PDA

View Full Version : Swords and Wizardry Complete Rules feedback Thread.

bayne7400
May 24th, 2022, 16:27
Swords and Wizardry Complete Rules FORGE LINK (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/649/view)

The Swords and Wizardry Complete Rules contains the Player, Spells & Magic, Monsters, and Referee Book(s) by Matt Finch. These modules are used with the Free Swords and Wizardry (White Box OSR) ruleset.

FREE Ruleset LINK (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/612/view)

This product contains four (4) separate modules.

The Player Book, with all classes, races, equipment and the basic rules you need to play them game
The Monster Book which contains over 150 NPC records and Monster Descriptions broken down by HD. Ready to drag and drop into your game
The Referee Book which contains detailed rules for siege combat, mass combat, and ship combat. It also contains Magic item and treasure tables.
The Spells and Magic Book. This book contains spells for Druids, Clerics and Magic Users as well as the rules governing magical research. (over 120 spell records and tables)

Please post any feedback to the S&W Core Books to this thread.

bayne7400
June 12th, 2022, 23:03
Mythmere pushed a small update to the Core Books today. We fixed a few minor typos. Thanks for the feedback.

Szabtom
June 22nd, 2022, 17:30
Hi,

Saving throws do not seem to work as I expected and I am curious why.

With Saving Throw: 11 and bonus +1, I observed the following:

- A minus 1 modifier is applied to the die roll, which is the opposite of how a saving throw bonus works (the aim is to roll high)
- The roll fails or succeeds based on the un-modified die roll. In this example, a roll of 11 succeeds, even though a result of 10 is shown (due to the minus 1 modification applied).

Expected way of working:
- the +modifier increases the die roll result
- the save is made successfully when the modified die roll result is equal to or higher than the ST value

bayne7400
June 22nd, 2022, 18:14
Yup that is right I got got my wires crossed. Ill get this updated today thanks!

Bresnod
November 24th, 2022, 06:08
Was trying to create a multiclass character, Fighter/Magic User/Thief. The character sheet was only allowing for 2 classes. Am I missing something?

bayne7400
November 24th, 2022, 12:13
I only automated two classes.

Myrdin Potter
November 24th, 2022, 15:39
From the rules under Elves: "Elven player characters may be Fighter/Magic-Users, Thieves, or Fighter/Magic-User/Thieves."

When multiclassing as a Fighter, the Strength to-hit and damage bonus does not turn on.

Short Bow is missing damage dice.

Long Sword +1 weighs 60 lbs?

bayne7400
November 24th, 2022, 15:43
I sent Matt an update several months ago to fix those issues in the player book. I will Ping him again.

I'll get the fighter multiclass strength issue updated after the Holiday.

bayne7400
November 26th, 2022, 21:18
I updated the reference manuals and sent them on to Mythmere Games for upload.

Szabtom
December 12th, 2022, 11:07
Yup that is right I got got my wires crossed. Ill get this updated today thanks!

Hi,

Unfortunately, the modifier under "save rolls" does not seem to have any effect.

A suggestion for a minor improvement: on the Abilities tab the Class Abilities section has the list edit buttons, but the Skills section does not. It would be nice to have the buttons for both or for neither, only for consistency (both can be edited with the right-click menu).

And a request: is it possible to use a lighter gray color for the char sheet and the value boxes on the char sheet? I find the black letters and numbers a bit hard to read against the current dark grey background.

bayne7400
December 12th, 2022, 12:08
You can use any free FG theme with this ruleset.

When you open the window to add your save modifier are you rolling on that window? That is for special cases where a character has a specific bonus to say poison or fear.

I'll look at skills. That is meant to be drag and drop but you should be able to right click.

Szabtom
December 12th, 2022, 12:57
Thanks for the quick response!

You were right. The modifiers work when rolling from the modifier window - I did not think to check that.
The thing about Skills is really just cosmetics. Right-clicking works, I just thought the red and green buttons to edit the list could be added.
I will look for a suitable theme.

Thanks

TheMetal1
February 5th, 2023, 22:29
New to FGU but picked up the S&W ruleset. As Multi-class is available, I'm trying to build a Dwarven Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Cleric. However, the character sheet doesn't seem to want to take another class. My assumption is that it is drag and drop into the "Class" line. While this worked for one class, nothing happens with adding a second class. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bayne7400
February 5th, 2023, 22:34
Hey Metal. Glad your trying out SW. So the ruleset does support multi class. See the Image below. Looking at it I should probably move that next to class. Let me know if you have any questions. You can use to discord to sometimes get a faster answer.

