PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night European SW Game

Waldo Pepper
October 19th, 2007, 19:04
I'm expanding the Friday night Savage Worlds game I run from every other Friday to most (as in nearly every) Friday. The game runs from 8pm - 11pm (GMT+1) so it's really set up from people living in Europe although anyone who can show up consistently is welcome. At the moment, my Pinebox, TX game is full but the alternating Fridays still have room. We'll be settling on a genre and setting hopefully tonight (Oct. 19th) and will officially start play on November 4th.

If anyone reading this is interested, drop by tonight (server is up now) or drop me a PM and we can discuss joining the game.

Host alias tonight is: just monk dead zone

Waldo Pepper
October 19th, 2007, 21:46
If you're interested in playing, you can vote on the setting/theme of the new campaign over on the FUM forums here (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/showthread.php?t=1525).

Valarian
October 19th, 2007, 22:13
I'd be interested, but I think the time is a little early for me (by about an hour). I assume the it's the time zone that's GMT+1 - so for the UK the time would be 7pm to 10pm. I'd be interested in the Modern setting.

Waldo Pepper
October 20th, 2007, 07:45
If enough people are in the GMT zone, I could/would move the game back to 9-12 which would be 8-11 for you: I can't start any later than 9:00pm my time because I have a 5-year-old who likes to get up at 6:30 every Saturday and who then proceeds to get me up... :square:

So, if you're reading this, located in the UK, and would prefer 9-12 GMT+1 let me know and I'll take it in to consideration.

Valarian
October 21st, 2007, 16:28
The 9-12 GMT+1 (8-11 GMT+0) slot would be ideal for me, thanks. I likewise have two young kids who like early mornings. It lets me get the kids off to bed and have an evening of gaming.

Waldo Pepper
October 22nd, 2007, 21:17
I got back from Spiel'07 yesterday with a bag full of goodies and (IMHO) a really good hook for the campaign. The name of the campaign will be Dark Matters and the PCs will be members of a much look down upon division of the FBI that investigates all sorts of paranormal and supernatural cases. If this sounds like the X-Files, it should because that's the show it's patterned on but it should be quite different in actual play. PCs will have all been "demoted" to their positions through perceived incompetence, unfortunate circumstances, or just plain bad luck and will up a team of investigators. They'll be dealing with missing person cases, serial killers, and just plain weird stuff...

The game will run every other Friday, starting November 2nd, from 9pm until 12am GMT+1

I have room for ~2-3 more players if anyone is interested. If you would like to sign up please do so on the FUM forum here (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/showthread.php?t=1538)

Waldo Pepper
October 23rd, 2007, 17:20
It looks like I have 3 signed up so far so I have room for just one more if anyone is interested.

Waldo Pepper
November 10th, 2007, 08:33
I currently have room for 1-2 more players in both Friday night games.

Pinebox, TX involves revolves around a bunch of teens growing up in a small east Texas town and their adventures with the supernatural. Think of it as Stephen King meets H.P> Lovecraft meets Supernatural (the show).
It runs every other Friday, 8pm-11pm (GMT+1): The next game is on Nov. 23rd.

Dark Matters is a contemporary campaign in which the PCs are members of a secret section of the FBI tasked with investigating crimes that are beyond explanation. It's a lot like the X-Files. It runs on alternating Fridays from 9pm-12am (GMT+1); the next game is on Nov. 16th.

If you're interested in playing in either (or both) games, drop me a PM. The campaigns are episodic in nature so long-term commitments are not necessary but ideally you should be able to show up for a few sessions in a row in order.

Waldo Pepper
December 7th, 2007, 18:59
Here's another bump since I still have room for at least one more player in each group. We run every Friday night, alternating between the two games. New players can play in either or both of the games that are running - although both are contemporary horror they are quite different in subject matter and style.

