PDA

View Full Version : (Any) - Add Party to Map In Formation

seansps
April 23rd, 2022, 01:38
Hey Everyone,

I was getting really tired of constantly having to manually add all my players to a new map each time I switch to a map.

I wanted to be able to add them all to a given map at a given location using their Formation from the party sheet. I didn't see an extension that did that, so I made one.

The extension is now available on the Forge! (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/629/view)

The extension *should* work with all rulesets but I only tested with 5e, CoreRPG, and my custom Cyberpunk RED ruleset. If a ruleset does something funky with onDrop on images, then it won't work. Also, I only tested with FGU (Classic might not work!)

Here's how to do it:
- Download the PartyToMap.ext extension file to your extensions folder
- Select the Add Party to Map extension prior to loading the campaign
- On the Party Sheet, add all your party members, then make sure their "Formation" is set in the Marching Order / Formation panel
- Add each party member to the Combat Tracker (this is required to add/link their token properly!)
- Open a new map, toggle the toolbar (The one with pen tool, etc.)
- On the left of the tool bar is "Add Party" - Click and drag this to the place you want the party in the map
- Boom, they should all be there, in their relative formation. If for some reason they are misaligned, make sure you are dropping right in the center of the desired square, or adjust the tokens on the Formation panel.
- You can click and drag this option on a different map to move their tokens there
- To change the direction of the formation, Right Click the "Add Party" button and select "Set Direction" then select North, East, South, or West. If the direction is anything other than North, it will show in Parenthesis in the button text (ie "Add Party (E)"). This rotates the formation to be facing the given direction for use in maps where the starting passages/areas are not north-facing.

Here's a screenshot:

Extension is now available on the Forge here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/629/view

Neovirtus
April 23rd, 2022, 03:45
This is awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks!

seansps
April 23rd, 2022, 04:04
This is awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Thanks! Lemme know if you run into any issues! I think it’ll come quite in handy in my own games. I have an idea for how to fix the alignment issue- will update if it works.

seansps
April 23rd, 2022, 04:32
I just uploaded a v1.1 that adjusts the placement of the other tokens based on the grid size of your image that you're dropping them on, so that should fix the aforementioned alignment issues!

MeAndUnique
April 23rd, 2022, 22:41
Very nice! Any chance of this heading to the Forge?

seansps
April 23rd, 2022, 22:44
Very nice! Any chance of this heading to the Forge?

Thanks!

And yes! I’m waiting for approval for an account to publish to Forge and then I’ll move it there!

EllivasKram
April 24th, 2022, 00:16
This looks like something FGU should just take into the product. Weird the way green icon works in CT especially in tight locations.

You deserve an inspiration point.

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 00:36
This looks like something FGU should just take into the product. Weird the way green icon works in CT especially in tight locations.

You deserve an inspiration point.

Lol, thanks! And I agree - it should be a default feature haha!

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 03:16
Hey!

Not sure if I am missing something here. I have the add-on enabled, all the tokens are in the party sheet (the proper linked ones that are green), and I have all of them in the party tracker/combat tracker, but the option to add them isn't on my maps. I am using 5e.

This looks amazing.
Thanks in advance for any help. :)

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 03:28
Hey!

Not sure if I am missing something here. I have the add-on enabled, all the tokens are in the party sheet (the proper linked ones that are green), and I have all of them in the party tracker/combat tracker, but the option to add them isn't on my maps. I am using 5e.

This looks amazing.
Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Oh that’s weird! Do you have any other extensions enabled that are adding options to the Toolbar of the map? (And I’m assuming you’re looking in the toolbar section?)

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 03:30
Yes, I was looking in the toolbar. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Yeah, I have "Situational Awareness" enabled, which adds some options on the toolbar. I guess they are conflicting?

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 03:37
Yes, I was looking in the toolbar. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Yeah, I have "Situational Awareness" enabled, which adds some options on the toolbar. I guess they are conflicting?

Ah yes- that’s probably what is happening. I bet one is overwriting the other. If you disable that one, it might show up!

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 03:40
Just thinking— perhaps I could add an alternative button to do it from the Party Sheet so that both extensions can be enabled? I might try that later.

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 03:45
That would be awesome. I would love to be able to do both.

I do have the button now, yes! However, it still doesn't seem to be working. I am pretty sure I am doing everything correctly. When I click and drag onto the map, none of the tokens appear. I double checked and made sure that all the tokens in the party order page are on the combat tracker.

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 03:48
That would be awesome. I would love to be able to do both.

