PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Arcane Ward

rhagelstrom
May 26th, 2022, 02:12
Current Version: 1.16
Updated: 02/28/23

Arcane Ward is Fantasy Grounds extension for 5E that automates the School of Abjuration trait Arcane Ward. Also mostly automates legacy NPCs with the trait Arcane Ward. This extension also helps automate and track spell/pact slot usage. This extension is useful even if no one in the party is an Abjuration Wizard.

An Actor can use their own arcane ward to protect another Actor with the effect ARCANEWARD
You can upcast your spell or cast it as a ritual by holding shift and clicking the cast/arcane ward button
Holding control and clicking the cast/arcane ward button will switch between Spell Slots and Pact Magic Slots. Must have "Spellcasting" and "Pact Magic" features.

Notes:

A PC character must have the feature "spellcasting" for the cast buttons to appear.
A Warlock must have the feature "pact magic" for the cast buttons to appear for pact magic.
An Abjuration Wizard must have both features "spellcasting" and "arcane ward".
If a character has the feature "arcane ward", the cast powers buttons will always be enabled regardless of the option settings.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/635/view

History
Initial
Fixed - Issue with CT labels on host
Fixed - Compatibility with Spell Action Info (thanks Zarestia)
Added better visual support for spell slot usage
Added ability to change the text in Arcane Ward trait to support 3rd party class. The text "equal to twice your wizard" can be changed to "equal to twice your <homebrew>" and the text "+ your Intelligence modifier" can be change to "+ your <ability> modifier" where <ability> is an ability
Feature: Added support for pact magic and multiclass pact magic/spellcasting. Hold control and click cast button to switch between spellcasting slot and
pact magic slot. Added option to use pact slots as default. Must have both Spellcasting and Pact Magic
Feature: Added a spacer on the power page so all the buttons line up
Fixed: Visual CT misalignment of AW when using Constitutional Amendments and Legendary Assistant
Fixed: Ceiling on Arcane Ward based on when first activated after long rest
Changed: Moved Arcane Ward options to its own group "Arcane Ward"
Hotfix: Header change ActionDamage.applyDamage in 5E ruleset
Fixed: Proper fix for Ruleset change
Fixed: CT alignment with Constitutional Amendments, Legendary Assistant, Combat Groups
Fixed: Pact/Spellcasting buttons weren't always initializing to the correct slot type
Fixed: Restricted cast as ritual to those with ritual casting
Changed: Relaxed cast button requirement. Group Type must be spells. Feature spellcasting needs to be contained in feature name and not exact match
Changed: Extension icon and Cast different, better support for theme
Added: Some checks so we don't fail when passed malformed data
Fixed - Conflict with Constitutional Amendments client CT from ruleset changes
Fixed: Performance optimizations; Fix heal as damage
Fixed: Script Error/Conflict Spell Action Info

mayagchaisq
May 26th, 2022, 05:32
I've start play this game today, this game is good :D

rhagelstrom
May 27th, 2022, 00:52
Version Update: 1.2
Fixed - Compatibility with Spell Action Info (thanks Zarestia)

estrolof
May 27th, 2022, 14:03
Firstly, I played around with this solo (no session until Mon): fantastic!

Second, the "consume a spell slot" feature is a fantastic add. With that said, and to (unfortunately) sound greedy and uninformed about the effort you put in...

...how hard would it be to make that consume slot button appear for all casters who use slots? "IF abj do Ward math & consume slot; IFN abj just consume slot"?

It seems (maybe I misread it), but it checks for class: wizard, not just ability:arcane ward, right? Thus meaning you couldn't homebrew a class with arcane ward and have it work...right?

rhagelstrom
May 27th, 2022, 14:41
Firstly, I played around with this solo (no session until Mon): fantastic!

Second, the "consume a spell slot" feature is a fantastic add. With that said, and to (unfortunately) sound greedy and uninformed about the effort you put in...

...how hard would it be to make that consume slot button appear for all casters who use slots? "IF abj do Ward math & consume slot; IFN abj just consume slot"?

It seems (maybe I misread it), but it checks for class: wizard, not just ability:arcane ward, right? Thus meaning you couldn't homebrew a class with arcane ward and have it work...right?

If you play with the options, you can turn on the consume slot for all spell casters. It doesn't do pact magic slots but I could probably add that. I have a caster who I'm pretty sure more often than not forgets to check the spell slot used. Having it in line with the power I think will lessen that as well as I'll get a notification now when it is checked off.

