PDA

View Full Version : Chat Aesthetics Configurator

Drowbe
February 26th, 2022, 09:24
CHAT AESTHETICS CONFIGURATOR (v0.9)

Link on FORGE (free): https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/523/view

IMPORTANT: Please delete the non-forge versions of the extension... I've renamed it, made a bunch of changes, an dwill only use forge for distribution. You don't want old version and variations in your extension folder... bad things happen. Ooooh. HOWEVER, if you have customized YOUR version, be sure to rename it something else or it will get clobbered when you update.

INTRODUCTION

Okay, so what does it do? Well, the Chat Aesthetics Configurator replaces some of the standard icons in the chat window with a set of icons I've designed to match many of the other images I've used in other extensions. Further, it replaces some of the fonts and their styles. For me, these align with my aesthetic sensibilities. If they don't align with yours, no worries... just swap out whatever you'd like.

What does this mean? Well, when there is a "hit"... the players will see a fancy "hit" icon with text colors to match. Same for "miss" or "crit" or several other actions and effects. Further, this adds a "GM" icon to align with the look and feel of the rest of the chat icons.

If you want to get that "whole suite" feel, this extension pairs nicely with MATTEKURE's "Fantasy Grounds 5E Indicators", Mad Nomad's "Mad Nomad's Interactive Portraits", and SirMotte's "Magnificent Darkness - Hearth Edition" theme, among others.

INSTRUCTIONS

By default, just enable it and it should work out of the box. Go into options under "Chat Aesthetics Configurator" and select both the font theme and icon theme you want to use. Over time I will roll more themes into the extension. Right now it includes:

Icon Themes

Off - uses the standard icons
Simple - uses enhanced icons with no containers
Hex - uses enhanced icons with a hex container
Round - uses enhanced icons with a round container
Square - uses enhanced icons with a square container

Font Themes

Off - uses the default fonts
Hearth - optimized for the "hearth" theme
Light - for use on dark themes
Dark - for use on light themes

GM Icon

Sorry - you are stuck with the default for now... these aren't wired up to the options panel yet.
If you are adventurous, reverse engineer the extension and point to what you want to use.

For advanced users: To change any of the above with your own styles and icons, rename the extension to "Chat Aesthetics Configurator.zip" and unzip it. Edite the files and swap the icons to your heart's content. Zip it back up, rename it so whatever you want -- if not, it will get overwritten the next time Forge updates.

ATTRIBUTION

First, a shout out to VALEROS for his original extension, "Chat Window - Attack Rolls - Big Icons, Fonts, and Color - Great for TV use" as found in the Fantasy Grounds Forum. Next, a thank you to MATTEKURE for his evolution of the extension and guidance. Finally, SirMotte for his patience and support. For my part, All I did was do a bit of simplification, code clean-up, and then introduce a bit of flexibility around theming things.

CHANGES

v0.1-0.7 - These were a train-wreck... good thing you didn't have to deal with them.
v0.8 - Basic functionality.
v0.9 - Introduces new themes, new font styles, and the ability to choose font and icon themes in the options panel.

ISSUES AND OPPORTUNITIES

Themes do not change all icons yet.
Some font settings don't seem to fire.
Using this extension MAY change some of the icons in on the "action" tab... specifically, the "Spells" icon.
I am sure there are other issues.

nephranka
February 26th, 2022, 13:51
Glad to see this taking off. I really like the clean look to the icons and I am really looking forward to seeing more in action. Many people have seen my screenshots in posts and asked me where I got them from. I pointed them to the other thread but it was complicated. Now this is a better place! Thanks!

Drowbe
February 27th, 2022, 00:10
Glad to see this taking off. I really like the clean look to the icons and I am really looking forward to seeing more in action. Many people have seen my screenshots in posts and asked me where I got them from. I pointed them to the other thread but it was complicated. Now this is a better place! Thanks!

So happy to hear that. I am working on extending the set of icons as well as some alternate themes... but it is such a pain to manually have to configure which theme you want to use. I decided to go with the clean icons over the hex icons this time... if anyone has a preference as to what should be "default" I am all ears.

--Thomas

Tatas
February 27th, 2022, 14:56
I personally think the hex icons look best. Great job!

Drowbe
February 28th, 2022, 00:39
I guess it would have helped if I clicked "list" on Forge so people could actually get it.

Drowbe
February 28th, 2022, 22:22
I guess it would have helped if I clicked "list" on Forge so people could actually get it.

I am kinda thinking the same. I am going to play this week with the simple one and see how it goes... I may just be burnt out on my own designs and need to work up some new ones.

Sure wish I could figure out coding switching themes.

