showing Combat Tracker.
https://imgur.com/xlXbKJf
https://imgur.com/NOIMWwG

Doomsword
February 3rd, 2024, 04:19
Thanks for all the info. I'll check this out tomorrow. Might be that I included range modifiers, but I'm not sure right now. I'm sure I can do a better job of chat vs. actuality, however - haven't looked at that in a while. What's the range of this target?

EDIT: In retrospect, I'll at least look at the melee, first...

Vackipleur
February 3rd, 2024, 15:22
Thank you so much Doomsword! You're the best :)

I was wondering if it was possible to add the type "d6" in the choice of Skills in the tab of the same name? Indeed, it's possible to define a characteristic or a % but not a d6 in the Skills tab.
Would it be possible to add this choice to the extension, or is it ultimately linked to the ruleset (so it's up to the creator to do it)?

Doomsword
February 3rd, 2024, 18:06
@seanny

I hadn't noticed, but it's because of your character's encumbrance and the attack penalties that 2E assigns to those. OSRIC uses a lot of stuff from 2E, including this. It shouldn't have used this. To the best of my knowledge, there are no attack penalties for encumbrance in 1E or OSRIC, so I fixed it in the OSRIC ruleset. When you update, this should be taken care of. Thanks again for the excellent report - I'm surprised I never noticed it myself.

Doomsword
February 3rd, 2024, 19:00
Thank you so much Doomsword! You're the best :)

I was wondering if it was possible to add the type "d6" in the choice of Skills in the tab of the same name? Indeed, it's possible to define a characteristic or a % but not a d6 in the Skills tab.
Would it be possible to add this choice to the extension, or is it ultimately linked to the ruleset (so it's up to the creator to do it)?

Thanks!

Are you trying to add a skill in the main Skills tab, not the one on the character sheet? And, you want to add a skill that's rolled on a d6? If that's the case, you're probably best off matching the d100 to a d6, like so:

1 in 6 is ~16%
2 in 6 is 33 %
3 in 6 is 50%
4 in 6 is 67%
5 in 6 is ~84%
6 in 6 is 100%

It obviously wouldn't roll d6's in the case of rollables, but it would give you a good approximation. I think that's how most of the modules do it.

I probably could make it happen, but this comes from the core ruleset as far as I know. I do occasionally make modifications to the core, but I try not to do that too much so that I don't break anything.

If that's NOT what you're trying to do, can you give me more info?

Vackipleur
February 3rd, 2024, 19:52
You've understood me perfectly well. I find that rolling 1d6 is more OSR than rolling 1d100 :)
And of course, I've converted the odds on 1d6 to a percentage.

Doomsword
February 3rd, 2024, 23:33
I agree completely. I did end up finding where to change this, but it's not changing and I don't know the implications of changing it, yet. I'll continue to look at it, as time permits, but it appears that it will be quite time-consuming. That's provided I can find the time and other things aren't more important. Sorry for the unfortunate news on this one.

seanny
February 4th, 2024, 00:59
Thanks for update.

My attacks give same result in chat ,combat tracker and character sheet red box now.

Great.

Vackipleur
February 4th, 2024, 09:12
I agree completely. I did end up finding where to change this, but it's not changing and I don't know the implications of changing it, yet. I'll continue to look at it, as time permits, but it appears that it will be quite time-consuming. That's provided I can find the time and other things aren't more important. Sorry for the unfortunate news on this one.

Don't worry! It's a very minor feature. It's not important and I'm fine with the %. Thank you :)

Vackipleur
February 12th, 2024, 18:06
Hello,

Sorry double post but I think there's a problem with the attack matrices.
Are they configured for players? Because player-characters are subject to THAC0.
Unless I haven't understood how to do it :)

Doomsword
February 16th, 2024, 19:32
Hello,

Sorry double post but I think there's a problem with the attack matrices.
Are they configured for players? Because player-characters are subject to THAC0.
Unless I haven't understood how to do it :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was fixing another couple of issues that I noticed while looking at this.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what you're experiencing, but I do see that the PCs' matrix is wrong from the player side and correct from the DM side. Not sure what's up with that, yet. Could that be what's causing your issue? If it's something different that you're describing, can you give some more details?

