PDA

View Full Version : [extension] Surprise Round Extension

bratch9
June 11th, 2022, 16:04
B9's Surprise Round Extension on Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/684/view)
bratch9 profile on Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/89/view-profile)

An extension to roll a surprise round and place 'surprised' effects onto the combat tracker.

Adding to the host combat tracker 2 buttons 'PC' and 'NPC' that rolls stealth and perception checks for 'friendly' or 'foe'. The button is who will be 'surprised'

The 'PC' button is used when NPC's (foe) want to surprise the PC's (friendly) , and the 'NPC' button is used when the PC's (friendly) want to surprise the NPC's (foe)

This is processed by rolling stealth for the required group. Effects are taken into account. For NPC a 'stealth' skill is looked for or 'dex' bonus is used as a fallback. The lowest stealth roll is then checked against 'passive perception'. Due to using effects, this is processed against a 'perception' roll. Once the rolls are made the D20 is replaced with a value of 10 ( or 15/5 for Advantage/Disadvantage ) as required to convert this to a 'passive perception'. NPC are checked for a 'passive perception' senses, and 'perception' skill or a final fallback to 'wis' bonus. Any character with a lower passive perception than the lowest stealth from the group then gets an effect 'Surprised' added to them as they did not notice the stealthy group.

Included is the effect support for 'IMMUNE: surprised', which will reject the addition of the 'Surprised' effect as expected.

On the end of a character turn the 'surprised' effect is automatically removed, as that character can now use reactions.

This is processed on the host side and will result in possibly a lot of dice rolling, so 'manual' rolling is not advised.

Updates:
v1.5 - Fix for npc passive perception below 10.
v1.4 - Split CT selector enable option into 'Friend' and 'Foe' for individual group selector tick on CT entry.
v1.3 - Adjusted 'clear the dead' button locations to not overlap
v1.2 - Added 3 options, 1 for to enable a tick on each CT entry for inclusion in stealth/perceptions rolls, and 2 for interactions with Stealth Tracker extension.
v1.1 - Support for 'Combat Groups by Silent Ruin'
v1.0 - Initial release

bratch9
June 11th, 2022, 16:07
res 1

bratch9
June 11th, 2022, 16:08
res 2

jonesdaadi
June 11th, 2022, 21:41
First off, this is a super cool extension, that will speed things up for stealth situations, Very cool and well done.

However, for me, as a user of the Combat Groups extension by Silent Ruin, this extension is pretty hard to use. The problem is that even things i have hidden in the CT are rolling stealth and perception checks. I know you didnt make the combat groups, but hopefully enough people would like to use both that you would consider making this work with the Combat Groups extension to the extent that only the visible groups would check for stealth and perception instead of the entire combat tracker. In my case the entire combat tracker contains 3 different sets of PCs, plus many encounter for each group of PCs. i hide the two groups of PCs we arent playing, and only show encounters as needed.

I guess add this suggestion to the wishlist. But for me currently i cannot use this extension for the way i run my campaign.

bratch9
June 11th, 2022, 22:58
First off, this is a super cool extension, that will speed things up for stealth situations, Very cool and well done.

However, for me, as a user of the Combat Groups extension by Silent Ruin, this extension is pretty hard to use. The problem is that even things i have hidden in the CT are rolling stealth and perception checks. I know you didnt make the combat groups, but hopefully enough people would like to use both that you would consider making this work with the Combat Groups extension to the extent that only the visible groups would check for stealth and perception instead of the entire combat tracker. In my case the entire combat tracker contains 3 different sets of PCs, plus many encounter for each group of PCs. i hide the two groups of PCs we arent playing, and only show encounters as needed.

I guess add this suggestion to the wishlist. But for me currently i cannot use this extension for the way i run my campaign.

I will add it to my todo list to look into. This is a first pass and obviously best to start with the more standard functions. Complex multiple extension interactions can get fun. But a number of my other extensions have interacted with Silent Ruin extensions...

