PDA

View Full Version : SW bursts and cones

Sgain
September 24th, 2007, 16:54
Hi all;

I was just wondering what other DM's are using for the burst areas and cones for effects (and some encounters) in their games. I've been playing with the pointers, but they aren't really quick and easy to move around and I'd rather have some sort of re-sizable token that I could put down on the maps and quickly remove if its no longer needed.

Any ideas?

cya

Sgain

Kalan
September 24th, 2007, 17:39
The problem with using tokens for the templates is that in FG (right now anyways), tokens don't work quite right to use tokens for the templates (they don't stack quite right on the maps).

I use the Pointers myself in all games, and they work just fine (once they are set, you can move them around). Just keep in mind (when using the SW ruleset at least), a small is 1", med is 2", large is 3" when the grid is active. And a cone is 9" long.

Hope that makes sense :)

V

Sgain
September 24th, 2007, 19:03
Sadly the cone shape is too wide, and I would want them as 'in place' type tools that I could just grab, quick resize, and place on a map. I think that would be the quickest and truest to the style of play that SW usually encourages. Still I'm getting more used to playing with the pointers and they are cool.

joshuha
September 24th, 2007, 19:13
The problem with built in cones and templates is what scale to use?

For instance, the default portrait tokens that FG uses are 30x30 pixels but some people like 50x50 as the default size. Plus even then, if the grid size on the map is different 2 inches pixel wise might not match the template.

Sgain
September 24th, 2007, 20:08
yah the scaling is a real problem, its too bad that the standard tokens can't somehow be linked to the map grid scale and automatically update their size. In my PnP SW game we've got 2 sets of templates, a full color set for 'downed' effects and a translucent one that we can put over the figures on the battlemat to see it they are affected.

I'm kind of concerned about using the pointers in the game as I think it will slow down the game to have the players create or me create blast tokens, then rescale them, and re-position them on the map.

It's hard to say if it will be a problem as I haven't run any sessions yet, so I'll just wait to see what happens.

Thanks for the input guys.