I will work on fixing the matrix differences, because that's a pretty big deal for 1e/OSRIC.

Thanks for the report!

Vackipleur
February 18th, 2024, 09:12
Thanks Doomswords. That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Matrix are correct from the DM side and wrong from the player side.

A new feature, is it possible to modify the Weight allowance and Max Press values in the Inventory tab (and also in the characteristic STR), please?
The Weight Allowance could be 35 lbs + the bonus (or malus due to STR).
For example, if I have a strength of 17, my Weight Allowance would be 85 lbs (35 + 50 bonus) (i.e. before my movement is reduced).
The current Max Press is that of AD&D2. It should be 150 lbs + the Strength bonus (or malus) for AD&D1.
Example with a strength of 17 it should be 150 + 50 = 200 lbs.

And don't worry, you've got time. It's very kind of you to do this extension.
My players and I thank you very much for creating this extension. It allows us to play AD&D1 like it was 40 years ago ^^'

Doomsword
February 23rd, 2024, 22:21
Thanks Doomswords. That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Matrix are correct from the DM side and wrong from the player side.

A new feature, is it possible to modify the Weight allowance and Max Press values in the Inventory tab (and also in the characteristic STR), please?
The Weight Allowance could be 35 lbs + the bonus (or malus due to STR).
For example, if I have a strength of 17, my Weight Allowance would be 85 lbs (35 + 50 bonus) (i.e. before my movement is reduced).
The current Max Press is that of AD&D2. It should be 150 lbs + the Strength bonus (or malus) for AD&D1.
Example with a strength of 17 it should be 150 + 50 = 200 lbs.

And don't worry, you've got time. It's very kind of you to do this extension.
My players and I thank you very much for creating this extension. It allows us to play AD&D1 like it was 40 years ago ^^'

For whatever, reason, I didn't get a notification of your post.

Thanks for the kind words and the reports.

Those features are already there, but I didn't test them all from the player side. Turns out, I had to figure out how to make them available to the players due to a data limitation that I wasn't aware of. I did all that and tested it pretty extensively with the 2E ruleset. This extension also applies to my OSRIC (1E) ruleset, so I tested that out, found similar issues in the ruleset itself, and still need to test this extension with it. Things came up that got in the way of doing that and releasing the fixes.

I'll have a new version of this out ASAP. I simply need to make sure to test it enough that I can be fairly confident that it won't break anyone's games.

Releases coming soon...

Doomsword
March 3rd, 2024, 06:08
A new version of AD&D Options and House Rules is now available in the forge. I tested it as much as I reasonably could, both with 2E and OSRIC. There's no way to catch everything, so please let me know if you find any issues. It corrects a bunch of issues on the player side, including those involving the matrices. It also fixes some bugs that I discovered in testing. The internal changes are significant and there are player-facing changes that are probably noticeable, so you may wish to test it before updating. Thanks!

Doomsword
March 3rd, 2024, 19:56
A new version is available in the forge to fix GM rolling from the CT in OSRIC when the initiative die option has been changed from the default of d6.

Vackipleur
March 9th, 2024, 15:15
Hello Doomsword,
There's an issue with the Comeliness. It remains set at 9 and it is not possible to change this score...

Doomsword
March 9th, 2024, 16:05
Hello Doomsword,
There's an issue with the Comeliness. It remains set at 9 and it is not possible to change this score...

Thanks! I'll check it out and get it fixed.

Doomsword
March 11th, 2024, 22:55
New version available (1.75)
Fixes all issues I could find with clients not being able to access options set by the GM. This sometimes caused a lot of weirdness with dice settings and matrices and stuff
Fixes having to reload when almost all of the options are changed. You should now be able to change almost any option and have GM and clients being able to see the effects immediately
Fixes issue with CT sometimes not respecting ascending/descending order
Fixes comeliness not being adjustable

Thanks everyone for the bug reports. They've been very helpful. If you see anything please post in Discord, PM, or the forum, and I'll work on it.

