PDA

View Full Version : Driving me crazy!

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 06:40
Could anyone create, or does anyone know about, an extension that would automatically fit images to the window when they are shared by the DM? Right now every image shared is so small and I have to manually fit shared images to the window each time. It's not hard to do, it's just super annoying and seems like something that could be easily fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Springroll
February 28th, 2022, 07:15
It's up to the GM/DM, if the DM sizes the image before sharing it it will show at that size to the players

WinterSoldier7
February 28th, 2022, 11:53
How are you resizing?

When I import an image, there is a single button you can press which stretches the image to the full window size. If you're not aware of what is it, I can open up the programme and screenshot it for you.

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 15:48
It's up to the GM/DM, if the DM sizes the image before sharing it it will show at that size to the players

I'm using FGU playing 5e. So I am the DM, and it doesn't seem to matter if I fit the image to the window before sharing it. The image always shows up way zoomed out to the players. I've even tried logging into my own campaign as a player with no luck.

I even emailed fantasy grounds customer support directly and this is what they said:

"Hello,

Thank you for using Fantasy Grounds!

No, there isn’t a way to share the map the same way you see it. If you would like the players to zoom in on a particular spot on the map, you could add their tokens from the combat tracker, and the map will center on their token.

Have a great week, and if I can be of further assistance, please let me know."

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 15:51
How are you resizing?

When I import an image, there is a single button you can press which stretches the image to the full window size. If you're not aware of what is it, I can open up the programme and screenshot it for you.

Hello,

So I know about that button. It's great. I use it all the time. I'm just looking for an extension or something so I don't have to hit that button everytime an image is shared. A way that button is automatically hit for me each time an image is shared.

Thanks

WinterSoldier7
February 28th, 2022, 15:51
Oh, ok. I've not signed-in as a player to confirm so I may have been assuming the players got a full screen image as I had previously zoomed-in to show.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2022, 15:55
open image, (size window as desired), Toggle Toolbar > Zoom to Fit

You can also Right Click > View Zoom to Fit, or Zoom to Fill, or Reset Zoom.

As well, in the Play controls of the image control panel is Zoom to Extents.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640166/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 15:59
open image, (size window as desired), Toggle Toolbar > Zoom to Fit

Yes, that button is great and I use it all the time. But I'm looking for a way that button would automatically be clicked everytime an image is shared. It's just a pain to click that button constantly, since every image shared is always very zoomed out.

Thanks

Springroll
February 28th, 2022, 16:03
Then I'm sorry if I led you astray, I'm always the DM myself and have only tested it logged in as a player an then if I change the size of an image it will retain this size to my player view

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 16:06
Then I'm sorry if I led you astray, I'm always the DM myself and have only tested it logged in as a player an then if I change the size of an image it will retain this size to my player view

Weird, in FGU 5e, for me and my players, any images I share are always zoomed out. It doesn't matter if I Zoom into the image before sharing it.

Thanks

Trenloe
February 28th, 2022, 16:15
I'm not aware of an extension that does this (doesn't mean there isn't one). The FG image control API (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996645070/imagecontrol) doesn't have a command to imitate pressing that button, so it may not be possible to replicate its exact functionality with the FG API commands available to an extension.

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 16:18
I'm not aware of an extension that does this (doesn't mean there isn't one). The FG image control API (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996645070/imagecontrol) doesn't have a command to imitate pressing that button, so it may not be possible to replicate its exact functionality with the FG API commands available to an extension.

Interesting. Well hopefully some clever individual can figure something out.

WinterSoldier7
February 28th, 2022, 17:15
Does anyone know why it does this? I just assumed my imported images were different dimensions or something...

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2022, 17:42
I just tested this by joining my own game and whatever zoom level I have set the map to as GM is what the players see when the image is shared. This could be because I joined my own game rather than joined remotely so I'm not sure. Not sure either why your players should be zoomed out. One thing is what do you mean by zoomed out. I imagine that the image is a little dot (more or less) in the middle of a large gray image; or do you mean that the image isn't zoomed in to the same zoom level that you've set. Maybe a screenshot or two might help.

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 18:12
I just tested this by joining my own game and whatever zoom level I have set the map to as GM is what the players see when the image is shared. This could be because I joined my own game rather than joined remotely so I'm not sure. Not sure either why your players should be zoomed out. One thing is what do you mean by zoomed out. I imagine that the image is a little dot (more or less) in the middle of a large gray image; or do you mean that the image isn't zoomed in to the same zoom level that you've set. Maybe a screenshot or two might help.

I'm using FGU 5e. Here is an example video. You can clearly see the problem at 24:57 - 25:05. The image was fully fitted to the window and zoomed in on my fantasy grounds application when I shared it. But as you can see in the video, the players receive a very zoomed out image. The issue happens everytime I share an image with the players.

https://www.twitch.tv/5entertainment/v/1303831053?sr=a&t=0s

I want all the images I share, as the DM, to automatically be fitted to the players window.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2022, 18:26
No way to automate what you are wanting without an extension. Some questions though...
Are you streaming a player view? Running on the same computer as the GM? What are the screen resolutions of the GM and the streaming client?
I thought that images would open at the window size and zoom level that they were last opened/closed with. Been a long time since I've payed attention to that though.