It does check for wizard as it needs to know the class lvl to do the calculations correctly and also deal with multicasting. I had the same situation as the wizard in my campaign is a reskin "runewalker" so that is also a valid class. If you need to have the same exception you can unzip the ext, search for "runewalker" and add the same in there. I can try to think of a more generic way to handle home-brew classes.

nephranka
May 27th, 2022, 15:31
If you play with the options, you can turn on the consume slot for all spell casters. It doesn't do pact magic slots but I could probably add that. I have a caster who I'm pretty sure more often than not forgets to check the spell slot used. Having it in line with the power I think will lessen that as well as I'll get a notification now when it is checked off.

It does check for wizard as it needs to know the class lvl to do the calculations correctly and also deal with multicasting. I had the same situation as the wizard in my campaign is a reskin "runewalker" so that is also a valid class. If you need to have the same exception you can unzip the ext, search for "runewalker" and add the same in there. I can try to think of a more generic way to handle home-brew classes.

Pact would be great! I also, have multiclass players with both regular slots and pact, so logic to take pact first might be something to look at as well?

estrolof
May 27th, 2022, 17:44
I'll look at those settings!! Faaaancy indeed!!

MeAndUnique
May 27th, 2022, 19:15

Abilities include a "source" field in the DB for the character containing the name of the class the feature came from. So you could possibly use that to determine class level in a generic, homebrewable fashion.

rhagelstrom
May 27th, 2022, 19:45
Abilities include a "source" field in the DB for the character containing the name of the class the feature came from. So you could possibly use that to determine class level in a generic, homebrewable fashion.

I was looking at the Trait itself. I could just parse the whole trait then people can change the wording and adjust it however they would like.

eriktedesco
May 28th, 2022, 17:02
I was looking at the Trait itself. I could just parse the whole trait then people can change the wording and adjust it however they would like.

Hi Rhagelstrom, has this extension be implemented in GrimPress Automatic Series or is it a separate extension altogether?

rhagelstrom
May 28th, 2022, 22:45
Hi Rhagelstrom, has this extension be implemented in GrimPress Automatic Series or is it a separate extension altogether?

It is pretty stand alone but will integrate into Automatic Series or any other for that matter pretty seamlessly. I'll see if they want to add native support for Project Ward but setting that up is only a matter of adding a power with an effect ARCANEWARD

nephranka
May 30th, 2022, 01:56
When it comes to spells and slots being removed, some spell have only effects and not casts. Is there a possibility that we can get slots removed when the effect button is used for the spell? Thanks!

estrolof
May 30th, 2022, 02:10
In the current iteration (when toggled on) you get a button for each spell to consume slots - regardless of any other buttons (cast, effect, dmg, or cure). A blue wizard hat for abjuration spells or an orange flame for all others.

Integration into a CAST button would be epic. (Saving the extra click.)

nephranka
May 30th, 2022, 12:41
In the current iteration (when toggled on) you get a button for each spell to consume slots - regardless of any other buttons (cast, effect, dmg, or cure). A blue wizard hat for abjuration spells or an orange flame for all others.

Integration into a CAST button would be epic. (Saving the extra click.)

I saw that but I did not put together it is adding them even to spells that don't have a cast icon. Very cool!

estrolof
May 30th, 2022, 12:59
Same for me, until Rhagelstrom corrected me. I love the variable icons on the buttons between abjuration and not abjuration too.

Like many of us, I use a ton of extensions, and always have to remind my less savvy caster players about the difference between CAST and (Capital Gains) SPEND/GAIN Resource buttons - which share the same d20 icon (and, oddly, don't populate the text box like dmg and cure do). That's another reason I think Rhagelstrom aced this one. :D

rhagelstrom
June 6th, 2022, 02:05
Version update: 1.3

Added better visual support for spell slot usage
Added ability to change the text in Arcane Ward trait to support 3rd party class. The text "equal to twice your wizard" can be changed to "equal to twice your <homebrew>" and the text "+ your Intelligence modifier" can be change to "+ your <ability> modifier" where <ability> is an ability

Fingersome
June 7th, 2022, 12:38
For some reason, the extension doesn't appear to be working for me... I can see the ward and edit it for the character, but when the wizard takes damage, it goes straight to the wizard's hit points, bypassing the ward; this occurs even when I'm not running any other extensions. Is this the intended functionality?