Vackipleur
March 16th, 2024, 15:59
New version available (1.75)
If you see anything please post in Discord, PM, or the forum, and I'll work on it.

Hi,

New errors spotted:

[3/16/2024 3:48:47 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "2E:scripts/manager_combat_record_adnd.lua"]:231: bad argument #1 to 'random' (number expected, got nil)
[3/16/2024 3:49:24 PM] [WARNING] Frame d6red contains out-of-range values in TopLeft.

You can launch an encounter but if you have many monsters only one will appear in CT. And impossible to set initiative for monsters. Will stay to 0 even if you set initiative manually...

Doomsword
March 16th, 2024, 19:45
Hi,

New errors spotted:

[3/16/2024 3:48:47 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "2E:scripts/manager_combat_record_adnd.lua"]:231: bad argument #1 to 'random' (number expected, got nil)
[3/16/2024 3:49:24 PM] [WARNING] Frame d6red contains out-of-range values in TopLeft.

You can launch an encounter but if you have many monsters only one will appear in CT. And impossible to set initiative for monsters. Will stay to 0 even if you set initiative manually...

Thank you. I'll take a look at it and see what's up.

Doomsword
March 16th, 2024, 20:14
New version released (1.76):

Fixes issues with adding encounters to the combat tracker
Fixes issues with rolling init from a monster entry in the combat tracker

PS - can't set init manually and have it reflected in the ct list. I'll have to look at that, as I don't think I've ever tested that - will take a look when I have time

Vackipleur
March 16th, 2024, 21:03
New version released (1.76):

Fixes issues with adding encounters to the combat tracker
Fixes issues with rolling init from a monster entry in the combat tracker

Great ! It works now :)

PS - can't set init manually and have it reflected in the ct list. I'll have to look at that, as I don't think I've ever tested that - will take a look when I have time

Same for players. It's important, for example, if you want to set a different initiative for some players using missile weapons because it is adjusted by DEX bonus.

Each participant does not make a separate initiative roll. However, the Dexterity Attacking adjustment is
added to (or subtracted from) the initiative roll for each missile-firing combatant on an individual basis.

highwayman03
March 19th, 2024, 01:55
Copyright 2024 Smiteworks USA, LLC
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: (LINK)\rClock Adjuster v4.5:\rProvides an interface for easy time tracking and management.\nThis extension is a combined effort of PR6I6E6ST (Troy Monteith), bmos, PokeyCA, MeAndUnique, Corun-Kail, and JustinFreitas.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: (LINK)\nMoon Tracker v2.6\r--created by DMFirmy and updated by Andraax and bmos.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: Extension (Calendar - Generic Lunar Day) loaded.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: AD&D Options and House Rules v1.76 (2024.03.16)\rby Doomsword\r For use with the 2E or OSRIC rulesets
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: AudioOverseer - CoreRPG version 2.1.\rby Celestian, 2020-2022
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: Author - CoreRPG version 5.06.\rby Celestian, 2017-2020\r---\r/author help for options.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 144.911403
[3/18/2024 8:49:53 PM] s'updateHonor'
[3/18/2024 8:49:53 PM] s'updateComeliness'
[3/18/2024 8:49:57 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "2E:campaign/scripts/char_click_chooser.lua"]:67: openWindow: Invalid parameter 1

This is the error I get when I click on the Kit section of the Main page. Plus the kit name is all garbbled.

