PDA

View Full Version : Additional Crits for NPCs

alloowishus
April 21st, 2022, 19:52
I created an NPC that has a large butt/bash attack with an additional Heat critical. First of all, what is the "Severity" level mean? Also, how is this additional crit resolved? When I do a sample attack and resolve it, I only see the Unbalance critical, I don't see the heat critical. Thanks.

Sulimo
April 21st, 2022, 20:06
Typically additional crits beyond the main crit (in your example, the Ram/Butt/Bash), would have a reduced severity.

For example, let's say you got an E Ram/Butt/Bash crit, and the Severity of the Additional Heat crit is -2, that would be a C crit for the secondary crit.

So the Severity reduces the additional crit by the specified amount. -1 thought -5 potentially, but I don't think I've seen anything that has been beyond -2 before.

So a -1 crit mod would do the following:

E becomes D
D becomes C
C becomes B
B becomes A
A becomes nothing (no crit)

The other severities are basically the same, with a different modifier, -2 would reduce by two levels (E to C, etc.) -3 would reduce by 3 levels (E to B, etc.), etc.

alloowishus
April 21st, 2022, 20:39
Ok thanks, I was putting 3 instead of -3. Maybe this should be a drop down? (-1,-2,-3,-4)

Dakadin
April 21st, 2022, 21:34
To resolve it, you need to right click on the attack result and it will be one of the bottom options on the radial menu.

alloowishus
April 22nd, 2022, 17:24
Yeah, I got it to work, but if you put in a positive number, it doesn't work. THat's why i think it should be a drop down.

Sulimo
April 22nd, 2022, 19:40
If you put in a positive number (or without a sign), it will increase the Critical by the number specified. For a Severity of 1, A would become B, etc.

It'd be a large drop down for all of the possible options; ± 5, and one more for no change, so 11 possible options (then there are things like the J criticals that could cause more issues).

Dakadin
April 23rd, 2022, 00:10
If you put in a positive number (or without a sign), it will increase the Critical by the number specified. For a Severity of 1, A would become B, etc.

It'd be a large drop down for all of the possible options; ± 5, and one more for no change, so 11 possible options (then there are things like the J criticals that could cause more issues).

That brings up a good point. I don't think it will include the additional critical option if the critical severity goes above an E critical. I will need to add that to my list to use it as a maximum instead of an invalid value.

Sulimo
April 23rd, 2022, 00:11
Sorry about creating more work for you. :)

Dakadin
April 23rd, 2022, 00:18
No need to be sorry. It just got me thinking that I don't think I thought to check for that when I added it 8 or 9 years ago :P. I tested it and it doesn't include the additional critical when it goes above an E critical. No worries though. It should be an easy fix.