-pete

bratch9
June 12th, 2022, 00:57

This should be fixed with version 1.1, when it gets released by FG.

jonesdaadi
June 12th, 2022, 11:37
wow, im super stoked you were able to solve this problem so quickly. i wont be able to use it in this weeks game, but i will be testing it heavily as soon as this update is available. Thank you for your quick reply and response.

bratch9
June 12th, 2022, 13:24
wow, im super stoked you were able to solve this problem so quickly. i wont be able to use it in this weeks game, but i will be testing it heavily as soon as this update is available. Thank you for your quick reply and response.

It took longer to figure out the interactions and how to detect when items were actually active on the CT and a good way to find those out, than the actual changes needed.

It will need a proper testing to make sure other parts of the combat group extension do not do other things, depending on options/config/usage etc. As I've not used the extension before, so only looked at the CT group parts that I could see.

If you find any other interaction issues please let me know.

( Hope it will get released from FG dev team today/tomorrow, due to been a new extension it has to go via FG review for build updates etc.. Which is slow over the weekend. )

-pete

jonesdaadi
June 12th, 2022, 20:40
i will be testing and reporting back any issues i experience. I have been relying on the combat groups extension for quite some time, and it make my job much simpler. I'm sure This tool will be the same level of usefulness and actually allow me to check for stealth/ perception instead of just deciding who is surprised. Many thanks for your work, i use several of your extensions and they are enormously helpful (spell tokens, I'm looking at you).

bratch9
June 12th, 2022, 23:44
i will be testing and reporting back any issues i experience. I have been relying on the combat groups extension for quite some time, and it make my job much simpler. I'm sure This tool will be the same level of usefulness and actually allow me to check for stealth/ perception instead of just deciding who is surprised. Many thanks for your work, i use several of your extensions and they are enormously helpful (spell tokens, I'm looking at you).

Update should now be live, let me know if all seems to be working after your much better testing then I will have done... Then I can add link reference and supported text into the forge posting.

-pete

vaughnlannister
June 14th, 2022, 09:03
Hey cool extension :)

Suggestion, I feel like its more logical, if the buttons/labels for:

PC = all PC's make a stealth roll
NPC = all NPC's make a stealth roll

Its possible, that for other people, the way its programmed feels intuitive-logical.

Future perspectives ideas:
-Perhaps add an option to add modifiers/advantage to rolls
-Integration with, Justin Frias stealth tracker (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/165/view)

Thanks for making cool extension for Fantasy Grounds and improving our quality of gaming :)

bratch9
June 14th, 2022, 11:40

Its possible, that for other people, the way its programmed feels intuitive-logical.

-Integration with, Justin Frias stealth tracker (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/165/view)

Thanks for making cool extension for Fantasy Grounds and improving our quality of gaming :)

The buttons are a hard call, people will feel either way. I see it as who gets the surprised effects... I'd love a button graphics, but I have no art skills to do that..

I'm not sure how you would add advantages/modifiers to roll for 'many' players/npc, I avoid the modifier stack in the bottom left. But the effects system is fully run. So if the player has 'ADVSKILL: perception' then they will get that rolled at advantage. It tracks if you have stealth disadvantage from armor etc. Will even deal with addition dice that reflect into the perception/stealth based of the effects on the player/npc. ( So not sure what 'extra' modifiers/advantages you are referencing. As I say the DM runs this, and how would I use the modifier stack in the bottom to cope with loads of npc/players without 'stopping' every roll to pop-up a box with selections. At this point why use the extension as you may as well do it all by hand.. )

I've not looked at other extension interactions, well I added combat groups... so will take a look at this one at some point.

The thing I would love, is visibility data... So if an npc is fully hidden and could never be seen due to a wall by a player then remove the interaction etc.. But since we have zero api to access LoS data and 'cover' amount between players/npcs and is it important. If they players are stomping up a corridor into a room full of NPC behind a door, the visibility is zero anyway... but I'd allow a surprise round if they state they attempt to be stealthy and open the door and rush in etc.. The context is so hard to deal with.