Fingersome
June 7th, 2022, 12:50
For some reason, the extension doesn't appear to be working for me... I can see the ward and edit it for the character, but when the wizard takes damage, it goes straight to the wizard's hit points, bypassing the ward; this occurs even when I'm not running any other extensions. Is this the intended functionality?

UPDATE 1: It appears this is caused by an extension conflict. I'll do some experimentation to figure out what's causing the problem....

UPDATE 2: Having tried a few things to see what causes this in a fresh test campaign, it doesn't appear that it's caused by an extension conflict, but perhaps from updating from a previous version of Arcane Ward...?

UPDATE 3: I have solved the riddle and the answer was very simple. I renamed the class ability (as I usually do, out of habit) thus the extension became broken because it was looking for a class feature that wasn't there.

rhagelstrom
June 7th, 2022, 18:56
UPDATE 1: It appears this is caused by an extension conflict. I'll do some experimentation to figure out what's causing the problem....

UPDATE 2: Having tried a few things to see what causes this in a fresh test campaign, it doesn't appear that it's caused by an extension conflict, but perhaps from updating from a previous version of Arcane Ward...?

UPDATE 3: I have solved the riddle and the answer was very simple. I renamed the class ability (as I usually do, out of habit) thus the extension became broken because it was looking for a class feature that wasn't there.

Yes it checks for a number of things. If there is a Trait "Arcane Ward" parses the text for the class and ability modifier. Treats "abjuration" spells different than other schools and the spells need to be in the Spells group. Renaming those things is likely to make arcane ward not work. Glad you got it working

nephranka
June 7th, 2022, 22:16
Quick question: Does the casting button appear work for clerics and paladins or only arcane casters? I have 2 that are not seeing it but a Warlock and multi wiz/cleric who do. Thanks!

rhagelstrom
June 7th, 2022, 22:31
Quick question: Does the casting button appear work for clerics and paladins or only arcane casters? I have 2 that are not seeing it but a Warlock and multi wiz/cleric who do. Thanks!

Works with all casters. Make sure that the options to see those buttons are turned to "on" as they are defaulted to off. If the power group name is changed from "Spells" it also won't show up.

Pact magic isn't implemented yet as I still need to think about how I want to approach that one.

nephranka
June 7th, 2022, 23:08
Works with all casters. Make sure that the options to see those buttons are turned to "on" as they are defaulted to off. If the power group name is changed from "Spells" it also won't show up.

Pact magic isn't implemented yet as I still need to think about how I want to approach that one.

Spells was the trigger, thanks! Yeah, the warlock is just going through the motions right now ;)

nephranka
June 17th, 2022, 10:51
I noticed a rather complex interaction between CA and Arcane Ward and Legendary Assistant. The box for AW shifts to cover the faction helmet when all three are loaded (s3.png below). In an attempt to fix it, I changed LA's load order to last. This works if AW is on (s2.png), but if I turn it off (s1.png) the AW box stays and the labels are shifted. I assume changing the load order is just a band aid. Given all three are interacting I thought I post in all three. I understand, due to the complexity of the interaction, it may not be resolvable but I thought I give it an ask.

rhagelstrom
June 17th, 2022, 22:05
That’s probably me. I’ll give it a look

nephranka
June 18th, 2022, 18:26
That’s probably me. I’ll give it a look

Thanks!

Slagmoth
June 23rd, 2022, 05:22
So finally glad this is a thing, saves me from trying to find the time to code it, and to be honest it was niche anyway so not a high priority.

However, I have found 3 things.

First, AW has a max hp and it doesn't seem to be enforcing that. As an example in my testing I had an Abjurer that had a 14hp (max on first cast) AW but when I cast shield and hit the button it added 2 more for a total of 16.

Second, when adding the AW to the sheets and having the abjuration buttons appear they don't appear on the cleric in the same campaign, not sure if that is conflict or not but nothing showed that I can find in the logs to allude to that. It does however appear to work on the Eldritch Knight though. The cleric is an Arcane cleric in case that matters.

Third, once I enabled the AW field and the Abjuration buttons I can't get rid of the latter. The buttons persist so I am not sure if your toggle is working correctly there.

One suggestion I might give is a video would be great on a demo as well as maybe creating a category in the settings menu specific to your extension, several others have done this and it makes finding your settings much easier but I know the value of following conventions already set too... maybe prefix them so they are easier to find? Dunno, just a thought.

rhagelstrom
June 23rd, 2022, 14:51
So finally glad this is a thing, saves me from trying to find the time to code it, and to be honest it was niche anyway so not a high priority.