Drowbe
March 4th, 2022, 18:37
I have an idea for a work-around for the theme selector. Perhaps I just bundle an extension for each theme and you then enable the one you want to use. This would be easier for now than you having to unbundle the extension and editing the xml. I am thinking something like:

Chat Aesthetics Configurator - Simple.ext
Chat Aesthetics Configurator - Hex.ext
Chat Aesthetics Configurator - Small.ext
etc.

While I don't want to blast the extension list, I think this may be better... especially since I don't see the theme selector working any time soon.

--Thomas

Drowbe
March 5th, 2022, 09:29
I've managed to replace the "roll effects" icon... so progress. I've also got choosing font colors in the options panel figured out. I need to do some more tweaking, but I should upload a new version to forge this weekend.

If anyone has some good color sets for fonts, send them to me and I may work them in as an option.

Drowbe
March 6th, 2022, 22:01
Uploaded a new version to Forge... major update with lots of goodies. See the first post for details.

--Thomas

MostTornBrain
March 7th, 2022, 22:19
Hi,

I like this extension a lot.

One minor thing: it looks like you may have listed the default value for the two options also as option choices, which means they appear twice as one cycles through the list. The default option should not also be present in the list of labels and values when defining the options. The default one gets added automatically to the list.

For example, the "Hearth" font theme is in the options twice (you have to click it twice to get to the next item) and "Simple" in the Icon Theme appears twice as well.

(I coincidentally ran into this on one of my own extensions this weekend, so the details or how to fix it are still fresh on my mind.)

Cheers,
Brian

Drowbe
March 7th, 2022, 22:59
Hi,

I like this extension a lot.

One minor thing: it looks like you may have listed the default value for the two options also as option choices, which means they appear twice as one cycles through the list. The default option should not also be present in the list of labels and values when defining the options. The default one gets added automatically to the list.

For example, the "Hearth" font theme is in the options twice (you have to click it twice to get to the next item) and "Simple" in the Icon Theme appears twice as well.

(I coincidentally ran into this on one of my own extensions this weekend, so the details or how to fix it are still fresh on my mind.)

Cheers,
Brian

Holy smokes! You're right. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know. I haven't been a developer in like 15 years... so pretty rusty. I am having a heck of a time figuring all of this out. Once I figure out how to intercept all chat messages (instead of just rolls) I will make better progress.

I'll update it and submit the new build -- I am not happy with the colors and font sizes yet, so I am tweaking. I've also knocked out another icon theme.

What you working on?

--Thomas

MostTornBrain
March 7th, 2022, 23:19
I'll update it and submit the new build -- I am not happy with the colors and font sizes yet, so I am tweaking. I've also knocked out another icon theme.

I look forward to the new icons. I love the icon art style you use so far.

What you working on?

This past weekend I was working on a very simple extension for customizing the look of the token health bar. It will allow displaying a "100%" bar in the background of the existing bar to give a better sense of how much health is gone. It also makes it easier to spot empty health bars. I added the ability to use the color picker dialog so any custom color and alpha level can be selected for the background bar.

It's very limited in its usefulness, but was more as an exercise for me to figure out how to trigger the color picker window from clicking on an option and then save the value, and also learn about how widgets work. The thread for it is here if you want to take a look: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72884-Custom-HealthBar-Widget All the code is on github for anyone to reuse.

Cheers,
Brian

MostTornBrain
March 7th, 2022, 23:24
The default option should not also be present in the list of labels and values when defining the options. The default one gets added automatically to the list.

One clarification - I mistyped. It's the "base" that you don't need to add to the option list, not the default.

Cheers,
Brian

bmos
March 8th, 2022, 00:01
Once I figure out how to intercept all chat messages (instead of just rolls) I will make better progress.
Replacing ChatManager.Message and ChatManager.SystemMessage?
You could also do Comm.deliverChatMessage and Comm.addChatMessage, but I think those functions are not visible so working with them is less intuitive.

So:

local _fMessage
local function Message(msgtxt, broadcast, rActor, ...)
-- here you can do whatever you want

-- then this calls the original function
_fMessage(msgtxt, broadcast, rActor, ...)
end
function onInit()
-- back up original function
_fMessage = ChatManager.Message
-- override original function in ChatManager
ChatManager.Message = Message
end(

Drowbe
March 8th, 2022, 01:05
Replacing ChatManager.Message and ChatManager.SystemMessage?
You could also do Comm.deliverChatMessage and Comm.addChatMessage, but I think those functions are not visible so working with them is less intuitive.

So:

local _fMessage
local function Message(msgtxt, broadcast, rActor, ...)
-- here you can do whatever you want
_fMessage(msgtxt, broadcast, rActor, ...)
end
function onInit()
_fMessage = ChatManager.Message
ChatManager.Message = Message
end(

Ooooh... I will dive into this after my game this evening. I guess I'm going to have to commit to learning LUA and getting comfy with the FG code. Is there documentation somewhere? (you'd think I'd already have had to find it).