TheMetal1
February 6th, 2023, 00:22
Hey Metal. Glad your trying out SW. So the ruleset does support multi class. See the Image below. Looking at it I should probably move that next to class. Let me know if you have any questions. You can use to discord to sometimes get a faster answer.

bayne7400

Thank you. FYI, when I drag and drop the classes into the slots you show in the picture. No abilities are added, nor do their names appear. And I'm still only able to see one class on the main part of the character sheet. Should it be this way or should I be seeing two classes on the sheet? Thanks in advance.

bayne7400
February 6th, 2023, 12:37
First: did you hit the plus sign? See the second arrow. Plus signs usually mean "add something". In this case you adding fields to drop the class.

I look today. What you are expecting is
what is supposed to happen. I'm working on an update and I'll see what's going on with it today

bayne7400
February 6th, 2023, 13:18
Looks like you just need to hut that button. All abilities stats etc are populating

TheMetal1
February 6th, 2023, 17:17
Ok, I see what I need to do now. I was dropping and dragging the class into the "Class" line on the "Main" tab. That only allowed me to have one class. If we click on the magnifying glass right before the "XP" on the "Main" tab, this brings up the option to have multi-class. When I dragged the class into the square it didn't populate. However, when I dropped it into the line, it did. Issue resolved. Thank you.

On another note, I've been messing around with creating Rappan Athuk since I got the ruleset. I figure the best way to get familiar with the ruleset is to make an adventure. It's a long road, but I've been wanting to do it for quite a while. Any tips on working with existing adventures?

Additionally, Is there a way to choose between ascending or descending AC? It appears the descending armor class is default.

bayne7400
February 6th, 2023, 17:56
The ruleset uses the matrix provided in the book as that was the primary listed. The other games it is compatible with such as Operation White Box uses ascending AC but the author listed that as the primary method. It really comes down to item records and time invested to have it both ways.

As far as Adventure. I am not sure the question. You could grab any store adventure and work on converting the monsters and items. The maps , story entries etc should all be compatible.

Also note that any Smite Works theme should work with this ruleset. There are a few free ones you can use on your extensions menu. That second picture was the Baron theme on the Forge.

Grimm Pickins
February 6th, 2023, 18:07
Hey Bayne,

I've been waffling between OSE and S&W (I have both), and I see a good amount of YouTube style tutorial style videos for the earlier - but nothing for the latter. I'm curious if there is any plan to do an overview video of the features of this ruleset?

Also, does Mythmere (or Frog God) have any intent of releasing adventures for this ruleset? I know a number of the FG modules are in the works for 5e (or at least were), and many of these had S&W versions... I'm eagerly awaiting to see what becomes of Rappan Athuk - even if I have to convert it myself. Gods, that is a monster of a tome.

Thanks.

bayne7400
February 6th, 2023, 18:55
So a few things happened. Frog God does not own SW and I believe they are moving to make stuff for OSE. There was a split and Matt took SW core rules when he left Frog God games. The old adventures I believe are at Frog God Games still. (I am not 100% certain)

Second Potter and I intended to make this a general white box OSR ruleset and provide the content on the Forge. That is why you can toggle between games in the options menu and it actually changes the character sheet and rollers. At first everyone agreed to move forward but then Drivethru RPG language changed a bit with regard to exclusive rights non exclusive rights and VTTs. Basically these small game makers would have had to give up money to port their game on FG. Their DTRPG sales are >>> then any sales they would get on FG. So that's why only Operation White Box is officially supported and we never released White Star or Eldritch Tales. Although both should function on this ruleset.
Operation WB (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/701/view)

I will continue to support this ruleset and if people have suggestions I will try my best to incorporate them. Both SW and OSE are similar in what they can do. OSE gets more updates because frankly more people play it and I get more feedback on it. I personally do not plan on making more content for this ruleset. However if anyone else wants to and publish it on the forge I will do my best to support it.

Hope this helps.

