PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to create a custom item property in 5e?

RuleLawyer
April 19th, 2022, 13:16
Hi all

I'm hoping to create a new weapon property (like range, thrown, light, reach etc...). Is this possible?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2022, 15:39
Welcome to FGU.

This would require an extension to change the ruleset so that it would accept your new property and that it would do something.

LordEntrails
April 19th, 2022, 16:13
You can just add your new value into existing items, but FG won't do anything with it. If you want it to do something, like a new damage resistance, encumberance effect, etc. Then you you will need an extension like Mr Z says :)

For damage types, their is this extension and thread on how to modify it for your needs; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65787-Extension-for-custom-damage-types

RuleLawyer
April 20th, 2022, 12:17
Thanks both

I'm basically trying to implement my own ruleset for firearms for a homebrew setting. It has a few new weapon properties. Is there an existing extension that would let me add properties and new rules with ease, or is this something that would be custom? If the later, how does one go about getting something like that up and running?

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2022, 15:18
I'm not aware of an existing extension; so you'd have to start from scratch. You'll need to learn lua and xml scripting. Here's the place to start https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996644285/Developer+Guide

You haven't said what it is you want to implement specifically - there could be a way to do it without coding but unless we know we can't point you in the right direction.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2022, 15:53
Did you check out the thread I linked? It's basically a tutorial on how to customize the provided extension to add new properties. You will have to do some extension writing, but it's all laid out for you. If you are just looking to add properties like mentioned in that thread.

edit: The above extension is for properties like "silver" "cold iron" etc for damage types and resistances. If you want something like "three handed" "slow loading" etc it is going to depend upon if you want automation around those or other behavior. If it is just informational, then just add the value to the property field. FG wont do anything with it, but it will be noted.