-pete

bratch9
June 14th, 2022, 12:08

Took a quick read down this extension, and I'm not sure what integration would be needed... As it suggests at CT 'start' that the stealth values be cleared as a reset of roll init... This would be the point of time to run a surprise round, and then start to use the stealth tracker as player/npc turns might allow due to surprise or not to decide to do actions like hide which would need a new roll. ( My only thought was to add the effect stealth: value onto the CT when they are rolled... as the only interaction, but I feel the value would be stale by then and need re-rolling anyway.. ie if rouge was not surprised from the group stealth the first action might be to 'hide' and roll a stealth tracker stealth roll etc..)

Do you have thoughts as to interactions between the 2 extensions ? ( Or if used together does it conflict in some way you have found ? )

-pete

JustinFreitas
June 14th, 2022, 13:20
Hi. All that StealthTracker does is track Stealth rolls as effects in the combat tracker and then do some comparisons of those values for reporting purposes in the chat log. I don't think it should interfere with the surprise extension, but if you find something conflicting, please let me know. Thanks!

nephranka
June 14th, 2022, 15:10
I am thinking of getting this ext but I was curious how it plays with the Requested Rolls ext? Does it bypass it all together and auto roll or will it work with it sending a request to the players to roll when you call for the stealth checks? Thanks!

bratch9
June 14th, 2022, 15:34
Hi. All that StealthTracker does is track Stealth rolls as effects in the combat tracker and then do some comparisons of those values for reporting purposes in the chat log. I don't think it should interfere with the surprise extension, but if you find something conflicting, please let me know. Thanks!

I also dont think it interfere. Thanks for the feedback.

I was responding to vaughn as he was asking for interaction support. I've not used your extension and from its description seems that you suggest on init to clear all the stealth rolls anyway.. so the only interaction I could think worth doing was maybe adding the rolled stealth value in your effect format. But I'm not sure if that would represent anything worth tracking as this should be re-rolled when the player action turn starts if they decide to hide etc...

I will do a quick compatibility check later, but my extension adds new buttons and to call the block of rolls required. Depending on how you 'patch' into the players/npc roll for stealth it might auto activate your extension. But I dont know at this time.

-pete

bratch9
June 14th, 2022, 15:43
I am thinking of getting this ext but I was curious how it plays with the Requested Rolls ext? Does it bypass it all together and auto roll or will it work with it sending a request to the players to roll when you call for the stealth checks? Thanks!

I dont think it will, it generates new roll actions with special names as it has to bypass the standard skill roll callbacks. This is due to needing a bunch of stealth rolls to be tracked before the perception rolls can be checked.. So having the system basically stall the host waiting for users to 'decide to press buttons on the roll request' will probably not be suitable.

At the moment it does not request the rolls from the user side.. ie it does not turn up as a manual roll if they have it enabled. I'm not sure if 'save' throws would turn up. I'm also not sure what roll request does with a spell that requests a save roll if it auto rolls it on the host or pings the request into the users.

I'm not sure the roll request would be a 'fun' interaction for the users. I'd probably suggest the steal tracker above and after clearing the stealth values on CT Init start, just roll request the stealth rolls and see if it will add the value to the effects and just manually check the perception side...

I will make a note to have a look at the interactions between it and roll request, but I suspect it would not 'spot' the new roll types.

I was mainly looking to have a quick get it over with 'go' button, as our group basically never use surprise rounds because its too much of a faf to get rolls and cross check them.

Getting the extension working with combat groups makes sense as they add all the npc and it needed to roll for just the active ones for that extension.