Also, love your extensions, bmos.

--Thomas

MostTornBrain
March 8th, 2022, 01:28
Is there documentation somewhere? (you'd think I'd already have had to find it).

The wiki has a lot of documentation here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996644535/Developer+Guide+-+Ruleset+API+Reference

I also found it useful to unzip the CoreRPG and other rulesets into a common directory and then use something like Microsoft's Visual Studio Code to treat them all as one workspace, which then allows me to more easily search for places in where the APIs are actually used and see how there are used and interact with other parts of the system.

For example, if you are looking for chat related stuff, you can then search for ChatManager, or other things with the name chat and see possibilities for how the chat features are used with Lua.

Cheers,
Brian

bmos
March 8th, 2022, 03:14
Ooooh... I will dive into this after my game this evening. I guess I'm going to have to commit to learning LUA and getting comfy with the FG code. Is there documentation somewhere? (you'd think I'd already have had to find it).

Also, love your extensions, bmos.

--ThomasI've gotten a lot of good information from here: https://riptutorial.com/lua/example/20315/lua-pattern-matching
Other than that, reading through other extensions and rulesets is a great way to learn as MostTornBrain points out.
You can find all my source code here: https://github.com/bmos?tab=repositories

Drowbe
March 8th, 2022, 06:09
Thank you both! I will dive into this over the next week.

My goal is to get to a decent framework for the extension so I can focus on the design.

--Thomas

nephranka
March 8th, 2022, 18:24
I like the effect icon. Overall nice addition to something I really would not live without. Thanks!

Oneiros
March 16th, 2022, 13:34
Great extension man! I tested it, but I will wait 'till the third known issue: "Using this extension MAY change some of the icons in on the "action" tab... specifically, the "Spells" icon is fixed". REALLY can't wait 'till then. GREAT work! Thanks.

Drowbe
March 16th, 2022, 16:35
Great extension man! I tested it, but I will wait 'till the third known issue: "Using this extension MAY change some of the icons in on the "action" tab... specifically, the "Spells" icon is fixed". REALLY can't wait 'till then. GREAT work! Thanks.

Thanks, pal. I hope to fix that issue in the next few days.

--Thomas

ghen
March 16th, 2022, 22:46
I'm somehow sad that it's lost an adjective, but I'm happy its on the forge. so its a wash?

Drowbe
March 17th, 2022, 00:27
I'm somehow sad that it's lost an adjective, but I'm happy its on the forge. so its a wash?

Indeed. I toiled over my love of the absurd -- I mean, how often do you get to use "resplendent" in your products -- versus making it absurd enough... but still having a shot at being memorable. I did skirt "Chat Thingie" as a name, so you got that going for ya.

estrolof
March 29th, 2022, 19:25
I am thoroughly impressed. From a UX perspective, this adds a great deal of visibility to the action experience. I really like the HEX icons too.

However, is there a means for taking advantage of the Game setting - "Show results to client: Off"?

There are some 5E abilities (blanking on names) that allow the player to claim a bonus or modifier after seeing their roll, but before they know the results. The icons make misses and saves obvious.

I know that's kinda the point, but taking advantage of the others ("attack" as opposed to "hit/miss" and effect applied, etc.). Is that possible as an option?

Drowbe
April 8th, 2022, 07:54
I will look into this.

I am thoroughly impressed. From a UX perspective, this adds a great deal of visibility to the action experience. I really like the HEX icons too.

However, is there a means for taking advantage of the Game setting - "Show results to client: Off"?

There are some 5E abilities (blanking on names) that allow the player to claim a bonus or modifier after seeing their roll, but before they know the results. The icons make misses and saves obvious.

I know that's kinda the point, but taking advantage of the others ("attack" as opposed to "hit/miss" and effect applied, etc.). Is that possible as an option?

Oneiros
June 3rd, 2022, 22:15
Hey,

I just wanted to know if development is stopped for your extension. Just to know if I decide to use it "as is". Hey! Don't get me wrong, you do this on your time man, I respect that. Just wanted to have some news. I still like the extension as it is now. :)

Drowbe
June 5th, 2022, 19:08
No... it has not stopped. Mostly, life only lets me work on it in bursts. I have a whole list of things I want to do with it going forward.

Please share any ideas you have here too!

Best, --Thomas

Valyar
June 5th, 2022, 19:39
Does this extension support 5E with Wizard's original theme? Just icons, no font changes.

Morenu
June 14th, 2022, 15:01
Love the Idea of this ext. any chance in the future to make a Corerpg or PF1e version?

Drowbe
July 25th, 2022, 00:41
Does this extension support 5E with Wizard's original theme? Just icons, no font changes.

