PDA

View Full Version : seperate campains

Kunsgnos
September 27th, 2007, 02:44
Heres the back story. I have been working on a campain on my laptop that has been having a problum with the battery. The problum was getting worse and worse and I knew I had to get it fixed soon but I didnt want to stop working on my campain. I have been planning and now with a good reason I got a desktop. With my shiny cheap walmart computer I went home to throw the campain from my laptop on it. but by some strange twist of fate, the problum became fatal and I can't work my laptop. Sadly I brought it in to the computer store. Its a easy fix but it will take two weeks to fix.

Hears what I want to do. Can I work on my campain on my desktop and when my laptop comes back can I put the new desktop info into the laptop campain.

Note: I'm rather computer illiterate so if it has really complicated code stuff in it dont worry to much about it. I'll just type out notes and plug the details in when I bring the campain over.

2nd Note: The laptop's OS is XP and the new computer's is Vista. Could there be a problum when I bring the campain over?

Final Note: can someone try logging on to me just to make sure my new comp is ok to GM. Alias: meek fang huge keep

Griogre
September 27th, 2007, 04:11
Could not connect to host. Not sure if you still are up.

You would have to combine the XML by hand if you wanted to combine info in the same campaign. You could make an adventure module and import it into the campaign, though.

Kunsgnos
September 27th, 2007, 04:55
I opened port 1802 I think. what does bringing a adventure module mean?

Griogre
September 27th, 2007, 07:12
You also need to port forward 1802 to your computer hosting the the game.

You can use a campaign to export an adventure module. This adventure module can be activated by the DM like any other module. When you do so the module data becomes available to any other campaigns that wish to activate the module is.

To see how this works try starting a new campaign - call it TestModule. Once the campaign opens click on the red story book and then the new tab. In the storybook entry that pops up type Title of Module Entry and in the body type Test entry. Close the entry.

At the bottom of the chat box type /export - this should cause a popup window to appear. In Name type Test Module Name. Press tab. Under File Name type TestModule. Press tab and type your name in.

Then click on the circles next to Story, Images & Maps, Personalities and Items in the middle of the popup in Exported Data. See How the H in each catagory is automatically checked. This is what you want.

Right click on the popup window and select Export (the one at 6 o'clock). You should get a message in the chat window saying Module exported successfully.

Close FG. Restart FG and this time select any d20 campaign to start other than TestModule. Make a another new one if you wish. Once it loads, click on the tan button in the top right with a book on it. If you hover your mouse over the right button it will say modules. Click this button. It will pop up the Module Activation window. You should amoung the list of modules the one you just made called "Test Module Name" with your Name under the title. Double click to the left of the module name in the blank space where the other modules have blue or green books. The brown book on the right should open.

Once the module is open click on the red story book. You should see Title of Module Entry in the story book. Click on it and it you will see the Test body.

That's how you make modules. They are useful in a long term campaign because you can move them in and out by activating or unactivating the modules. That way if you start a campaign at first level you won't still have all the old first level adventures cluttering up the campaign. It also allows you to keep the PC characters in one place without having to move them.

There's alot more to modules but making adventure ones is easy.

Kunsgnos
September 28th, 2007, 01:13
Thanks Griogre. Did I ever tell you that you kick ***? now the port 1802 part again for me. I am going to leave the game on for like the next six hours for anyone that wants to try the alias above again. I think I fixed it this time. but I thought that before.

Griogre
September 28th, 2007, 01:20
You're welcome. I tried to connect at the meek fang huge keep alias with no luck.