PDA

View Full Version : Big Portraits

Zarestia
May 19th, 2022, 14:23
If you want support for a ruleset, just DM me or write a post below.

Forge: Link (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/647/view)

This extension modifies the top of the character sheet to show a bigger portrait. Thus the character sheet needs to be a bit larger.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/5c96dda51d74524446ad85957488b5d0.png

The portrait size in the chat is also bigger as is the size the top left portrait when a player selected their character.

--------------
General Tip (independent of this extension and not needed)

For the best possible quality of tokens on a map, do the following (once per character in combat tracker - needs to be redone if character is readded into combat tracker)
1. Open the Assets
2. Navigate to the portrait
3. Drag the portrait onto the token field of the character on the combat tracker.

See this image for a clarification:
https://i.imgur.com/CFpv5bW.png

MeAndUnique
May 19th, 2022, 20:33
Great idea, thanks for sharing!

Also, fwiw, if you want the better token quality to persist between CT removals and additions you can also drag directly to the token field on the character sheet.

Zarestia
May 19th, 2022, 21:45
Great idea, thanks for sharing!

Also, fwiw, if you want the better token quality to persist between CT removals and additions you can also drag directly to the token field on the character sheet.

Oh yeah, true. I've set the token to invisible for my own campaign so that didn't occur to me :D

I've created a repo for this extension. You can find the extension code on my GitHub page (see link in signature).

vaughnlannister
June 4th, 2022, 10:52
Hey,
Cool extension :)
Any plans for an option, for the bigger portrait to be only visible on the main page?

Zarestia
June 4th, 2022, 14:50
Hey,
Cool extension :)
Any plans for an option, for the bigger portrait to be only visible on the main page?

Thanks. That is not really possible because the portrait is not part of the main page.
From a code perspective, everyhting above "senses" in the screenshot in the first post is it's own page, Main, Skills, etc. are just subpages which are below the portrait window.

I hope that makes sense. :)

vaughnlannister
June 6th, 2022, 09:15
Ok gotcha :)
Thanks for explaining.

Bonkon
June 8th, 2022, 09:07
Good Day Zarestia :)
I just used this with my group tonight and they all loved it. I did note one thing, when a smaller portrait is placed on the sheet you can still see portions of the white background and some of the "Click to add" behind them. Is there a way to just leave the portrait section blank, or do I need to figure out a way to increase the size of the portrait? :)

Zarestia
June 8th, 2022, 21:51
I just used this with my group tonight and they all loved it. I did note one thing, when a smaller portrait is placed on the sheet you can still see portions of the white background and some of the "Click to add" behind them. Is there a way to just leave the portrait section blank, or do I need to figure out a way to increase the size of the portrait? :)

Thanks.
Smaller portraits scale just fine for me. Portraits need to be a square so take a look at your image aspect ratio.

Bonkon
June 9th, 2022, 03:46
Thanks for the quick response! :)
It was odd, if I used the jpg I had saved in my portraits folder (which actually showed the words sticking out), I would see the words sticking out on the character sheet. I downloaded the same jpg from the internet and used that one and it was fine. :)

shoebill
June 17th, 2022, 17:55
Hi Zarestia,
Thanks for creating this, I really enjoy how the character sheet looks now.
Can you make your extension compatible with 5E - Death Indicators (Extended) FGU? When both extensions are used, the Name field overlaps the big portrait, probably because the Death Token occupies some space at the end of that same row.

Here is the link for the Death Indicators extension: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/8/view

Zarestia
June 18th, 2022, 18:52
Hi Zarestia,
Thanks for creating this, I really enjoy how the character sheet looks now.
Can you make your extension compatible with 5E - Death Indicators (Extended) FGU? When both extensions are used, the Name field overlaps the big portrait, probably because the Death Token occupies some space at the end of that same row.

Here is the link for the Death Indicators extension: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/8/view

Nice to hear shoebill and thanks for the information. I've taken a look at the Death Indicators extension and saw a multitude of extension compatibility checks and hard overrides for the name & token fields.
I'll get into contact with the author.