However, I have found 3 things.

First, AW has a max hp and it doesn't seem to be enforcing that. As an example in my testing I had an Abjurer that had a 14hp (max on first cast) AW but when I cast shield and hit the button it added 2 more for a total of 16.

Ah.. that is a subtlety I overlooked. I'll fix that

Second, when adding the AW to the sheets and having the abjuration buttons appear they don't appear on the cleric in the same campaign, not sure if that is conflict or not but nothing showed that I can find in the logs to allude to that. It does however appear to work on the Eldritch Knight though. The cleric is an Arcane cleric in case that matters.

If I was to guess the spell group was renamed to something else. The group(s) needs to be the default "Spell" for the buttons to show up. If this is the case it is the second time someone has raised the issue so I'll add to the documentation or take a look at a more robust code solution.

Third, once I enabled the AW field and the Abjuration buttons I can't get rid of the latter. The buttons persist so I am not sure if your toggle is working correctly there.

I'm not sure I follow. Can you provide steps to reproduce?

One suggestion I might give is a video would be great on a demo as well as maybe creating a category in the settings menu specific to your extension, several others have done this and it makes finding your settings much easier but I know the value of following conventions already set too... maybe prefix them so they are easier to find? Dunno, just a thought.

Yeah that is kind of which way do you go with group or not to group. I was heading in the group direction while I was looking at supporting pact magic spell slots so look for that in an update. Video? maybe, we will see.

Slagmoth
June 23rd, 2022, 19:05
So my Arcane cleric has no renamed categories short of the domain spells by level just for convenience and separating them out as they are always prepared anyway. Just easier book keeping.

I enabled the option that gave the Abjurer the action buttons for the abjuration spells and they show up. You know the ones that show which are abjuration spells and it consumes a spell slot and "heals" the AW? If I toggle that option of the AW windows disappear as expected but those little buttons persist.

Slagmoth
June 23rd, 2022, 21:32
So my Arcane cleric has no renamed categories short of the domain spells by level just for convenience and separating them out as they are always prepared anyway. Just easier book keeping.

I enabled the option that gave the Abjurer the action buttons for the abjuration spells and they show up. You know the ones that show which are abjuration spells and it consumes a spell slot and "heals" the AW? If I toggle that option of the AW windows disappear as expected but those little buttons persist.

Ok, so it does show up on the Cleric, I just didn't scroll down. It doesn't show on the Domain spells but that would be expected as I have them set up based on your explanation.

The Abjuration buttons still persist although that appears to have been there when you load the extension so maybe it is a non-issue, although maybe it should be included in the options menu?

Slagmoth
June 25th, 2022, 03:36
So is there any plan to add an action button to remove the AW from its owner and apply it to a target that expires at the end of that turn? Talking about the extending ability at higher levels.

rhagelstrom
June 25th, 2022, 15:49
So is there any plan to add an action button to remove the AW from its owner and apply it to a target that expires at the end of that turn? Talking about the extending ability at higher levels.

This is what the effect ARCANEWARD is for. Set it up power and 1rd duration or if you need more granularity you can combine it with Better Combat Effects.

rhagelstrom
June 25th, 2022, 23:32
Version Update: 1.4
Feature: Added support for pact magic and multiclass pact magic/spellcasting. Hold control and click cast button to switch between spellcasting slot and
pact magic slot. Added option to use pact slots as default. Must have both Spellcasting and Pact Magic
Fixed: Visual CT misalignment of AW when using Constitutional Admendments and Legendary Assistant

Pact Magic made things really complicated so there was a lot of changes. Let me know if you catch anything.

nephranka
June 27th, 2022, 18:54
Version Update: 1.4
Fixed: Visual CT misalignment of AW when using Constitutional Admendments and Legendary Assistant

Pact Magic made things really complicated so there was a lot of changes. Let me know if you catch anything.

Sorry for the complication. I did try this out and it appears the warlock is not getting a cast button and the alignment issue is still there.

rhagelstrom
June 27th, 2022, 21:44
I tried to reproduce the alignment error and can not. I see you are running LA version 1.2.1 while I'm on 1.2. Where did you get 1.2.1 from?

I double check warlock and seems to work fine on my end (new campaign). Does your warlock have the feature "pact magic"? if not then none of those buttons will show up.

nephranka
June 28th, 2022, 00:11
I tried to reproduce the alignment error and can not. I see you are running LA version 1.2.1 while I'm on 1.2. Where did you get 1.2.1 from?

