PDA

View Full Version : First FGII experience...

mearrin69
October 1st, 2007, 19:24
Hi all,
Long-time owner, first-time user of FG. I got to play in my first session last Thursday and it was great. DM is running Rise of the Runelords from Paizo. We were able to spend some time getting hot-keys set up before the game and I dropped in weapon attacks, damage, saves, key skill checks, etc. along with a few in-character phrases to use. That stuff sure makes play go quickly. Still getting used to the different chat modes (ooc, emote, action, etc.) but I like them a lot - keeps chatter and commentary from interrupting any action or role-playing. The map and targeting system was great and I very much liked being able to drag damage and other values around.

Having used FGII only from the DM's point of view as I build a ruleset for Star Wars, I was very impressed with the immersiveness of FGII from the player's angle. It was nice not seeing the combat tracker and other features - just dice, character sheet, battlemap, and chatbox.

The bug that stops you from typing until you minimize and maximize a couple of times is a bit disconcerting - I'd vote for that one to get fixed soon if possible. Happened to me right as the DM was asking me if I was done with my turn (we type 'end' when we're through with our actions in combat) and I was frantically trying to get keyboard access while the rest of the group was wondering if I had gone for a smoke break or something.

All in all it was a nice experience - different than playing around a table but better in some ways (I would probably not play a female character in person, for one thing, as I imagine a beard would hurt suspension of disbelief :D ).
M

richvalle
October 1st, 2007, 19:47
Next timet that keyboard issue comes up hit alt-tab to go way from FG, then Alt-tab back. It should fix the issue.

Not that it doesn't need to be fixed but it should allow you to type faster next time so everyone doesn't think you've wandered off. :)

rv

mearrin69
October 1st, 2007, 21:01
Thanks. I will try that. I wasn't sure how to get control back so I was just sort of doing stuff at random. I managed to do it but the other players told me what the deal was. Hadn't thought of Alt-Tab though - I use a laptop with not-so-great screen resolution so I hide the taskbar to get more real estate. Alt-Tab will be easier than messing with that thing (which gets a little 'flippy' when hidden).
M

kalmarjan
October 2nd, 2007, 06:48
If you are using vista, another way to get to FG pretty quick is to use the Windows+Tab (If the Aero interface is your bag that is.)

Sandeman