PDA

View Full Version : FGTabber2 - More space for your FG client

jharp
March 22nd, 2022, 15:02
FGTabber2
Current version 1.0.1 continued from Azostars (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51659) version 0.6.6

What is FGTabber?

FGTabber is an extension which enables you to manage your campaign or character in a way you can personalise, through tabs. You'll feel like you're running 20 clients at once! It adds functionality to your client similar to virtual desktop spaces in various OS's, your new tab will save any windows running inside and you can switch between those tabs with no effort thanks to the tab bar located at the top of the screen. Available on the forge at https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/565/view

Features

Add, rename and remove new tabs
Opened windows are linked to the tab you have open, letting you switch between window groups quickly and efficiently.
Save tabs across sessions
Supports use for both GM and Players
Support for majority rulesets

How to Install

Download FGTabber from the attachments below
Add it to your extensions folder by using the folder button when Fantasy Grounds boots up
Copy the .ext files into the extension directory
Enable the extension and enjoy!

Instructions

Right click the tab bar and select add tab to add a new tab
Right click an existing tab and press edit to edit. Save by clicking another text window or pressing enter.
Right click and existing tab and select delete to remove the tab from your client.
Drag tabs to swap them around or place a shortcut onto your hotbar.
All windows are saved within tabs, any windows opened outside of tabs will be saved temporarily when switching, but will not be there when you reload the game.

Support Information

There are certain aspects of FG which make it difficult to get the data needed to load windows correctly. There are work arounds for this, but it means that I have to manually override some of the ruleset files. I have here an expanding list of rulesets that have full FGTabber support:

PFRPG2

If the ruleset you want to use this extension for isn't listed the extension will still function and work, however you may find that some windows such as sorting windows will become blank upon switching tabs. I will add support for as many rulesets as I can going forward.

Known Issues

If you are updating your FGTabber plugin restart your fantasy grounds client after placing it in your extensions directory, you will lose your tabs, but you will not lose any other campaign data. I have added the functionality to keep your tabs saved after updating in the future, however this will not be implemented completely until after a full 1.0 release.

To do's

Support for more rulesets
Static tabs
Somehow get the state of open windows ( library information )
Add some swanky graphics

Credits

I only support this extension, I did not write it. Therefore, credit must go to Azostars for the original extension. Azostars also gives credit to Gkjsdll and MoonWizard who were both huge helps when setting up the extension. WSX was built by Gkjsdll so a lot of the raw functionality that would've taken me a couple months to script were already completed by himself, giving me a guide to work from.

jharp
March 22nd, 2022, 15:02
Recent Version History

FGTabber2

v1.2.0

Fix: Pathfinder2 bug and anchor for chat window.

v1.1.0

Fix: API changes caused errors in TEST for FGU 4.3.0. Corrected for all FGU versions.

v1.0.1

Fix: Colours for tabs for additional visibility.
Fix: BetterMenus compatibility - BetterMenus sits on top of FGTabber2 so if you have it in the default position you must either move it, or create some bogus tabs to fill the area under the default position.

v1.0.0

Release of 0.6.6 on Forge

v0.6.6

Fix: Users unable to get extension info.

v0.6.5

Feature: Drag and drop support, improved codebase, tab ordering.

Merecraft
March 23rd, 2022, 14:54
This is fantastic, thanks so much for taking on this extension. It's going to make DMing my sessions so much easier!

One request - is it possible to change the colour of the active tab? It's a little hard to tell at a glance. I would have looked at the code myself but the Forge puts the extension into the vault so I can't. Thanks!

jharp
March 23rd, 2022, 15:32
I'll see

eporrini
March 23rd, 2022, 17:25
I believe this extension does is not compatible with the "Better Menus" extension, I get an error when both are running. Any chance that can be fixed?

jharp
March 23rd, 2022, 20:25
I'll look. I know they occupy the same screen real estate so ... I don't know.

Jason

TheDog
March 29th, 2022, 12:47
Just downloaded this from the FGU store (you have to be logged in)
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/565/view

My install was (after selecting above)
Load FGU
Select the FGTabber2 extension before launching my Campaign
When my campaign had loaded just right click just under the Window title of Fantasy Grounds
Setup two tabs Story and Battlemap

Im sure I will add more over time. ;)

This is awesome, I recommend this extension to all GMs and perhaps some players with small screens.

Thanks for providing this most excellent extension.