It should -- just choose "off" for the font theme and then whichever icon set you'd like top use.

Drowbe
July 25th, 2022, 00:42
Love the Idea of this ext. any chance in the future to make a Corerpg or PF1e version?

Perhaps... but I'd like to nail down the basic before I extend it into other rulesets. That will take me a bit of time to wrap my head around as I only play 5e... and even then, not well. heh

Drowbe
July 25th, 2022, 00:45
With all of the recent changes to Fantasy Grounds... and all the extensions those changes seem to have messed up, has anyone had issues with mine? I've not seen any errors, but someone DM'd me that it may have caused one for them. I don't have any details... but I am seeing nothing. Let me know if you see any.

--Thomas

EllivasKram
July 27th, 2022, 21:23
No your extn was fine. I had issues with [HIT] etc not processing. But it was ‘Miss Flavor Text’ extn causing the issue

Feroand
July 29th, 2022, 07:14
Hello and thank you for making this awesome theme!

I am not sure if it's because of current changes in the FGU, but... It seems like icon themes and text themes don't change when I try to adjust them in the options menu. They are fixed as the "simple" option, I believe. I tried restarting the game session, connecting as a player, and using different rulesets (Originally, I was using GURPS 4e but the problem occurred for 5e and other rulesets too), etc. I couldn't find a solution.

In addition to this, it seems like dmg icons are just player or GM portraits, there are no blood or other kinds of special icons.

I was using the forge version and tried to delete and update it. It's still the same. Simple icons are awesome too but, since you ask for a bug, I wanted to make some feedback.

Have a nice day!

Oneiros
October 12th, 2022, 14:33
I think development for this extension is stopped. No criticism towards Drowbe, ext are on how developer's time. We use it as is, but don't wait for an update.

Drowbe
October 12th, 2022, 16:55
Hi All --

It's with mixed emotions that I have decided to move from Fantasy Grounds to Foundry for our gaming sessions. Both platforms can be incredible; however, for the campaigns, I run I found that for our needs and playstyle, Foundry was the preferred platform. It was easier to use, aligned with our play style, and the team really loved the user experience and the amped-up aesthetics of the maps, animations, sounds, etc. Further, my prep time and ability to get my homebrew in the system has been more than cut in half. (we ran sessions in both to assess). As a GM I miss some of the amazing coding and power in FG, but overall it was a good move for us. Managing their characters on DND Beyond was a huge win for them.

As such, I will no longer be investing in or updating this extension. I've truly loved getting to know the FG community and the support I've received here. I have nothing but good things to say about Fantasy Grounds and its users -- I will continue to monitor progress from the side and am excited to see where the software goes.

I am happy to send anyone interested the code and source files for this extension. I pulled it together to fill some "visual" gaps in the FG user experiences (I run design teams by trade) and never expected anyone else to want to use it. I was surprised and delighted to find that others found it of use too. It has been in a pretty stable state, so I've not invested in it in quite a while. With my move from FG to Foundry a couple of months ago, I've decided not to continue to work on this extension... and the other extensions I have contributed visuals to like 5E Indicators, Portals, Interactive Portraits, Hearth Theme, etc. Let me know if anyone wants my source code or image files.

Thank you all for the support, kind words, and surprising 5-star rating on the Forge.

Best, --Thomas aka Drowbe

rhagelstrom
October 12th, 2022, 18:09
Hi All --

It's with mixed emotions that I have decided to move from Fantasy Grounds to Foundry for our gaming sessions. Both platforms can be incredible; however, for the campaigns, I run I found that for our needs and playstyle, Foundry was the preferred platform. It was easier to use, aligned with our play style, and the team really loved the user experience and the amped-up aesthetics of the maps, animations, sounds, etc. Further, my prep time and ability to get my homebrew in the system has been more than cut in half. (we ran sessions in both to assess). As a GM I miss some of the amazing coding and power in FG, but overall it was a good move for us. Managing their characters on DND Beyond was a huge win for them.

As such, I will no longer be investing in or updating this extension. I've truly loved getting to know the FG community and the support I've received here. I have nothing but good things to say about Fantasy Grounds and its users -- I will continue to monitor progress from the side and am excited to see where the software goes.

I am happy to send anyone interested the code and source files for this extension. I pulled it together to fill some "visual" gaps in the FG user experiences (I run design teams by trade) and never expected anyone else to want to use it. I was surprised and delighted to find that others found it of use too. It has been in a pretty stable state, so I've not invested in it in quite a while. With my move from FG to Foundry a couple of months ago, I've decided not to continue to work on this extension... and the other extensions I have contributed visuals to like 5E Indicators, Portals, Interactive Portraits, Hearth Theme, etc. Let me know if anyone wants my source code or image files.