Doomsword
March 19th, 2024, 02:22
Copyright 2024 Smiteworks USA, LLC
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: (LINK)\rClock Adjuster v4.5:\rProvides an interface for easy time tracking and management.\nThis extension is a combined effort of PR6I6E6ST (Troy Monteith), bmos, PokeyCA, MeAndUnique, Corun-Kail, and JustinFreitas.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: (LINK)\nMoon Tracker v2.6\r--created by DMFirmy and updated by Andraax and bmos.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: Extension (Calendar - Generic Lunar Day) loaded.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: AD&D Options and House Rules v1.76 (2024.03.16)\rby Doomsword\r For use with the 2E or OSRIC rulesets
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: AudioOverseer - CoreRPG version 2.1.\rby Celestian, 2020-2022
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] EXTENSION: Author - CoreRPG version 5.06.\rby Celestian, 2017-2020\r---\r/author help for options.
[3/18/2024 8:49:49 PM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 144.911403
[3/18/2024 8:49:53 PM] s'updateHonor'
[3/18/2024 8:49:53 PM] s'updateComeliness'
[3/18/2024 8:49:57 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "2E:campaign/scripts/char_click_chooser.lua"]:67: openWindow: Invalid parameter 1

This is the error I get when I click on the Kit section of the Main page. Plus the kit name is all garbbled.

Thanks for the report. This should be fixed, once you update. Please let me know if you see anything else that's not working correctly.

Doomsword
March 24th, 2024, 01:14
New version available that fixes an issue when using magic shields from the OSRIC ref module. Also corrects encumbrance movement rates for 1E and OSRIC, and adds max movement rate by armor type.

ZippeeJerred
March 27th, 2024, 04:03
Hi,
there seems to be an issue with non-group initiative. With all options turned to deny group initiative (Neither / Off / Off) the CT is still rolling by group.

I can override for the PCs by rolling on individual sheets but then as soon as NPC initiative is rolled it includes the PCs and changes them to group with a fresh score.

Any form of initiative roll via the CT is by group.

Can't break out of the cycle at all its the same with both D6 and D10.

If I roll initiative from an NPC sheet nothing rolls - there's no change to any results on the CT

Doomsword
March 27th, 2024, 04:41
Thanks. I'll take a look...

Doomsword
March 28th, 2024, 23:25
Great ! It works now :)

Same for players. It's important, for example, if you want to set a different initiative for some players using missile weapons because it is adjusted by DEX bonus.

Latest update fixes being able to change innit values in ct node detail, and have it reflected in the list with the actor moved to the appropriate spot in the list. It was an issue with the d6 option and quite tricky, but should work now

Doomsword
March 28th, 2024, 23:27
Hi,
there seems to be an issue with non-group initiative. With all options turned to deny group initiative (Neither / Off / Off) the CT is still rolling by group.

I can override for the PCs by rolling on individual sheets but then as soon as NPC initiative is rolled it includes the PCs and changes them to group with a fresh score.

Any form of initiative roll via the CT is by group.

Can't break out of the cycle at all its the same with both D6 and D10.

If I roll initiative from an NPC sheet nothing rolls - there's no change to any results on the CT

This should be resolved in the new update.

Doomsword
March 28th, 2024, 23:27
New update available - 1.79

fix init mod changes in options when running under 2E
fix changing init values in a ct record when using d6 for init - now properly reflects the change and moves the actor to the correct position in the list
fix dragging actors to different spots in the list and properly updating d6 init values
fix initiative grouping issues when grouping options have changed
fixes for dm generating init from ct menu, to ensure values higher than the max die value won't be generated regardless of init die
other minor fixes for occassional weirdness, particularly in init and combat scripts

* please test everything that you can and let me know if you find problems. I test as much as is reasonable, but a lot of these updates, lately, have carried a lot of changes and refactoring, so things sometimes get missed and/or reintroduced. Hope I didn't break something!

ZippeeJerred
March 29th, 2024, 15:30
Many thanks for the quick response.

I've tested and played around with CT and initiative for most of the morning - can't find any errors. No doubt that'll happen 5 minutes into the next game :o

Will let you know if anything weird crops up

Doomsword
March 29th, 2024, 18:06
Many thanks for the quick response.

I've tested and played around with CT and initiative for most of the morning - can't find any errors. No doubt that'll happen 5 minutes into the next game :o

Will let you know if anything weird crops up

Yeah, that's the way it always goes...

Thanks for testing it out!