Weissrolf
April 4th, 2022, 13:37
I'll look. I know they occupy the same screen real estate so ... I don't know.
Problem is not the real estate, but that Better Menus seems to remove the hook FGTabber is using for its own placement.

jharp
April 4th, 2022, 20:54
This is fantastic, thanks so much for taking on this extension. It's going to make DMing my sessions so much easier!

One request - is it possible to change the colour of the active tab? It's a little hard to tell at a glance. I would have looked at the code myself but the Forge puts the extension into the vault so I can't. Thanks!

Version 1.0.1 has this fixed - awaiting forge approval. Any additional colour suggestions are welcome.

jharp
April 4th, 2022, 20:55
I believe this extension does is not compatible with the "Better Menus" extension, I get an error when both are running. Any chance that can be fixed?

Version 1.0.1 has this fixed - awaiting forge approval.

jharp
April 4th, 2022, 20:55
Problem is not the real estate, but that Better Menus seems to remove the hook FGTabber is using for its own placement.

Certainly that was a bit of a problem. Version 1.0.1 has this fixed - awaiting forge approval.

jharp
April 5th, 2022, 15:43
1.0.1 released on forge

Merecraft
April 5th, 2022, 16:05
The tabs are much clearer to read now thanks jharp! :-)

TheDog
April 5th, 2022, 16:21
jharp I must sing your praises.

Prepared 3 BattleMaps a couple of days before the RP session, they were ready to go last night and I just switched tabs and the next battlemap was ready to go, so slick. :)

nephranka
April 5th, 2022, 17:13
I have to concurr. I am glad you picked this up. It has been a QoL benefit for me for some time! Thank you!

jharp
April 5th, 2022, 17:33
I have to concurr. I am glad you picked this up. It has been a QoL benefit for me for some time! Thank you!

You are all very welcome. Again this is not my original extension but I'm happy to give it some tender love and care once in a while.

Jason

jharp
May 26th, 2022, 03:58
My FG Forge account is in restricted mode at the moment. I expect it will be remedied soon but in the meantime I'm not certain what will occur to your ability to use this module. Let me know if it doesn't work anymore.

Jason

Dhragyn
May 26th, 2022, 13:26
Great extension, however, when switching back and forth between tabs whatever window I have open gets kicked to the bottom of the screen with only the top line visible. I'm using this in a 5e module.

jharp
May 26th, 2022, 13:34
Interesting. please post screenshots and I'll look. Im restricted from updates atm so i cant fix presently.

do you run any other extensions? if so pls list.

Jason

BlazingAzureCrow
June 3rd, 2022, 23:02
In a blank campaign with only this extension opened, when I make an image the background (like a map), it covers the chat instead of being behind it.

BlazingAzureCrow
June 18th, 2022, 18:56
Just wanted to follow up since this is a really useful extension. Is there any plan to fix the bug I mentioned before?

jharp
June 19th, 2022, 00:46
Just wanted to follow up since this is a really useful extension. Is there any plan to fix the bug I mentioned before?

Sorry, I missed your original message. I'll take a look.

Jason

Morenu
June 19th, 2022, 19:38
Edit: nvrmind And I redid it a 4th time and now it is fine....

original:

Are there a maximum number of windows than each tab can handle (maybe 9 plus the chatbox?)? I made a Notes tab and filled it with 11 DM rules notes my DM homebrewed for a quick reference tab. it will only remember 9. I shifted their location around an d move the chatbox almost off the screen so nothing overlapped it (the 2 that disappeared were the ones that covered the chat box). after changing tabs and coming back, the 2 that had gone away before were there but 2 others were gone. not sure if the pic helps but this is what I got after moving the chatbox off. before, the left 2 disappeared instead

spencerg
September 25th, 2022, 01:31
Incredible extension, simple and brilliant solution to the real-estate/window problem in FGU. Bravo. I'm actually shocked this isnt implemented officially. Please keep this thing working lol. This is a life-saver for DM's and Players alike.

off-topic, but im wondering what mod/ext people are using to get their quicktool/hotkey bar, to be double/triple stacked, rather than having to shift/alt ect. ect. they have it all up front.

Anyone know where i could find a stable ext. to do this.,

Again, bravo on this - this is just wonderful.

nephranka
September 30th, 2022, 19:21
I was on TEST and I saw this ext was throwing an error. I know it made not matter until it is live but I thought I would pass it along:
[ERROR] Handler error: [string "[FGTabber2] lua/tabUtil.lua"]:59: attempt to call field 'getClass' (a nil value)

Moon Wizard
September 30th, 2022, 20:34
The extension will need to be updated for v4.3. There’s an API change to one particular event that causes this. There are examples in CoreRPG. (Basically, need to change to onWindowClosing, instead of onWindowClosed, for v4.3.)