Grimm Pickins
February 6th, 2023, 19:06
I knew that Matt Finch had taken back control of S&W, and - yes - Frog God still sells the S&W versions of the adventures, but I'm uncertain of whether or not they will continue to release Lost Lands stuff for S&W. It would be a shame if they didn't, but I realize how niche that is in comparison to 5e. I wasn't aware of the DriveThru changes however, thanks for making me aware.

I like OSE, and I'm a Patreon of Gavin's for Dolmenwood, so I may continue down that road - though, honestly, it came out at a time where I was already deeply into Labyrinth Lord and Lamentations at my 'real life' tables (it seemed a bit redundant in that aspect, though the layout is a thing of beauty). The releases from Necrotic Gnome make OSE a far more tempting option - so I thank you in helping me narrow my decision :)

TheMetal1
February 10th, 2023, 23:51
bayne7400,

I'm working on Rappa Athuk for the S&W Ruleset. I'm familiar with creating Items, encounters, NPCs, etc. However, how do I create spells?

As an example, in the Bandit Group 5 encounter - Turane and his trolls, the wizard has "stinking cloud" as a spell. Likely a holdover from the 3.X version. What I'm doing with spells is dropping them in an NPC's powers section, that way the Referee can see the spells in the Combat tracker. My first thought is to create the spell in the powers area of the NPC. But I wanted to see if there was another way I could do this so I don't have to recreate it every time (or in this case, whenever stinking cloud appears I pull up Turane and drop/drag it to the NPCs that needs it.

Any thoughts or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bayne7400
February 11th, 2023, 02:02
There is a spell menu on the sidebar. If you bought the books they have over 100 spells already input. Spells are drag and drop.

Buy this and all your dreams may come true..

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/649/view

TheMetal1
February 11th, 2023, 06:25
There is a spell menu on the sidebar. If you bought the books they have over 100 spells already input. Spells are drag and drop.

Buy this and all your dreams may come true..

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/649/view

+1 to this! Already picked it up using those features. I also picked up the hardcopy and PDF of S&W Complete. I appreciate the tip about the spells being in the sidebar.

And, because of this, I just realized that you CAN create spells with this feature! Thank you again. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Just finished the Bandit Groups. (Page 22 of 497 of the PDF, but progress is progress!)

TheMetal1
February 12th, 2023, 02:49
How does one show a racial or class bonus to savings throws for the Halfling of +4 to Magic under the "Abilities" tab? I can see the increase in the Halfing's missile bonus on the "Main" tab, but nothing is showing under the "Abilities" tab. The Dwarf's +4 to Magic doesn't show either,

It didn't auto-populate when I dropped in the Halfling or the Dwarf race. It does it for the Magic User's ST bonus, the Clerics ST bonus, the Monks ST Bonus, and the Druid's ST bonus.

Also wanted to double check that you still have to manually input it for in game saving throws, which is no issue for me. The PC needs to remember that! However, having it in the abilities section is a good reminder for the player.

bayne7400
February 12th, 2023, 03:08
Right by saves there is a magnifying glass. You can enter custom saves in there.

Saving throws are automated if triggered form casting a spell. If that is what you are referring to.

TheMetal1
February 12th, 2023, 21:27
First, thank you for pointing out the magnifying glass for ST. This feature will be helpful.

Second, apologies for not being clear!

My concern is that I think there is a ruleset issue/oversight/bug (or just me being ignorant!) with racial abilities.

Racial abilities for Savings Throws for Halflings and Dwarfs do not appear anywhere on the Character Sheet.

Other racial skills, like the Elven ability to find secret doors appear in the "Abilities" Tab under "Skills." The racial ability for enhanced senses, like Darkvision for elves, half-elves, and dwarfs, all appear under the "Main" Tab under "Senses."

The class abilities for the Saving Throw bonus work fine. They appear automatically in the "Abilities" Tab of the PC Character sheet under "Class Abilities." Examples of this are the Thief's or Magic User's savings throw bonus. There should be something similar on this tab for the racial savings throws, but there is not.

I'm reaching out to see if this was an error or if it is only occurring on my computer. Let me know thanks!

bayne7400
February 12th, 2023, 22:46
You open the magnifying glass and add it like this. SW only has one save. You can use this so people will not have to remember to put a +4 in the modifier box each time they roll a save against magic. The player can just click it. The racial skills and abilities are hard coded in based on SW RAW. I use a series of tables. I will also add that submenu for saves was added for a different White Box OSR game I incorporated into the ruleset (After I did SW). My original intent was to always have the player know how to play his character and use the modifier box. If you have a request for something that's great just let me know.