Vackipleur
April 1st, 2024, 17:32
@seanny

I hadn't noticed, but it's because of your character's encumbrance and the attack penalties that 2E assigns to those. OSRIC uses a lot of stuff from 2E, including this. It shouldn't have used this. To the best of my knowledge, there are no attack penalties for encumbrance in 1E or OSRIC, so I fixed it in the OSRIC ruleset. When you update, this should be taken care of. Thanks again for the excellent report - I'm surprised I never noticed it myself.

This AD&D2 feature is active again.
It's like the 2E effect

Encumbered
Moderate: ATK -1; Heavy ATK -2, AC -1; Severe: ATK -4, AC -3

Doomsword
April 2nd, 2024, 00:37
This AD&D2 feature is active again.
It's like the 2E effect

I might have reintroduced it, but I'm not sure I ever handled it when using the 2E ruleset vs. the OSRIC one. Thanks for the report.
It's now corrected in version 1.80 and I've also fixed a bug with incorrect currency weights calculating while the session is loaded. The latter was something I noticed while looking into this.

ZippeeJerred
April 3rd, 2024, 09:53
Yeah, that's the way it always goes...

Thanks for testing it out!

Turned out it took 10 minutes but . . .

First issue - spell duration in CT isn't clicking down, I know this was working a couple of weeks ago but not last night - also seems to be true for light sources.

Second issue - zombie initiative - they should always go last and have a INIT 80 effect in place which I assume is intended to put them on initiative 80 to ensure they go last (seems an odd number to pick but. . .) Anyway rolling NPC initiative on the CT kept rolling individual initiative for them. I could manually change it by overwriting for each on the CT but it was tedious.

Third issue (and this may be more OSRIC than general) but the PC sheets do not seem to be adding in the racial CON bonuses to saving throws for Dwarves and Gnomes - I can add this manually but would have thought it would be automated?

Similarly PC Thieves get neither racial or ability modifiers to their skills (oddly classed NPCs get their racial [but no ability] modifiers, I assume that's because they are pre-built in OSRIC)

Are these things meant to be automated?

Doomsword
April 4th, 2024, 00:56
Turned out it took 10 minutes but . . .

First issue - spell duration in CT isn't clicking down, I know this was working a couple of weeks ago but not last night - also seems to be true for light sources.

Second issue - zombie initiative - they should always go last and have a INIT 80 effect in place which I assume is intended to put them on initiative 80 to ensure they go last (seems an odd number to pick but. . .) Anyway rolling NPC initiative on the CT kept rolling individual initiative for them. I could manually change it by overwriting for each on the CT but it was tedious.

Third issue (and this may be more OSRIC than general) but the PC sheets do not seem to be adding in the racial CON bonuses to saving throws for Dwarves and Gnomes - I can add this manually but would have thought it would be automated?

Similarly PC Thieves get neither racial or ability modifiers to their skills (oddly classed NPCs get their racial [but no ability] modifiers, I assume that's because they are pre-built in OSRIC)

Are these things meant to be automated?

1. Spell and light effects durations are counting down properly for me. Maybe you have another extension installed that is interfering? If you want, let me know of a specific spell and I'll test it out. I tested several, as well as a couple of light effects
2. Zombies are definitely broken. I handle them and other monsters with custom init in a specific way that I seem to have accidentally left out at some point - I'll get this fixed quickly
3 and 4. Not automated but shouldn't be too difficult. I'll work on this as a feature request. If you have any others, let me know. Yeah, the thief NPCs being pre-built in the OSRIC reference work would certainly explain why those appear to be "working"

Thanks!

ZippeeJerred
April 4th, 2024, 08:44
Hi,
thanks for checking,

I'm only running AD&D House Rules and the classic light theme, no other extensions

Hmmm, it was web, spiritual weapon and torch light effects but I agree, they all seem to be working now. There has been a general update inbetween, maybe that sorted it.

Cheers for looking into zombies and racial/ability mods.

ZippeeJerred
April 5th, 2024, 13:31
Hi,
thinking of feature requests, would it be possible to have a "charging effect" for self that reduced active AC by 2 until the end of the round?