I double check warlock and seems to work fine on my end (new campaign). Does your warlock have the feature "pact magic"? if not then none of those buttons will show up.

I got the Warlock to trip. I did not have all the books loaded. Still have the CT issue. I have the LA from the forge:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/590/view

rhagelstrom
June 28th, 2022, 00:14
I got the Warlock to trip. I did not have all the books loaded. Still have the CT issue. I have the LA from the forge:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/590/view

Didn’t you say earlier that you were changing the load order? Is that what is going on here?

Guess I was out of date and I never actually ever subscribed to LA. I updated to 1.2.1 and the CT seems fine on my end.

nephranka
June 28th, 2022, 00:54
Didn’t you say earlier that you were changing the load order? Is that what is going on here?

Guess I was out of date and I never actually ever subscribed to LA. I updated to 1.2.1 and the CT seems fine on my end.

I was messing with the load order. I will re-download it and try again.

nephranka
June 28th, 2022, 00:59
Ok. Load order was my issue and totally on my side. Once I fixed that it is working as expected. Thank you for the help and great work!

rhagelstrom
June 28th, 2022, 01:37
Glad you got it working

nephranka
June 28th, 2022, 10:51
I did notice that my warlock had only Pactmagic (Warlock) and not Pactmagic as a feature. I had to remove the (Warlock) to trip the buttons. I had a different player who had both. Don't I pass it along incase others ran into the same issue.

rhagelstrom
June 28th, 2022, 19:24
Update the documentation to be explicit about expected inputs and conditions

nephranka
June 30th, 2022, 18:36
Edit: It was LA. I had all three loaded still. AW is fine.

nephranka
June 30th, 2022, 18:52
So it looks like it got more complicated. Now when all 4 exts are in play I have an issue. The AW box covers the factions and other don't slide down.

rhagelstrom
June 30th, 2022, 19:13
Gross. I might have to take a look to see if I can offset of a different point. The reordering CA does of those fields is really throwing me for a loop.

rhagelstrom
July 2nd, 2022, 20:16
I looked into this a bit and it looks like Combat Groups and Legendary Assistant don't play well together. I think the issue might be fixed if the other two get along so I'm not sure there is much I can do until then and then we can revisit the issue if it is still there

nephranka
July 2nd, 2022, 23:01
I looked into this a bit and it looks like Combat Groups and Legendary Assistant don't play well together. I think the issue might be fixed if the other two get along so I'm not sure there is much I can do until then and then we can revisit the issue if it is still there

Thanks for the update. I will pass it along to LA.

rhagelstrom
July 20th, 2022, 01:07
Version Update: 1.4.1
Hotfix: Header change ActionDamage.applyDamage in 5E ruleset

ZoranDob
July 21st, 2022, 12:51
Hi. I think I am not understanding the usage of this extension. I want to be able to use the cast buttons feature. And one of the four PCs has this appear on the actions tab. My rogue. But I have a wizard and a druid who do not have it on their sheets. You mentioned that they needed spellcasting feature, and they do, but still doesnt work. You also mentioned that they need the arcane ward feature, but I dont know where to find that, besides the options menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rhagelstrom
July 21st, 2022, 14:25
I should probably just make a video sometime but hope this helps. You need to turn on the spell powers buttons in the first screenshot. The players also need Spellcasting for the buttons to show up as seen in the second screenshot. Spellcasting needs to be spelled just like that. FG will add Spellcasting to characters created with standard WoTC cannon (PHB TCoE etc). If you are converting and importing a character from somewhere else or using a 3rd party class then all bets are off if the conversion is right. The third screenshot shows how it looks with the cast powers button.

jfg1984
July 21st, 2022, 14:34
I should probably just make a video sometime but hope this helps. You need to turn on the spell powers buttons in the first screenshot. The players also need Spellcasting for the buttons to show up as seen in the second screenshot. Spellcasting needs to be spelled just like that. FG will add Spellcasting to characters created with standard WoTC cannon (PHB TCoE etc). If you are converting and importing a character from somewhere else or using a 3rd party class then all bets are off if the conversion is right. The third screenshot shows how it looks with the cast powers button.

This took some getting used to on my part as well, because if you say ... pick up a level of bard and get "Spellcasting" then later multi-class into wizard and get "Spellcasting (Wizard)" ... then your bard spells will have the cast buttons but your wizard spells won't.

