PDA

View Full Version : Bug Report: Combat tracker doesn't save in some cases

Dachannien
October 16th, 2007, 03:59
There are some cases where the combat tracker does not save, even when it is supposed to.

One: both autosaves and manual /saves. Neither of these cases will cause the combat tracker to save its current state. AFAIK, there is no way to hook the save function and cause the tracker to save, so it may be useful to sprinkle the tracker code liberally with calls to the storeToRegistry function.

Two: exiting the program without first closing the combat tracker. Exiting the program apparently does not trigger the onClose event for the combat tracker window. If you exit the program without closing the combat tracker, the tracker's current state will not save.

The combination of these two problems means that there are multiple situations where you can lose the results of a combat in the middle of said combat. Specifically, if you exit without closing the combat tracker, or if FG crashes, you will lose all changes made to the combat tracker during the current session.

The recent ruleset customization made by rh4300 might come in handy, providing a manual way to minimize the chances of having problems occur, until SmiteWorks can patch the program itself to resolve the issue with the onClose event not firing.

richvalle
October 16th, 2007, 14:22
Yeah, I'm having this issue as well.

For manual saving I've found that the following works:

While the CT is open do a /save
Close the CT and do a /save
Open it back up and do a /save
Exit FG.

On reopening it the CT should be saved.

I still lose it on a crash though.

rv

joshuha
October 16th, 2007, 21:55
The default combat tracker code in the d20 ruleset only commits the combat tracker to the CampaignRegistry when the window is closed. I don't think any amount of /save is going to help that.

Although I agree that shutting down FG with it open should trigger the onClose() event.

richvalle
October 17th, 2007, 14:39
So in my above steps only the 2nd one (close the CT and /save) is actually doing the work.

I suspected as much but didn't take the time to test it.

rv

penlin
November 28th, 2007, 13:37
To be just a bit more specific, my tests show that:

1) if you close the combat tracker by right-clicking on it and select the "axe" on the radial menu, and then do "/save", it does indeed save correctly

2) however, if you open/close the combat tracker by clicking on the combat tracker button on the top-right of the screen, it does *not* save

So, be sure to close the combat tracker via the radial menu if you want it to save.

It seems like this could be easier somehow... ugh

Dachannien
November 29th, 2007, 04:53
Thanks for the further testing - clicking the panel button is one thing I didn't try :)