It should also add +2 to attacks but that might get messy with multiple attack routines in the round and besides I find that players like adding that bonus :) but adjusting AC on the fly is tougher and just adding +2 to enemy attacks isn't quite accurate what with the tables an' all.

A similar "casting effect" for self that suppressed DEX bonus to AC would be nice too . . .

JohnD
April 5th, 2024, 16:42
Charging; AC: -2
Spell Casting; NODEX

Set both to self and expire on round end should do it.

ZippeeJerred
April 5th, 2024, 17:54
Hi, appreciate the response and I'm sure what you say makes sense - but I don't know how to implement that I'm afraid

where do i use those lines to make an effect I can drop on a token?

Doomsword
April 5th, 2024, 22:54
There's also a "Charged" condition in the "Effects" window. You can drag that onto a token and it will apply +2/-1 modifiers. You'll need to go to the Effects tab of the actor in the CT and set a duration of 1 to make sure it expires at the beginning of a new round. I need to work on this and the other conditions to make sure they provide fidelity to the rulesets this supports (2E and OSRIC). I'll do that once I roll out the zombie fix.

I also have a very advanced extension that I wrote for personal purposes, which supports the way I run initiative and combat. In it, though, I use radials inspired by Sterno's prior work. Those would help with this, and I've wanted to add them. Perhaps I'll do so soon...

ZippeeJerred
April 5th, 2024, 23:12
Thanks, yeah I spotted the charged and no dex buttons only after posting. Typical!

I'll play about with those.

That's half the problem, we all have our own quirks after 40 years :)

Doomsword
April 6th, 2024, 05:14
New version 1.81 available

- fixes zombie initiative, as well as any creatures that have an "Always Last" special action, whether you get them from OSRIC or 2E modules. Initiative is set to 2 points higher than the maximum score on the chosen initiative die. Depending upon configuration, you may see chat values much higher than this but they'll be reflected properly in the combat tracker. I may muck around with that at some point but I consider it a minor, cosmetic-only issue

ZippeeJerred
April 6th, 2024, 10:11
Thanks, that looks great. All working as intended.

I'm not seeing any initiative chat values when rolling from the CT which is fine - I get initiative die +80 in the chat if I roll from an NPC sheet which is what I'd expect.

Doomsword
April 6th, 2024, 21:49
Thanks, that looks great. All working as intended.

I'm not seeing any initiative chat values when rolling from the CT which is fine - I get initiative die +80 in the chat if I roll from an NPC sheet which is what I'd expect.

Cool.

Yes, if you roll from the radial menu at the top of the combat tracker, you won't see results because they're generated behind the scenes. If you roll from an individual actor's init button in the CT (after the actor has been selected), you will see values in chat. That +80 was what I was talking about. You'd get a +99 if using a Zombie from 2E. Either one is taken care of in the CT; done behind the scenes rather than trying to fool with the die result in chat.

ZippeeJerred
April 9th, 2024, 11:11
There's also a "Charged" condition in the "Effects" window. You can drag that onto a token and it will apply +2/-1 modifiers. You'll need to go to the Effects tab of the actor in the CT and set a duration of 1 to make sure it expires at the beginning of a new round. I need to work on this and the other conditions to make sure they provide fidelity to the rulesets this supports (2E and OSRIC). I'll do that once I roll out the zombie fix.

Further to this I've been playing around with the "charged" effect (BTW why "charged" - surely charging or just charge, "charged" seems past tense and odd to me.)

Testing the “Charged” Effect
Charging should provide a +2 bonus to attack rolls and remove any DEX bonus to AC (or if none, impose a -1 penalty to AC). (See OSRIC p127)

Note: BTB the AC adjustment should only apply to the attack roll made by the charged target if equipped with a longer weapon, although customarily we've always applied it until the end of the round against any attack. The +2 to attack probably should only apply against the first attack routine made, not any subsequent multiple attack routines, although I'm pretty sure every table I've played at has left them in place until the end of the round. Maybe for this reason the effect has no duration as such - I'd still suggest a duration of 1 round would at least ensure the effect didn't remain in play accidentally.