-pete

nephranka
June 14th, 2022, 15:58
I dont think it will, it generates new roll actions with special names as it has to bypass the standard skill roll callbacks. This is due to needing a bunch of stealth rolls to be tracked before the perception rolls can be checked.. So having the system basically stall the host waiting for users to 'decide to press buttons on the roll request' will probably not be suitable.

At the moment it does not request the rolls from the user side.. ie it does not turn up as a manual roll if they have it enabled. I'm not sure if 'save' throws would turn up. I'm also not sure what roll request does with a spell that requests a save roll if it auto rolls it on the host or pings the request into the users.

I'm not sure the roll request would be a 'fun' interaction for the users. I'd probably suggest the steal tracker above and after clearing the stealth values on CT Init start, just roll request the stealth rolls and see if it will add the value to the effects and just manually check the perception side...

I will make a note to have a look at the interactions between it and roll request, but I suspect it would not 'spot' the new roll types.

I was mainly looking to have a quick get it over with 'go' button, as our group basically never use surprise rounds because its too much of a faf to get rolls and cross check them.

Getting the extension working with combat groups makes sense as they add all the npc and it needed to roll for just the active ones for that extension.

-pete

I totally get. I don't have an issue with it giving RR the roll since, as you said, it would not be a great experience. I am more worried it would clog up the system and error out but it sounds like it will be off the radar for RR. So, no issues. I will give it an spin.

bratch9
June 14th, 2022, 19:00
A quick test with 'stealth tracker' extension, seems to have no interaction issues. Its stealth effect is been added/removed and chat seems to show the correct information.

A quick test with 'Request Roll' extension, seems to have no interaction issues. The requested rolls show up for the player as expected, and non of the surprise round extension rolls end up within the requested roll pop-ups.

-pete

JustinFreitas
June 14th, 2022, 19:02
A quick test with 'stealth tracker' extension, seems to have no interaction issues. Its stealth effect is been added/removed and chat seems to show the correct information.

Sweet, thanks.

nephranka
June 15th, 2022, 00:49

A quick test with 'Request Roll' extension, seems to have no interaction issues. The requested rolls show up for the player as expected, and non of the surprise round extension rolls end up within the requested roll pop-ups.

-pete

Good to hear.

I see the combat timer and your buttons have a placement overlap issue.
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/162/view

Ludd_G
June 15th, 2022, 09:29
Hi,

re: integration with Stealth Tracker, the way my table adjudicates the triggering of Surprise often occurs as the Rogue is "stealthing" well ahead of the party, with just them having a Stealth entry on the CT. We generally use any pre-existing stealth roll for when enemies approach, and use the NPC's passive perception versus this, to check for surprise. So would it be possible for the Surprise Round Extension to check, and if there, use the, in this example, Rogues Stealth score rather than re-roll it?

So, would it be possible to add 2 options, one to check and use any existing Stealth entry rather than re-roll and, secondly, to choose who will be making the rolls, so specific PC/NPCs (maybe this is something that could be integrated into the Request Rolls extension interface, or something similar?), as often group rolls for stealth aren't appropriate, especially with Rogue/scout type characters setting up ambushes deliberately well ahead of the party. Plus, on large maps, there may be a lot of NPCs who are of no relevance to the surprise roll and can make the chat displayed results hard to sift through to find which are relevant to this specific surprise attack.

Really liking the possibilities of the extension, and thanks for all your work on this and your other extensions.

Cheers,

Simon

bratch9
June 15th, 2022, 11:18
Hi,

re: integration with Stealth Tracker, the way my table adjudicates the triggering of Surprise often occurs as the Rogue is "stealthing" well ahead of the party, with just them having a Stealth entry on the CT. We generally use any pre-existing stealth roll for when enemies approach, and use the NPC's passive perception versus this, to check for surprise. So would it be possible for the Surprise Round Extension to check, and if there, use the, in this example, Rogues Stealth score rather than re-roll it?

