PDA

View Full Version : HERO System

Lysander
October 19th, 2007, 00:41
Has anyone tried to tackle the HERO system in FG at all?

It's a d6 based game, and after reading some post threads, seems to parallel SW to at least some extent. It's mainly a Superhero type game, but I've used the system for Modern, and Fantasy with mixed results.

Anyone played both? if so, can you compare and contract SW and HERO at all?

terrell
October 19th, 2007, 01:57
I have played both – Hero for since the early 90’s, but neither in FG. I really like both systems, but lean heavily towards Savage Worlds. Hero, specifically Champions, will IMO handle higher powered Supers a better than Savage but the trade off in time would not be worth it for me. There are a ton of Savaged Evangelists on the forum here, so I will let them go into more detail for you. I’ll just say the speed of the system and the dramatically reduced prep time won me over very quickly. It is my rules system of choice for most genres.

Sorontar
October 19th, 2007, 01:58
Huge fan of Hero and as generic systems go its awesome, I love what you can do with the system.

As of yet I have not seen anyone mention that they are specifically working on the rules.

What you could do is use the Generic ruleset that was developed for FG2 (should be easily searchable) which allows you to manually enter Stats, skills etc and just have the books for reference whilst you play. Not all singing and dancing but doable I reckon.

SW is an excellent system which promises fast, furious fun. Character creation is quick and gameplay can be as detailed as you want. Using tactics is advised to survive thats for sure.

SW:Explorers Edition is less than $10 to buy a hardcopy and is more than worth the purchase. The ruleset done by DA for FG is excellent as well and you get a nice adventure that showcases most things including the mass battle rules.

A nice change from your usual Superhero campaign in SW would be Necessary Evil (all the heroes are gone and only the villains are left to fight for mankind, well for themselves but mankind benefits if the invaders are beaten :D)

Fizban
July 19th, 2009, 18:21
If I could get a tutorial an creating a rule set I will be happy to try and build a HERO rule set for FG2. I will look for a tutorial myself however any suggestions would be welcome.

Tristram
July 20th, 2009, 04:50
A little while back I e-mailed Steve Long through the Hero website about making an official ruleset for Fantasy Grounds. He seemed interested though he said they didn't have time to make a plug-in for FG at that time. I sent word to Digital Adventures about contacting Hero and trying to work something out. DA sent word to Hero but didn't get much response. I'm sure Digital Adventures would be happy to add Hero to their list of rulesets. I just think that more Hero fans need to tell the people at Hero Games that we want an official ruleset for Fantasy Grounds and how it would only help Hero Games' sales.

-Tristram

Lithl
July 23rd, 2009, 01:58
I think getting an official Champions ruleset made could get bogged down by Cryptic (owner of the Champions IP) and Hero Games (owner of the HERO system) trying to cooperate. Hero Games could make a generic HERO system ruleset, but they'd probably have to talk to Cryptic to make it a Champions ruleset.

A fan-made ruleset, on the other hand, wouldn't get slowed down by that sort of thing.

silvereagle72
September 23rd, 2010, 00:39
Any further progress on development of this ruleset?

xaotik1
April 9th, 2011, 15:56
Old thread here, but still hoping to see a bit of progress. . .anyone have any luck on getting this ruleset in motion? I'm no coder, but I'm still willing to lend a hand if anyone has a work in progress that they want a hand with. . .

silvereagle72
April 9th, 2011, 21:52
Jack that I know of... regular life has interjected in a big way here.

Werethunder
July 5th, 2011, 17:57
People, it is not possible that people simple give up this amazing idea! It would be great for us, gamers and customers, for the programmer (whoever it may be), for Fantasy Grounds and for Hero Games. We should join and ask for it!
They might start with minor things and go improving it over time!
:ninja:

silvereagle72
July 9th, 2011, 17:12
I have to agree

Werethunder
July 11th, 2011, 18:47
Yes... I e-mailed a message to DA and posted a message in a Hero Games forum. Nothing, so far! But I am still anxious for some reply. If nothing happens soon, I will contact'em again!

Doswelk
July 12th, 2011, 07:40
DA is no longer in the FG business they sold all their rights to Smiteworks, this might be why you are not get a response from Digital Adventures.

Werethunder
July 12th, 2011, 18:00
Dear Doswelk, thank you! Yes, I see that, now... It makes all sense!
I am changing my "targets", so!

Cheers!

Senoj
August 10th, 2011, 19:02
Both Smiteworks and DOJ were within snowballs range at Gencon this week. Hopefully there was a conversation even if it was an introduction.

silvereagle72
January 16th, 2012, 23:29
Was there any updates on HERO system at Gencon?

Werethunder
January 17th, 2012, 14:51
I do hope so... The efforts to make it all by myself would make me quit my job! You know, I am a very begginer in the programming arts!

Blackfoot
December 13th, 2012, 15:48
I've actually started puttering with putting together a Ruleset for this one... but honestly.. I am pretty slow with it and don't have a huge amount of time for it... if there were someone else interested in helping pull it together and working on the project together .. it might actually happen.

So far I have the beginnings of a character sheet almost working using the Foundation ruleset as a base... we'll see how it comes along.
I would likely create only modules and functions for 4th or 5th edition rules... 6th edition seems pretty lame to me... they tossed out the baby with the bathwater.

Werethunder
December 13th, 2012, 22:01
That's great news, Blackfoot!
I myself don't have time either, and still would have to go deep inside learning programming... For me, any edition would be welcome, even though I am pretty happy with 6th!
Cheers, and thanks for the initiative. I am looking forward to someone coming to help you in this arduous task!

Dayson
December 15th, 2012, 13:55
I would love to help on this project.

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2013, 17:26
Some updates on this project can be found here:
HERO System/Champions Ruleset Info and Screenshots (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18428-Hero-System&highlight=hero+system)

Blackfoot
December 29th, 2013, 17:32
Updates on this project can be found here now:
HERO System/Champions Ruleset Info and Screenshots (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20112-Champions-HERO-System-Ruleset-FG-3-0)