PDA

View Full Version : How do I "Embed" a Custom Background into the Character Sheet

Minty23185Fresh
February 28th, 2022, 23:01
I wish to create a custom background (which I know how to do) but instead of it residing in

<root>
<background>

I would prefer to have it reside in

<root>
<charsheet>
<id-00001>
<background>

The reason is portability into pick up games.

When I create a character with a custom background, the background is saved in <root><background> and a link to that background is saved in my <root><charsheet><id-00001><background>

When I export my character and bring it to a pick up game, I have to do one of the following because the custom background is not exported with the character. The custom background name is there but not the details.

So I have to:
(1) recreate the background in the pick up game campaign
(2) ask the DM to edit their db.xml file and add the custom background
(3) export my custom background into a module and ask the DM to load or allow loading of the module

None of these are palatable or even reasonable solutions.

I've tried a variety of cuts-and-pastes of the <background> construct into the character sheet xml without success.

Is it possible and I am simply doing it wrong?

Moon Wizard
February 28th, 2022, 23:53
The built in sheets won’t do that. (And I’m assuming 5E ruleset.) It just stores a link to the background and the name.

You could just export the custom background as a player module; and then ask the GM to approve it.

Regards,
JPG

Minty23185Fresh
March 1st, 2022, 00:32
I was afraid of that, thanks Moon Wizard