Anyway

Ogres attacking against opponents with the "charged" effect active:

A) Against Dw RGR3, AC 4 (Splint, DEX 0) – returned AC 1. This is the correct result.
[+4 for ogre v dwarf, -1 for charging = AC 1].

B) Against Dw CLR3, AC 4 (Mail, shield, DEX 0) – returned AC 2. This is incorrect by +1.
[+4 for ogre v dwarf, -1 for charging = AC 1]

C) Against Gn MU3, AC 8 (No armour, DEX -2) – returned AC 7. This is incorrect by +1.
[+4 for ogre v gnome, -2 for loss of DEX = AC 6].

D) Against Hu FTR3, AC 2 (Mail, shield +1, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +3.
[-1 for loss of DEX = AC 3]

E) Against Hu RGR1, AC 3 (Mail, shield, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +2.
[-1 for loss of DEX = AC 4]

F) Against Hu THF2, AC 3 (brigandine, DEX -4) – returned AC 8. This is incorrect by +1.
[-4 for loss of DEX = AC 7].

At first, I thought it was subtracting the DEX and then subtracting the -1 in addition but that doesn't explain D and E. Then I thought it might be that plus some kind of shield error (adding the shield back twice) which would account for D and E but not B. Either my assumptions and understanding is way off, never to be ruled out :) or something weird is going on.

I’ve seen no problems with the +2 to attack rolls.

Additional note on dwarf/gnome trait of imposing -4 on the attack rolls of ogres and such. The effect appears to be improving the target AC by +4 not subtracting it from the attack roll. No modification was made to the ogre's dice rolls on any of these attacks. When using the matrix the effect of a mod to attack and mod to AC are generally similar until you hit the plateau of 20 to hit when it skews somewhat.

Vackipleur
April 9th, 2024, 13:14
If you use the effect "Charged" from the ruleset, according to the Reference (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996641187/Reference+-+Effects), modifiers applied are: +2 to hit, AC reduced by 1, Dexterity and Shield ignored in armor calculations.

For AD&D1, I'm using two custom effects:

Charge (w/oDEX): ATK: +2; AC: -1
or

Charge (wDEX); ATK: +2; Nodex

And players warn me if they have DEX bonus or not

ZippeeJerred
April 9th, 2024, 13:53
Hi,
thanks for that

Only thing is I don't think the "charged" effect is just reducing AC by 1

In my examples
A) changed from AC4 to AC1 (inc dwarf v ogre)
B) changed from AC4 to AC2 (inc dwarf v ogre)
C) changed from AC8 to AC7 (inc gnome v ogre)
D) changed from AC2 to AC6
E) changed from AC3 to AC6
F) changed from AC3 to AC8

I'm not sure what is happening but it ain't (just) AC -1 :confused:

Sorry, pretty new to FGU, so dumb question but do I just enter those string values into the advanced effects part of the character sheet? Custom effects doesn't seem to be giving me any real ability to create anything other than a new line of [effect all 1 RND vision], nothing I can actually write script into. I'm probably missing something obvious!

OK, I entered them in the CT effect line and they worked fine, no errors. So many thanks for that but not as easy as a draggable effect button even if I have them in the hot buttons :)

ZippeeJerred
April 9th, 2024, 15:31
Ran some further test, I'll repeat the whole lot for easy reference

Ogres attacking against charging opponents:

A) Against Agatha: Dw RGR3, AC 4 (Splint, DEX 0) – returned AC 1. This is the correct result.
[+4 for ogre v dwarf, -1 for charging = AC 1].
B) Against Akbar: Dw CLR3, AC 4 (Mail, shield, DEX 0) – returned AC 2. This is incorrect by +1.
C) Against Jeremiah: Hu FTR3, AC 2 (Mail, shield +1, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +3.
D) Against Mellix: Gn MU3, AC 8 (No armour, DEX -2) – returned AC 7. This is incorrect by +1.
E) Against Sebastian: Hu RGR1, AC 3 (Mail, shield, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +2.
F) Against Wilf: Hu THF2, AC 3 (brigandine, DEX -4) – returned AC 8. This is incorrect by +1.
[-4 for loss of DEX = AC 7].