So, would it be possible to add 2 options, one to check and use any existing Stealth entry rather than re-roll and, secondly, to choose who will be making the rolls, so specific PC/NPCs (maybe this is something that could be integrated into the Request Rolls extension interface, or something similar?), as often group rolls for stealth aren't appropriate, especially with Rogue/scout type characters setting up ambushes deliberately well ahead of the party. Plus, on large maps, there may be a lot of NPCs who are of no relevance to the surprise roll and can make the chat displayed results hard to sift through to find which are relevant to this specific surprise attack.

Really liking the possibilities of the extension, and thanks for all your work on this and your other extensions.

Cheers,

Simon

Added your comment into my todo file for the extension. When I get some time I'll look at option for 'if stealth tracker' is enabled use the effect stealth only, I've added a thought on a tick box in each CT entry to enable/disable involvement. I'm not a fan of adding to request roll, as that implies the players roll at that side and thats a different code complexity to manage... But I'll think about the last one as it might grow on me at some point. ( But I've not looked at the request roll source so not sure if its even an option to integrate into it.. )

-pete

nephranka
June 16th, 2022, 17:51
Hi,

Cheers,

Simon

I can second this. My table does this as well and we use the stealth tracker ext. I would be fine allowing this ext to handle the rolls even though we use RR, not everything can be sent to the players.

bratch9
June 16th, 2022, 18:00
v1.2 - adds an option to apply a CT entry tick box to control if stealth/perception rolls are used for that entry or not.
Adds a couple options for the stealth tracker extension, one to use the current effect stealth value or roll for stealth, and the other to decide if to update the effect stealth value after the roll.

also changed to a icons for the pc/npc surprise buttons, to clear up the space for the combat timer extension clock area.

-pete

nephranka
June 16th, 2022, 20:18
v1.2 - adds an option to apply a CT entry tick box to control if stealth/perception rolls are used for that entry or not.
Adds a couple options for the stealth tracker extension, one to use the current effect stealth value or roll for stealth, and the other to decide if to update the effect stealth value after the roll.

also changed to a icons for the pc/npc surprise buttons, to clear up the space for the combat timer extension clock area.

-pete

That all sounds good. The CT interface still has alignment issue for me. On button now is behind the clear the dead ext button and I think something is moving the Arcane ward box.

Also, picking up an chat message now: "Surprise must have at least 1 friend and 1 foe to check against." but I have 2 PCs and 2 NPC in the CT.

bratch9
June 16th, 2022, 21:54
That all sounds good. The CT interface still has alignment issue for me. On button now is behind the clear the dead ext button and I think something is moving the Arcane ward box.

Also, picking up an chat message now: "Surprise must have at least 1 friend and 1 foe to check against." but I have 2 PCs and 2 NPC in the CT.

i've added those two extensions to take a look... not used either... but with so much 'around' the CT its going to be hard to find a nice place to fit everything.

The system needs to have at least one friend and one foe... Do you have a clearer image when this happens... hard to tell from that shot. It looks like it should be ok but hard to tell due to the overlaps.. I guess that overlap is the arcane ward box been over the friend/foe/neutral/faction selection..

Let me take a look, and see how these extensions 'pin' things in the CT.

-pete

nephranka
June 16th, 2022, 22:11
i've added those two extensions to take a look... not used either... but with so much 'around' the CT its going to be hard to find a nice place to fit everything.

The system needs to have at least one friend and one foe... Do you have a clearer image when this happens... hard to tell from that shot. It looks like it should be ok but hard to tell due to the overlaps.. I guess that overlap is the arcane ward box been over the friend/foe/neutral/faction selection..

Let me take a look, and see how these extensions 'pin' things in the CT.

-pete

Sure thing. Here is a shot of 2 pcs and 2 npcs...maybe I did something wrong?

Also, If you move the PC button to the left of the npc button it should be fine. I noticed that your button moves with the resize on that side. I assume the check button pushed the arcane ward box over but maybe not.