TheMetal1
February 26th, 2023, 19:52
Bayne7400,

I'm trying to find the link to the "Table 17: Thieving Skills" (found on page 25 of S&WC PDF Ruebook). I looked under both the "Thief" class link and the "Thieving Skills" link. Unfortunately, they only describe the skills, they do not show the required roll per level/advancement. I went under images and for the Swords & Wizardry Players Manual, and again nothing, though they do have the assassin thief skills. There was nothing to be found under the reference manual for the Players Manual either.

Maybe I missed it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

bayne7400
February 27th, 2023, 01:22
ok so I cant explain why that chart is not in reference manual. I'll try and get Matt to update the module. But if you open the thief class record click over to the data tab at the top is a little magnifying class. You can find it there.

TheMetal1
March 16th, 2023, 19:38
bayne7400

My work continues on Rappan Athuk, I'm in Level 0B. Cloister of the Frog God (within the Vaults), around page 61. However, I already completed the Zelkor's Ferry's Area so I'm a bit further along.

Anyway, as I was inputting some NPCs, I noticed that the Monk class the Weapon Damage Bonus granted at 1st Level, instead of 2nd level (as in S&W complete). I didn't know if it was granted at 1st Level in the white box, so I figured I'd post.

I also noticed that the Alertness Ability for the Monk also includes Missile Deflection, was this intentional (alert - quick reaction to missile weapons) or simply an oversight as the ruleset has it as its own ability.

Let me know! And thank you again for getting this ruleset out!

EDIT: Thief-Type Skills are left out of the description in the Monk class as well. You can find by clicking on the magnifying glass under the data tab for Monk. Note, it is in the reference manual. However, what I noticed is there is no link for or description. This would be a helpful feature if it can be included.

An interim fix is pretty easy. Unlock the Monk Class, create a new description and add a new Class ability link. Then drag and drop to the new class ability.

V/R
TheMetal1

bayne7400
March 16th, 2023, 20:01
So Deflect missiles should be its own ability.

When I look at the PDF Matt sent me, abilities granted at level 1 have no level requirement. Those that have a level obtained have the level in parenthesis. Abilities like slow fall and Weapon damage change as the monk levels. The text clearly defines when and how it applies. Are you saying it is confusing you? If you have the players manual PDF look at page 20 and you can see what I mean. I will note it doesn't not appear the be consistent but neither is the PDF.

TheMetal1
March 16th, 2023, 20:45
No confusion. All the above is about misplaced or missing information.

What I'm saying is that the Deflect Missile Ability is not showing in the Monk Class. It is a typo as it is mixed in with Alertness Class Ability link, which might confuse some people. Recommend that in a future update Deflect Missile has its own Class ability link. The Thief-Type Skills should also have their own Class ability link as the only place one can find it is in the magnifying glass under the "Data" tab or the reference manual.

TheMetal1
March 23rd, 2023, 19:26
Bayne

Ran a sample combat with my friend in FGU. Fighter verses Kobolds.

Automated combat works. However, Damage was dealt, but the status of the Monster remained unchanged and I couldn't figure out how to alter the status manually. The chat window did show the hit killed the kobold. But in the combat tracker, it showed not status change. As the player can also see the combat tracker, his view showed the Kobold as healthy.

Second, I can see that there are Death Markers in the Options but I do not know how to apply them.

Additionally, I recall from Fantasy Grounds Classic there was damage level status available on tokens and in the combat tracker. Is a feature that is left out for this ruleset or forthcoming?

Thanks in advance.
V/R
TheMetal1

bayne7400
March 23rd, 2023, 21:17
Try adding monsters using an encounter and let me know if that works. Monster hp is auto rolled. So if you add and adjust it might not be working right

bayne7400
March 23rd, 2023, 23:50
I was able to check this out. The npcs all have 0 hp since HP are random. I needed to update the script for directly adding a npc to the CT to roll the HP. It was working from encounter records still. Thanks for the report. Please run an update.

All your other issues are addressed with this fix.

Or should be....

dpezet
March 25th, 2023, 01:45
Super low priority, but the navigation titles for "Spells & Magic" and "Front Cover" in the reference manual are in reverse case as "sPELLS & mAGIC" and "fRONT cOVER"

bayne7400
March 25th, 2023, 01:50
That's wild. How did I miss that lol. I'm not sure Matt uploaded the last update. I'll send him. New copy in the morning

Edit: I realized I did not convert that one . I'll send deadhand a message.

