PDA

View Full Version : Lost my hard drive....

Doswelk
October 22nd, 2007, 14:13
Whilst I was on holiday my PC seems to have decided to die....

I've since discovered that my Fantasy Grounds Folder was lost...

In FG1 you could see characters in local mode but that does not seem to be the case with FGII...

Is there any way we can get the characters back?

Griogre
October 22nd, 2007, 21:26
Depends on which folder was lost. If you lost the one in program files then your characters are still in the app data folder. If you lost the app data characters folder then you lost them. The app data folder is in different places depending on whether you have Vista or an earlier OS.

Doswelk
October 23rd, 2007, 13:40
I think you misunderstand me, my hard drive is a smoking mess and I have not backups of FG (I thought I did but I do not).

All I and my players have left are the .dat files on their PCs.

I know this contains the data needed, but what I need to know is there anyway I can get the characters out of it?

I know this .dat file is the solution for FG1 allowing people to read maps etc so I do not think I can do anything, but I need to try something before I have to tell my 4 players that their 6th Level D20 Modern characters (that is over a year's worth of playing) are "Dead".

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Griogre
October 23rd, 2007, 19:25
Ah. I'm going to gingerly say you are out of luck unless you are good at hacking. The dat files are not meant to be read by humans - in fact they are deliberately made not readable.