PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Players: [Online][GMT+2][DND2e] Weekly Sandbox Campaign

IceTray
March 28th, 2022, 13:06
Hey there!

I'm about to start a sandbox campaign in a homebrew world that will be created after the players give me some input on what they want to experience in the game.

As of yet, all 4 player spots are still open.

We use the AD&D 2nd Edition system but you don't have to spend the time to read through everything - I've got that covered and will help you as we play. It differs from 5e mainly by not giving all classes magical abilities (magic is more remarkable) and especially at Level 1, your characters are not immediately above and beyond any common NPC. The system is generally focused on the adventure rather than a characters’ raw power level.

There are more details I could go into but for now, I'll give you some quick information right here:

Organization

The limit of 4 players allows for balanced screen time for all player characters.
The first session is scheduled a month into the future in case we need the time to set things up. It could happen in 1 or 2 weeks if everybody is ready beforehand.
There will be weekly sessions of about 3-4 hours each (including 3-5min breaks every hour or so).
I aim for a stable weekly schedule. Using GMT+2, this would either be
- Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, around 06:00 PM to 10:00 PM,
- Saturday, around 10:00 AM to 02:00 PM
- or Sunday, somewhere between 10:00 AM and 10:00 PM.

Structure

This will be a long-term sandbox campaign with optional hooks and optional overarching story arcs. The players decide how to engage with the world and will be confronted with reasonable consequences. No railroading.
The general focus is on the adventure rather than a character's raw power level.
We'll use the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition system (you don't have to learn it), modernized with a lot of house rules that simplify it's more complicated quirks. House rules will make sense and be transparent.
There will be around 30% combat, 70% social interaction/problem solving (less puzzles and more in the way of planning & executing, researching, sneaking around, finding out about stuff etc.).
We won't use tokens or battle grids 80% of the time. In my opinion, it often reduces combat into a two-dimensional hack and slash game. Theatre of mind seems to be more interesting and engaging for players. We can always fall back to drawings and simple tokens if it gets confusing or dangerous for player characters.
We start at level 1 and the group receives XP for pretty much everything that involves risk. You get bonuses for completing quest lines and interesting roleplay.

World

We play in a homebrew world that is created after input from the players regarding what they want to experience in the campaign.
Lower magic setting. Players can play spellcasters and will find magical items, but you won't trip over +10 longswords all the time.
Playable races are generally limited to Humans, Half-Elves, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, and Gnomes. Half-Orcs or other semi-exotic creatures are possible.
Playable classes are generally Fighters, Thieves, Wizards and Clerics. Other classes and variants are possible.

EDIT: The group is already full. Good luck out there!

oriheart
April 1st, 2022, 13:54
I have never played with the aded2 but am interested

IceTray
April 3rd, 2022, 10:06
Sorry oriheart, the group has already formed :(