PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is the place but....

thegameguy13
October 5th, 2007, 20:38
Hello everyone. I am not quite sure if this is the place to do this, but I did not see a specific forum for it. I decided that this would be the best place to post a simple introduction of myself. My tag is thegameguy13, which has been my tag since I created my first blizzard.net account way back in the days of StarCraft and Diablo. I guess 12 people beat me to the name, but hey, I still got a decent one.

I have been in the RPG arena off and on for several years, getting most of my player and DM experience from AD&D, though I did play a few other systems including Aeon, Talislanta, most of the White Wolf series, and my personal favorite Cthulu. Over the years I have gained and lost groups, run and played in many different campaigns, and even totured myself with the 3.5 system. For the last two years, I have been out of the gaming scene, sticking mostly with games such as NWN, and WoW.

Recently, a friend of mine from work told me about this little program called Fantasy Grounds, and how it allowed people from all over the world to get together in a table top setting. I was floored. I came home, downloaded the demo, and decided right then and there to buy it. That hurdle is over.

Now I am not quite sure what to do with it. I am getting a little more familiar with it, learning the interface - which is fairly user friendly I might add - while running a game for my friend from work. Since I have most of my evenings free, I have been toying with the idea of putting a little something together. The only downside to this is that I am not particularly fond of 3.5 D&D, and I lack the skills needed to create my own ruleset for another system. I have not given up trying however.

So that is a little bit about how I came here, and what I am doing here. On a more personal note, I am 30 years old, and married. We don't have kids, yet, but we do have a cat. I am a reliable player, and DM, though I currently work some shift work which can change with a phonecall. Most often, however, I am at work in the early morning, and have my evenings free. I am looking forward to possibly getting to know some of you in games, and truly hope to become an active member of this community. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Astinus
October 5th, 2007, 21:06
Hey and welcome. I'm quite new to this community as well, but I'm sure you'll find what I did: super helpful, super friendly people everywhere.

As for your AD&D experience, and struggles with 3.5, I'm in exactly the same boat. I grew up on AD&D and just don't dig what's happened to the game since. I was despairing because there's no AD&D ruleset for FG, but recently I stumbled across Castles and Crusades.

Not sure if you know C&C, but it's basically old school AD&D with the best of 3.5 thrown in (AC that counts up, no THACO primarily). And the good news is that a Fantasy Grounds C&C ruleset is due to be released very soon, by Digital Adventures.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know there are cool, old school DnD alternatives to 3.5 with rulesets on the way.

And it probably won't be long before someone comes along and sings the praises of the FG Savage Worlds ruleset. It seems to have some devoted followers here.

VgnFrnd
October 5th, 2007, 21:29
Welcome, TGG13! I also am fairly new around here, but I really dig Fantasy Grounds. I intend to use it as much as possible for playing and GMing d20 modern games as soon as DA releases that ruleset, but thus far I have been playing mostly Savage Worlds games with DA's ruleset. Savage Worlds seems to lend itself really well to virtual table tops like Fantasy Grounds, and there are some really creative and helpful Savage Worlds GMs here. I see notices for fantasy-based games several times a week on these forums, so I could be playing even more than I am now, but one fantasy game is enough for me. I tend to like sci fi better. Anyway, what I have done is simple to keep an eye on these forums (by using the "new posts" link at the top of these pages) and speaking up whenever something catches my fancy. Like Astinus, I've discovered that folks around here are really very helpful and fun to be around. I'm sure that in no time you'll find just the game you are looking to play in, or just the players that you would like to GM for!

Sgain
October 5th, 2007, 22:59
I agree with VgFrnd about SW, its far superior to 3.5 for both live gaming and VTT gaming. The DA version that I picked up is really well thought out and easy to use. The other advantage of SW is that they have recently released the Explorers Edition of their rules and they are very affordable when compared to the over priced 3.5 stuff out there (not to mention that they won't soon become 'obsolete').

There are lots of other SW GM's using FG and I've noticed that we are covering a pretty wide spread of the various time zones, so you should be able to drop in on a game and check it out without too much trouble.

Have fun!

richvalle
October 6th, 2007, 16:32
Welcome!

I hear you about the 3.5 rules. You could just wait for 4.0 to come out... :)

I have the Savage Worlds rule book and rule set. It does look very good and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

You can get a small sample of the rules for free here: https://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/SW%20Rev/TestDrive4.pdf

The $10 rule book. Note: this is JUST the rules, no campaign information. So no rules about what elves, dwarves, ect, get to start. https://www.amazon.com/Savage-Worlds-Explorers-S2P10010-Staff/dp/0979245567/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5812008-3921248?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191684549&sr=8-1

You can always try to jump into an SW one shot game and see if you like it. Or see if someone is running a C&C game that you could try.

Good luck!

rv

Griogre
October 6th, 2007, 20:52
Wecome to the boards, theGameGuy13. Don't feel you need to do ruleset to start playing. Toadwart's generic character sheet ruleset allows the use of most games. You can get it on this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6314).

Savage World is ok, I'm using if for a Pirates game. Kinda like the d6 games West End Games use to make or Vampire. If you do decide to run something in it I suggest you get DA Savage World Ruleset for 12 bucks.

If you want something more like AD&D I think you would like C&C more than Savage Worlds. Heck, BobTheBuilder runs an AD&D game.

Astinus
October 7th, 2007, 05:22
Thanks for the tip on the generic character sheet, Griogre. I'll use that until the CnC ruleset comes along.

Foen
October 7th, 2007, 08:49
Welcome here TGG13, hopefully you'll enjoy the community.

There is stacks of development work going on with FG, and you might want a quick scan at the Workshop sub-forum to get an idea. A Rolemaster project has recently been announced, GoOrange has been working on Star Wars Saga Edition (I think) as well as the Savage World ruleset already released.

Cheers

Stuart