Gezzer
July 1st, 2022, 08:31
Found a problem with Polymorphism Extension as well. Same issue with some of the fields overlapping. Sent author a message on the issue.

Edited to add:

Also found same problem with the Mad Nomad's Player Journal 2.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/628/view

If I can make a suggestion. How about giving us an option in the settings where we can turn off big portraits on the character sheet but still have it enabled in chat and the top left until you get a chance to deep dive in to what's causing the issue.

Zarestia
July 1st, 2022, 14:28
..- until you get a chance to deep dive in to what's causing the issue.

Authors of paid extensions are free to implement solutions in their not to me visible code or send me compatibility code.
Because the portrait on the charsheet is the main point of this extension I will not create an option to turn it off.

The DI extension will get a compatibility patch after the ruleset updates in 2-3 weeks.

Gezzer
July 2nd, 2022, 00:46
Authors of paid extensions are free to implement solutions in their not to me visible code or send me compatibility code.
Because the portrait on the charsheet is the main point of this extension I will not create an option to turn it off.

The DI extension will get a compatibility patch after the ruleset updates in 2-3 weeks.

Okay... it's your product so I guess you can do as you like. Shame really guess I won't be using it then..

damned
July 2nd, 2022, 03:30
Okay... it's your product so I guess you can do as you like. Shame really guess I won't be using it then..

It is not practical to code all extensions so they work with all other extensions. There are too many variables and too little reward for the effort.

MeAndUnique
July 2nd, 2022, 03:45

At the end of the day when two extensions are in conflict, if one developer is preventing the other one from looking at the code without paying, it is unreasonable to expect the second developer to be responsible for taking point on any conflict resolution. If the first developer wants to collaborate, awesome, that is one of the best parts of the Fantasy Grounds community. If they don't then unfortunately is comes down to the user deciding which extension adds more value to their game. Though painting the second developer as the bad guy in that case is perhaps somewhat unfair.

Gezzer
July 2nd, 2022, 03:59
I get that. Please don't state the obvious. It only makes you both look condescending. As for painting the developer as a villain, I did no such thing! They had already responded to another post stating they would look into similar issues, and I simply was informing them that there were issues with other add-ons. I suggested that as a stop gap measure they could disable the portion that created the large portrait on the character sheet and IMHO got a pretty rude response back. So I responded in kind. Please crawl back under your respective rocks, I have no intention to continue this, and suggest you do the same.

Zarestia
July 2nd, 2022, 18:55
I get that. Please don't state the obvious. It only makes you both look condescending. As for painting the developer as a villain, I did no such thing! They had already responded to another post stating they would look into similar issues, and I simply was informing them that there were issues with other add-ons. I suggested that as a stop gap measure they could disable the portion that created the large portrait on the character sheet and IMHO got a pretty rude response back. So I responded in kind. Please crawl back under your respective rocks, I have no intention to continue this, and suggest you do the same.

I wasn't trying to be rude and solely stated that I won't literally double the codebase just to be able to deactivate 80% of the extension.
I have no monetary interest in my work, I do it first and foremost for my own campaigns and out of passion, no one is obliged to use it.

I don't see why the two mentioned extensions should have a problem with this extension from the youtube videos they provide. I can maybe guess one possibility but wihtout access to the code I can't do anythng about it.

If you still want the slightly bigger chat and topleft portrait, you can try the extension attached.

SilentRuin
July 2nd, 2022, 19:14
TEST will force a redesign of the character sheet for anyone using that area. Death Indicators has been rewritten and will no longer conflict in TEST. Polymorphism is a specialized window that triggers off another sheet - that has also been rewritten due to TEST changes. Anything I put out is visible in the code - paid of free - and I tend to put everything based on a common anchor (contentanchor, rightanchor, etc.) relative so that we can all play nice. Still, conflicts happen and sometimes can't be avoided even with generic safe coding.

Zarestia
July 13th, 2022, 00:54
v1.1 is live in Forge!

Nearly a complete rewrite of the extension to compensate for the July ruleset updates.
I have tested with the up to date Death Indicators extension from SilenRuin and everyhting looks fine. Huge thanks to them.

If you find any issues please report in this thread with as much information as you can. Thanks.