Regards,
JPG

jharp
September 30th, 2022, 22:04
The extension will need to be updated for v4.3. There’s an API change to one particular event that causes this. There are examples in CoreRPG. (Basically, need to change to onWindowClosing, instead of onWindowClosed, for v4.3.)

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the heads up Moon.

Jason

jharp
September 30th, 2022, 22:05
I was on TEST and I saw this ext was throwing an error. I know it made not matter until it is live but I thought I would pass it along:
[ERROR] Handler error: [string "[FGTabber2] lua/tabUtil.lua"]:59: attempt to call field 'getClass' (a nil value)

Thanks,

I'll take a look.

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2022, 02:28
It would look something like this:

local nMajor, nMinor = Interface.getVersion();
if (nMajor >= 4) and (nMinor >= 3) then
Interface.onWindowClosing = fn;
else
Interface.onWindowClosed = fn;
end

As far as I know, this is the only breaking change that I made to the API; but I knew it would affect a small number of extensions. With this update, there is also an Interface.onWindowClosed event with two parameters (sClass, sDataPath) for after a window has fully closed.

Regards,
JPG

MatrixDreamer
October 3rd, 2022, 15:46
I just loaded this one up, very nice.

Thanks!

jharp
October 12th, 2022, 02:36
v1.1.0 is live.

lozanoje
November 5th, 2022, 18:43
A question: in FGTabber 1 I used to change colours (background and text) for readibility editing the xml files of the extension. Now FGTabber 2 is on the vault and I cant make changes since it is password protected.

Any chance of moving to extensions or, other solution, to create a tiny extension editing the exact keys to change background, text and hover colours to override FGTabber default colours.

A third option would be the hardest one, to implement a menu for that in the UI.

Thanks for updating FGTabber to FGU, jharp, great work!

jharp
November 7th, 2022, 16:12
You should now find it outside the vault.

Jason

lozanoje
November 7th, 2022, 18:48

Jason

I've just updated and FGTabber2 is again in extensions, now I can modify colours again (i like light background colours and dark text colours for better readibility).

Thank you for your quick response and for bringing back FGTabber to life!!!

anstett
November 9th, 2022, 21:44

Jason

Just tried to use this but found a problem.
Updated today to be sure.
When activated in 2nd edition with the Better Menus selected, the menus get overwritten/go missing.

Thanks,

BOB

lozanoje
November 9th, 2022, 22:30
Just tried to use this but found a problem.
Updated today to be sure.
When activated in 2nd edition with the Better Menus selected, the menus get overwritten/go missing.

Thanks,

BOB

Edited: Ops, I didnt understand the exact problem, seems a incompatibility issue of two extensions

jharp
November 10th, 2022, 01:28
Edited: Ops, I didnt understand the exact problem, seems a incompatibility issue of two extensions

See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?73131-FGTabber2-More-space-for-your-FG-client&p=644938&viewfull=1#post644938

You must either move the default position for better menus or (as I do) simply create a couple of fake tabs that then show "a first tab" to the right of the better menus.

Jason

jharp
November 10th, 2022, 01:34
Seems better menu no longer is force to top. So the best solution I know of is to:

1. Launch a 2e without FGTabber2.
2. Move the better menus out of the way.
3. Restart with FGTabber2 enabled.
4. Move the better menus up to top just below FGTabber2.

Jason

Agamon
November 12th, 2022, 16:00
For some reason, the combat tracker is moving off screen to the right whenever there's a tab change. I've tested this in 5e with no extensions and it happens every time...

jharp
November 13th, 2022, 00:19
For some reason, the combat tracker is moving off screen to the right whenever there's a tab change. I've tested this in 5e with no extensions and it happens every time...

LOL. Ok I'll check that out.
Jason

jharp
November 13th, 2022, 00:24

Can you please confirm your version? I'm not seeing that behaviour.

Jason

Agamon
November 13th, 2022, 01:29
Whatever version is on the Forge. Is there something newer elsewhere?

