PDA

View Full Version : Rule PDFs

Grimbold11
April 23rd, 2022, 18:56
I'm a long-time Rolemaster player and I'm going to give Fantasy Grounds a whirl. How do you all get copies of the rules to newer players? Are there PDFs for download/purchase somewhere that I can direct folks to?

Grim

GunnarGreybeard
April 23rd, 2022, 19:17
Outside of Fantasy Grounds they would need their own copies of the rule content (FG content is not accessible outside of FG, i.e. is not .pdf). If you, as GM, have the ruleset/content, they would have access to that content when they are actually connected to your campaign.

Grimbold11
April 23rd, 2022, 19:36
Being an old-school player, I have physical copies of the books but some of my new players don't. Are there .pdfs built into Fantasy Grounds that I've overlooked?

Sulimo
April 23rd, 2022, 19:40
The Modules are in Fantasy Grounds format, not pdfs.

If you want PDFs for Rolemaster Classic, try Drivethru RPG.

Rolemaster Classic Arms Law (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/88653/Rolemaster-Classic-Arms-Law?cPath=6493)
Rolemaster Classic Character Law (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/88652/Rolemaster-Classic-Character-Law?cPath=6493)
Rolemaster Classic Spell Law (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/88654/Rolemaster-Classic-Spell-Law?cPath=6493)
Rolemaster Classic Creatures and Treasures (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/88655/Rolemaster-Classic-Creatures--Treasures?cPath=6493)

NOTE: If you have the old RM1/2 books, RMC is largely the same with some tweaks here and there. So if you and your players are familiar with RM1/2, RMC in Fantasy Grounds will be easy to pick up.

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2022, 22:42
As @Sulimo and @GunnarGreybeard mention - all of the data is available within Fantasy Grounds. The players can access that data when they're connected to the GM - so the GM needs to own the content and have their FG campaign running.

To get an idea of what the content looks like in Fantasy Grounds, look through the screenshots of the various RMC products in the store here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=6&pub=-1&typ=-1&search=&sort=1

Grimbold11
April 24th, 2022, 01:04
I found it, thanks! There's a LOT of buttons to go through!

Dumb question number 2 - creating a character and buying a skill (spells, maneuvering in armor, etc) where a character can buy unlimited ranks. I keep getting a script execution error when I buy even a single rank. Is this a known bug?

GunnarGreybeard
April 24th, 2022, 01:06
I have the FG Rolemaster Classi Ruleset but it's been years since I loaded it (iirc, includes Character Law) and I'd be willing to load it up and let you connect to look around (if you don't already have it). I have an ultimate license so you would only need the FGU Demo to connect. Also, I would say, but not 100% sure, if Rolemaster Classic has a quickstarter rules pdf you could provide them that so they could learn the basics?

Sulimo
April 24th, 2022, 02:12
I found it, thanks! There's a LOT of buttons to go through!

Quickest way to get to the modules is to go to Modules on the right, then select one of the modules, and it should have a reference manual, that is basically the book, formatted for Fantasy Grounds.

https://i.imgur.com/h5LUVoGl.png (https://i.imgur.com/h5LUVoG.png)
If the module is not activated, you'll need to activate it first.

Dumb question number 2 - creating a character and buying a skill (spells, maneuvering in armor, etc) where a character can buy unlimited ranks. I keep getting a script execution error when I buy even a single rank. Is this a known bug?

I am not seeing any errors on a quick test, can you get the exact error message?

Script errors are 99% of the time caused by an extension, this includes themes.

Are you running any extensions? If so, turn them off and try again, then turn them on one at a time to figure out which one is causing the issue.

If you are not using an extension, then exact steps to recreate the issue would be helpful in figuring out what might be going on.

Grimbold11
April 24th, 2022, 17:23
Unfortunately I am still a bit stuck. I had purchased just the basic RM Classic rules and had the issue but purchasing and loading RMC1 made no difference. I deleted the character and made a fresh one who also has the same issue so I'd welcome any input!
Create character.
Generate stats.
Select Skills tab and click on Open Skills Development icon.
I place any number greater than 0 in the "New" column of any skill that I can buy unlimited ranks in (ie 1/*, 2/*, etc) and the log opens with an error. [ERROR] Script exection error: [string "scripts/rules_skills_frp.lua"]:82: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value.

If I buy ranks in any of these skills, the spent value of the development points does not change. I'm thinking maybe to uninstall and reinstall? I don't see any options that I should be changing to fix this.

Trenloe
April 24th, 2022, 17:28
I place any number greater than 0 in the "New" column of any skill that I can buy unlimited ranks in (ie 1/*, 2/*, etc) and the log opens with an error. [ERROR] Script exection error: [string "scripts/rules_skills_frp.lua"]:82: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value.

That's an error in the FRP extension. Disable that extension and see if you get the error (i.e. don't have any extensions running). Assuming you don't get the error with the FRP extension disabled, make sure you have the latest version of that extension - and if you still get the error, please report the issue in the FRP extension thread.

Grimbold11
April 24th, 2022, 20:35
How do I disable an extension? Checked the google and the options panel but neither was terribly useful.

superteddy57
April 24th, 2022, 20:45
From the dashboard, where you setup the session, there is a frame for extensions. Just uncheck the extension in question to have it not be enabled when you run the session.

Trenloe
April 24th, 2022, 21:24
How do I disable an extension? Checked the google and the options panel but neither was terribly useful.
See step 2 in this Wiki User Guide page: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996639879/Hosting+a+Game The screenshot shows where the extensions list is - it's showing blank in the screenshot, in your case there'll be a list of extensions.