It's also worth mentioning that I've found not only does your "Spellcasting" in the abilities tab need to be spelled exactly like that ... your "Spells" power group in your actions tab needs to also be spelled exactly like that. If either of those two things are different, the cast buttons will not show up.

rhagelstrom
July 21st, 2022, 14:40
This took some getting used to on my part as well, because if you say ... pick up a level of bard and get "Spellcasting" then later multi-class into wizard and get "Spellcasting (Wizard)" ... then your bard spells will have the cast buttons but your wizard spells won't.

It's also worth mentioning that I've found not only does your "Spellcasting" in the abilities tab need to be spelled exactly like that ... your "Spells" power group in your actions tab needs to also be spelled exactly like that. If either of those two things are different, the cast buttons will not show up.

True. All by design as I didn't want to mess with character sheets for people who don't want that stuff. I can however probably relax some of this strict matching as it seems to be causing more questions. I'll look at it this weekend.

jfg1984
July 21st, 2022, 15:05
True. All by design as I didn't want to mess with character sheets for people who don't want that stuff. I can however probably relax some of this strict matching as it seems to be causing more questions. I'll look at it this weekend.

Maybe adding all of the "Spellcasting (Class)" from abilities and "Spells (Class)" spell powers from actions would be helpful, because once you get into multi-classing this is the format the base 5E ruleset seems to use when it adds the new class feature and spells to your abilities and actions tabs, and it's probably not intuitive for most to think they need to go in and delete what the base game filled in for them.

ZoranDob
July 21st, 2022, 15:46

I have done exactly what you have suggested. But still only the rogue gets your buttons. Invyoyr second image you have an arrow pointing to arcane ward in the features. Where did get that from? Is that what is missing for me.

rhagelstrom
July 21st, 2022, 15:58
I have done exactly what you have suggested. But still only the rogue gets your buttons. Invyoyr second image you have an arrow pointing to arcane ward in the features. Where did get that from? Is that what is missing for me.

You don't need Arcane Ward for the power buttons to show up. Last thing is probably what @jfg1984 is saying. The spells need to be in the power group "Spells" it has to match that exactly. If it's something like "Spells (Wizard)" it won't show up. I'll relax these strict requirements the next update so it causes less confusion for people.

ZoranDob
July 22nd, 2022, 02:29
You don't need Arcane Ward for the power buttons to show up. Last thing is probably what @jfg1984 is saying. The spells need to be in the power group "Spells" it has to match that exactly. If it's something like "Spells (Wizard)" it won't show up. I'll relax these strict requirements the next update so it causes less confusion for people.

That did the trick. Thanks!

rhagelstrom
July 24th, 2022, 02:59
Version Update: 1.5
Fixed: Proper fix for Ruleset change
Fixed: CT alignment with Constitutional Amendments, Legendary Assistant, Combat Groups
Fixed: Pact/Spellcasting buttons weren't always initializing to the correct slot type
Fixed: Restricted cast as ritual to those with ritual casting
Changed: Relaxed cast button requirement. Group Type must be spells. Feature spellcasting needs to be contained in feature name and not exact match

jfg1984
July 24th, 2022, 18:21
Does the group type work as long as spells is in the name or does it have to be "spells" exactly? Because in the event of a multi-class, FG is also keen to give you a "spells (wizard)" and a "spells (cleric)" for example as two separate group types so it can make the base spell casting ability scores intelligence for one and wisdom for the other, respectively.

rhagelstrom
July 24th, 2022, 18:34
Does the group type work as long as spells is in the name or does it have to be "spells" exactly? Because in the event of a multi-class, FG is also keen to give you a "spells (wizard)" and a "spells (cleric)" for example as two separate group types so it can make the base spell casting ability scores intelligence for one and wisdom for the other, respectively.

The toggle between Spells/Abilities:

jfg1984
July 25th, 2022, 15:36
The toggle between Spells/Abilities:

Got cha! That makes it all much much easier, thanks!

rhagelstrom
July 30th, 2022, 21:37
Version Update: 1.6
Changed: Extension icon and Cast different, better support for themes
Added: Some checks so we don't fail when passed malformed data

rhagelstrom
August 16th, 2022, 03:26
Version Update 1.7:
Fixed: Ruleset change in the CT

rhagelstrom
August 28th, 2022, 21:05
Version 1.8:
Fixed: CT Labels incorrect when used with Constitutional Admendments

rhagelstrom
August 30th, 2022, 23:46
Version Update: 1.9
Fixed: Conflict with Spell Action Info which had an internal name change
Fixed: Script error for NPCs without traits

nephranka
August 31st, 2022, 01:21
Version Update: 1.9
Fixed: Conflict with Spell Action Info which had an internal name change
Fixed: Script error for NPCs without traits

Cool! Thanks for that. I am glad it was an easy fix.

rhagelstrom
September 19th, 2022, 15:37
Version Update: 1.10

nephranka
September 19th, 2022, 16:06
Version Update: 1.10

Thank you!