I do have the button now, yes! However, it still doesn't seem to be working. I am pretty sure I am doing everything correctly. When I click and drag onto the map, none of the tokens appear. I double checked and made sure that all the tokens in the party order page are on the combat tracker.

Oh weird! Is anything showing in the Console? (Type /console to see.)

There might be something else enabled conflicting. You could also try just a new campaign (set to 5e) with no other extensions enabled and see if that works from there. My guess is some other conflict is happening.

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 03:59
All I see in the console are the modules I have loaded, etc.

I tried with the campaign I was running (sans other extensions) and a new campaign, but it still isn't working. I uploaded a picture of my screen so you can see if I am doing something incorrectly lol. 52514

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 04:07
All I see in the console are the modules I have loaded, etc.

I tried with the campaign I was running (sans other extensions) and a new campaign, but it still isn't working. I uploaded a picture of my screen so you can see if I am doing something incorrectly lol. 52514

Hmm… everything looks right. If a party member isn’t in the combat tracker (or it can’t find them there) it should write a message to the chat.

Nothing in the console indicates no major errors. So clicking and dragging the button to the grid does nothing? If you zoom out a lot on the map are they located elsewhere? Wondering if maybe it’s a bug with location.

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 04:16
No, it is just the list of modules I loaded. I uploaded another pic with the console showing. It doesn't show ALL the modules I have loaded, but scrolling up there aren't any errors or anything.

So, I double-clicked on the token in the combat tracker to take me to the token and it looks like it has added all of them to a "New Image" (which isn't in my list of images). I uploaded another screenshot so you can see what it is doing. 52515

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 04:34
No, it is just the list of modules I loaded. I uploaded another pic with the console showing. It doesn't show ALL the modules I have loaded, but scrolling up there aren't any errors or anything.

So, I double-clicked on the token in the combat tracker to take me to the token and it looks like it has added all of them to a "New Image" (which isn't in my list of images). I uploaded another screenshot so you can see what it is doing. 52515

Ah, thanks! This definitely looks like a strange bug I might have. I am not sure what would cause it. The only thing I can think of is to make sure only one image is currently open - when you start dragging the button it sets the image you are dropping it on, and expects it to be that one. Does it work on any other images?

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 04:37
Yeah, I tried it with a few different images, making sure that I only had one open and still no cigar. :(

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 04:45
Yeah, I tried it with a few different images, making sure that I only had one open and still no cigar. :(

Shoot- sorry about that! I’ll try to recreate the bug later and see if I can fix it once I figure it out!

emeraldincognito
April 24th, 2022, 04:54
No need to be sorry! This extension looks awesome and I can't wait to use it. Thanks. :)

damned
April 24th, 2022, 05:51
Well done seansps

JohnD
April 24th, 2022, 07:09
Really nice work... a great addition to FG.

Sterno
April 24th, 2022, 12:19
Just tried this out in the 2E ruleset and was initially disappointed... the party entered the map in formation, but considerably offset from where I dragged to.

Played around with it a bit and realized it works perfectly if the UI scale is 100%, but not when I'm running at /scaleui 125 or 150. (which I usually am).

So looks like it may need to account for UI scale when you're calculating the position to drop them.

The other problem I can forsee is the need to rotate them as you drop them. If you set them up on the party sheet with a North/South formation but drag them into a hallway heading east/west, it's not really going to do anything useful for you. Not sure what the solution there would be short of extra buttons (or a hotkey like alt/shift/control you hold while dragging) for like 90 degree rotation, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 16:01
Just tried this out in the 2E ruleset and was initially disappointed... the party entered the map in formation, but considerably offset from where I dragged to.

Played around with it a bit and realized it works perfectly if the UI scale is 100%, but not when I'm running at /scaleui 125 or 150. (which I usually am).

So looks like it may need to account for UI scale when you're calculating the position to drop them.

The other problem I can forsee is the need to rotate them as you drop them. If you set them up on the party sheet with a North/South formation but drag them into a hallway heading east/west, it's not really going to do anything useful for you. Not sure what the solution there would be short of extra buttons (or a hotkey like alt/shift/control you hold while dragging) for like 90 degree rotation, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees

Thank you for testing! I hadn’t realized UI Scale would need to be factored in. I’ll see if I can fix that.

I like your idea of other buttons, maybe that would work! “Add Party North-facing”, “East-facing” etc?

Edit: I think I’ll label the other buttons “Add Party 90°”, “Add Party 180°” and “Add Party 270°”

EllivasKram
April 24th, 2022, 18:35
Can you snap into the green icon in CT to change its behaviour or maybe right click menu for compass facing ?

seansps
April 24th, 2022, 18:39
Can you snap into the green icon in CT to change its behaviour or maybe right click menu for compass facing ?