EDIT: Reset the CT and the stealth tracking it working but I get the error with a client attached.

bratch9
June 16th, 2022, 22:38
Sure thing. Here is a shot of 2 pcs and 2 npcs...maybe I did something wrong?

Also, If you move the PC button to the left of the npc button it should be fine. I noticed that your button moves with the resize on that side. I assume the check button pushed the arcane ward box over but maybe not.

EDIT: Reset the CT and the stealth tracking it working but I get the error with a client attached.

So the 2 pc and 2 npc you have are not selected, with then enable CT selector... thats the 'empty' tick button to the left bottom of the token... the other side of the 'visible' eye... since you have nothing ticked you have nothing selected to 'surprise'... you need to 'tick' to enable 'drake' and say 'gold' to have at least one pc and one npc to roll the stealth/perception against... Or you can leave off the selector if you are happy for all on the CT to partake in the stealth/perception check for surprise.

I can not replicate the AW box issue, some bigger interaction ?

I can move the close dead,

bratch9
June 16th, 2022, 22:46
v1.3 released and moves the clear the dead buttons to the right.

-pete

Ludd_G
June 16th, 2022, 23:27
Wow! These are great sounding additions. I'll have a poke around tomorrow. Thanks for all your work!

Cheers,

Simon

nephranka
June 16th, 2022, 23:51
So the 2 pc and 2 npc you have are not selected, with then enable CT selector... thats the 'empty' tick button to the left bottom of the token... the other side of the 'visible' eye... since you have nothing ticked you have nothing selected to 'surprise'... you need to 'tick' to enable 'drake' and say 'gold' to have at least one pc and one npc to roll the stealth/perception against... Or you can leave off the selector if you are happy for all on the CT to partake in the stealth/perception check for surprise.

I can not replicate the AW box issue, some bigger interaction ?

I can move the close dead,

I see. User error for sure on the error. Thanks!
The clear the dead is resolved. Thanks.
I found the issue with AW. It is 4 different ext causing it: Legendary Assistant, Constitutional Amendments, AW and yours. Take out any one of them and it works fine. Not sure how that can be fixed....

nephranka
June 17th, 2022, 01:05
Further testing puts this ext out of the list. It is the other 3 that are causing the issue, it would appear. With a slight change in legendary Asst load order we are good. Sorry for the false alarm.

bratch9
June 17th, 2022, 11:48
Further testing puts this ext out of the list. It is the other 3 that are causing the issue, it would appear. With a slight change in legendary Asst load order we are good. Sorry for the false alarm.

all fine with me, I just like to see these things getting resolved. ( My side or at the other extension side.. )

If you are using combat groups then you probably dont need the CT tick boxes as you will have probably the correct group on the CT... the tick boxes are more for if you have 2 rooms of npc and you want the players to surprise only one room..

I'm thinking I'll split that toggle into 2, one for friend and one for foe.. so if the correct NPC are on the CT but only want limited players to interact ( say just am advanced rouge ) then less ticks to have to adjust etc..

-pete

Ludd_G
June 17th, 2022, 12:52
I'm thinking I'll split that toggle into 2, one for friend and one for foe.. so if the correct NPC are on the CT but only want limited players to interact ( say just am advanced rouge ) then less ticks to have to adjust etc..

It's like you're reading my mind and adding stuff I'd like to see before I've had time to grab the keyboard! Hahaha! :D

Great stuff, thank you!

Cheers,

Simon

bratch9
June 18th, 2022, 15:35
It's like you're reading my mind and adding stuff I'd like to see before I've had time to grab the keyboard! Hahaha! :D

Great stuff, thank you!

Cheers,

Simon

v1.4 released now has split options for friend and foe CT tick enables.

Ludd_G
June 29th, 2022, 23:14
Hi,

I'm finding that the passive perception roll for NPCs will never go below 10. Tested with a zombie (Wis 6 [-2], PP 8) and an Abyssal Wretch (Wis 8[-1] PP 9), both ended up with PP 10 instead. PCs seem to show the correct PP, taking into account the correct Wisdom modifier. Am I doing something wrong?

