PDA

View Full Version : Exploding dice

mcgarnagle
September 30th, 2007, 00:33
I need a hand with Exploding dice. I have taken the script from the Savage Worlds ruleset and it seems to be working fine with one exception:

When ever I roll the max on a die, it rolls the bonus dice, except the result on the dice graphic doesn't match what it says on the chat screen. Perhaps I'm missing a file some where else that will make this work properly?

Just so you know, the only file I copied over was the chat_chat.lua script.

Toadwart
October 18th, 2007, 19:28
Not sure about that ruleset/script but have had occasional glitches during normal (d20) play where a die shows a different result to the value shown in chat.
Assume t's just a graphical glitch and just use whatever value comes up in the chat window.
Actually I assume the player was trying to use a loaded dice and dock him a hefty amount of XP ;)

Incidentally:
Notice it a lot when running host and client on same PC. When the client rolls, the dice often show a different value to that shown on the host copy of the dice (the client value is the one that shows in chat on both sessions though).
Interestingly, it seems to only happen if the dice 'bounce' off the edges of the chat window. If they are just dropped or roll a short distance the host and client both show the same value...

Oberoten
October 18th, 2007, 21:21
It is basically because of the physics simulation, probably they drop some decimals somewhere to speed things up a tad, which means that on certain angles the dice might come down randomly even if they are supposed to come down a perfect clone.

Might screen resolution have anything to do with this?

Griogre
October 18th, 2007, 22:30
Franky, I think it is lag. I'm guessing that the dice is suppose to roll and run through a sequence of numbers for a fixed time period and stop on the result. If for some reason the rolling gets lagged it doesn't make it all the way to the result and stops early in the sequence.

Naturally a high resolution combined with a less powerfull video card might contribute to lag because the VPU can't do the math fast enough for the physics model.