I can look into a right click menu for facing!

I almost have a fix for the UI Scaling issue. Just need to figure out where to factor in the UI Scale properly with my calculation

seansps
April 25th, 2022, 02:10
Hi everyone, I just uploaded a v1.3 that fixes the issue with UI Scaling.

You should now be able to drop the party on any map gridsize w/ any UI Scale set. I tested in both 5e and CoreRPG, so it should be working in other rulesets, too.

I haven't been able to reproduce the reported issue where it actually drops them on a New Map (I suspect that has to do w/ conflicting extensions still, not sure.)

Next, I will try to add a Right Click Menu to change the facing.

seansps
April 25th, 2022, 02:49

Okay, so it was actually pretty easy to get all this fixed!

The latest version I just uploaded (v1.5) should address all the issues with the UI Scale AND adds a right-click menu to change the facing:

- Right click the button to Set Direction
- Select North,South,East,or West
- The button text will update w/ the new direction
- Click and drag, and it should place the characters in formation with the chosen heading

Edit: I am also trying something in this new version that might fix the "New Image" bug previously reported

seansps
April 29th, 2022, 19:41
Hi everyone--

I've put the latest version of the extension up now on the Forge here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/629/view

Please let me know if there are any issues with the Forge version and I will try to fix asap!

EllivasKram
April 29th, 2022, 20:33
FYI. You can drag map assets onto the marching order screen to set a scene for the formation. Quite a nice feature although un-appreciated.

seansps
April 29th, 2022, 20:46
FYI. You can drag map assets onto the marching order screen to set a scene for the formation. Quite a nice feature although appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just so I understand, are you saying you’d like map assets that are placed on the Formation window to be copied to the map as well? (When dragging the party to the map?)

I could definitely look into doing that in a future release.

EllivasKram
April 29th, 2022, 20:49
No I was just saying that you can have a pretty map on the formation window. But now you mention it. Horse and carts and the like could be useful.

seansps
April 29th, 2022, 20:50
No I was just saying that you can have a pretty map on the formation window. But now you mention it. Horse and carts and the like could be useful.

Ah I see- yeah!

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 12:18
I like this extension but the button overlaps the FoWenhancement ext. I see on page 1 you figure some ext will cause this but I thought I see if it was possible to resolve it? No worries if not. Thanks.https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70474-FoWEnhanced-Extension-(all-rulesets)-Support-Thread

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 13:06
I like this extension but the button overlaps the FoWenhancement ext. I see on page 1 you figure some ext will cause this but I thought I see if it was possible to resolve it? No worries if not. Thanks.https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70474-FoWEnhanced-Extension-(all-rulesets)-Support-Thread

I see! I will play around the position a bit to see if I can address this. Thanks for letting me know!

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 14:24

Hi nephranka! Can you please try the latest version? It should be available now if you get the latest updates. I moved the button over to the left of the Zoom-to-Fit button and it should be more accessible now w/ other extensions!

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 14:54
I also just updated it (again-- quick change!) to use the same button styling as the rest of the toolbar and altered versions of the Party Sheet icon.

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 15:01
Hi nephranka! Can you please try the latest version? It should be available now if you get the latest updates. I moved the button over to the left of the Zoom-to-Fit button and it should be more accessible now w/ other extensions!

I will be able to take a look this evening. I have a lot of things that add buttons to the bar so I should be able to let you know what, if anything, overlaps. Thanks!

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 15:06
I will be able to take a look this evening. I have a lot of things that add buttons to the bar so I should be able to let you know what, if anything, overlaps. Thanks!

Awesome, thank you! You’re the exact kind of user I was hoping would test out the extension so I can get the placement right! Hopefully it all just stacks together nicely now. Looking forward to hearing back.

Tabarkus
May 4th, 2022, 16:35
This is awesome! I have a big party of PCs, this relieves so much emotional trauma!

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 17:01
This is awesome! I have a big party of PCs, this relieves so much emotional trauma!

Thank you! Yes - totally agree, that’s why I had to share this with the community after I made it for my own games! :D

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 22:02
So I see partytomap in my ext but it is not on my list to activate? Looks to have just been update?

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 22:11
So I see partytomap in my ext but it is not on my list to activate? Looks to have just been update?

I did just push out an update! Are you saying you do not see it in the Extension List when loading the campaign? (What ruleset?)

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 22:16
I did just push out an update! Are you saying you do not see it in the Extension List when loading the campaign? (What ruleset?)

Correct. Not in the list but in the folder on the drive. 5e

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 22:19
Correct. Not in the list but in the folder on the drive. 5e

Oh that's odd. I just tried it on another machine and it does seem to show up. But, it was a bit down in the list.