Love the extension, especially when used in conjunction with the amazing StealthTracker and Assassinate extensions. What a combination!

Cheers,

Simon

bratch9
June 30th, 2022, 14:14
Hi,

I'm finding that the passive perception roll for NPCs will never go below 10. Tested with a zombie (Wis 6 [-2], PP 8) and an Abyssal Wretch (Wis 8[-1] PP 9), both ended up with PP 10 instead. PCs seem to show the correct PP, taking into account the correct Wisdom modifier. Am I doing something wrong?

Love the extension, especially when used in conjunction with the amazing StealthTracker and Assassinate extensions. What a combination!

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks for reporting this, I've replicated the issue and will take a look in the code.

-pete

bratch9
June 30th, 2022, 14:48
Hi,

Cheers,

Simon

v1.5 - Fix for npc passive perception below 10.

released should fix this issue.

-pete

Ludd_G
July 1st, 2022, 16:09
That does seem to fix the issue, thank you.

Plus with StealthTracker and the new 1.1 version of Assassinate this is a killer combo that fully automates the Assassinate feature, which I must admit I didn't think possible!

Thanks for all your work! Great stuff!!!

Cheers,

Simon

nephranka
July 20th, 2022, 01:38
Jumped the gun...still working on the conflicts.

Edit: False alarm. All seems to be working.

bratch9
July 20th, 2022, 09:18
Jumped the gun...still working on the conflicts.

Edit: False alarm. All seems to be working.

Not an issue.. ( Manager_action_attack_bsa ) is from automatic sneak attack... was getting a bunch of errors and warnings from a number of extensions from last weeks update.. extensions are still catching up from that, and now we have a new big-ish update to check/deal with.

-pete

nephranka
July 20th, 2022, 10:49
Not an issue.. ( Manager_action_attack_bsa ) is from automatic sneak attack... was getting a bunch of errors and warnings from a number of extensions from last weeks update.. extensions are still catching up from that, and now we have a new big-ish update to check/deal with.

-pete

Yeah...like a stealth bomb of an update.

hazeyindahead
April 15th, 2023, 00:39
Hello, is this up to date with todays FGU or should it be delisted? I dont want to buy something non-functional but this extension sounds really awesome

bratch9
April 15th, 2023, 12:39
Hello, is this up to date with todays FGU or should it be delisted? I dont want to buy something non-functional but this extension sounds really awesome

This is updated to current FGU, it is designed to apply the 'surprised' effect onto which ever side was selected by the dm. It tries to apply the required effects but not every condition can be taken into account.. It only does one roll per side, so things like grand disadvantage perception does not accumulate, as this would required an 'n' by 'm' multi-dimension roll cross check.

But it should be working fine, is upto date and should be working in conjunction with automatic sneak attack which auto skips player/npc with the 'surprised' effect etc..

-pete

hazeyindahead
April 15th, 2023, 16:51
Thanks so much! I will try it out.

bratch9
April 15th, 2023, 17:30
Thanks so much! I will try it out.

Dont forget if its not doing what you expect, please add suggestions for consideration. ( And if its totally not what you want you can always request a refund from forge support. )

-pete

hazeyindahead
April 21st, 2023, 05:47
This is updated to current FGU, it is designed to apply the 'surprised' effect onto which ever side was selected by the dm. It tries to apply the required effects but not every condition can be taken into account.. It only does one roll per side, so things like grand disadvantage perception does not accumulate, as this would required an 'n' by 'm' multi-dimension roll cross check.

But it should be working fine, is upto date and should be working in conjunction with automatic sneak attack which auto skips player/npc with the 'surprised' effect etc..

-pete

Hi forgive me if I am wrong but are you saying the extension doesnt account for times when perception is marked to be rolled at disadvantage?

