PDA

View Full Version : Limited Magic

dellanx
May 29th, 2022, 18:59
Morning,

Been looking at Low Magic options in FG for Pathfinder.

With some major edits one could manually do it, but has anyone attempted the Limited Magic (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/limited-magic/) rule variant.

Table: Limited Magic

Spell Level
CL (9)*
CL (6)
CL (4)
Ability Score
DC

--

--

--

--
--

--
--

--
--

* For a sorcerer, increase the minimum caster level of any spell of 2nd level or higher by 1.

Thanks

Kelrugem
May 30th, 2022, 04:26
One certainly needs to edit the DCs manually (are you sure their data is correct? Looks wrong sometimes?), the other things are easy to handle manually :)

Svandal
May 30th, 2022, 06:25
Morning,

Been looking at Low Magic options in FG for Pathfinder.

With some major edits one could manually do it, but has anyone attempted the Limited Magic (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/limited-magic/) rule variant.

Table: Limited Magic

Spell Level
CL (9)*
CL (6)
CL (4)
Ability Score
DC

--

--

--

--
--

--
--

--
--

* For a sorcerer, increase the minimum caster level of any spell of 2nd level or higher by 1.

Thanks

Are you asking how to automate these rules in fantasy grounds, or are you asking if somebody has tried these rules and can share how the game felt like?

For automation. If you use kels extension you can have your spell class as caster level 1, and have effects like
Iftag: three; cl: 4; dc: 2
Or have one spellclass for each spell level.
For npc I dont think you can automate it, but it should not present any problems since I do not think your monsters will cast any spells where caster level and save will have an impact unless it is a high spell level spell relative to the CR.

If you are asking if I have any experience with it, no I do not. But I think these rules make already bad options unplayable for casters and do not hinder some of the better options.
Like summoning and battlefield control are still extremly good options, and damage builds goes from ok/bad to unplayable with low magic option.

Kelrugem
May 30th, 2022, 09:17
Are you asking how to automate these rules in fantasy grounds, or are you asking if somebody has tried these rules and can share how the game felt like?

For automation. If you use kels extension you can have your spell class as caster level 1, and have effects like
For npc I dont think you can automate it, but it should not present any problems since I do not think your monsters will cast any spells where caster level and save will have an impact unless it is a high spell level spell relative to the CR.

If you are asking if I have any experience with it, no I do not. But I think these rules make already bad options unplayable for casters and do not hinder some of the better options.
Like summoning and battlefield control are still extremly good options, and damage builds goes from ok/bad to unplayable with low magic option.

Indeed, with effects one can adjust it a bit :) Though it should be also possible for NPCs to use these effects, or what did you mean? (always depends a bit on how the spellclass of the NPC is set-up, I think) :)

dellanx
May 30th, 2022, 19:45

A bit of everything.

Does "three" have yo be entered automatically, in: :Iftag: three; cl: 4; dc: 2" if not that would be a great fix!

Svandal
May 30th, 2022, 21:15
A bit of everything.

Does "three" have yo be entered automatically, in: :Iftag: three; cl: 4; dc: 2" if not that would be a great fix!

Not sure what you mean by the question.
For pc I think it would be better to have a spell class for each spell level.

For npc this might work:
Cl: 1 [-cl]; dc [-CHA]
Replace cha with int or wis
The have nine lines of
Iftag: two; cl: 2; dc: 1
Iftag: three; cl: 4; dc; 1
Iftag: four; cl: 6; dc: 2
Etc etc

That is a lot of effects, and I am not sure if it works since I have not tested it, but it might give you some ideas of how to do it.

Kelrugem
May 31st, 2022, 01:43
A bit of everything.

You probably asked whether the tag three is added to spells automatically? Yes, it is, there is always an automatic custom tag of the spell level it is dropped into :) (but the operators have to be in caps, so, IFTAG: three; CL: 4; DC: 2; ...)

dellanx
June 4th, 2022, 16:59
You probably asked whether the tag three is added to spells automatically? Yes, it is, there is always an automatic custom tag of the spell level it is dropped into :) (but the operators have to be in caps, so, IFTAG: three; CL: 4; DC: 2; ...)

That is very convenient, thanks!