PDA

View Full Version : Smite and Double Tab application?

jimweaver
February 27th, 2022, 23:57
Heya! Two things I couldn't get to work quite right in a FG session today:

- Smite +2 Damage. I drug the "effect" for damage +2 onto the weapons that were targeted by the power. An annotation (something like [>Smite] - don't remember exactly the syntax, but there may have been a # sign in there somewhere) was added on a line of that weapon's description. But, when damage was rolled for those weapons, the +2 was not automatically added. I had to do it manually. Did I drag the Effect to the wrong place somehow?

- The Double Tap Edge. One of the PCs elected this Edge at the end of the last session. I didn't see any direct support for it, so I created a "sub attack" for the weapon he's currently using especially for Double Tap. This seems like a good approach, since using it is a choice, and you might not want to use it all the time due to ammo consumption. This worked in that the +1 was added to hit and also to damage. However, I could not find a way to make it consume 2 bullets of the weapon, so the player had to track current ammo manually. Not a big deal. I thought about upping rate of fire or number of attacks on the sub-attack to get the bullets consumed, but these are different things from a double tap (no recoil, for example). Just curious if there's a way to make a sub-attack use up more ammo on the gun it's listed under without modifying rate of fire or number of attacks.

Mike Serfass
February 28th, 2022, 04:12
Although the power says Smite is applied to a weapon, in FGU you drop the Smite effect on the character in CT. The effect should look like

Smite [Attack +2]

Since it's in the CT, it will count rounds. But, it will apply to all attacks of that character.

When the effect is dropped on a weapon, it looks like

[> #Smite]
which doesn't work, as you learned, because it doesn't know which version to apply.

If you want to put it on a weapon, use this instead

Smite [>Attack +2]
You won't get the countdown in CT, but you could manually add a placeholder effect and get the counter.

For double tap, create a sub attack. However, instead of adding a modifier and increasing the damage, add this effect to the sub attack

[> #DoubleTap]
That will apply the +1 attack and damage and decrease the ammo by 2 each shot.

jimweaver
February 28th, 2022, 04:19
Ah, so you can reference these things by keyword! That's why my improvised Smite worked from the Effects window - I gave it a unique name, and dragging from there created a working reference.

Is there a thread or video somewhere that shows these specific keywords? The effects page on the wiki has been a huge help, but of course isn't SW specific.

I have dropped some effects in CT, but you are correct, because Smite works on a weapon I just thought to apply it there first. I could just as easily toggle the effect off in CT if they changed weapons. I'll also have to read up on doing the manual counters for duration. Although, my players are pretty good about tracking the duration of their effects themselves, so that's not a huge automation need for me.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike Serfass
February 28th, 2022, 04:59
Are you talking about this effects page?
Savage Worlds Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects)

For videos, look for Kevin Doswell on youtube. He has instructional videos and he records his games. You can pick up tricks by watching him GM. Plus, you get to see him play test content he's working on.

For manual counters in CT, just click in the effects field, type anything without [], click on the rounds button and type a number. When it's about to expire, you'll see the reminder and prompt in chat. I use that ad-hoc "effect" to track things like dramatic tasks, holding breath, rounds left before the light goes out, characters aflame taking burning damage.

jimweaver
February 28th, 2022, 05:15
Yep, that's the page - just had a brain fart. It doesn't mention the #DoubleTap keyword though - is there a list of those kinds of keywords somewhere?

I have seen some of his vids before but will watch some others.

Thanks for the tips!

Mike Serfass
February 28th, 2022, 06:46
I don't know of any lists. I've been compiling my own. I learn them because I experiment.

Mike Serfass
March 6th, 2022, 17:44
Bonus info: Three round burst

Use this on a sub attack to give it 3RB (+1 hit, +1 damage)

[>#ThreeRoundBurst]
Keep the # attacks set to 1. It seems like you'd set it to 3, but that's full auto.

You can combine 3RB with Double Tap like this:

[>#ThreeRoundBurst, >#DoubleTap]
This would be a single Shooting roll with +2 hit, +2 damage, and expend 6 rounds.

If the character also has Rock and Roll! or is using a laser gatling (which ignores recoil) it would be this:

[>#ThreeRoundBurst, >#DoubleTap, >Ignore #Recoil]

If the character is a kalian with a laser gatling with double tap, it would be this:

[>#ThreeRoundBurst, >#DoubleTap, >Ignore #Recoil, >Ignore #MultiAction -2]

The same kalian with smite:

[>#ThreeRoundBurst, >#DoubleTap, >Ignore #Recoil, >Attack +2, >Ignore #MultiAction -2]