Thank you all for the support, kind words, and surprising 5-star rating on the Forge.

I'll be this extensions steward if you need. I've made it compatible with BIDI, see attached

maugrim8866
October 12th, 2022, 18:12
Thank you offering to step in. @rhagelstrom
I just learned about this extension and I love it.
So much easier to find specific rolls in the chat history with the font colors and icons.

Thank you

nephranka
October 12th, 2022, 18:19
Hi All --

Thank you for all the work. Good luck in the new VTT.

nephranka
October 12th, 2022, 18:20
I'll be this extensions steward if you need. I've made it compatible with BIDI, see attached

Very cool! Will it be the forge one or will we find updates in the posts here or something else?

Thank you!

EllivasKram
October 12th, 2022, 18:39
Indeed sad to see you leave. Not sure I can do without the FGU automation anymore.

rhagelstrom
October 12th, 2022, 18:40
Ideally, if I or whoever is taking it over, the forge ownership would need to be transferred and I don't know if that is possible. It'd require @Drowbe to talk to Smiteworks. Alternatively, the extension gets delisted and a new one is put up but then everyone would have to resubscribe.

Drowbe
October 12th, 2022, 20:32
Glad to hear it! Here is a link to the source files and the images files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cfkrfpy37dukmm/Chat%20Aesthetics%20Configurator.zip?dl=0

I use an app called "Pixelmator Pro" to do the image work. I can export to photoshop or whatever if you need. Let me know.

Thanks for taking it over. Apologies in advance for my crappy coding!

Best, --Thomas

Drowbe
October 12th, 2022, 20:41
Ideally, if I or whoever is taking it over, the forge ownership would need to be transferred and I don't know if that is possible. It'd require @Drowbe to talk to Smiteworks. Alternatively, the extension gets delisted and a new one is put up but then everyone would have to resubscribe.

That is a bummer. I can provide a link to the new one and delist when you are ready to roll. I didn't see any way to transfer ownership. If you ping smiteworks and they tell you how I am happy to do so. I'd love for you to inherit the 500+ users and the 5-star rating. May want to shoot a message on Discord to the Grim Press and Rob2E channels as many users are there who used it. That said, I was not officially part of those servers as a developer, so they may be more or less open to posting there. Guessing Grim Press will be more okay with it than the other. I will be staying on the Grim Press discord... probably leaving the Rob2E discord since it is 100% Fantasy Grounds... though I do like chatting with some of the awesome devs who hang there.

--Thomas

Drowbe
October 12th, 2022, 20:44
Indeed sad to see you leave. Not sure I can do without the FGU automation anymore.

Yeah, that is what kept me on FG so long... then I found out how powerful the automation was in Foundry and made the move. I have replicated everything I loved about FG, so it was the right move for me. Again, LOVED FG, but it was too hard to keep running, keep the players updated, install syrinscape for sound, etc. Plus, it is cool seeing things like animated giant hammers smashing monsters in a room with gratuitous lights and sounds. lol.

rhagelstrom
October 13th, 2022, 02:11
Thanks to @Drowbe and Smiteworks I was able to get the forge extension transferred to my control. I have pushed an update to v1.1 which should resolve the BIDI issue. I had to change the load order which makes me a little nervous that there might be an issue with other extensions but it shouldn't script error, just might not set an icons correctly. I might need to work with the BIDI author to get it all sorted if there is a conflict with another extension.

I gave this a quick run in PF1 and it seems to work. I think it will work for other rulesets too I just haven't tested it/looked at everything enough to have a good feel. If you do test it and it works for other rulesets drop me a note.

Everything is on my GitHub including the source image. https://github.com/rhagelstrom/ChatAestheticsConfigurator

I'm not an artist so the great graphics we have that Drowbe created is what we will stick with.

Feel free to contribute to this project if you wish. graphics or code wise.

Morenu
October 13th, 2022, 02:16
Thank you for taking it over. any chance you might look into making it CoreRPG compatible? :)

rhagelstrom
October 13th, 2022, 02:19
it's open right now for core, I'm curious to see your feedback on things

Drowbe
October 13th, 2022, 03:32
Thank you so much for taking this over! Let me know if you need any image help -- happy to contribute to this community.

--Thomas/Drowbe

nephranka
October 13th, 2022, 10:57
Thanks to @Drowbe and Smiteworks I was able to get the forge extension transferred to my control. I have pushed an update to v1.1 which should resolve the BIDI issue. I had to change the load order which makes me a little nervous that there might be an issue with other extensions but it shouldn't script error, just might not set an icons correctly. I might need to work with the BIDI author to get it all sorted if there is a conflict with another extension.

I gave this a quick run in PF1 and it seems to work. I think it will work for other rulesets too I just haven't tested it/looked at everything enough to have a good feel. If you do test it and it works for other rulesets drop me a note.