Grimbold11
April 25th, 2022, 00:19
I know how irritating it can be to have a new user hit you with what are probably the same questions over and over. But thank you nonetheless for taking the time! I searched high and low until I saw Trenloe's message and disabled the extension. It works fine now! I am tipping my hat to you gentlemen - thank you!!

Grimbold11
April 25th, 2022, 01:02
Hopefully my final question! I have purchased the RMC base rule package and RMC1. The skill tree is now a bit of a mess with duplicate skills showing up in the list. Do I need to manually edit the list myself of I can select just one book over the other?

Sulimo
April 25th, 2022, 03:16
I am not seeing that, even if I load the - Players versions of Creatures & Treasures and RoCo 1.

Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing?

For reference, this is what I see:

https://i.imgur.com/ggVh0UD.png

Dakadin
April 25th, 2022, 04:53
Hopefully my final question! I have purchased the RMC base rule package and RMC1. The skill tree is now a bit of a mess with duplicate skills showing up in the list. Do I need to manually edit the list myself of I can select just one book over the other?

I am guessing that you might have some other modules loaded. Here is how you can check:
1. Click the Modules sidebar item
2. Click the Activation button on the bottom left of the window that opens
3. Click the Load Filter button on the bottom right of the window that opens

That will show you the loaded modules. Since you had the RMFRP extension loaded earlier, I would make sure you don't have the RMFRP modules loaded.

Grimbold11
April 25th, 2022, 05:10
No idea why it won't paste in an image but I have Weapon 1 through 6 after Swim (Ag) and also after Urban (In/Pr/Re). I have the skill "Hiding" and I also have "Subterfuge Stealth". I have Maneuvering in soft and rigid leather, chain, and plate but I also have Armor Heavy, Medium, and Light skills. I have a "Martial Arts" skill but I also have "Martial Arts Striking" and "Martial Arts Sweeps". Does that offer any clues? I added a couple of attachments.

Sulimo
April 25th, 2022, 05:41
I think I see what may have happened.

When you added the skills, you renamed some of them, like the Weapon skills and Martial Arts, is that correct?

If so, then it looks like you may have added the skills again, which would explain what happened.

You can delete the duplicates and it should not cause any issues.

Dakadin
April 25th, 2022, 06:25
Those definitely look like skills from the RMFRP modules. I think Ardem setup the Skill Categories to start with a - at the beginning. If you aren't playing RMFRP then you can do this to remove them.
1. Go to the Skills tab and click the Skill Dev button
2. On the Skill Development window, click the buttons "Remove Untrained Primary" and "Remove Untrained Secondary".

This will remove any skills that don't have any ranks in them yet.

Grimbold11
April 25th, 2022, 14:55
I am guessing that you might have some other modules loaded. Here is how you can check:
1. Click the Modules sidebar item
2. Click the Activation button on the bottom left of the window that opens
3. Click the Load Filter button on the bottom right of the window that opens

That will show you the loaded modules. Since you had the RMFRP extension loaded earlier, I would make sure you don't have the RMFRP modules loaded.

This is what it was. Geeze, without you guys I would have been sooooooo lost! Thank you again!!

Trenloe
April 25th, 2022, 15:29
Glad you're getting there @Grimbold11. I think the lesson to be learned here is don't download and enable a bunch of stuff when you're first learning the product/ruleset. I've seen this on the forums before, thinking that in order to make their Fantasy Grounds setup *the best* a GM has to use all of the additional DLC available. Start with the basics to learn the system and once you're comfortable with using the setup, if there's a couple of additional extensions or library modules that you *really* need, look into adding them in the future.

Sulimo
April 25th, 2022, 16:34
That is very good advice Trenloe.

@Grimbold11, if you have not already, I would highly recommend that you check out Wolfshield's videos (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17264-Videos), they cover a lot of the basics for the RMC ruleset, they were made before some of the redesign, but beyond some visual changes, they are still very good.

Grimbold11
May 6th, 2022, 05:10
A new question for the masses if I may! I have disabled Creatures and Treasures for players in the modules section but races like Neandrthal, Nixie, Leprechaun, and Kobold are still options for choosing a race when creating a character. All I want are basic choices with Companion I. Any idea which other supplement would be adding in these extra options?

Sulimo
May 6th, 2022, 05:24
Did you also disable the Creatures & Treasures - Players module from being able to be loaded? That should be the module that Players would load for those races.

https://i.imgur.com/PrmwqBm.png

Grimbold11
May 6th, 2022, 22:49
Yup!

Dakadin
May 6th, 2022, 23:08
Hi Grimbold11,

Are your players seeing the options or is it that only you are seeing it? The reason that I am asking is I notice you have the C&T - Players module set so the PCs can't load it but you do have it loaded. That means you will see it in your drop down list and sidebar items but your players still shouldn't see it since they can't load that module. If you are seeing them as the GM, just unload that module and you won't see them anymore. Please let us know if you are seeing something else.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Grimbold11
May 25th, 2022, 01:15
It took a bit of a learning curve and a lot of prep work but I am running my first Fantasy Grounds Rolemaster game. I'm excited and my players are too! I wanted to give a shout out to all of you who kindly responded here and helped me out with my technical questions. Thank you!!

I look forward to reporting back with tales of heroics, of woe, and everything in between soon :D

JohnD
May 26th, 2022, 00:56
It took a bit of a learning curve and a lot of prep work but I am running my first Fantasy Grounds Rolemaster game. I'm excited and my players are too! I wanted to give a shout out to all of you who kindly responded here and helped me out with my technical questions. Thank you!!

I look forward to reporting back with tales of heroics, of woe, and everything in between soon :D

Watch out for invisible turtles!

Majyk
May 28th, 2022, 05:21
Congrats Grimbold!
Enjoy bringing the old crunchy game we all know and love back to life with your crew!