Fingersome
October 26th, 2022, 03:53
For some reason, when a character with arcane ward is healed, it prevents the healing treating it as damage...?

rhagelstrom
October 27th, 2022, 02:29
I can confirm this. I'll get a fix in tomorrow morning.

rhagelstrom
October 28th, 2022, 00:29
Version Update: 1.11

Fixed: Performance optimizations; Fix heal as damage

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2022, 09:42
Hi rhagelstrom, jolly fine extension.

A couple of questions; or maybe one question and a possible bug report - or maybe even two bug reports :)

At any rate on the DM side when using this extension and no others the Name and Initiative text at the top of the CT overwrite one another. I assume this is because once the extra AW header goes in it's pushing the other headers to the left except the name one which is staying where it is.

Also, and more importantly perhaps, is it intended that the AW header and boxes don't appear on the client at all either in the CT or the character sheet? The AW box appears fine for the GM in both CT and character sheets but are absent in the client view.

MrDDT
November 21st, 2022, 16:03
Hi rhagelstrom, jolly fine extension.

A couple of questions; or maybe one question and a possible bug report - or maybe even two bug reports :)

At any rate on the DM side when using this extension and no others the Name and Initiative text at the top of the CT overwrite one another. I assume this is because once the extra AW header goes in it's pushing the other headers to the left except the name one which is staying where it is.

Also, and more importantly perhaps, is it intended that the AW header and boxes don't appear on the client at all either in the CT or the character sheet? The AW box appears fine for the GM in both CT and character sheets but are absent in the client view.

I'm not seeing either of these issues. I posted on FG discord to hit you up there to see whats going on.

Also wanted to note that the AW seen on the CT for the PC is a personal setting in options, so each PC that wants to see it would need to turn that on.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2022, 16:25
Yes, for others reading this, the solution is that there's an option client side which needs to be set in order to have the AW boxes appear on the CT and on the character sheet. Once you know that then the problem goes away.

Thanks @MrDDT

wframe
November 23rd, 2022, 17:56
I might be missing something, but I was trying to get this working today and having some issues, primarily with Arcane Ward.

The extension did create a feature with several temporary hitpoint heal entries for Arcane Ward. Those are all Self. They obviously apply to the Tmp box, not the AW box, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do there.

The other issue is Projected Ward: If a player is going to use it to protect another player, how does that work? I created an effect: ARCANEWARD. That puts the text description on the player, but when I roll damage against that player, it still does damage to them. Am I just supposed to manually type the number into the AW (or Tmp) field on that player? I guess I'm missing the point of the ARCANEWARD effect.

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
November 23rd, 2022, 18:14
You first of all need to go into options and set the CT: Show Arcane Ward to on. Once you do that you'll see a box on the character sheet and a row of them in the CT headed AW. On the characters action tab you'll see a wizard hat icon next to any adjuration spells. The character needs to click that icon when they cast the spell and it will automatically grant the caster the temporary hit points. These will be visible in the CT and on the character sheet.

For ARCANEWARD. Create the effect with targeting of 'Targets'. The Caster should then target the player they want to protect and then click the running man icon to apply the effect on that character. When they click on any abjuration spells' wizard hat the AW points will go onto the caster. If the character with the ACANEWARD on them gets damaged then the AW points will first be deducted from the AW points on the caster.

wframe
November 23rd, 2022, 18:26
You first of all need to go into options and set the CT: Show Arcane Ward to on. Once you do that you'll see a box on the character sheet and a row of them in the CT headed AW. On the characters action tab you'll see a wizard hat icon next to any adjuration spells. The character needs to click that icon when they cast the spell and it will automatically grant the caster the temporary hit points. These will be visible in the CT and on the character sheet.

For ARCANEWARD. Create the effect with targeting of 'Targets'. The Caster should then target the player they want to protect and then click the running man icon to apply the effect on that character. When they click on any abjuration spells' wizard hat the AW points will go onto the caster. If the character with the ACANEWARD on them gets damaged then the AW points will first be deducted from the AW points on the caster.