Everything is on my GitHub including the source image. https://github.com/rhagelstrom/ChatAestheticsConfigurator

I'm not an artist so the great graphics we have that Drowbe created is what we will stick with.

Feel free to contribute to this project if you wish. graphics or code wise.

Thank you!

Dax Doomslayer
October 13th, 2022, 16:35
Total bummer to see you go Thomas! I really enjoyed this extension. I hope Foundry continues to give you what you are looking for!

Thanks for continuing this rhagelstrom!!

anstett
October 17th, 2022, 17:56
Just downloaded to test with 2E. Will report back in a few sessions to see how it works and how the players respond to it.

Thanks,

BOB

Dudin
October 17th, 2022, 18:15
Hi All --

It's with mixed emotions that I have decided to move from Fantasy Grounds to Foundry for our gaming sessions. Both platforms can be incredible; however, for the campaigns, I run I found that for our needs and playstyle, Foundry was the preferred platform. It was easier to use, aligned with our play style, and the team really loved the user experience and the amped-up aesthetics of the maps, animations, sounds, etc. Further, my prep time and ability to get my homebrew in the system has been more than cut in half. (we ran sessions in both to assess).

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this a bit? I am curious to learn how/what Foundry does that reduces prep burden to such a degree. In my mind, there is only such much time/effort you can save for creating things like items/NPCs/Effects and what not. I would guess that FGU/Foundry have similar systems/functions for that. So hearing it from you first hand on how the change has saved you time would be very appreciated :D

rhagelstrom
October 21st, 2022, 02:15
Version Update 1.2

Changes:

Code cleanup
Got rid of all the global declarations and moved to themes
Re-enabled the selection of a different DM portrait that Drowbe had. There are a few of them to select from
Theme the Inspiration overlay with what was available from Drowbe
Theme of the generic chat font types
Removed Hearth font theme at @sirmotte suggestion
Reworked the internal FG function hooks which allows the load order to be set back to what Drowbe had. Should fix PF2 font issue in powers
Added Effect Expire Icon that Drowbe had but was never used.
Added ability for 3rd party extensions to add themes to this Chat Aesthetics Configurator

The last point, I'm putting together a skeleton extension so that whoever wishes can add their own custom themes. That will allow you to change the icons and font definitions to whatever you want and not have them overwritten every time that Chat Aesthetics Configurator is updated on the Forge. I hope to have this finished in the next couple of days.

This should work for any ruleset however depending on how rulesets name things, there might be some oddities. If you see something say something and I should be able to get it sorted pretty quickly

nephranka
October 21st, 2022, 11:30
Is there a way we can increase the font size. In the past I modified the code but it appears this is in the vault now.

nephranka
October 21st, 2022, 12:38
Please disregard, I found the file. All is good.

rhagelstrom
October 22nd, 2022, 19:05
Version Update 1.3
Changes to support custom themes and GM portraits.

I created a companion extension Fireside (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/Fireside) which allows custom themes and custom GM portraits to be created. Changes made in Fireside will persist when Chat Aesthetics Configurator is updated. You'll have to download Fireside from Github. Follow the provided instructions to make your own adjustments.

rhagelstrom
November 8th, 2022, 23:15
Version Update 1.4
Fixed script error on messages that don't have associated icon

nephranka
November 9th, 2022, 14:23
Version Update 1.3
Changes to support custom themes and GM portraits.

I created a companion extension Fireside (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/Fireside) which allows custom themes and custom GM portraits to be created. Changes made in Fireside will persist when Chat Aesthetics Configurator is updated. You'll have to download Fireside from Github. Follow the provided instructions to make your own adjustments.

This totally rocks. Quality of life enhancement. Thank you.

EllivasKram
November 10th, 2022, 23:19
I had my players today saying they couldn’t see if [HIT] we’re hits as they couldn’t see the icons in the chat channel. Is it now that the icon is honouring visibility whe it didn’t ?

rhagelstrom
November 10th, 2022, 23:25
I'll take a look to see if I can reproduce

rhagelstrom
November 11th, 2022, 15:13
I had my players today saying they couldn’t see if [HIT] we’re hits as they couldn’t see the icons in the chat channel. Is it now that the icon is honouring visibility whe it didn’t ?

Look at this. The extension doesn't touch the secret flag on the message data, it passes though what is currently there. That being said the only way I could reproduce this is with the option:
Game: Chat:Show results to client - set to "Off".

If that isn't what is going on and it happens again I'll need steps to reproduce. Any errors that happened prior might be of use. It could also be another extension toggling the secret flag

EllivasKram
November 11th, 2022, 18:54
Indeed the option as described allows the players to see the icon and the entirety of the line including the the [HIT]

But they insist they could see the icon previously without the detail on their side.