Agamon
November 13th, 2022, 01:46
The extension said it was version 1. I've updated a few times since dling it, but I tried deleting it reupdating it and it looks like it's working now. Thanks for the version clue, that helped.

joeslucher
November 14th, 2022, 18:12
The extension is no longer working for me. I've tried deleting it and re-updating but it still isn't working. Says it's version 1.1.0. I also made a new campaign with no other extensions activated and it doesn't work there either so it doesn't appear to be a conflict.

jharp
November 14th, 2022, 19:34
The extension is no longer working for me. I've tried deleting it and re-updating but it still isn't working. Says it's version 1.1.0. I also made a new campaign with no other extensions activated and it doesn't work there either so it doesn't appear to be a conflict.

As with any issue you will need to provide more information than simply that it doesn't work. You will need to provide any errors you receive, the ruleset, and anything else you think might help.

Jason

joeslucher
November 14th, 2022, 19:57
Seems to be working now after delete and reupdating again. Just checked in a PF2 campaign and it worked fine. Went back to 5e (where it original seemed to have disappeared) and it seems to be working but my tabs from previous sessions disappeared. Is that just going to happen whenever there is an update? Or is that because I deleted the extension and updated?

jharp
November 14th, 2022, 21:23
I've not heard of others loosing tabs but I'm sure there are conditions under which it happens. It is not a common occurrence I don't think.

GEONE
April 17th, 2023, 17:50
I can confirm on 5e that the combat tacker seems to sometimes move off-screen to the top-right when switching tabs (FGTabber2 v1.1.0, no other extensions loaded).

Issue:
The combat tracker is not opened after switching to a tab where it was previously open, and you have to re-open it using the combat tracker button in the Tool menu. After opening it, the combat tracker appears in the far top-right of the desktop, half-off-screen. This whole thing only happens if the combat tracker is moved from its default starting position in the center of the screen. If its left there, the bug doesn't occur.

Steps to reproduce:
Host a new campaign with Tabber2 loaded. Create a new tab or two. Open the combat tracker and move it from its starting postion. Switch from and back to the tab that has the combat tracker opened.
Getting the bug to occur is inconsistent. I'm not sure what's triggering it, but when it does happen, it occurs repeatedly.

Possible cause of the issue:
I assume its position isn't being correctly saved or loaded and its resetting to a default position (0,0) or something along those lines.
I haven't tested with other players connected, but it could possibly be that it's trying to save/load the data of the window class "combattracker" when for the GM, the window is called "combattracker_host"?

EDIT: This also seems to happen for the party sheet (which similarly has its class named "partysheet_host" for the GM and "partysheet" for the players) and the character select screen ("charselect" vs "charselect_host"), so I'm fairly confident that the different class names between host and client is in fact the problem.

Image of the issue:
https://i.imgur.com/1SuGqE3.png
The position the combat tracker ends up in after switching tabs and reopening it

Maldev
April 26th, 2023, 11:27
G'day there.
As of today's update, when the image is put to the background, it now covers the chat window
I played last night and then today after the update.
When extension disabled, there is no problem.
No other extensions
4E d&d ruleset
Win 10 16g Ram
Cheers

Aventhar
June 17th, 2023, 16:17
This extension is fantastic! By far my favorite. Unfortunately I seem to have found a bug.

With FGTabber2, and no other extensions loaded, some of the top buttons on the Items and Spells lists appear blank. When the blank buttons are pressed, an empty window opens, and an error is invoked.

Including screenshots for clarity. I use the PFRPG ruleset, but I also tested and found the same issue in the DnD 5e Ruleset.

I hope it's an easy fix, and Thanks for this Awesome Functionality!

Aventhar
August 2nd, 2023, 23:54
This extension is fantastic! By far my favorite. Unfortunately I seem to have found a bug.

With FGTabber2, and no other extensions loaded, some of the top buttons on the Items and Spells lists appear blank. When the blank buttons are pressed, an empty window opens, and an error is invoked.

Including screenshots for clarity. I use the PFRPG ruleset, but I also tested and found the same issue in the DnD 5e Ruleset.

Is this extension still maintained? Can anyone else confirm the issue I’m seeing? Hey also- I know this is a free extension, but for what it’s worth, I would happily pay for it…

Thanks!

