PDA

View Full Version : LFG 1 Player LF Weeknight or Weekend Game EST US Time Zone D&D5E

FrothyBathWater
March 14th, 2022, 22:12
I am an inexperienced player looking for first game!

I have FG Free.
Playing out of EST US time zone
Prefer to play Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday (highest priority is Saturday). I would like a weekly or bi-weekly game.
I would like to play for a while as I think that the game would get better the more comfortable the group gets with one another.
I have discord and skype. I would prefer to use discord, but am willing to download other software to facilitate gaming.
Looking to play D&D5E.
I have 0 experience with FG. I am learning as I type.

About me: I am 31, work full time, and dedicate my free time to Magic: The Gathering and home brewing mead. I have always been interested in D&D, but never made the leap. I would be most interested in a story/campaign that centered around the Icewind Dale or other areas from the Forgotten Realms as those locations were my introduction to Fantasy books many years ago. I like high fantasy, as well as steam-punk, so I would not be opposed to something in that genre. I am interested in playing a physical class over a spell-slinger for my first character, but I am more than willing to be flexible to what the party needs.

genokahn
March 17th, 2022, 00:20
Greetings, Frothy! I am saying "Hello" because I hate it when folks post on here and go unanswered. I want to DM a weekly or bi-weekly game on FGU for new players who want to learn the game and FGU without peer pressure or judgement. It seems difficult to gather a group of two or more folks on here to start a game as each person has varying time zones and days/times they can play as well as different requests for game version, genre, world setting, etc. I sincerely hope you find a game and enjoy 5E and FGU.

FrothyBathWater
March 17th, 2022, 00:40
Thank you for the "hello" and kind wishes. What style of game are you hoping to DM? I would be interested in trying other scenarios, despite my ties to Icewind Dale! If you still need players, I would like to see if our schedules matched so that I could support your play group!

genokahn
March 17th, 2022, 00:53
Were you able to get a seat on the Rime of the Frostmaiden game? That seems like a good fit for the Icewind Dale setting. I have several modules ready that are set in Faerun - mainly around Waterdeep (and under Waterdeep). I also have a short module that takes place in Longsaddle and the Neverwinter Wood. I am finishing a "homebrew" module set in the Border Kingdoms where I have thrown together a couple of 1st and 2nd edition D&D modules along with my own encounters and storyline. I am looking to have a game on Tues, Wed, or Thurs nights for a couple of hours (7ish to 11ish time frame).

FrothyBathWater
March 17th, 2022, 01:05
I have not heard back about Rime of the Frostmaiden. You are the first person to chat with me at all on here or any other site. I didn't realize that finding a game would actually take a while. Tues and Thurs would work for me if you have room. I am familiar with Neverwinter and Waterdeep as well. I can also be at the mercy of the group. I just want to get started, so if you or the rest of the group want to do another setting, I will be just as happy.

genokahn
March 17th, 2022, 01:16
Currently you are "the group", Frothy. I will see if I can't get at least one other person good for Tuesday nights. What time works for you?

FrothyBathWater
March 17th, 2022, 01:24
Anytime after 6pm EST should be fine! I really appreciate you reaching out.

GunnarGreybeard
March 17th, 2022, 02:24
You are the first person to chat with me at all on here or any other site. I didn't realize that finding a game would actually take a while.

Many people on here, except a lot of the newer ones already seem to have established groups so it can take a while to find an opening. The best option may be to group up with new players who are also looking for a group and one of you volunteer to GM.

Rottamus
March 19th, 2022, 03:02
Many people on here, except a lot of the newer ones already seem to have established groups so it can take a while to find an opening. The best option may be to group up with new players who are also looking for a group and one of you volunteer to GM.

I am a newb to FG. But not a noob to D&D. Played it starting with 3.5 and have followed it up. Played DDO for a time but my Internet connection here in rural North Carolina isn't friendly to towers or change. So... I think this will be a better shot.I can roll any role you would need.I typically play support characters such as Clerics, Druids, and some spell slingers. But have a rogue (halfling) that makes a mean trap monster and loves taking things apart. I am disabled and list in mid-Atlantic area such as Carolinas. So my schedule is open. I am a widower living with my Mon. So my time is flexible. I would love to play two but at least once per week.
PM me back in you need anymore reference or questions.