Which was a nice feature. But maybe a bug all along

rhagelstrom
November 21st, 2022, 01:34
Version Update 1.5
Fixed: Non-delivered (local) chat messages where not being overridden for CAC changes

plap3014
November 23rd, 2022, 02:57
Hi

after today update on FGU, we still havve the same error, no one see any dice roll, as a gm i only see my roll, and they only see their.

regards

rhagelstrom
November 23rd, 2022, 21:38
I rolled this back to the previous version last night, this was a nasty one. I got bit by this copy/paste error as well in my game

Apologies to everyone.

rhagelstrom
November 25th, 2022, 02:44
Version Update 1.6
Fixed the disaster that was 1.5

rhagelstrom
November 27th, 2022, 02:35
Version Update: 1.7
Feature: 5E: Option to not change the inspiration icon when switching to a CAC Icon Theme
Fixed: Light theme colors were not all light and were hard to read on dark themes

MrDDT
November 27th, 2022, 18:54
Thanks Rhagelstrom, awesome work as always!

Remedeez
February 5th, 2023, 00:47
I love this extension so much, and had been (for a long time) wanting to make my own icon set for use with it. So I did! Thought I'd share if anyone wanted to replace an icon set in the extension with mine, you are more than welcome to! (I give my permission to use in that way!) And if Rhagelstrom wants to add it as its own set someday in the future, that would be awesome too (no worries if you don't!)

Hope someone enjoys them! Attached them to this message as a zip :)

Edit to add: My icons are 10px larger than the default sets (60x60 px instead of 50x50px) and haven't noticed any issue with them being sized up so far! I just like them bigger.

rhagelstrom
February 5th, 2023, 18:54
Version Update: 1.8
Feature: Text Hex theme by Remedeez

Don't forget if you want to make your own custom themes for your game, check out Fireside (https://github.com/rhagelstrom/Fireside)

rhagelstrom
February 11th, 2023, 18:43
Version Update: 1.9
Feature: Added light and dark font themes with 20 and 22pt font for easier reading

TheElectricCity
February 23rd, 2023, 03:52
The most recent update seems to have broken the PF2e Action Icons in Sir Mottes Hearth theme. I know this has been a problem in the past so hopefully this is a quick fix!

MrDDT
February 23rd, 2023, 04:12
The most recent update seems to have broken the PF2e Action Icons in Sir Mottes Hearth theme. I know this has been a problem in the past so hopefully this is a quick fix!

What are your settings on CAC? Make sure they are turned off if you want Sir Mottes Hearth theme.

TheElectricCity
February 24th, 2023, 05:32
I'm unclear on your question. I don't think the settings are even relevant. This issue occurs when the CAC extension is activated.

rhagelstrom
February 24th, 2023, 05:41
If I have the Icon theme to off, the icons are not changed if I understand your question/issue. If I'm mistaken please post steps to reproduce/screenshots.56340

TheElectricCity
February 24th, 2023, 05:56
If I have the Icon theme to off, the icons are not changed if I understand your question/issue. If I'm mistaken please post steps to reproduce/screenshots.56340

Oh those aren't the icons I'm referring to. this effects the Action Icons in the Pf2e ruleset. This is how they are meant to appear. 56341

But with Chat Aesthetics activated we lose those icons: 56342

This is actually a problem I ran into a few months and I worked with Sir Motte to isolate the source of the problem to this extension. It seems to have re-expressed itself with the most recent update however.

rhagelstrom
February 24th, 2023, 05:59
Might be some sort of parsing and special chars. I'll work it out with Sir Motte. Thank you for the information.

Moon Wizard
February 24th, 2023, 06:52
You might want to ask @Trenloe. I know that he built special fonts that include action characters. For those fonts, you won't be able to override the font being used, or you will run into an issue when displaying the extra action characters. You can use a font merge to only change the color.

Regards,
JPG

SirMotte
February 24th, 2023, 07:50
I copied the special fonts icons into the Roboto Font used in my theme.
The Font issue with CaC seems to also be related to a clean-up issue with FGU. After a lot of testing I found out, that a complete restart, not a reload was necessary in order to have the icons show again. I'll do some more testing, but could you guys test as well, if restarting the FGU client fixes the issue?

rhagelstrom
February 27th, 2023, 01:18
CAC isn't changing any of the defined fonts by themes or FG. It's just doing Parler tricks/slight of hand specifically to chat message output with the font. I'll see if I can figure out what is going on this week.

Drowbe
February 28th, 2023, 05:46
It's so awesome to see how much you've put into this... you've even gotten it its own acronym! heh... CAC... nice! I'm delighted I left it in such capable hands.

