PDA

View Full Version : [extension] Damage Per Round Calculation Extension

bratch9
February 25th, 2022, 18:12
B9's Damage Per Round Extension on Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/521/view)
bratch9 profile on Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/89/view-profile)

This extension adds the ability to calculate the damage per round for the DM/GM.

A sidebar button opens a window with suitable options to calculate the damage per round of an attack. See,

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/8852ee6ffd80a3bd5e09f8dd6818b803.jpeg

Support for ruleset 5e is included on the character sheet with a 'DPR' button on the actions page on the bottom right.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/ce1deb1d7f3835ea1b9152dd9c2119d1.jpeg

And on NPC the 'DPR' button is on the title bar next to the NPC token. ( Note, blue box show a 'source' NPC that is read only, these do not get 'DPR' as data is stored to allow you to re-open the 'DPR' with previous values. )

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/177e9b02fe337018f6f50f23895c51ee.jpeg

bratch9
February 25th, 2022, 18:36
Added support for,
5E - Floating Character Sheet Tabs, By ScriedRaven (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/434/view)
Better Menus, By celestian (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/69/view)

Version Releases
v1.2 Adds support for DPS on readonly NPC, Adds and 'Attack count' for number of attacks per round, and adjust some of the other text for better descriptions.
v1.1 Added support for 'Better Menus' and 'Floating Tabs'
v1.0 initial release

bratch9
February 25th, 2022, 18:37
reserve-2

bratch9
February 26th, 2022, 14:43
reserve-3

nephranka
February 28th, 2022, 17:21
Generally, my group liked it. Everything seemed intuitive and we had no issues. They only comments were:
1. What is S' advantage?
2. Can we get units (%) listed on the numbers or for the fields?

#2 was mainly due to some values being 0.25 and others being 34 and having to figure out the that is 0.25% and not 25% :)

Otherwise, good work!

bratch9
February 28th, 2022, 20:48
Generally, my group liked it. Everything seemed intuitive and we had no issues. They only comments were:
1. What is S' advantage?
2. Can we get units (%) listed on the numbers or for the fields?

#2 was mainly due to some values being 0.25 and others being 34 and having to figure out the that is 0.25% and not 25% :)

Otherwise, good work!

1. s' advantage. ( Elven Accuracy. ) is 'super advantage, ie 3 dice.' , stated on the forge page.

2. Numbers dont show extra symbols... I can probably get swap those over to strings to print better for you.

The other thing I'm probably going to add is number of attacks... so it can set to 2 for extra attack etc.

-pete

bratch9
March 8th, 2022, 19:05
v1.2 adds support for DPS on readonly NPC, adds 'attack count' for number of attacks per round, and adjust some of the text strings for better descriptions.

metaknight22
April 15th, 2022, 21:57
This is such a great tool for calculating damage during encounter design but I do have a question. I found the upper portion of the damage per round table (the hit chance) to be accurate but the max damage seems off. Maybe I'm missing something, but for instance in your aboleth example, the monster does 2d6+5 damage, wouldn't the max damage be 17 (12+5) and not 13.35? I know I can just imagine the max being 17 instead of the 13.35 but it makes me question the average damage as well. Please let me know what I'm missing thank you!
Edit: Nevermind, I get it now, the calculator is averaging the damage per round, not per attack. my bad.

bratch9
April 16th, 2022, 12:04
This is such a great tool for calculating damage during encounter design but I do have a question. I found the upper portion of the damage per round table (the hit chance) to be accurate but the max damage seems off. Maybe I'm missing something, but for instance in your aboleth example, the monster does 2d6+5 damage, wouldn't the max damage be 17 (12+5) and not 13.35? I know I can just imagine the max being 17 instead of the 13.35 but it makes me question the average damage as well. Please let me know what I'm missing thank you!
Edit: Nevermind, I get it now, the calculator is averaging the damage per round, not per attack. my bad.

Yep its designed for many rolls and the expected sort of amounts you would generate. It takes into account the hit chance and the critical chance. Which is why at 'advantage' and 'super advantage' you can net a damage greater than the max.

The 'max damage' 13.35 for 'normal' is generated from (12+5)*.75=12.75 'hit chance', and from the (12+0)*.05=0.6 'critical chance', giving a total of 13.35 max damage over a number of rounds. ( Typical )

I would not expect real roll numbers to tend to these values until a number of rounds, 10->100. They form an idea of 'expected' amounts of damage as a guide to how many rounds it might take. [ The newest version of the extension also has a 'number of attacks' to scale these damage numbers by. ]

-pete

nephranka
July 19th, 2022, 02:15
I was doing some debugging and saw this, so I thought I would pass it along. Not sure if it means anything or can be fixed (or needs to be fixed for that matter).
[7/18/2022 9:06:46 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (charsheet_actionsft) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [B9_DamagePerRound] [scripts/5e_B9DPR.xml]

bratch9
July 19th, 2022, 12:39
I was doing some debugging and saw this, so I thought I would pass it along. Not sure if it means anything or can be fixed (or needs to be fixed for that matter).
[7/18/2022 9:06:46 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (charsheet_actionsft) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [B9_DamagePerRound] [scripts/5e_B9DPR.xml]

Thats the merge section to bring the dpr selector in the bottom right of the 'actions' tab.. this is the merge for the 'floating character sheet tabs' extensions that brings all the character sheet tab pages into individual windows. Its the merge for that extension window... If you dont have the extension this will show up, if you have the extension it will merge.

Is not possible, as far as I know, to xml merge into the class for a supported extension and special case this code merge in/out depending on if the extension is loaded or not....

Its ok to have that warning, and nothing I can do to stop it.