DunMas
September 12th, 2022, 19:15
Hello! Loved your extension when playing 5e. Would it be too much trouble for it to be made compatible with Pathfinder 2e as well?

Zarestia
September 12th, 2022, 20:21
Hello! Loved your extension when playing 5e. Would it be too much trouble for it to be made compatible with Pathfinder 2e as well?

I can take a look this month. Got some other things to fix first though. I'll post when it's done.

Zarestia
September 23rd, 2022, 14:13

For whatever reason I thought you wrote 2e as in D&D 2e and I looked through that :D
At least I can say now, that D&D 2e differs in its approach to the charsheet header from CoreRPG and I'd like to not fiddle in there with an extension. If celestian ever decides to go the CoreRPG approach I'll gladly support the ruleset.

PF2e also differs in its approach but in a more manageable way in which I should be able to include my stuff relatively okay.

Zarestia
September 23rd, 2022, 16:17
v1.2 Support for PFRPG2
(https://github.com/ZarestiaDev/Big-Portraits/releases/tag/v1.2)
Added

Extension icon (contributed by SirMotte, thanks!)
Support for PFRPG2 ruleset

I have tested some characters in PFRPG2 and haven't encountered any issues. As I have not played this ruleset extensively in the past, there could still be some, unknown by me, interactions.
Please report any issues you may get.

DunMas
September 23rd, 2022, 20:27
I have tested some characters in PFRPG2 and haven't encountered any issues. As I have not played this ruleset extensively in the past, there could still be some, unknown by me, interactions.
Please report any issues you may get.

Cheers! I'll be sure to report anything I see

Zarestia
November 4th, 2022, 03:19
v1.3 Support for CoC7E (https://github.com/ZarestiaDev/Big-Portraits/releases/tag/v1.3)

Added

Support for CoC7e ruleset

I don't know the ruleset that well and had to rewrite some minor stuff. If you get any errors or something doesn't work, please let me know.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/63c86a9399826a27a01db80bab34e54e.png

Zarestia
November 25th, 2022, 13:39
v1.4 Ruleset updates (https://github.com/ZarestiaDev/Big-Portraits/releases/tag/v1.4)

Changed

2022-11 Ruleset updates

Zarestia
February 23rd, 2023, 23:13
v1.5 Feb-2023 ruleset update (https://github.com/ZarestiaDev/Big-Portraits/releases/tag/v1.5)

Changed

Migrated getDatabaseNode() to DB functions

Zarestia
February 25th, 2023, 13:42
v1.5-hotfix1 Default desktop portrait size (https://github.com/ZarestiaDev/Big-Portraits/releases/tag/v1.5-hotfix1)

SW implemented new 100px*100px desktop portrait size. There's no need to overwrite this anymore :)

Changed

Use new default desktop portrait size

Milke
February 25th, 2023, 22:59
This looks cool. Any way to get it for PF2e?

Zarestia
February 25th, 2023, 23:06
This looks cool. Any way to get it for PF2e?

If you mean Pathfinder2e, that's already supported (PFRPG2 is the ruleset name in the ruleset code).

Forge has a screenshot for PF2e.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/62aa95cb57330f993bc99546362a41b8.jpeg

Milke
February 25th, 2023, 23:31
Oh. I didn't see it listed. Derp.
Wow. This is too cool! I didn't even have to do anything. I just logged in and the portraits on the sheets were already big.

Zarestia
February 26th, 2023, 19:17
Hmmm... I just saw a new bug with having now too big portraits in the character list.

I'll look to fix this asap.

Xerophilex
May 18th, 2023, 10:32
Love this extension and use it for my 5e games. Would it be possible for it to be compatible with the FFG Star Wars ruleset and its associated Star Wars theme?

Renrenbonbon
May 28th, 2023, 17:04
Hello, great work first of all. I am having an error while playing with CoC7E. It goes like this:

This I get twice in a row whenever I open a character sheet or make a new one:

Script execution error: [string "C:charsheet_overview:maxhp"]:19: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

then I get this one :

Handler error: [string "C:charsheet_overview:maxhp"]:19: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected,got nil).

