PDA

View Full Version : LFG: Available Thursday or Friday. Any system, long term game only

Shock
March 20th, 2022, 13:46
Looking for a game with a generally serious tone, I like to laugh and have fun during the game I just don't want it to super casual and nothing but Monty python jokes and non-stop goofing around. That use to be fun but I want something more than that. I want a group that takes interest in each others characters and makes multidimensional characters with flaws and maybe even a character arc rather than some boring one dimensional cliché or a flawless self insert, designed to stroke their ego. In my opinion characters need to start from humble origins for a good story. I'm not a fan of monster race PCs, 1 in a group with a good and believable backstory is fine but when the group is full of pixies, minotaur's, half-angels, half-demons and half-dragons it destroys the verisimilitude of the setting. It's the difference between Lord of the Rings and a cartoon made for children.

I like to collaborate with GM and fellow players to make a backstory that fits the campaign and gives a reason to have strong loyalty to at least some of the other group members from the start. It isn't mandatory but it does help a lot with RPing why your character is willing to situations that they normally wouldn't.

I need a GM allows events to unfold organically and who can adapt to innovative ideas without metagaming to rescue their planned encounter. Examples: Multiple characters collaborated to guarantee a successful Banishment of a Beholder, so the GM homebrewed the Beholder to have legendary resistances specifically to ruin the plan. In another example a character found the campaigns main villains boning each other and realized they were at a significant disadvantage while naked and unsuspecting. When the PCs started planning an early attack on their weakened target the GM invented(on the spot) a patrol to derail the players plans. As soon as I realize a GM is doing this I just can't enjoy the game anymore because our decisions don't actually matter if the GM is going to engineer the outcome anyway. Sure Banishing a beholder may not be as exciting as a 6 round knock down drag out fight but their are much worse consequences than trivializing that one encounter. There are better ways to handle the situation, not to mentioned having that same Beholder track down the party at a later date for revenge armed with the knowledge of the PCs capabilities is 100 times more fun than just destroying player agency for the sake of a single encounter.

That being said I believe in GM fiat and accept their decisions, right or wrong. If I have an issue with it I will bring it up at a later time, outside of game.

Available Thursday or Friday US time zones. Friday/Sat Aus/NZ time zones.

Japzer
March 28th, 2022, 04:01