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 18:32
No way to automate what you are wanting without an extension. Some questions though...
Are you streaming a player view? Running on the same computer as the GM? What are the screen resolutions of the GM and the streaming client?
I thought that images would open at the window size and zoom level that they were last opened/closed with. Been a long time since I've payed attention to that though.

Yes I'm streaming an instance of fantasy grounds that shows the player view on the same computer I'm running another instance of fantasy grounds as the GM.

The resolution of fantasy grounds depends on the monitor. Each monitor i use is a bit different. Also I scale the ui of fantasy grounds differently to fit each monitor.

As the player, It doesn't seem to matter if I have opened the image and zoomed it to fit the window before. It always opens zoomed out when shared by the DM.

If there was an extension that would automatically zoom the image to fit the window, when it's shared by the DM, that would be perfect.

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2022, 19:03
I can't say what the issue might be or if it's as I say something to do with the fact I'm joining my own game; but as you can see from the images below there's no difference between what the DM is seeing and what the image looks like to players when the image is shared. It may be because the scale is different (both my monitors are set to the same scale). Or it could be something to do with the broadcvasting software; I'm not sure. I'm not even sure as I say if normally images retain their state when the DM shares it.

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 19:09
I can't say what the issue might be or if it's as I say something to do with the fact I'm joining my own game; but as you can see from the images below there's no difference between what the DM is seeing and what the image looks like to players when the image is shared. It may be because the scale is different (both my monitors are set to the same scale). Or it could be something to do with the broadcvasting software; I'm not sure. I'm not even sure as I say if normally images retain their state when the DM shares it.

Interesting. It definitely doesn't seem to work that way for me. If its the ui scale of fantasy grounds or the monitor resolution, I don't have a way to match the resolution of the 2 monitors or the amount I scale the ui of fantasy grounds on each monitor. So I would need some type of extension to fix things, I think.

Sulimo
February 28th, 2022, 19:43
Interesting. It definitely doesn't seem to work that way for me. If its the ui scale of fantasy grounds or the monitor resolution, I don't have a way to match the resolution of the 2 monitors or the amount I scale the ui of fantasy grounds on each monitor. So I would need some type of extension to fix things, I think.

I think the scaleui is the source of your troubles.

I would not have thought you could have two different scaleui settings on the same computer. That likely leads to some odd behavior like what you are seeing.

A quick test confirms my suspicions.

I had to set an extreme example.

On the GM side it's scaleui 200, while on the player side it's scaleui 100. Once I shared the map from the GM side, it was indeed zoomed in on the Player side. Click on picture for a larger version.

https://i.imgur.com/s98xuRkh.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/s98xuRk.jpg)

I would guess that the developers would have to weigh in here if it is intended behavior or not.

Steps to recreate:

1. Load Campaign (I loaded the 5E sample campaign).
2. Scale UI to something other than 100 (my example above used 200).
3. Load a second instance
4. Join the first instance as a player
5. Scale UI to 100 on the player instance (/scaleui 100)
6. Open an image on the GM side (I used BattleMap01 from the sample campaign)
7. Share the map to the player
8. You should see the difference.

I've never had the need to do this as both my monitors are exactly the same model and resolution. However, it is possible to recreate it with this type of setup.

gamertime100
February 28th, 2022, 20:08
I think the scaleui is the source of your troubles.

I would not have thought you could have two different scaleui settings on the same computer. That likely leads to some odd behavior like what you are seeing.

A quick test confirms my suspicions.

I had to set an extreme example.

On the GM side it's scaleui 200, while on the player side it's scaleui 100. Once I shared the map from the GM side, it was indeed zoomed in on the Player side. Click on picture for a larger version.

https://i.imgur.com/s98xuRkh.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/s98xuRk.jpg)

I would guess that the developers would have to weigh in here if it is intended behavior or not.

Steps to recreate:

1. Load Campaign (I loaded the 5E sample campaign).
2. Scale UI to something other than 100 (my example above used 200).
3. Load a second instance
4. Join the first instance as a player
5. Scale UI to 100 on the player instance (/scaleui 100)
6. Open an image on the GM side (I used BattleMap01 from the sample campaign)
7. Share the map to the player
8. You should see the difference.

I've never had the need to do this as both my monitors are exactly the same model and resolution. However, it is possible to recreate it with this type of setup.

Interesting. Perheps this is where the problem is stemming from. I wonder if there is a way to resolve the problem while still keeping the "scale ui" settings different. Or maybe just a way to automatically zoom an image shared with the players so that it fits the window.

celebrindal
March 4th, 2022, 21:07
I've found that what the bigger issue for my group is that if a GM is running a super hi rez and then they have the image taking up 80% of their screen when they share it blows out and fills the entire screen for the players and trying to get the edge of the window back is a super pain the butt. We've solved this by having the DM share the image as a tiny image on their screen and then the players can resize.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2022, 21:18
...when they share it blows out and fills the entire screen for the players and trying to get the edge of the window back is a super pain the butt.
Yeah, it is a bit of a pain. You can hold down the CTRL key and left-click and drag on the image to resize - you may need to do this a few times (left-click and drag from the bottom right of the image) to get a very large image to resize the window to something usable on your screen.

Sulimo
March 17th, 2022, 00:23
I think this issue may be fixed, at least it seems so from the patch notes:

https://i.imgur.com/jHwkikz.png