I do not know if you are still working on this. I am running only a theme and this extention.

Zarestia
June 2nd, 2023, 18:53
Hello, great work first of all. I am having an error while playing with CoC7E. It goes like this:

Script execution error: [string "C:charsheet_overview:maxhp"]:19: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

then I get this one :

Handler error: [string "C:charsheet_overview:maxhp"]:19: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected,got nil).

I do not know if you are still working on this. I am running only a theme and this extention.

Sorry for the late reply, I was traveling the country.
The ruleset was updated, I'll have to take a look.

Renrenbonbon
June 3rd, 2023, 06:47
Perfect. Thank you sincerely for your efforts.

Zarestia
July 13th, 2023, 15:41

then I get this one :

I'm getting this error without "Big Portraits" loaded when creating a new character as well. Can you check whether you get the error with just the ruleset?
If so, please post here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?69887-Official-Call-of-Cthulhu-7th-Edition-Bug-Report-Thead/page21

StickClip
July 16th, 2023, 05:44
Hi,
Really enjoy this extension for my games.

So I'm getting this same error playing Call of Cthulhu with the Big Portraits extension. Without the extension, I do not get the error. It happens when I create a new character. I disabled all my extensions, and readded them one-by-one, until adding Big Portraits, and then the error reoccurred consistently for me at least.

geewaagh
July 20th, 2023, 00:07
Any chance on getting this to work with AD&D Classic 2e? I used this in 5e and CoC and kinda addicted. Going to be playing AD&D and would love to see this work with it.

Zarestia
August 31st, 2023, 19:26
I'm really short on time sadly (moved in country, new job etc.).

For now, only 5e was patched for the recent UI updates.

Weeg
September 15th, 2023, 19:35
This extension does not seem to be working in 5e any longer either. The scaling is all wonky.

Agamon
September 16th, 2023, 19:32
This extension does not seem to be working in 5e any longer either. The scaling is all wonky.

Might be a problem with the themes, because it works fine on default...

Agamon
September 18th, 2023, 17:00
I'm told this is an extension issue. It's working fine on default theme, but portraits are small and square in the Winter theme I'm using.

GKEnialb
September 22nd, 2023, 20:58
It likely is a conflict between the theme and this extension and can only be solved by modifying the theme (unless changing the load order of Big Portraits to something higher than the theme would solve it). If your theme has its own portrait.png and portrait_mask.png, it's going to give you the behavior you're seeing. If you're comfortable with extensions, you can unzip your theme, replace those two files (found in graphics/portraits) with images of 148x148 pixels (I've attached the ones from Big Portraits), and zip it back up and you'll be all set. At least that's what I did to fix the same issue with the theme I use (Baron) - there may be other ways of resolving it.

anstett
September 23rd, 2023, 14:11
With animated portraits coming in the next update will be nice to see this extension working with those.

Agamon
September 27th, 2023, 16:02
I brought it up in the house of healing, because it logically made sense to me that it was likely a theme issue (I'm using FG's Winter theme), but there I just get a flat, "This is an extension problem".

GKEnialb
September 29th, 2023, 17:02
Oh, so it's a purchased theme. Probably can't change that, then. The good news is that I changed the load order of Big Portraits to 2550 and tried out a couple of themes and it all seems to work fine. Hopefully Zarestia can try that out and update the theme officially, but until then, you can just change

<loadorder>50</loadorder>

to

<loadorder>2550</loadorder>

in extension.xml of Big Portraits and you should be able to use it with your theme. If you're not comfortable changing extensions, let me know and I help (just don't want to post a change to somebody else's extension).

Zarestia
September 30th, 2023, 09:31
Oh, so it's a purchased theme. Probably can't change that, then. The good news is that I changed the load order of Big Portraits to 2550 and tried out a couple of themes and it all seems to work fine. Hopefully Zarestia can try that out and update the theme officially, but until then, you can just change

<loadorder>50</loadorder>

to

<loadorder>2550</loadorder>

in extension.xml of Big Portraits and you should be able to use it with your theme. If you're not comfortable changing extensions, let me know and I help (just don't want to post a change to somebody else's extension).

