PDA

View Full Version : Game Changer - Dungeon Alchemist

TheShadow
April 1st, 2022, 14:29
Just looked at this briefly but the maps can be imported into FG and they will already have the walls and doors and lighting completed. WHAT? They had me interested because the maps look incredibly easy to make but this just kind of made my jaw drop.

https://www.dungeonalchemist.com/

Valyar
April 1st, 2022, 16:21
Do they state explicitly that FGU is supported? On the screenshot they are having Foundry.

TheShadow
April 1st, 2022, 16:26
They do. I saw this quick review and saw the FG import and it sold me on the spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ttG3V3U6k&ab_channel=RethinkGaming

celestian
April 1st, 2022, 16:36
Do they state explicitly that FGU is supported? On the screenshot they are having Foundry.

Import works in FGU and Foundry. LOS and Lighting. I tested in both. Works great. Very nice tool for generating encounter maps with fluff populated. For me, absolutely worth getting in the kickstarter.

mattekure
April 1st, 2022, 19:00
Yeah, works great with FGU. imported easily with no issues. I also used it to grab an isometric screenshot to show the players a more 3d view of the top down map.

like this.

https://i.imgur.com/a00j19B.png

celestian
April 1st, 2022, 19:15
These images are from the imported map in FGU.

Showing with LOS:

https://i.imgur.com/xCEFl4O.jpg

Just Map:
https://i.imgur.com/KL2EsW8.jpg

Valyar
April 1st, 2022, 19:17
That's impressive...

Dax Doomslayer
April 2nd, 2022, 01:58
Are there any decent YouTube tutorials for this? Though I was part of the Kickstarter, I've never gotten around to playing with this...

JohnD
April 2nd, 2022, 02:09
Is gud ja.

Sulimo
April 2nd, 2022, 02:28
Are there any decent YouTube tutorials for this? Though I was part of the Kickstarter, I've never gotten around to playing with this...

They have some videos on their Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfTpOED8an7uP5NAI50zFzg/videos).

damned
April 2nd, 2022, 04:09
I never get my kickstarter messages....
damn dissapointing... ive a few projects I should have received....

JonStormbringer
April 2nd, 2022, 12:13
I think it's a great product. I didn't get a chance to do the kickstarter, so I just paid full price on steam. It's very easy to use and works great, importing directly into FG. I don't, personally, think it replaces Dungeondraft--at this point (Even more so if using FA art pack for DD.). Once they iron out some kinks and add some more content, I could see this becoming my primary dungeon/room building tool. While I believe DD is a little more versatile right now, DA is much faster to build. A map I built in DA would have taken me much longer in DD or DPS.

In truth, I enjoy all these dungeon/region/world creation applications because they allow me a creative outlet and quality I can't achieve with my own two hands... Love drawing stuff, but even my stick figures suck!

GunnarGreybeard
April 2nd, 2022, 22:27
I think that the random generation capability itself positions it to leap out ahead of it's competitors. Just needs more content.

Mytherus
April 3rd, 2022, 05:14
I agree it’s a great product. I got it Friday. It’s still in beta officially so it’s missing some features from other map applications but the dev seems devoted to the product and states more features are in the works and they are responding to feedback to fix bugs. That said I’ve not run into anything I’d classify as a bug yet it’s pretty solid.

The maps export beautifully into fgu and I can confirm the los and lighting work great as well. Finally the maps look really nice especially considering how fast you can turn them out.

Morenu
April 8th, 2022, 05:40
I was in the Beta KS since release in Oct/nov 21. It is super fast especially for random areas (random home, inn, castle...) and the exterior that was added a few weeks into march is amazing for the length of time it has been released. The creators are very responsive on their discord channel. for $45 I would buy it without any hesitation.

Yes it imports to FGU (and d20 and foundry) with LoS & doors. You can output top down or very slightly off angle to give a little 3d like effect. They have not finished all thee stretch goals yet but they will make them as free dlc for everyone (except the one or two ultra high KS bonuses that were personalized).

my group did 2ed level 1 of undermountain back in nov. (too big and got clunky in both DA and FGU but with optimizations since then it works betteer) and we kicked out level 2 in 5 sections in like 2 or 3 evenings (matching the original map takes time).

Oh and they have a map output for printing as well.

readymeal
April 8th, 2022, 09:53
I was in the Beta KS since release in Oct/nov 21. It is super fast especially for random areas (random home, inn, castle...) and the exterior that was added a few weeks into march is amazing for the length of time it has been released. The creators are very responsive on their discord channel. for $45 I would buy it without any hesitation.

Yes it imports to FGU (and d20 and foundry) with LoS & doors. You can output top down or very slightly off angle to give a little 3d like effect. They have not finished all thee stretch goals yet but they will make them as free dlc for everyone (except the one or two ultra high KS bonuses that were personalized).

my group did 2ed level 1 of undermountain back in nov. (too big and got clunky in both DA and FGU but with optimizations since then it works betteer) and we kicked out level 2 in 5 sections in like 2 or 3 evenings (matching the original map takes time).

Oh and they have a map output for printing as well.

i can understand why UM is making DA and FGU clunky... it s some decent dungeon. I agree with you reproducing maps takes more time in DA than in Dungeondraft as DA does not have (?yet) a tracing option DD have where you have the original pdf map in the back ground and you just need to draw walls etc over it. The AI is good too, just need to refresh until you get what you want.