PDA

View Full Version : Spell Automation help

Zerogt00
March 1st, 2022, 03:37
Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to teach myself about all of the automation in the pathfinder 2e character sheet/ruleset on unity and I was hoping that someone would be able to direct me to where I can find more of an explanation for some of these fields. I already have separate tabs open with the wiki concerning effects and automation. With that and looking at what's already automated, I'm understanding most of it so far, but I ran into an issue that I need clarification on with some spells.

The "Dice Multiplier" field on the "Spell/Ability Damage" window, from my understanding is where the increase from heightening spells is determined. The cantrip Acid Splash doesn't seem to have anything in that field even though there is heightening for it, same with Magic Missile. Then several cantrips have damage that heightens at +1 and the field has "Odd CLs", while the Burning Hands spell has that same +1 heightening but the field says "Spell Level". For this last one, is it the difference between cantrips and 1st level spells?

I'm currently looking at this directly from the spell list, so it is not through a character's spell book where the heightening would already be applied.

Thanks for any help clearing this up for me.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2022, 04:26
Welcome to the FG forums!

Cantrips aren't prepared at different spell levels, they automatically heighten based off the caster level (CL) hence why CL is usually used in the spell damage actions.

Spells that aren't cantrips are heightened if they're prepared/added to a higher spell slot, spell level in the spell damage action is used to adjust based off the spell slot level the spell resides in.

There's no heightened code for acid splash because the 3rd/5th/7th and 9th level changes can't current be automated. There's no heightening code for magic missile because the heightening allows you to cast more magic missiles, not do more damage per missile.

Zerogt00
March 1st, 2022, 07:05
Okay, thanks!

That all makes sense.