Rottamus Lightbourne.

genokahn
March 19th, 2022, 03:50
Greetings and well met, Rottamus! Thanks for reaching out. I was going to reply to your post from a few days ago but got distracted.

I have Frothy and one other if the day and time is right. So you as a third would be perfect. I am thinking Tuesday evenings from 7:30 to 10:30 EST (Ohio here). If that works for everyone. At a minimum, we could link up some night and test play 5E on FGU to get you acclimated.

Genokahn (DM)

Rottamus
March 19th, 2022, 06:04
Sounds like an great plan. I had FG Classic with the full lifetime subscription, but I upgraded to Unity with ultimate edition. My problem is figuring o'ut out to present maps, story content and some of the game mechanics. I started playing as a teenager when it was 2.5 version. But I will pick it up quickly. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Let me know when group makes a decision, and I will be ready. Is a Cleric ok or would rather a mix like a Bard.
I do very well at thievery and fairy good Rogue i'n the oast.
Thanks
Rottamus

P.A., if you need my allignment change from CG to LG, or LN. Just me know.

FrothyBathWater
March 19th, 2022, 14:06
Tuesdays at 730 work for me.

genokahn
March 19th, 2022, 14:38
Rottamus & Frothy,
Looks like we are a go to try Tuesdays at 7:30pm EST. Shall we start this Tuesday March 22nd?

Rottamus - cleric works for me. Bard also okay. No evil alignment characters please. 5E has a lot of similarities to 2.5 and 3.5 editions.

Frothy - any character or race is okay. But please, no laser pistol slinging artificers or psionic powered demi-gods :) I like a more "realistic" and challenging adventure.

I use discord for voice (no camera necessary) and FGU for gameplay. Does that work for both of you? I am flexible if something else works for voice, etc.

Look forward to meeting you both and at least tinkering around with FGU and hopefully help you learn FGU and 5E.

Gene (DM)

FrothyBathWater
March 19th, 2022, 14:48
Haha no worries about janky characters. I only have the PHB. I've started working on a dwarf Druid. This Tuesday is good for me. Discord is also good. And I have FG free subscription. Do I need to upgrade?

genokahn
March 19th, 2022, 15:11
Dwarf druid sounds great. You will need to upgrade to FGU but just need the free version. I have Ultimate and will host as DM of course. So one fool has already parted with his money...twice (FG and upgrade to FGU). Lol!

My Discord is odysseus68#0307

I will post game under genokahn on public server and password protect. Will meet on Discord and give you password from there.

Rottamus
March 19th, 2022, 16:45
Dwarf druid sounds great. You will need to upgrade to FGU but just need the free version. I have Ultimate and will host as DM of course. So one fool has already parted with his money...twice (FG and upgrade to FGU). Lol!

I will post game under genokahn on public server and password protect. Will meet on Discord and give you password from there.

Tuesday work just fine. I fo have some medical procedure next mouth through Oct. But the doctor does not know. I'll then let you'll know when available and I lnowsomerhing definitel.
So at this time I will be a chaotic good elvin cleric.
Ok to start at one, or do you need somethi,something, else called up.

Thanks,
Rott

Rottamus
March 19th, 2022, 16:52

Tuesday work just fine. I fo have some medical procedure next mouth through Oct. But the doctor does not know when let you'll know when available of thir come up.
So at this time I will be a chaotic good elvin cleric.
Ok to start at one, or do you need somethi,something, else called up.

Thanks,
Rott

genokahn
March 19th, 2022, 20:04
Please create first level characters. Thanks.

FrothyBathWater
March 19th, 2022, 20:30
Not a problem. Does FGU have a character sheet that we can access? Also, what's the difference in FGU and FG? You said earlier that I would need to upgrade

genokahn
March 19th, 2022, 23:36
FGU (Unity) is the newer version of FG. Eventually FG will probably go away. FGU adds functionality such as dynamic lighting, a map tool and a few other things. FGU looks very similar to FG so there isn't a big learning curve to learn a whole new system. I have not messed around with the dynamic lighting. You only need the basic free version of FGU to join my game.