Slayveen
March 25th, 2023, 06:23
Super low priority, but the navigation titles for "Spells & Magic" and "Front Cover" in the reference manual are in reverse case as "sPELLS & mAGIC" and "fRONT cOVER"

Hello Dpezet,

Would you mind listing any active themes or fonts you are using? I am unable to repeat this result in the default theme/font for Swords and Wizardry.

Thank you,

-Slayveen (Deadhand)

bayne7400
March 25th, 2023, 13:46
That looks like Sir Mottes theme.

dpezet
March 25th, 2023, 14:44
Would you mind listing any active themes or fonts you are using? I am unable to repeat this result in the default theme/font for Swords and Wizardry.

It looks like you hit the nail on the head. It is the theme causing the issue. I am using Sir Motte's Magnificent Darkness - Hearth Edition (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/12/view) in the screenshot. I tried a few other themes, and the words are in all capital letters. I'll submit a bug in Sir Motte's thread. Sorry for the false alarm.

dpezet
March 25th, 2023, 15:39
I've been playing S&W for years, but I am new to the ruleset in Fantasy Grounds, so I apologize if this is already covered somewhere else. I'm not sure if this is a "ruleset" or "rule book" issue, but, I have noticed an odd behavior with NPC records when viewing them and later adding them to the combat tracker. I've made a video showing it here:

https://youtu.be/tNonLTARZtU

If the video doesn't work, here are the quickest steps to recreate what I am seeing:

Load the S&W ruleset and at least the Monsters and Spells & Magic modules.
Open the NPCs window and find a monster that has records in both the Monsters book and the Spells & Magic book. I'll use the Bugbear for my example.
Click on the Bugbear record from the Monsters book.
When the window opens, you should notice that the original record now shows as modified in the NPCs list.
Say to yourself "Gee, I don't remember changing that record..."
Right click on the Bugbear record and choose Revert changes from the radial menu.

At this point, reverting the changes modifies the Bugbear's hit die to 0. If you add a "reverted" creature to the combat tracker you will get a console error stating:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "Swords and Wizardry:..ts/CombatManager2.lua"]:76: bad argument #2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
The error goes away if I close the campaign and re-open it. This only seems to happen for creatures that are listed in both books, so I suspect that has something to do with it. Either way, it is a pretty easy issue to work around. I just have to resist the temptation to revert changes on records I haven't modified.

bayne7400
March 25th, 2023, 16:09
I'm not around but I bet the spells module has no HD in the field. I'll check out when I get home. I'll also make sure you don't get that error. I can script around it. Thanks again for the detailed explanation

bayne7400
March 25th, 2023, 19:23
Ok so no idea why reverting is causing that. It is not something I can control because that it is a Fantasy Grounds program issue. The control has a default value so maybe that is causing it... But no idea really. I am going to try to re export as read only and see what happens

I did alter the script so it wont throw an error when adding to the CT if it sets die to 0.

Update: Exporting as a read only appears to fix the issue. Once we get Matt to update you will need to revert the entire module in your library.

TheMetal1
April 9th, 2023, 03:46
Bayne, Apologies. I originally posted this in the Whitebox thread and moved it here for clarity. I saw that you posted you were looking into it. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Bayne,

Hope you are well. My Rappan Athuk conversion using the S&W ruleset continues. Finishing up the The Cloister of the Frog God today. Zelkor's Ferry is already done, so next step is a review of what I've done and then onto Level 1: The Lair of the Dung Monster.

Anyway, I noticed a possible minor error. There is a discrepancy between the S&W Complete book description of Vampires and the FGU description. I've used bold to indicate the discrepancies.

Here is the FGU Ruleset for an 8 Hit die Vampire (Note: the other HD vampires all have the same description):

HD 8; AC 2[17]; Atk bite (1d10 + level drain); Move 12 (fly 18); Save 8; AL C; CL/XP 11/1700; Special: +1 or better magic weapon to hit, charm gaze (as charm person, –2 save), gaseous form, killed only in coffin, level drain (2 levels with hit), regenerate (3hp/round), shapeshift, summon bats or wolves.

