PDA

View Full Version : Adding Modules

azhrei331
October 1st, 2007, 07:10
ok...at a loss...again....

i am attempting to create a new module for extra information for an upcoming campaign. i copied the code framework from the d20 basic rules, changed all the code over to what i needed, but it does not show up when i load FGII. as far as i can tell, the xml code for all the .mod files mirrors what i see in the basic rules. still...cannot load in any of my campaigns, even new ones i create. any help for the idiot on this end would be appreciated.

Ram Tyr
October 1st, 2007, 13:35
Does your definition.xml file refer to the ruleset you are trying to open the module from? (For example, d20.) It is my understanding that this is required.

<ruleset>d20</ruleset>
Did you wrap the three files (thumbnail, client.xml, and definition.xml) back into a mod file? When you look at the properties of the file (by right clicking and selecting properties) it has to say MOD file under the 'type of file' entry. (This was just recently causing me headaches until I could figure out how to make the program I am using convert the files to a MOD file while 'zipping'. Thanks to Stuart for showing me the way on this question. I was simply renaming the file with .MOD on the end...and that is not sufficient.)

I downloaded ZipGenius to do the zipping and it lets me change the file type. (I went with this one over WinZip because it is free, no nag adds, etc.) Using ZipGenius I was able to have the module appear in FG II and it worked when activated.

Since you unbundled the d20 basic rules module, I assume you found the correct folder to dump your module into after you repackaged it as a MOD file. Just in case, in windows XP it should be something like: (where username is whatever name you have given yourself on your system)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\modules

If you have Vista, the location is likely different.

Keep in mind that there are others that are more experienced. (You may be one of them.) I am just beginning to play with this stuff myself. If I am wrong about something I am certain that someone will correct any errors shortly while giving you some more advice and I will call it a learning experience.

Later.

azhrei331
October 1st, 2007, 17:41
Does your definition.xml file refer to the ruleset you are trying to open the module from? (For example, d20.) It is my understanding that this is required.

<ruleset>d20</ruleset>
Did you wrap the three files (thumbnail, client.xml, and definition.xml) back into a mod file? When you look at the properties of the file (by right clicking and selecting properties) it has to say MOD file under the 'type of file' entry. (This was just recently causing me headaches until I could figure out how to make the program I am using convert the files to a MOD file while 'zipping'. Thanks to Stuart for showing me the way on this question. I was simply renaming the file with .MOD on the end...and that is not sufficient.)

I downloaded ZipGenius to do the zipping and it lets me change the file type. (I went with this one over WinZip because it is free, no nag adds, etc.) Using ZipGenius I was able to have the module appear in FG II and it worked when activated.

Since you unbundled the d20 basic rules module, I assume you found the correct folder to dump your module into after you repackaged it as a MOD file. Just in case, in windows XP it should be something like: (where username is whatever name you have given yourself on your system)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\modules

If you have Vista, the location is likely different.

Keep in mind that there are others that are more experienced. (You may be one of them.) I am just beginning to play with this stuff myself. If I am wrong about something I am certain that someone will correct any errors shortly while giving you some more advice and I will call it a learning experience.

Later.

thanks for the response, but everything above was already done. it is something else.

Toadwart
October 1st, 2007, 19:56
Check that the zipped file does not contain a sub-folder.
If you unzip your module it should create a single folder containing the module files. If it is a folder within a folder then you'll need to figure out a way to zip it up without including a sub-folder.
In windows it's as easy as highlighting the 3 files, right-click on one of them and select "send to compressed (zipped) folder". Then rename the resulting zip file and set it's extension to .mod.

Unrecognized characters are another thing that can sometimes cause modules to be 'hidden'.
Back up your modules xml files. Open them in notepad and select File->Save As.
If the Encoding dropdown is not already set to "ANSI" then save them as ANSI, zip them up into a .mod file anfd try again.

Can't say I completely understand the encoding malarky. You might need to change the encoding type within the xml files (the first line in the file). I think for ANSI this setting should work:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>

azhrei331
October 1st, 2007, 22:50
so i walked away from the computer frustrated by the situation and got something to drink. when i came back, a lab monkey decided to climb thru the window of my apartment, fling a pile of poo at the computer, and fled. after i cleaned up the mess, i retried to create the file and NOW EVERYTHING WORKS!!! i did everything exactly how i had previously, but now it shows up as it's supposed to. let it never be said that a good feces fling cannot solve the world's problems. thank you all for the previous advice.

Oswyn
December 15th, 2007, 06:02
:confused:

Having problems with modules myself.

I have been working on my own version of Rippers for Savage Worlds, to do this I simply copied the Savage Worlds ruleset to a folder called SW_Rippers. I then edited some of the xml files and changed a few graphics etc, ruleset works file. I then wanted the modules for Savage Worlds to also be in the new ruleset, so I edited the definition.xml file in all the Savage Worlds .mod files inserting another <ruleset></ruleset> tag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>SW GM Rules</name>
<author>Digital Adventures 2007</author>
<ruleset>SavageWorlds</ruleset>
<ruleset>SW_Rippers</ruleset>
</root>

The new file is zipped and has a .mod extension, it works fine with the Savage Worlds ruleset but the modules will not show with the SW_Rippers ruleset. I made sure the ruleset tag has the same name at the dir of the ruleset.

Perhaps someone could post a version of there working modified definition.xml file.

Valarian
December 15th, 2007, 10:18
I think you can only have one ruleset in the module definition. However, there's a way to get modules from other ruleset showing up. I'll try and find the thread ....
... try the instructions from this thread (ttp://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6644&highlight=module+custom+ruleset), modifying the base.xml of your SW_Rippers ruleset to import the modules from SavageWorlds.

Griogre
December 15th, 2007, 10:27
Here's what I have:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>Quick Reference</name>
<author>Digital Adventures 2007</author>
<ruleset>PiratesSpanishMain</ruleset>
</root>

You might try it without the underscore.

Valarian's idea is best if there are no mods to some SW modules.

Oswyn
December 15th, 2007, 15:16
Ha, knew it was something simple, so to recap, only one ruleset tag per module, to add existing modules to a custom ruleset do the following;

In your new ruleset's folder, you need to modify the base.xml file and add the following bit after the <root version="2.0"> line:
Code:

<importinfo> <acceptfrom ruleset="d20" /> </importinfo>

This will allow you to open the modules created for the d20 ruleset in your new ruleset's library.

The 'd20' being SavageWorlds in my case.

Thanks