Once in the FGU launch menu there is a place to manage and create characters. You can then send me the xml file for your character OR we can create your character together in my game. This is a learn as we go exercise so no worries.

FrothyBathWater
March 20th, 2022, 01:17
I downloaded FGU. It is not showing a game created by you yet. I also added you on discord. My discord is: GraveYardGary (EST)#5552

GunnarGreybeard
March 20th, 2022, 01:39
I downloaded FGU. It is not showing a game created by you yet. I also added you on discord. My discord is: GraveYardGary (EST)#5552

You'll only be able to see and join when he has his campaign 'active/online'. He'll have to give you any additional connection info before that such as the campaign name (or GM name).

If you haven't already connected to a campaign before, you may want to review the following video > https://youtu.be/UemN5_WY7rE?t=519 which should start at the appropriate section for joining campaigns.

genokahn
March 20th, 2022, 14:44
Thanks for the helpful tips and advice, Gunnar. Much appreciated!

Frothy: Thanks for the friend request on Discord. I have accepted.

There are a lot of great videos on Youtube for how to do things in FGU and D&D5E. As Gunnar points out, the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UemN5_WY7rE shows how to get started with FGU including how to create a character starting at time index 23:00min (the video has sections named on the playback timeline so very easy to navigate).

In FGU, to create a character you must first create a campaign. Just name it "My Sandbox" or something. Once you are in the newly created campaign you can create characters. Again the video does a great job of demonstrating this.
Once you have created a character, you can export the character file as an .xml file and send it to me using discord and I will upload into game.
This video is a very nice short video explaining character creation and exporting in FGU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30o7jjJpLoo

thunderhammer
March 20th, 2022, 18:29
Hi All,

Genokahn was gracious enough to respond to my LFG post and suggest I join your group. I would love to if you will have me.

My Character Idea:
I am developing a Dwarf Ranger with the spy background who has given up his roguish ways. I'm thinking he starts as a LVL 1 rouge, then takes ranger after that. I am open to using a different race if we think its better for the group.
Check my character out at https://ddb.ac/characters/70293017/jthx5D

A bit about me:
I'm a 41-year-old college student studying graphic design. I have watched/listened to many hours of others playing d&d gameplay, and I'm ready to start playing.

I also love a good story and coming up with them. I will often come up with some random characters and think about what they went through to get to where they are and how they will handle various situations. I can quickly get in the head of a character and know-how they would act in every situation. I will bring this ability to focus on my character's motivations and thoughts and play doing what they would do instead of what I think is best for them to do.

Though I will put a good part of my attention to roleplaying the character, I will not neglect to be proficient in battle. These are some of the funniest and most gripping parts of the games I have watched others play.

I will bring my creativity and desire for others to enjoy themselves as much or more than myself to every session.

genokahn
March 20th, 2022, 18:46
Thunder,
Welcome aboard. Will be using FGU to play. You only need the Free version to create a character and join my game. Will use Discord for voice. You can friend me at odysseus68#0307 on Discord.

thunderhammer
March 20th, 2022, 18:50
I just sent a friend request.

genokahn
March 20th, 2022, 19:54
I have added you. I will send an invite to my Discord game server soon. Need to get Rottamus added. Then we can correspond thru messaging and chat on Discord.

VivaLeGrubblax
March 25th, 2022, 21:35
Hey Frothy,
So check it, I'm about to run a game using the Pathfinder system. It's built off of the old DnD 3.5 edition. Super fun, technical, but not hard to learn. We play on discord and I own the FGU Ultimate License so no need to upgrade or buy anything. Hit me up, we'll get the ball rolling, actually started last week Tuesday, but it'll be easy to squeeze you in. Very open group of guys, low pressure learning.
Running through the Underdark. It's a slightly different vibe than the forgotten realms underdark, but I also am a big fan of the salvatore books, and you'll find many familiar names in my campaign. We're all in our 30s, full time jobs and lives, but we get together weekly to play fantasy. I have two games going right now, A tuesday WestCoast game starting at 7 pm PST and a Wednesday EastCoast game starting at 4pm pst. Those are the options presently, I'd love to hear back from you.