PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Way to tranfer pcs from one campaign to another?

philth
October 8th, 2007, 02:21
Just like it says, I made like 8 pregens for an upcoming game, but this weekend I wrote up a new adventure. How can I get the pregens I already created in one campaign copied over for use in another with out physically having to retype them all?

Keeping my fingers crossed for this one

kalmarjan
October 8th, 2007, 03:59
IIRC,

Open up the db.xml file in the campaign you would like to move your characters from.

Highlight all the text starting from the <charsheet> tag and ending with the </charsheet> tag.

Open up the new campaign's db.xml file, and paste in the copied text after the <root version="2.1"> tag.

Double check that you do not have an extra <charsheet> or </charsheet> tag. (You should only have one of each.)

Save the new db.xml file, and you can now load up FGII and see your characters there.

Any questions, PM me.

Sandeman

Dachannien
October 8th, 2007, 05:40
If the pregens you're using have been opened on client machines in the other campaign before, you'll also need to clear their ownership from within the program. Just a possible minor detail :)

Griogre
October 8th, 2007, 07:17
Philth, you are going to be transfering these guys forever from campaign to campaign if you keep building different adventures the way you seem to be.

Try putting the pregens in a base campaign that only exists to hold the pregen and other PCs. Then make adventure modules, export them and activate and use them bring the adventures to the PC's so to speak instead of putting the pregens in each adventure.

philth
October 8th, 2007, 20:32
Philth, you are going to be transfering these guys forever from campaign to campaign if you keep building different adventures the way you seem to be.

Try putting the pregens in a base campaign that only exists to hold the pregen and other PCs. Then make adventure modules, export them and activate and use them bring the adventures to the PC's so to speak instead of putting the pregens in each adventure.

And now for my n00bness to shine.....how do I make adventure modules and export them into my campaign? Seems like that would be the correct way of doing things. I appreciate the help 'cause I couldn't find the info in the documentation.

Griogre
October 8th, 2007, 21:12
Any campaign can also become an adventure module like the modules you buy (or steal ideas from) for a face to face game.

To create a test adventure module, start a new campaign then click on the storybook and click the new tab to pop open a new entry and type Adventure Campaign in the title and then type "stuff" in the body and then close the entry and storybook.

Click on the modules (book) button in the top right, and double click on the green monster book to open (activate) the d20 Monsters book. Right click and close the module ativation pop up.

Click on Personalities to open the personalities list. Then click on the Library and d20 monsters to open the monster list. Drag and drop the first monster on the list, Aboleth, onto the personalities list. You should now see Abolith on the list. Close the library pop up.

Click on the Token box and I think the General bag (I reorganized my tokens so I'm not sure that is right) and find the "A" token that came with FG.

Click on Abolith on the Personality list to pop the monster's detail. Drag and drop the "A" token onto the tan circle in the top left corner next to the darker square. If you did it right, the "A" will be appear in the circle.

Right click and close the Aboleth, Token Box and Personality list.

Underneath the chat window in the type entry textbox type: /export

This should pop up the Module export window. In Name type Test Module, then press tab and in File name type TestMod the press Tab and in author type your name. Skip the next entries for this example.

In the middle of the window you will see Story, Images & Maps, Personalities and Items. Just click on them all with the mouse so they are all checked when you do so the "H" entry will all be checked by default which is what you normally want for an adventure module.

Right click in the middle area under Items and select Export. You should get a message in the chat window that says the module exported successfully. Close FG.

Start FG and pick a different campaign from the module one, creating a new one if necesary. Once it starts click the module button in the top right again and activate the Test Moduel by double clicking the space a blue or green book would be (this is the blank icon we didn't fill out when we exported) you should see the brown book open. Close the module activation window and click on personalities and the story book and you should see your Aboleth with its token and the Adventure Campaign entry.

philth
October 8th, 2007, 22:40
thanks mang...u rock

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 10:42
I'm also very new to FG2 and this seemed just what I needed but when I tried it my maps never came across as part of the new module. What did I do wrong?

I think I followed the instructions correctly. I ticked maps and images when exporting the module and the 'H' was also selected. The module was created ok and in my new campaign I could open the new module and the map titles where there but when I opened them the map window was blank. :cry:

Any idea's?

Griogre
November 7th, 2007, 17:25
Did you put some your map images into the module campaign's image folder? Modules do not export drawings you make with the built in pen. Did you get an error message when you exported saying there was no images to export? Or did you get a module exported successfully message?

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 17:54
The images were in the campaigns folder when I tried to export (they are still there after as well, I think?). The new module has no images in it's folder. If that's all I need to do I could copy them over?

I didn't get any error messages when doing the export.

Griogre
November 7th, 2007, 21:05
Hmm, are they large maps? If so only the top left is being shown and if there is nothing in that part of the map then it would be blank. If you hold down the middle mouse button can you pan to other parts of the map?

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 22:29
The maps are a reasonable size and wouldn't display into a corner.

IamGrays
November 8th, 2007, 17:38
I had posted another thread and it appears the answer is the same for both. See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7478 but in short the filename of the image was to long or contained special characters (I'm not sure which yet).

Anyway making the filename shorter and without special characters solved this problem and the images exported with the module. Perfect.

Griogre - thanks for trying to help on both threads it's appreciated.

Griogre
November 8th, 2007, 18:59
You're welcome and like I said on the other thread it almost certainly was the & which is a special "escape" character for xml.