--Drowbe/Thomas

rhagelstrom
March 1st, 2023, 00:29
It's so awesome to see how much you've put into this... you've even gotten it its own acronym! heh... CAC... nice! I'm delighted I left it in such capable hands.

--Drowbe/Thomas

If you want to come back you are free to take it over again :) Or if you want to make some new icons I can throw those in too :P

Drowbe
March 1st, 2023, 01:14
Heh... I am all-in with Foundry these days, so not likely to come back. I miss a good number of things about FG, but for a DM running pretty casual games, Foundry is a better fit. My players never could wrap their heads around the complexity and power of FG... and building worlds in it was like a whole other career. I am hoping by now working with the map has better controls... I was constantly dragging the window around instead of moving the map. Being a very "visual" person, I love all the bells and whistles and focus on the user experience, and I don't think I could ever get the groups I run to come back -- they are too attached to the animated attacks, spacial audio as the move around the map, and the sheer amount of automation... they can really focus on the story and having fun. While I might pain a pretty picture, it isn't for everyone... especially if you want all the power FG brings... and the official licensing! I have brought a ton of the CAC goodness into my games too... but it was super simple since everything can be modified via CSS, HTML, and javascript.

That all said, I still love the goodness the FG brings and will happily throw some icons your way if you need them! I am going to fire back up FG this weekend and see what you've been up to. heh

ChipDancer
March 1st, 2023, 20:01
I copied the special fonts icons into the Roboto Font used in my theme.
The Font issue with CaC seems to also be related to a clean-up issue with FGU. After a lot of testing I found out, that a complete restart, not a reload was necessary in order to have the icons show again. I'll do some more testing, but could you guys test as well, if restarting the FGU client fixes the issue?

SirMotte,

I got it to work once using your method, but cannot reproduce the fix even with a restart. I am doing some additional testing, but so far if CAC is enabled the action economy fonts are dead.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

:)

Chipdancer

ChipDancer
March 1st, 2023, 20:08
SirMotte,

If it helps I noticed after another removal of CAC and restart of FG, then adding it back in, that everything works fine now. I don't know if an update happened since last night, sorry, wasn't paying attention, but I did note that in the load order shown in chat that CAC is loading before the Hearth theme. Not sure if this helps or anything!

:)

ChipDancer

rhagelstrom
March 2nd, 2023, 02:08
What I know about all this after some testing.
It seems that CAC in PF2 works fine for my limited testing
I saw the issue when I used CAC and Hearth
After further testing I saw the issue when only using Hearth
Today I can't reproduce the issue at all with only Hearth or with Hearth + CAC
Sir Motte was able to reproduce today.
The load order should work in our favor because if CAC was overriding any defined font names, which CAC isn't, Hearth would override CAC.
Will continue to see if I can figure out what the issue is.

rhagelstrom
March 2nd, 2023, 02:17
Version Update 1.10
Replaced Roboto fonts with Sir Motte Roboto modded for PF to fix PF issue maybe?

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me but with some testing by Motte and I we aren't able to reproduce with this version.

ChipDancer
March 3rd, 2023, 18:10
Version Update 1.10
Replaced Roboto fonts with Sir Motte Roboto modded for PF to fix PF issue maybe?

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me but with some testing by Motte and I we aren't able to reproduce with this version.

I am proud to say and keeping my fingers crossed, that I have not seen the issue since 3/1/23! :)

ChipDancer

Tan0
July 25th, 2023, 11:14
Hello!
Quick question: If the option to hide GM rolls is checked, does the extension still show hit/miss/whatever icons in chat?
Thanks!

rhagelstrom
July 25th, 2023, 15:27
Hello!
Quick question: If the option to hide GM rolls is checked, does the extension still show hit/miss/whatever icons in chat?
Thanks!

What is shown should be the same as to what is shown when the extension isn't loaded.

Tan0
July 25th, 2023, 21:50
What is shown should be the same as to what is shown when the extension isn't loaded.

Yup! Just tested. It was a long time I wasn't using this extension because at the beginning at least the icons wer displayed to the clients (so easily recognizable as hits, misses, etc).
Thanks for replying!
G.

rhagelstrom
December 13th, 2023, 19:39
Version Update: 1.11
Maintenance for ruleset update 12-12-23

TheButterdragon
December 13th, 2023, 23:32
I seem to be receiving this error today whilst Chat Aesthetics Configurator is enabled
"[12/13/2023 11:29:09 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "..hetics Configurator:..ts/configurator.lua"]:212: attempt to index local 'ctrlChar' (a nil value)
[12/13/2023 11:29:09 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "..hetics Configurator:..ts/configurator.lua"]:212: attempt to index local 'ctrlChar' (a nil value)"

ghen
December 13th, 2023, 23:51
Same as the Butter Dragon.

rhagelstrom
December 14th, 2023, 00:26
Update, should be resolved