PDA

View Full Version : FG2, first game:

Xorn
October 14th, 2007, 06:02
My gaming group got in their first game with FG2 tonight. What a blast! We got more done in 3 hours than we normally do with a 4 hour game previously! I've been nudging them through The Sunless Citadel slowly, but they got a lot done tonight!

They've got a dwarf fighter with a hero complex, an arrogant (and usually right) elf sorcerer, a dwarf druid (leading the quest into the ruins), and dual-wielding human ranger/woodsman. At one point they were fighting 6 dire rats and a size-advanced mamma rat, and the turn was so fluid! (Plus the sorcerer ended up with 5 kills, and never cast a spell. :D )

LOVE the combat log, LOVE the battle map, and LOVE the dice rolling. Even the sorcerer (a heavy RPer, barely knows the rules of D&D) had no trouble understanding how to set up his hotkeys. First time he decided to fire is longbow into a melee he asked how to make the rolls.

"Drag the first attack bonus for your bow to a hotkey. Now drag your damage entry next to it." I then typed "/die -4 Shoot Into Melee" and told him to drag the number to another hotkey.

"Okay, click the shoot into melee, then click the attack roll."

First try he was rolling like a pro.

One thing they particularly liked: I made all the tokens on a 128 pixel scale (128 pixels per 5 ft square). Since I actually make my maps at a 32 pixel scale, when the map is zoomed 4x, the tokens are still razor sharp images. Love it. What a fantastic program.

Since I learned out to make adventures into modules on Thursday, even my planning has gotten a lot simpler! I love being able to just put all the Story, Maps/Images, Personalities, Items, and tokens into a module, then just toggling what I want to show!

(Note: If you want to do like I did and use large scale tokens, keep a copy of all the character tokens in the main campaign box.) Drag the portraits to the combat tracker, then place the full size token over the one it pre-generates. Now they will have the right size token. After that just adjust the default token scale so that 128 pixels fits into one square on your grid, and now your 128 scale tokens will all fit perfectly. :)

I love it because of how crisp the tokens are when zoomed in.

GoOrange
October 15th, 2007, 13:46
(Note: If you want to do like I did and use large scale tokens, keep a copy of all the character tokens in the main campaign box.) Drag the portraits to the combat tracker, then place the full size token over the one it pre-generates. Now they will have the right size token. After that just adjust the default token scale so that 128 pixels fits into one square on your grid, and now your 128 scale tokens will all fit perfectly. :)

I love it because of how crisp the tokens are when zoomed in.

Cool idea, I never thought of that. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Xorn
November 5th, 2007, 17:35
So our game is now a couple sessions in, and the last game saw an amazingly fun combat. Through some poor rolls and a dwarf fighter that loves to give out battlecries before kicking in the doors, one of the goblins managed run flee and alert half the goblins in The Sunless Citadel. The end result was a combat that looked like this:

There is no way I could have run that fight on a regular tabletop as I did in FG2. As a matter of fact, it was actually really, really easy. Just want to repeat how ***-kicking this program is. :)

Griogre
November 5th, 2007, 17:41
Looks like a fun fight. You should post that screen in the Gallery.

frogman316
November 5th, 2007, 17:43
What resolution are you running that at? Just wondering, as I sometimes find I don't have room for everything I need, but that is in FG1. I was thinking of bumping up my desktop to 1600x1200 to accomidate. But you seem to have everything in place, thought I would ask.

Sorontar
November 5th, 2007, 17:56
So our game is now a couple sessions in, and the last game saw an amazingly fun combat. Through some poor rolls and a dwarf fighter that loves to give out battlecries before kicking in the doors, one of the goblins managed run flee and alert half the goblins in The Sunless Citadel. The end result was a combat that looked like this:

There is no way I could have run that fight on a regular tabletop as I did in FG2. As a matter of fact, it was actually really, really easy. Just want to repeat how ***-kicking this program is. :)

I ran TSC for a group of 5 female gamers in my PnP and had something similar happen as they had a rather loud argument about what to do with some treasure. Nothing was said to say they were discussing it out of character so the first thing they knew the barbarian had 2 javelins in his back and they had to fight their way out of a room the goblins had decided to lay seige to :)

Griogre
November 5th, 2007, 17:59
The large screen was in 1600x1200. As a DM the highest resolution you can read, is best if you have one monitor. Two monitors is a wonderful thing for running an FG game. I have two monitors at 1280x1024.

Sorontar
November 5th, 2007, 18:41
The large screen was in 1600x1200. As a DM the highest resolution you can read, is best if you have one monitor. Two monitors is a wonderful thing for running an FG game. I have two monitors at 1280x1024.

Three screens is nice as well, my PC went pop so I am back to one screen whilst it is fixed. I miss my other two screens

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=180&d=1188517801

frogman316
November 5th, 2007, 19:10
So how do you guys get screenshots anyway? :confused:

Xorn
November 5th, 2007, 19:29
Three screens is nice as well, my PC went pop so I am back to one scree whilst it is fixed. I miss my ohter two screens

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=180&d=1188517801

LOL holy cow, Sorontar! That's pretty impressive.

I took my screenshot by pushing Shift+PrintScreen, then pasting it to an image editor.

Griogre
November 5th, 2007, 20:15
LOL, very impressive Sorontar. There is also a fine free graiphical editor called IrfanView which takes screens as well as lots of other things.

Hears a shot of my smaller two screen setup:

Xorn
January 21st, 2008, 21:56
So... still going strong--Sunless Citadel has been conquered, and my adventurers set off for the Forge of Fury next--little did they know that the map they found in the citadel would lead then north-by-north-railroad, and right into my next plot hook!

Was pretty interesting--my last session--not one attack roll was made. They came upon a nearly dead caravan driver that had escaped a kobold siege of a mining town, and the group split up, with the hack-n-slashers heading north to the besieged town to scout, while the finger-wrigglers headed east to the town the merchant was fleeing to so they could get help from the duke.

The bard and sorcerer found themselves neck-deep in a political power-play all centered around the fate of this mining town. Now a human army marches cross country to raze the site to the ground and rebuild, despite the civilians captive inside. The party is now in a race to stop/slow the army, while trying to sever the leadership of the kobolds before the humans unleash their war engines.

I'm so excited.

Xorn
January 26th, 2008, 22:55
Next session down, I started a small section on my web space to chronicle the game--though currently it's just the two most recent chat logs. I'll start expanding on it soon, and games going forth will have several screenshots to really show off FG2.

https://www.sacred-cow.net/fg2