Equipping shield on Agatha and Wilf

G) Against Agatha: Dw RGR3, AC 3 (Splint, shield, DEX 0) – returned AC 2. Incorrect by +2
[AC 3 +4 for ogre v dwarf, -1 for charging = AC 0].
H) Against Akbar: Dw CLR3, AC 4 (Mail, shield, DEX 0) – returned AC 2. This is incorrect by +1.
I) Against Jeremiah: Hu FTR3, AC 2 (Mail, shield +1, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +3.
J) Against Mellix: Gn MU3, AC 8 (No armour, DEX -2) – returned AC 7. This is incorrect by +1.
K) Against Sebastian: Hu RGR1, AC 3 (Mail, shield, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +2.
L) Against Wilf: Hu THF2, AC 2 (brigandine, shield, DEX -4) – returned AC 8. This is incorrect by +2.
[-4 for loss of DEX = AC 6].

Using an orc to eliminate the ogre +4 bonus vs Agatha, Akbar, and Mellix

M) Against Agatha: Dw RGR3, AC 3 (Splint, shield, DEX 0) – returned AC 6. Incorrect by +2
[-1 for charging = AC 4].
N) Against Akbar: Dw CLR3, AC 4 (Mail, shield, DEX 0) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +1.
[-1 for charging = AC 5]
O) Against Jeremiah: Hu FTR3, AC 2 (Mail, shield +1, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +3.
P) Against Mellix: Gn MU3, AC 8 (No armour, DEX -2) – returned AC 11. This is incorrect by +1.
[-2 for loss of DEX = AC 10].
Q) Against Sebastian: Hu RGR1, AC 3 (Mail, shield, DEX -1) – returned AC 6. This is incorrect by +2.
R) Against Wilf: Hu THF2, AC 2 (brigandine, shield, DEX -4) – returned AC 8. This is incorrect by +2.
[-4 for loss of DEX = AC 6].

Note that adding a shield to the armour of Agatha (A, G, M) and Sebastian (E, K, Q) changed their results. Removing the ogre complication made no change to the margin of error.

Given that shields were generating a problem a week back, that Doomsword resolved, I can't help but think that the issue lies with them. It's almost like an extra -1 is being applied across the board with another -1 for having a shield (-2 for the magic shield).

this seems to be supported by the fact that equipping/unequipping a shield after having applied/removed "charged" isn't changing the target AC. If I reload the entire CT, equipping/unequipping changes the AC as normal - adding "charged" stops that from happening, it seems to freeze the shield factor at what it was initially.

Doomsword
April 9th, 2024, 18:16
As always, thanks for the testing and details. I agree with your assessment of how charging should work and how it's normally played. I can certainly remove the "charged" effect after the 1st attack, which would be the correct way to handle it. But people would need to be aware that this is the case and that making any sort of attack roll after adding the "charged" effect would remove it. I guess I could always make it an option, too, where you can remove the effect after the 1st attack or leave the modifiers in play until a new round has begun.

I also agree that the term "charged" is not the best way to express it and I did have it changed to "charging" when I first worked on this. I guess that never made it over when I stopped just modding the ruleset and turned this into an extension.

Regarding the math details and how they're not working out, I'll run through similar scenarios and see what's up. I'm going to start with all of this in the OSRIC ruleset since 2E probably works the way people expect it to, or, at least, people already have workarounds in place or have come to expect whatever it does as the way that things should be handled. Once changes have been made in OSRIC, I will check 2E to see if everything is doing as it should, though.

Gimme a bit and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again.

ZippeeJerred
April 9th, 2024, 19:04
Gimme a bit and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again.

No problem, no great rush. Thanks to Vackipleur I have a work around that suits my version of the game.

I just think if there's a system effect it ought to work, and ought to work BTB :)

Doomsword
April 9th, 2024, 19:07
Yeah, I saw that you have a workaround, which is good, but I agree that this should work BTB and provide less confusion and an easier way to get the needed results (as well as fix any issues).