Thanks for the reply and help. :)
I already changed that two days ago but forgot to upload to the Forge ...

@the others: Please try again after updating.

GKEnialb
September 30th, 2023, 15:27
Awesome. My players love this extension!

KlatuB
November 27th, 2023, 02:14
I love the bigger portrait the extension gives, but the recent FG update (19, I believe) messes with the PF2e character sheet, any chance of getting an update.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59367&stc=1&d=1701049502

Redemption77
December 14th, 2023, 18:00
The most recent core update made it where the Big Portraits wont allow the characters to be loaded period. HOpefully it gets updated

DunMas
January 4th, 2024, 02:23
giving a bump because I would love to be able to use this again. :)

Egheal
January 4th, 2024, 12:32
Indeed, this extension is a must, the portraits are waaaay too small on the character sheets without it.

Romanus
January 5th, 2024, 22:06
My players are big fans of this extension. They keep asking if/when it will come back. Hoping for an update.

Zarestia
January 6th, 2024, 13:58
I'm sorry for the delays and really happy that this extension is getting so much love. I'll post an updated version later today/tomorrow.

Zarestia
January 6th, 2024, 15:10
A fix for 5e was just uploaded to the Forge. I'll fix the PF2e implementation probably tomorrow.

Egheal
January 7th, 2024, 14:33
Thanks Zarestia!
It is working nicely!
I see a problem though: the portraits on the upper left corner are slightly on top of each other (Due to the bigger size of the portraits compared to the round version of vanilla FGU).

Zarestia
January 7th, 2024, 14:47
Thanks Zarestia!
It is working nicely!
I see a problem though: the portraits on the upper left corner are slightly on top of each other (Due to the bigger size of the portraits compared to the round version of vanilla FGU).

Hmm, that shouldn't be. I'll take a look again, thanks for the report.

Egheal
January 7th, 2024, 15:58
If it can help you, I see a slight zoom effect applied to the portraits in the upper left corner vs the intended portraits.
Here on a CoC campaign, but it is the same in D&D5.59673

Zarestia
January 7th, 2024, 20:51
5e and PFRPG2 should now work as per my testing. v1.7 is now live via Forge.
For CoC7e I'll have to contact the devs to get access to the newest version.

Egheal
January 8th, 2024, 18:29
Thanks a lot Zarestia. I hope that CoC7e devs will grant you access. Your extension need to be generalized to all rulesets by SmiteWorks (at least giving the choice between the two options).

DunMas
January 8th, 2024, 19:12
PF2e is working great. Many thanks to you

Agamon
January 10th, 2024, 20:13
Thanks for the update, love this extention!

q00t
January 17th, 2024, 23:10
Also my groups thanks for this extension, it went down really well ; we've been using it with CoC7e, so we've got our fingers crossed that they give you access too.

Zarestia
January 19th, 2024, 14:54
Pushed a fix for CoC7e.
Please test it as I had to work with my old version and screenshots provided by you guys but I think it should be good.

Egheal
January 20th, 2024, 07:13
Yes, it works perfectly, big thanks to you Zarestia!!!
look at this beauty: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aq94oZ32i0Fzj4ZXEEkX67SDMAEXow?e=H9Qgfv
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aq94oZ32i0Fzj4ZY9FFG07PmL-zdZw?e=henu1n
(sorry, it seems that I can't insert images properly).

Egheal
January 20th, 2024, 08:10
By the way, I wouldn't mind buying those gems as per ruleset basis. It would be great to see this on more rulesets but you need to be rewarded for such a nice work.

q00t
January 20th, 2024, 13:40
Can also confirm, its working, thanks! As an aside, I like to use the FG Wood theme, but the CoC character sheets gets chopped ever so slightly on the right because of the tabs - using your big portraits also fixes that theme issue which is nice!

fogcutter
April 1st, 2024, 21:13
Howdy,

Love this extension! I'm having an issue however with the Inspiration bubbles. When I use the Big Portraits extension I can ADD inspiration but I can't un-click the bubble once a player has used their inspiration dice. Note: I'm using the option to have TWO inspiration bubbles instead of the standard which is one.