Screenshot: 52650

Can you try updating again with the FG Updater and see if it shows up? If not, what is the file size of the extension?

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 22:21
Oh that's odd. I just tried it on another machine and it does seem to show up. But, it was a bit down in the list.

Screenshot: 52650

Can you try updating again with the FG Updater and see if it shows up? If not, what is the file size of the extension?

Had to delete the old one. Now it is loaded.

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 22:22
Ok. So I don't see the button at all now?

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 22:24
Ok. So I don't see the button at all now?

Oh it’s there!

It’s just that you have so many other extensions it’s harder to see. I changed the icon to the Party Icon. It’s right next to the red skull.

nephranka
May 4th, 2022, 22:28
Oh it’s there!

It’s just that you have so many other extensions it’s harder to see. I changed the icon to the Party Icon. It’s right next to the red skull.

Tricky! I see it now and it worked! Nice one there. Told you I have a lot going on with the bar ;)

seansps
May 4th, 2022, 22:29
Tricky! I see it now and it worked! Nice one there. Told you I have a lot going on with the bar ;)

You certainly do! Haha- sorry for the confusion, I was a bit worried about moving it around so I updated the screenshots on the Forge page- hopefully that helps others.

Glad it worked!

kevininrussia
May 5th, 2022, 20:51
Discard. User error. It's working correctly. :-)

I have not had success getting this extension to work with the 4E ruleset. When I drag and drop to a map nothing happens.

Could be in the way 4E looks at the Formations as its listed as Watch Order in 4E.

seansps
May 5th, 2022, 21:48
Discard. User error. It's working correctly. :-)

Awesome, glad it worked! I forgot to test in 4E :) - thanks for testing!

seansps
May 18th, 2022, 02:10
Hi everyone. The latest version of FG has a change to the image API that requires me to alter the way I factor in the UI Scale.

Until I get a bug fix out (likely tomorrow) you might notice some irregularities with placement when your UI is scaled up or down. Sorry bout that!

seansps
May 18th, 2022, 17:19
I've just pushed out a v1.8 which fixes the aforementioned issues with UI Scale and the latest version of FG!

Idward
September 4th, 2022, 23:57
Is there any way to fix the spacing? In the party sheet i have them all right next to each other but when I add it to the map they are all 3 tiles away from each other

seansps
September 5th, 2022, 00:09
Is there any way to fix the spacing? In the party sheet i have them all right next to each other but when I add it to the map they are all 3 tiles away from each other

Hi! The spacing should be working just fine for square grids, however, it is hard to get it just right for Hex Grids, since the Party Sheet uses a square grid.

I've also noticed the spacing can get weird if the grid size for the Party Sheet Formation Image changed somehow on your campaign. It should be "50". You can check by going to the folder for your campaign, opening the "db.xml" file and look for the <image> tag under <partysheet>. Make sure gridsize, if set there, is "<gridsize>50,50</gridsize>".

Hope that helps!

Idward
September 5th, 2022, 11:57
Ah that explains it, the grid was at 150,150

EllivasKram
September 5th, 2022, 18:30
FYI I’ve seen in the laboratory’s list of things being changed is the party drag feature. It might make this extn redundant.

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2022, 18:38
Party sheet formation management and drag to map is included in the Core update for early this month (probably this week).

Regards,
JPG

seansps
September 5th, 2022, 19:02
FYI I’ve seen in the laboratory’s list of things being changed is the party drag feature. It might make this extn redundant.

Nice, thanks for letting me know! I will try out the new formation window and such and see if this is needed after those updates.

EllivasKram
September 5th, 2022, 19:06
Party sheet formation management and drag to map is included in the Core update for early this month (probably this week).

Regards,
JPG

Is there any chance the drag of the green icon for PC’s onto a map were they are already on the map. Will not reset vision history ?

seansps
September 5th, 2022, 19:10
Ahh! Interesting, thanks Moon Wizard! So happy to see my extension being adopted as a core feature! (Albeit probably a better implementation of it ;) ) Thanks!

seansps
September 6th, 2022, 15:16
Note to everyone using this extension! The next CoreRPG update will deprecate this extension and integrate the functionality directly in the Formation view of the Party Sheet. After this is released, I will disable this extension, but the features will be built right into the Party Sheet for future drag and drop party functionality thanks to the SmiteWorks devs!

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2022, 17:02
Is there any chance the drag of the green icon for PC’s onto a map were they are already on the map. Will not reset vision history ?

No, but you can keep the history by holding SHIFT whilst you drag tokens around the map.