PDA

View Full Version : Building Interior and Exterior View Switch

eporrini
March 28th, 2022, 18:38
Does anyone know of a way to have an external view of a building (such as with a roof) that switches to an internal view if someone enters into the building? I play 5e, but this is likely more of a general question. The only way I have been able to address it is via two maps and map switching.

Jiminimonka
March 28th, 2022, 19:51
Does anyone know of a way to have an external view of a building (such as with a roof) that switches to an internal view if someone enters into the building? I play 5e, but this is likely more of a general question. The only way I have been able to address it is via two maps and map switching.

There is not a way to make it auto-switch but you can make a roof as a layer and turn it off when the players enter.

eporrini
March 28th, 2022, 20:09
There is not a way to make it auto-switch but you can make a roof as a layer and turn it off when the players enter.

If I have two maps, one with roofs and the other without, what’s the best way to make the roof map a layer?

Jiminimonka
March 28th, 2022, 20:10
Drag the roof map onto the other map and make sure its on the top layer.

Mordax Praetorian
March 28th, 2022, 21:26
it took me a long time to work this one out - to be very specific, you want to find your roof layer in the Assets Window and drag it from there into an Image Window with the other map

Layers are a very powerful tool once you get to know them

Booker Grimm
March 29th, 2022, 11:40
Would like it if the Player tokens automatically were able to interact with the new layer, but I have to delete them from the first layer then add them again to the new layer from the combat tracker.

LordEntrails
March 29th, 2022, 16:30
Player tokens should not be on layers. When you drag from the CT they don't get added to a layer like an image asset does. If you're not seeing that, you should post screen shots and steps to reproduce (after verifying with extensions off)

Jiminimonka
March 29th, 2022, 16:39
Would like it if the Player tokens automatically were able to interact with the new layer, but I have to delete them from the first layer then add them again to the new layer from the combat tracker.

You can just drag them from map to map without deleting them first. From the CT is best but usually a CT token dragged between maps work fine.

johnecc
March 29th, 2022, 18:48
Another way to do it using seperate maps is to use the Portals extension, https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/123/view

Using this, you can create portals on the doorway that will move the players token between maps.

Jiminimonka
March 29th, 2022, 19:11
Another way to do it using seperate maps is to use the Portals extension, https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/123/view

Using this, you can create portals on the doorway that will move the players token between maps.

Learn the basics before relying on extensions.