I see what I was doing wrong. I had to do a long rest for the party to get it to refresh so the initial 16 (level 6+4 int) points were applied. Now it appears to be working and the ARCANEWARD effect works as expected. Thanks, Zac!

rhagelstrom
December 14th, 2022, 03:56
Version Update: 1.13
Fixed: Cast button not showing up on spell add

rhagelstrom
January 4th, 2023, 22:32
Version Update: 1.14
Removed AW fields from the CT and the char sheet in favor of @MeAndUnique method of using a widget for a cleaner look. Also should eliminate the extension conflicts associated with playing in those spaces. Thank you!

wframe
January 4th, 2023, 23:56
Version Update: 1.14
Removed AW fields from the CT and the char sheet in favor of @MeAndUnique method of using a widget for a cleaner look. Also should eliminate the extension conflicts associated with playing in those spaces. Thank you!

A widget? How do I access the information now? I was using the combat tracker exclusively.

rhagelstrom
January 5th, 2023, 00:19
A widget? How do I access the information now? I was using the combat tracker exclusively.

The widget is visible if the actor has any Arcane Ward HP. You an hold shift and use the mouse wheel to adjust the value if you need to. If the actor has no Arcane Ward HP then you won't be able to adjust.

nephranka
January 5th, 2023, 00:32
Very cool!

wframe
January 5th, 2023, 02:10
The widget is visible if the actor has any Arcane Ward HP. You an hold shift and use the mouse wheel to adjust the value if you need to. If the actor has no Arcane Ward HP then you won't be able to adjust.

Ah, I see. Thank you!

rhagelstrom
February 19th, 2023, 21:30
Version Update: 1.15
Updated DB calls for how SW wants them with the incoming update
Added Luacheck for automated code analysis for errors/warning
Code Formatting

rhagelstrom
February 24th, 2023, 00:18
Arcane Ward is currently Broken, so don't use it. I'll see if I can get it fixed tomorrow morning

rhagelstrom
February 28th, 2023, 23:58
Version Update 1.16
Fixed - Script Error/Conflict Spell Action Info

Tex
March 10th, 2023, 01:56
I like this alot since I ALWAYS forget to mark my spell slots. Just one question, how do I make cast, like "Cure Wounds" marked at a higher spell slot without it being manual? It works fine if I am just casting as is. I may be missing a setting change as I am confused which mod I am using does for what effect. Like many, I am running probably too many mods.

rhagelstrom
March 10th, 2023, 05:19
I like this alot since I ALWAYS forget to mark my spell slots. Just one question, how do I make cast, like "Cure Wounds" marked at a higher spell slot without it being manual? It works fine if I am just casting as is. I may be missing a setting change as I am confused which mod I am using does for what effect. Like many, I am running probably too many mods.

If you hold shift and click it turns the button into a cycler and you can choose your level

Tex
March 10th, 2023, 16:11
Holding shift then clicking does nothing. If I hold shift and hold click like for some wheel to come up, nothing again.

Edit: Created a default campaign and dumped all other mods but this one. Still not showing anything on shift + click to change spell level.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2023, 16:35
Holding shift then clicking does nothing. If I hold shift and hold click like for some wheel to come up, nothing again.

Edit: Created a default campaign and dumped all other mods but this one. Still not showing anything on shift + click to change spell level.

Hold SHIFT and click on the little Cast icon and it will cycle through the levels. Of course you must have spell slots above level one in order for that to work. But at any rate it is working for me.

Tex
March 12th, 2023, 03:17
Yeah, it's still not working. My friend loaded and is having same issue. Please help.

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2023, 09:31
Yeah, it's still not working. My friend loaded and is having same issue. Please help.

In that case it is likely that another extension is interfering. Test in a new campaign with just the Arcane Ward extension loaded to see if that works. If it does then another extension is probably the issue.

rhagelstrom
March 12th, 2023, 16:49

You'll only be able to upcast the spells that can be upcast. If you hover over the button arcane ward adds, if it says cast, then it isn't able to be upcast. If it says "Cast at Lvl 1" then if you hold shift and click the button you'll notice the tool tip changes to "Cast at Lvl 2" or "Cast as Ritual". If its still isn't working try with no other extensions like Zac said. I'm not seeing any issue on my end.

rhagelstrom
December 9th, 2023, 22:01
Version Update: 1.17
Support for Automatic Wild Magic Surge extension