Pinebox, TX involves revolves around a bunch of teens growing up in a small east Texas town and their adventures with the supernatural. Think of it as Stephen King meets H.P> Lovecraft meets Supernatural (the show).
It runs every other Friday, 8pm-11pm (GMT+1): The next game is on Dec. 21st.

Dark Matters is a contemporary campaign in which the PCs are members of a secret section of the FBI tasked with investigating crimes that are beyond explanation. It's a lot like the X-Files. It runs on alternating Fridays from 9pm-12am (GMT+1); the next game is on Dec. 14th.

Mellock
December 7th, 2007, 19:28
This sounds like a lot of fun. But can I get by with the test drive rules if the explorer's edition takes a few weeks to arrive, or is that just too much of a hold-up? (I take it they are limited to the extent that they "work best" when everyone is using just them)

Valarian
December 7th, 2007, 20:12
I'd say you could get by with the test drive rules. You don't really need to know Savage Worlds to play, Waldo is great at explaining how to do things. All of us in the Dark Matters game are new to playing SW.

Hayt
December 7th, 2007, 23:03
.... and I could use some help in the current scenario. I'm just about to have my throat ripped out by some sicko demon!

Valarian
December 7th, 2007, 23:13
You've got me and my expert marksmanship to keep you safe. What are you worried about?

Mellock
December 7th, 2007, 23:50
What are you worried about?

You are *so* jinxing it! :D

Waldo Pepper
December 9th, 2007, 10:06
As the others have said, no rule book is necessary, though it's helpful, especially to remind me how things are supposed to work ;). Both games have room in them at the moment. They also have different tones and styles despite both being firmly in the contemporary supernatural/horror genre. So far I think everyone has had a great time: Pinebox's tone is dark but still has an inkling of plausibility & reality about it: Playing teenagers is surprisingly fun since it's something that all of us have experience with. Dark Matters OTOH is much more sinister and involves more physical combat.

scytale2
December 9th, 2007, 12:40
As the others have said, no rule book is necessary, though it's helpful, especially to remind me how things are supposed to work ;). Both games have room in them at the moment. They also have different tones and styles despite both being firmly in the contemporary supernatural/horror genre. So far I think everyone has had a great time: Pinebox's tone is dark but still has an inkling of plausibility & reality about it: Playing teenagers is surprisingly fun since it's something that all of us have experience with. Dark Matters OTOH is much more sinister and involves more physical combat.

Apologies I didn't make this week - last minute appointment:( Hopefully Fritz will be able to show up for the next installment on 21st?

Mellock
December 9th, 2007, 12:47
I have played around with it, and filled in a basic character sheet for a rundown fbi-agent(as that was the first game on the calendar). I'm not sure on the equipment as there are no prices in the quickstart rules or anything... (Oh, and am I right in assuming that a minor hindrance gives you one point, and a major hindrance gives you 2 points?)

If I should log on a bit earlier to compensate for a ruleset download or anything, or upload a character in advance, or read up on some background, just let me know :)

I'll be ordering the Explorer's Edition on Monday.

Waldo Pepper
December 9th, 2007, 19:12
@Scytale - it was not problem. Another of the players had a last minute conflict and so we pulled the plug on Friday's game early.

@Mellock - the easiest thing to do is to head over to my Four Ugly Monsters forum I've set up for the game. Friday Night Game Forum (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=124)

There are sub-forums for each game (ignore Necropolis since it's not up and running). Details on how to make a character are there. However, the easiest thing to do is just to post an idea/concept (don't worry about stats or anything) for your character and I'll help you put together something that matches your needs/desires.

Waldo Pepper
December 10th, 2007, 17:05
Just a quick FYI: I had to cancel this Friday's game. I posted the full explanation up on the FUM forum here (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/showthread.php?t=1590), but figured I'd warn everyone here as well just in case. We should be back on track for the following fortnight (Dec. 28th) and for those interested in joining Pinebox, TX as well we're on schedule for Dec. 21st for it.

Sorry about the cancellation but it's my attempt to minimize future disruptions stemming from my family's new arrival. ;)