Weissrolf
August 3rd, 2023, 08:24
Yep, unfortunately I had to disable FGTabber because of these problems. Now it's back to "manually open all windows every session, find the correct map and generally do tedious repetitive stuff that a computer could automate easily". :-P

Ludd_G
August 3rd, 2023, 10:06
Hi,

just a QoL thing that I do is to have the basic row of quick slots for all the various windows, which, since they now remember their last position (mostly), makes rebuilding my desktop at the start of a session a breeze. E.G.:

F1 - Next Actor
F2 - Combat Tracker
F3 - Request Rolls
F4 - Stop All - Syrinscape
F5 - Story/Ref Manual Page
F6 - Spells
F7 - NPCs
F8 - Images
F9 - Items
F10 - Effects
F11 - Party Sheet
F12 - Syrinscape

I tend to make base campaigns with this setup for each rule system (5e, PF2e, CoC, Vaesen etc.) which I set up once then copy and rename when starting a new campaign. I have the Spells, NPCs, Images, Items, Effects windows open in the same place and size as I never need to see more than one of those at a time, and just open/close them as need with their F key.

I also find these 2 extensions invaluable when using this setup - Single Window (with Images the only type set to off - Ctrl/Click will open a new, separate, window of any type) and CT Open on Turn (set to always open, never close). This means that I can also have both the character's sheets and the NPC sheets open automatically on their turn, in their own space on the monitor, but not close until another sheet of their type (PC/NPC) is opened when Single Window automatically closes the pervious sheet. The sheets also remember their position as long as you don't close them down manually.

So this is how I now set stuff up which gets my screen set up within a few seconds of launching a session.

I know this doesn't replace the basic functionality of FGTabber but it does allow at least one set-up to be easily recallable, and makes organising my sessions less frustrating.

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Simon

Maldev
August 11th, 2023, 05:37
G'day there.
As of today's update, when the image is put to the background, it now covers the chat window
No other extensions
4E d&d ruleset
Win 10 16g Ram
Cheers

G'day, Is this a thing for anyone else?
For me it makes it hard to use if it blocks the chat window..

jharp
September 22nd, 2023, 19:04
Is this extension still maintained? Can anyone else confirm the issue I’m seeing? Hey also- I know this is a free extension, but for what it’s worth, I would happily pay for it…

Thanks!

I'll take a look at the extension. Hopefully it is a quick fix.
Jason

jharp
September 22nd, 2023, 19:31
I can confirm on 5e that the combat tacker seems to sometimes move off-screen to the top-right when switching tabs (FGTabber2 v1.1.0, no other extensions loaded).

Issue:
The combat tracker is not opened after switching to a tab where it was previously open, and you have to re-open it using the combat tracker button in the Tool menu. After opening it, the combat tracker appears in the far top-right of the desktop, half-off-screen. This whole thing only happens if the combat tracker is moved from its default starting position in the center of the screen. If its left there, the bug doesn't occur.

Steps to reproduce:
Host a new campaign with Tabber2 loaded. Create a new tab or two. Open the combat tracker and move it from its starting postion. Switch from and back to the tab that has the combat tracker opened.
Getting the bug to occur is inconsistent. I'm not sure what's triggering it, but when it does happen, it occurs repeatedly.

Possible cause of the issue:
I assume its position isn't being correctly saved or loaded and its resetting to a default position (0,0) or something along those lines.
I haven't tested with other players connected, but it could possibly be that it's trying to save/load the data of the window class "combattracker" when for the GM, the window is called "combattracker_host"?

EDIT: This also seems to happen for the party sheet (which similarly has its class named "partysheet_host" for the GM and "partysheet" for the players) and the character select screen ("charselect" vs "charselect_host"), so I'm fairly confident that the different class names between host and client is in fact the problem.

Image of the issue:
https://i.imgur.com/1SuGqE3.png
The position the combat tracker ends up in after switching tabs and reopening it

I've tried this and I don't get what you mentioned (but it was a while ago). What I have noticed is that there appears to be a bug where you can click on a tab and add stuff to that tab. If you click the same tab again (it toggles) and you have another storage slot for windows. I'll try to repeat for the next few minutes to get any repeat of your issues.
Jason

EDIT - Please confirm this issue remains.

jharp
September 22nd, 2023, 19:35
G'day there.
No other extensions
4E d&d ruleset
Win 10 16g Ram
Cheers

Confirmed. Will look to fix.

EDIT - Fixed in v1.2.0

jharp
September 22nd, 2023, 19:40

I don't get the error message but I do get the missing text. I'll look into it.
Jason

EDIT - v1.2.0 fixes this for Pathfinder 2e and I could not repeat the gear text issue in 5e. Believe they are both working.

jharp
September 23rd, 2023, 04:31
v1.2.0 released

Aventhar
September 24th, 2023, 23:02
v1.2.0 released

Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Thank you!