PDA

View Full Version : [LFP][4E][PST]Budding Episodic 4E Campaign, Heavy House Rules

Mentalic
June 6th, 2022, 04:18
Virtual Tabletop: Fantasy Grounds Unity (Ultimate License; you can join with the free version)
Game System: D&D 4E (Heavily House-Ruled)

Time Zone: PST
Day of week and time: Evening sessions; start time at 8 pm PST
Planned start date: June 24th, 2022
Planned Duration & Frequency: ~3.5 Hour sessions, every other Friday
Term: Short/Moderate

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: Group dependent
Number of Players in game & needed: Have r players, Would like 1 more player
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level with 100 gold pieces worth of equipment.
Character restrictions: See the House Rules document linked here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xbjp5Nw1Weo4pAe2NO_Cly1yLyb0AGWfZ1lp2MkRFyY/edit)

Details of your scenario:

Hey everyone!

I will be running a low level sandbox (using converted classic adventures) using the 4th Edition D&D system in its “Points of Light” setting.

The 4E rules are significantly modified in this game. Ancestries are altered, feats are de-emphasized, weapons stats are tinkered with, and so on. For details, see the House Rules linked here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xbjp5Nw1Weo4pAe2NO_Cly1yLyb0AGWfZ1lp2MkRFyY/edit).

We will play every other week for ~3.5 hours starting at 8:00 PM PST. Fridays. If I can get the group together quickly enough, we will start on June 24th. If not, the start date may get pushed.

Regarding myself, I have been into tabletop roleplaying for about a decade now and have run the game both on assorted virtual table tops and in person. I have come to form a short list of expectations for folks gaming at my table; they are listed below.

Respect others and give them time to shine.
Avoid rules lawyering.
Avoid excessive power gaming.
Know how your character works and be ready to act when it's your turn.
Try to be on time and let us know when you won’t be.
Let folks know at least 24 hours before a session if you cannot make it.

If interested, please send me a message so we can meet on Discord. I will then let you know within a week if I feel you would be a good fit.

Edit: A player on Discord asked about the house rules. This is what I told them: "In my games, all players focus on fun, all ancestries work with all classes, all combos are good, no amount of 'Character Optimization' matters more than what happens at the table." Basically, if you want a fun game where you don't have to worry about CharOp and you can just focus on the action at the table, this game will be right up your alley.

If you are interested, go ahead and reach out to me.

UPDATE: Have 4 players. Would like 1more

Llyle
June 6th, 2022, 15:01
Finally a 4e game on FG!

The time would be tough on me, I'll have to check if I can free myself for it, otherwise I'd always be exactly half an hour late.

Anyway, some questions came up while reading the house rule document:

1) Usually in a surprise round, characters that are not surprised have one action, now the surprised condition is replaced by dazed, meaning everyone has one action? Or is there just no surprise round and instead the characters that would be surprised are dazed in the first round?

2) Instead of Action points, a Standard Action At-Will Power may be used as a Free Action once per encounter, just to clarify, that is only on your own turn, not "when ever you want" (as free actions usually are if they have no trigger)?

3) Some Ancestral Powers are new or modified, but it say nowhere what they do now. What do they do?

4) Some feats are modified or unique, but it says nowhere what they do now. What do they do?

Mentalic
June 6th, 2022, 15:34
Hey there, good morning and thanks for expressing interest.

1. If surprised, your dazed. Other folks aren't. Generally not a fan of surprised rounds and prefer combatants be able to do something, even if surprised.
2. Correct, on your turn only.
3. Too long to answer. If we talk, and your accepted in the game, let me know what ancestry you like and I'll clarify.
4. Again, if accepted clarifications can be made. All are inputted into FG - making it easy to look through once in.

Edit: To keep things a bit simpler, I just nixed the Surprised and Action point house rules.

Mentalic
June 7th, 2022, 11:04
Still looking for players.

Llyle
June 7th, 2022, 14:02
Still looking for players.

Be patient. Some players even only look for games during weekends and 4e is not a very large community in comparison to other systems. If you haven't found any players after a week, you might want to try a couple of different approaches. For new players it won't matter much, but for the existing player base your house rules look very restrictive. Most of the people who still play 4e have accumulated a level of system mastery over the years, that probably makes exclusion of material feel like a burden to build your character around, not like a relief not to have to look at so much material.

Anyway, I took the liberty to link this post in the D&D4e discord server, where a lot of people are always looking for a game. Your time is okay, which is usually the most hindering factor, but many have spoken out against the house rule set. I mean, it's your game and you set the rules, but if you have trouble finding people you might consider cutting back on the house rules.

If you want to join that discord and have a look around here's an invite:
https://discord.gg/Y2q8zvYydM

Anyway, I tried to free myself for the time of this game, but couldn't, meaning if I played, I'd be always exactly half an hour late to the game.
That said, if you'd still have me, I can try to build around the rules you put down (what ever you decide), and make a fun character. :)

Mentalic
June 7th, 2022, 14:18
Thanks for the advice. I will open it up to other nights and set start time at 7 to 8 pm.

Not looking to change my house rules though. A game where players can choose from 3000 feats, material out of Dragon, themes, etc just does not appeal to me. That amount of options leads to charop that I have disliked since 3.5.

My favorite time running the 4e system was actually playing the 4e version of Gamma World. I enjoyed it specifically because it was straight forward and didn't have all that stuff.

Mentalic
June 7th, 2022, 20:12
Update. A player joined that has already played Slaying Stone. So, I will be running a low level sandbox of some converted classic modules instead.

Mentalic
June 9th, 2022, 07:06
Only a couple spots left

Mentalic
June 11th, 2022, 20:17
One spot left