If you have this extension enabled it should go away, as it will correctly merge with this.
Floating tabs extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/434/view)

-pete

nephranka
July 19th, 2022, 13:48
Thats the merge section to bring the dpr selector in the bottom right of the 'actions' tab.. this is the merge for the 'floating character sheet tabs' extensions that brings all the character sheet tab pages into individual windows. Its the merge for that extension window... If you dont have the extension this will show up, if you have the extension it will merge.

Is not possible, as far as I know, to xml merge into the class for a supported extension and special case this code merge in/out depending on if the extension is loaded or not....

Its ok to have that warning, and nothing I can do to stop it.

If you have this extension enabled it should go away, as it will correctly merge with this.
Floating tabs extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/434/view)

-pete

Good to know. Thanks!

nephranka
July 20th, 2022, 01:35
Jumped the gun....still narrowing it down.

Edit: False alarm. All seems to be working.

webdove
December 11th, 2022, 20:57
I just got this extension and tried the NPC/DPR for Gladiator: "The gladiator makes three melee attacks or two ranged attacks." +7 to hit.
55416 The bottom are all 0's and the hit chances for ac 10 don't have the gladiator's stats inserted. Does this me I have to manually enter hit and damage data for every creature? That seems like a lot of work.

bratch9
December 12th, 2022, 21:47
I just got this extension and tried the NPC/DPR for Gladiator: "The gladiator makes three melee attacks or two ranged attacks." +7 to hit.
55416 The bottom are all 0's and the hit chances for ac 10 don't have the gladiator's stats inserted. Does this me I have to manually enter hit and damage data for every creature? That seems like a lot of work.

Since the system does not know which possible weapon you might use and or if you plan to check with as-if with some form of spell/effect(s) in play. Its hard to auto fill out this data.

The Target AC 10 would no be known, how is it going to know which player/other npc you might target... The the 'hit modifier' could grab from a weapon with extra parsing, but again different weapons might have different modifiers making this complex to pick up... the same with the damage config... So I default it to 'average AC' and zeros for the rest.. Its just a couple of numbers, how long does it take ?

Its also not designed for 'every creature, every possible weapon', its mainly designed for players/DM's to get an idea of what amount of damage a creature might do to the players during an encounter. Most DM's will get a good idea of the sorts of damage dice and hit bonus and attack count(s) to what the players can take for a 'basic'->'hard'->'TPK' level encounter. And this allows them to build a better idea of what they can throw at the players when building an encounter.

If the DM knows the players can average damage at 30hp per round, if they add a 100hp creature its going to take about 3-4 rounds to take that down... if that creature is doing 20hp per round, this might take a low-ish level player down in a couple rounds... so the DM might plan to think about taking down 50% of the party knowing they have spell/items to heal after... And plan an extra encounter before they can rest, to give a good risk level..

The 'CR' system works reasonably well until about 7-10th level, depending on what items you allow your players to collect... Then the cr system for encounters can be that 'creature group a' was taken down easy while the same cr encounter 'creature group b' was very hard.. because group 'b' had some spells that caused issues for the players while group 'a' was more brute force which the players could take on more direct.

I never thought of this as 'check every creature on every weapon' type thing, and initially I only applied the DPR button onto the player's.. Adding it to creatures was an extra that I thought would be nice... and caused issues because FG removed 'been able to store extra info' against 'read-only' npc module data...

I'm happy for users to comment/suggest how they use this, to see the sorts of things that come in as requests/changes.

But this is a low price extension because it has basic features... If I can add a request and its not complex then I tend to add to my todo list, but over all my extensions I have a pending list and nearly no time to add things. I've only been 'fixing' bugs as people report them and when ruleset changes cause issues, as I've had very little time at the moment to add things to current extensions or write new extensions.

You always have the option to refund if the extension does not do the things you thought it would do, and then keep an eye to see if a feature you wanted was added at some point later and pick it back up etc...

The example gladiator you gave, actually will be very hard to run on the combat tracker... it has a shield options and one/two handed spear which would have you have to change the AC dynamically depending if play/swap into 2 hand mode... I'm sure non of this works out the box on FG. It does look like a fun npc and a group of these in an encounter would get very hard quickly.. Or a one-on-one would need a near 10th level player ( Id guess.. fighter gets 3 attacks at level 11 )

If you want to add an idea to the thread and some extra pictures of how you see it going, I'm happy to consider and maybe add it to my todo.

-pete

webdove
December 12th, 2022, 22:17
Sorry, I did not mean to come across so argumentatively. I understand the need to be attack specific. I suppose I was just hoping that the NPC version would pick the highest damage attack. I like to judge NPC's for encounters by DPR so it would be nice to save a few clicks when scanning through them by CR.

bratch9
December 13th, 2022, 13:48
Sorry, I did not mean to come across so argumentatively. I understand the need to be attack specific. I suppose I was just hoping that the NPC version would pick the highest damage attack. I like to judge NPC's for encounters by DPR so it would be nice to save a few clicks when scanning through them by CR.

I did not take your comment as argumentative, and I probably give too much thought/info as a response. I prefer to give thought process on extension design and issues with ideas and take on great ideas.

What about doing something like this,

So the DPR window takes on 'ATK' and 'DMG' class drag-drop response and sets based on the dice and modifier. ie drag an attack/damage off combat tracker/npc sheet/player sheet and it puts those dice and modifier into the required parts. For ATK it would drop the 1d20 and pick the modifier to set the hit modifier etc..

It would not be able to interact with the effects stack, as that could 'use up' and effect that is set to 'once' type issue.. But it could allow you to just quick drag on the required atk/dmg you wanted to check ?

thoughts ?

-pete

webdove
December 17th, 2022, 17:36
That would be much quicker than typing so it looks good.

bratch9
March 12th, 2024, 21:07
v1.6 fixes for FGU 4.5.0