Also what are the options for in settings I cant seem to find an explanation for them.

Thanks for this EXT btw!!

bratch9
April 21st, 2023, 15:08
Hi forgive me if I am wrong but are you saying the extension doesnt account for times when perception is marked to be rolled at disadvantage?

Also what are the options for in settings I cant seem to find an explanation for them.

Thanks for this EXT btw!!

Disadvantage/Advantage yes and no... If the npc has a disadvantage effect then when that npc rolls it will take the disadvantage ( or advantage ). What it can not tell is the likes of 'cloak of protection' when a player has 'grant-disadvantage perception', because the effect system can only process that when that player causes a roll on a targeted npc. Because the surprise round is rolling for individual and no targeting is involved any 'cross connected' effects items can not be process.

Its the difference between rolling once for each player/npc, or doing a roll per player against every npc. ie 3 player 3 npc.... the system rolls 6 times, once per player and once per npc... while to process the likes of a player/npc causing 'grant disadvantage' to another would require 9 rolls, 3 sets of 3 rolls per player etc... If you see the difference, because 'effects' could also be used up if marked with on-next-roll it can also cause these to be used on players/npc.

While the system is not 'perfect' in every situation, because it should also take into account line of sight and the more complex effect situation, it will cope with a lot of the normal situations.

Settings...
Enable 'foe/friend' selector on CT .... this add a 'tick circle' onto the CT under each name... and can be used to mark which player/npc should be used in the roll.. ( ie maybe your rouge is already considered hidden and you dont want to include the player in the roll for surprise etc... )

'Stealth Tracker EXT' options are for when you have this extension enabled.... With 'update effect', it will adjust any 'stealth' value the extension is using with the new stealth value this extension rolled or not, and if the player/npc already has a stealth effect it will either re-roll or use its value. eg, say your rouge already roll a stealth value pre-init using 'stealth tracker extension' and then you want to have this extension process the surprise, you can have it configured to use things from the other extension and leave them or cause updates into the 'stealth tracker extension'.

I dont use the stealth tracker extension in my games, but these were requested to be added so I added options to allow better interoperability and configuration.

-pete

nephranka
September 1st, 2023, 20:29
With the new update to the UI and themes these buttons look a little offset and high. Is there a way to fix that...totally cosmetic.

JustinFreitas
September 2nd, 2023, 12:42
'Stealth Tracker EXT' options are for when you have this extension enabled.... With 'update effect', it will adjust any 'stealth' value the extension is using with the new stealth value this extension rolled or not, and if the player/npc already has a stealth effect it will either re-roll or use its value. eg, say your rouge already roll a stealth value pre-init using 'stealth tracker extension' and then you want to have this extension process the surprise, you can have it configured to use things from the other extension and leave them or cause updates into the 'stealth tracker extension'.

I dont use the stealth tracker extension in my games, but these were requested to be added so I added options to allow better interoperability and configuration.

-pete

Hey, thanks a bunch for considering StealthTracker in your implementation! If you ever need anything or whatever, let me know... happy to help. Just saw this and wanted to shoot a quick thanks. :)

bratch9
September 7th, 2023, 11:42
With the new update to the UI and themes these buttons look a little offset and high. Is there a way to fix that...totally cosmetic.

v1.7 has been released to tidy this issue. ( Also adjusted the 'clear dead' extension buttons for when both extensions are enabled. )

-pete

bratch9
September 7th, 2023, 11:43
Hey, thanks a bunch for considering StealthTracker in your implementation! If you ever need anything or whatever, let me know... happy to help. Just saw this and wanted to shoot a quick thanks. :)

Not an issue it had support for a while, but please let me know if any of your users spot a compatibility/usability issues between our extensions.

-pete

bratch9
March 16th, 2024, 11:08
v1.8 has been released to tidy up warnings caused by FGU 4.5.0 release.