PDA

View Full Version : Error when closing campaign (too many pins)

Xorn
October 21st, 2007, 22:42
I've found a reproduceable bug, that is basically harmless, just annoying.

While revamping my Sunless Citadel adventure campaign (for /exporting to a module) with pins I noticed that when I would close down FG2, I would get an error message. In a panic (as I'd been entering data in for about an hour) I reopened the campaign, and everything was fine, all saved and everything. After two hours of trying different stuff, I renamed the campaign Sunless Citadel (Old) by changing the folder name, and made a brand new, empty campaign.

I started copying in each section of the old db.xml into the new one. First I added the <encounter> section, no problems. Then I added the <item> and <npc>, neither of them had any problems. I just copied over the "image" and "token" directory and everything was still working. The only thing I hadn't done was put the pins back in.

I copied the <image> section of the old db.xml in, and started getting the error on closing again. I went in and took out all the <shortcuts> sections (the pins) and it closed fine. I started putting some pins back, and it kept closing fine. Eventually I just put them all back (actually replacing the pins in FG2, not messing with .xml) and tried closing:

I got the same error:

It doesn't hurt anything. When I /export the module, I can use it just fine in my main campaign, it closes and everything (and retains all the pins, etc). It just complains about how many pins I have in there, I guess.

Sgain
October 21st, 2007, 22:48
I get that message everytime I close FG2, no matter what I've been working on. Seems to be a problem with the images folder or something, but since its not big deal I just ignore it.

Xorn
October 21st, 2007, 23:01
I get that message everytime I close FG2, no matter what I've been working on. Seems to be a problem with the images folder or something, but since its not big deal I just ignore it.

I tried adding 5 pins at a time and saving it. Between 10-15 pins on a single map, and it starts giving that closing error. I can have 5 pins each on 5 maps without a problem, but when I added pins 11 through 15 on, I got the error again. Like you said, it really doesn't hurt anything, but it's a bug none-the-less.

Griogre
October 22nd, 2007, 02:10
There is a bug with pins and it sounds like you have it. You can't have more than one pin point to the same entry on the same map. In homebrew stuff most GMs don't use the same numbers but many commercial modules do. The pin ids need to be unique and pins linking to the same entry share the same ID. This will cause your problem. IE many modules will have a room numer like 5 which all the empty rooms use.

Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I forgot about that one.

Edit: It's your room 13's. What I do in that case is have a 13a, 13b, ect.

Xorn
October 22nd, 2007, 18:01
There is a bug with pins and it sounds like you have it. You can't have more than one pin point to the same entry on the same map. In homebrew stuff most GMs don't use the same numbers but many commercial modules do. The pin ids need to be unique and pins linking to the same entry share the same ID. This will cause your problem. IE many modules will have a room numer like 5 which all the empty rooms use.

Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I forgot about that one.

Edit: It's your room 13's. What I do in that case is have a 13a, 13b, ect.

Ah! Makes perfect sense! Yeah, there's several 13's (empty room), 16's (kobold barracks), and two 25's (recently traveled, but empty room). I'll figure out something... either 13a, 13b, etc or maybe 13.1, 13.2, 13.3 since some of the adventure books I'm entering in as modules already add a/b/c etc.

Thanks very much though for the explanation. No more crash on close now.

Griogre
October 22nd, 2007, 21:13
Glad to help. Be careful with decimal points they don't sometimes parse well as tags. You might try 13_1, 13_2 if you don't want to use a, b, c because the modules does already.

DNH
October 23rd, 2007, 09:12
i am experiencing the same problem despite not re-using pins for the same room (eg empty rooms), but i think i know why. the map i am using is made up of several smaller maps and i have added pins to join them up. that is, where one corridor leads from map 1 to map 2, i add a pin to open up map 2; i then do the reverse at the appropriate point on map 2. the problem lies in having several points on a given map where the maps connect, so i am in effect re-using the same pins, having two or more "map 2" pins. do i have this right?

thanks.

Sorontar
October 23rd, 2007, 10:23
If I had several "Map 2" pins I would personally change the name to "1to2" to note where you are going from and to. They should all be different then unless you have several entry points but then use a,b,c to differentiate in addition.

Edit: Ack

Note to self, do not post before morning coffee OR before opening FG2 to check something out ;)

This would be a royal PITA you would have multiple copies of the same map image all named differently for your pins (don't think you can rename them as the name is derived from the image hence the need for multiple images).

Of course the coffee isn't fully in my system and I could be missing something(likely I am)

Edit2: Would it be possible to create story items for your transitions in a seperate section and each item would follow the naming policy "Transition 1 to 2" for instance and then put Map 2 linked in there. So your map pin would open up the story entry and you could then open the map?

I'll give it a whirl.

Edit3:Still a PITA but not using multiple image files for one area

DNH
October 23rd, 2007, 10:45
forgive my ignorance, and i am just being lazy in not trying to find this out for myself, but what's the easiest way of renaming map pin labels? mine generally have the name of the room or map of whatever they link to.

thanks.

Astinus
October 23rd, 2007, 14:39
The easiest way to re-name map pins - I think - is to click on the pin to bring up the relevant story or personality entry, and then edit the title to that entry. You might have to right click the entry to enter "edit mode".

If there's an easier way of doing this, I'd like to hear about it too.

Griogre
October 23rd, 2007, 21:20
Pins just take the names of the link so, yes, you need to rename the entry the pin links to.