Here is the description of Vampire Abilities in the S&W Complete Book

Vampires are some of the most powerful of undead creatures. They can only be hit with magic weapons, and when “killed” in this way they turn into a gaseous form, returning to their coffins. They regenerate at a rate of 3 hit points per round, can turn into a gaseous form or into a giant bat at will, and can summon a horde of bats or 3d6 wolves out from the night. Looking into a vampire’s eyes necessitates a saving throw at -2, or the character is charmed (per the Charm Person spell). Most terrifyingly, a vampire’s bite drains two levels from the victim.

TLDR: FGU says a vampire can summon rats instead of bats and has shapeshift without specifying gaseous form or giant bat. These are minor changes and for all I know could be deliberate. Recommend changing to stats to be in line with the S&W Complete rulebook. Thank you for your consideration.

V/R
TheMetal1

bayne7400
April 9th, 2023, 11:01
Will take a look today thanks

bayne7400
April 9th, 2023, 11:50
Vampire: HD 7; AC 2[17]; Atk bite (1d10 + level
drain); Move 12 (fly 18); Save 9; AL C; CL/XP
10/1400; Special: +1 or better magic weapon to
hit, charm gaze (as charm person, –2 save), gaseous
form, killed only in coffin, level drain (2 levels
with hit), regenerate (3hp/round), shapeshift,
summon rats or wolves.

That is the stat block in the manual Matt sent me

There is a vampire in operation WhiteBox WW2 so make sure you are looking at correct NPC version.

TheMetal1
April 10th, 2023, 03:44
Bayne,

Thanks for looking into it. My reference is the Swords & Wizardry Complete PDF (Blue Erol Otus Cover), so it is likely dated. I recently picked up the kickstarter box set and am waiting for the physical copy to arrive. However, the PDF states the following:

Vampire
Hit Dice: 7–9
Armor Class: 2[17]
Attacks: Bite (1d10 + level drain)
Saving Throw: 9, 8, or 6
Special: +1 or better magic weapon to hit, charm
gaze, gaseous form, killed only in coffin, level
drain, regenerate (3hp/round), shapeshift, summon rats or wolves
Move: 12/18 (flying)
Alignment: Chaos
Challenge Level/XP: 7 HD (10/1,400), 8 HD
(11/1,700), 9 HD (12/2,000)

So you are spot on and I am in the wrong with my old copy of rules! I think Bats are more thematic, but rats work.

On another note, the S&W Rulebook Kickstarter is ongoing, and there is discussion of moving to another license. Are there any changes going to be implemented with the ruleset when S&W moves from OGL to the new license?

Second, very minor correction. Helm of Reading Magic and Languages states: "The wearer of the helm caHn read all languages, including magical script. Usable by: All Classes."

Recommend spelling correction of "caHn" to "can."

As I find these typos, I'll post here. If that is ok.

V/R
TheMetal1

bayne7400
April 10th, 2023, 12:09
Ok thanks. Updating for his KS is not on my radar right now but I'll keep you posted.

bayne7400
April 11th, 2023, 16:33
Metal is this a theme issue again?

TheMetal1
April 11th, 2023, 18:57
Bayne,

More than likely it is. (Assuming a theme issue is how it displays or what I'm selecting for the ruleset). Thank you for looking into it. I went ahead and fixed it on my end as that is the likely source!

As a side note, I asked over at the Swords & Wizardry Complete Revised Rulebook Kickstarter comments section about the OGL and the rats/bats stuff for the vampire. Here is the reply I got from Mythmere:

For the time being, given that the OGL isn't revoked, the Fantasy Grounds ruleset will stay OGL. If the OGL is revoked, we'll shift that over. Good catch on the rats/bats. The original rules allow both, and we'll put that in.

I didn't realize the OG rules had both, interesting stuff to learn the history of game.

bayne7400
April 11th, 2023, 19:03
Yeah that's funny. If the OGL gets revoked it would really suck for both this and OSE ( a lot of work)but I think we are in the clear for now.

TheMetal1
April 13th, 2023, 20:33
Well looks like Rappan Athuk for 5e was released on 11 April. You can find it on the Steam Page! Pretty cool, but still think it needs a proper S&W release! LOL!

bayne7400
April 13th, 2023, 21:16
Well looks like Rappan Athuk for 5e was released on 11 April. You can find it on the Steam Page! Pretty cool, but still think it needs a proper S&W release! LOL!

