PDA

View Full Version : Break any laws?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 1st, 2022, 18:17
I'm not very knowledgeable about laws and usage rights, but would I be breaking any laws by posting such a module for Call of Cthulhu 7E?

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2022, 18:26
Unless you have permission from the person or persons who own the copyright of the images, yes.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 1st, 2022, 21:52
Zaccheus, Images are royalty free and no mention is required.

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2022, 22:09
Then sounds like you are ok.

esmdev
May 1st, 2022, 23:01
Just to avoid future potential questions you might state the images are public domain or whatever even though you don't need too.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 2nd, 2022, 01:21
So, I think that then I would have to trust the selected filters while looking for the names, but then whether or not it is in fact I can't say for sure.

similarly
May 2nd, 2022, 10:18
So, I think that then I would have to trust the selected filters while looking for the names, but then whether or not it is in fact I can't say for sure.

My advice on images: if finding images through a search engine, don't trust the filters. Look at EACH website where you find images and make sure the WEBSITE says they are royalty free. There are some good and reliable free royalty-free image sites. Then, when making a module, make a list of images and where you found them, in case there are questions later.

damned
May 2nd, 2022, 13:43
Royalty Free does not mean Public Domain. Royalty Free can mean that once you have bought the image you can use it without paying royalties per usage or per viewer.

similarly
May 2nd, 2022, 16:43
Royalty Free does not mean Public Domain. Royalty Free can mean that once you have bought the image you can use it without paying royalties per usage or per viewer.

Which is why I mentioned "free". But yes, "public domain" images are a better search term, but still one has to be careful. I've seen some "public domain sites" that had some content I had doubt about.

Pexels is a good site.
Unsplash is no longer public domain, but their license ALMOST public domain.
https://unsplash.com/license

YAKO SOMEDAKY
May 5th, 2022, 02:35
Actually Damned I got confused with Royalty Free and Public Domain and thanks for the link Similarly.