You could probably buy and save a ton of work. I bet story entries are mostly the same and maps?

TheMetal1
April 13th, 2023, 21:48
Yup. just getting ready to pick it up. The S&W version is from like 2012, it's Black and White, and clocks in at 497 pages, while the 5e version is full color, adds new content (it appears to be some more introductory stuff) and has 662 pages. That is about 165 less pages in S&W Version.

Right now, I'm sticking to the S&W version but updating most maps their full color version. Primarily because I like using the FX tool to add water effects and color.

As a side not can you run to FGU version at the same time on your desktop? IIRC you could with classic, but haven't tried with Unity. It would make Copy/Past of stuff a heck of a lot easier. As when I'm C/P from a PDF, every line has to be adjusted.

bayne7400
April 13th, 2023, 21:49
Yes should be able to run one in lan mode NP.

TheMetal1
September 16th, 2023, 17:33
bayne7400,

I hope you are well. Started up a small S&W Complete game using Legacy of the Black Lagoon. Did my first session a few days ago. I had a couple of questions.

1. Initiative. Is there any way to roll a group initiative for PCs and NPCS as described in the rules that is automated? There is an initiative for each NPC, but this defeats the simplicity of the single initiative roll. PCs have the same issue.

2. Hit Points change. I ran a couple of NPCs as friendly with the PCs. FG automatically rolls hit points based off the hit die in NPC sheet when I drop them into the combat tracker. I figured out that I can set the NPCs hit points before hand. However, if I want to change the hit points, it doesn't allow me to. I'm curious as to why? The work around it available but time consuming. As I first removing the NPC from the combat tracker, setting hit points in the NPC sheet and then drop them back in.

bayne7400
September 16th, 2023, 17:42
You can set NPCs to a custom HP by using encounter records. It will override the roller. (if you indicate a set HP value.) Otherwise open the NPC record and adjust the current and max hp fields.

For NPC initiatives. You only have to roll it one time. Because it is group initiative it changes them all at once. I do not think that is too big of an impediment as it is only a single button click to roll ALL NPC inits.

TheMetal1
September 26th, 2023, 15:46
Bayne7400,

This might be a house of healing question, but I figure I'll ask here first. I'm continuing work on Rappan Athuk, finishing up Level 1B: The Abandoned Bastion. The entries, encounters, parcels, NPCs, Quests, items, tables, and images are complete. I had the maps done, with nearly all the links and experimented with the Players Map to add in png items like shelves, troll beds, fireplaces, and effects, like myst. The walls, doors, secret, etc. were done.

However, I left my computer on and came back the next day and the image for both the GM and the Players were there, the maps completely disappeared. No idea where to find them. The GM map only has pins no map, the Players map has all the effects, graphics and pins, but no map. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

bayne7400
September 26th, 2023, 15:57
Yeah definitely go ask that in house of healing and include a screenshot. That is very odd.

TheMetal1
October 3rd, 2023, 15:10
Bayne7400,

As I've been playing, I decided to house rule Monster Reactions from Basic D&D (Moldvay version) and created a table for it. However, I also have been going over the new Swords & Wizardry Revised Complete book and noticed that in the Combat section under Surprise, that it states:

Monsters do not always leap to the attack. Unless they are on the alert for intruders, the Referee may roll 2d6 to determine whether the monsters attack if they surprise the adventurers. On a roll of 2–6, the monsters are hostile and attack; on a roll of 7–9, the monsters withhold judgment and wait to see if the adventurers are hostile; on a roll of 10–12, the monsters have a positive initial reaction to seeing the adventurers and might even be convinced to offer some help — if they are well paid, of course!

This same quote is also found in the Reference for the Swords & Wizardry - Player Book in Fantasy Grounds. I have not found a table for it, is this something you could add in a future update? I think it is a helpful rule and other might find it useful as well. In the interim, I'll create my own table for it. The only difference between this table and the Moldvay is a 2 is an immediate attack, 3-5 is hostile, 6-8 is uncertain/confused, 9-11 No attack, leaves or considers offers, 12 Enthusiastic friendship. There are pros/cons to both tables.

Nevertheless, you may have a table built for already and I just could not find it. Thanks in advanced!

bayne7400
October 3rd, 2023, 15:12
Yeah that needs to have a rollable table. Definitely am oversight. I'll try and get it updated