PDA

View Full Version : Generic “Ultra-Modern” skin for FG2 available

Cyjack
September 22nd, 2007, 20:01
Sorry I was a bit pokey about posting this. I keep getting pulled away to work on my campaign. Anyway, here’s my generic “ultra modern” re-skin for FG2, suitable for contemporary or even sci fi game settings. I’m not completely happy with it, but I can’t really spend any more time on it…I have more pressing campaign issues, and frankly, a much better idea for a skin I’d rather be working on. I just wanted to get something suitable done, since I was surprised that by this point there weren’t a number of officially available alternatives for non-fantasy games. I’ll post it here, and you can use all or none of it for your own needs.

It is simply a graphical replacement skin. I was constrained by the existing layout and pointers. I would have to monkey around a little deeper to get a more advanced reskin. Some other things I didn’t do:

1) Change any fonts, other than some color tweaking. Conceptually, I intended to do bright text on a black background for some text fields, but the default FG fonts are so small and slight, even with color adjustment, there would have been readability issues. Changing font style and size proved to be a bigger pain than I wanted to mess with right now, so I let it go. As a result, some fonts look out of place with the new theme…feel free to replace them.

2) Test very thoroughly. From my own work, I replaced or altered everything I felt needed it, and haven’t detected any flaws, but I haven’t tested every possible presentation the client can make. There are some remaining elements I left unchanged, as I couldn’t find where they showed up in the client. I don’t know if they are remnants from FG1, or part of some aspect of the interface I havent come across yet. Some of these I marked with garish colors or shapes, so they could be quickly identified if I came across them. If you come across anything that’s wildly out of place, post in this thread, and I’ll fix it.

For ease, I posted it as a complete ruleset based on the current version build (v 2.10), that you can plug into your “rulesets” folder and start a new campaign under. By default in winXP, C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\Rulesets. I don’t know if this is different in Vista. Keep in mind, one of the recent winXP updates made “application Data” a hidden system folder for some reason, so you’ll have to unhide system folders/files, though if you’re using custom rulesets, you probably know this.

The ruleset file is available HERE (https://www.mediafire.com/?3d2uxbwsitf) . I’m open to better suggestions for file hosting. It’s larger than the FG forum attachments allow for, and I didn’t want to use my own bandwidth.

To copy it into an existing ruleset, you’ll have to swap out the “Frames” folder, the “Icons” folder, and the “bmpfonts.xml” file in your ruleset with their counterparts in the “GenUltraModSkin_d20” ruleset. Keep in mind, it’s only been designed around the vanilla FG2 ruleset.

Enjoy!

GoOrange
September 22nd, 2007, 20:20
Looks very nice. Thanks for posting this!

Valarian
September 22nd, 2007, 20:26
A great big thank you from an artistically inept member of the board. I'll definitely be using some of these.

terrell
September 22nd, 2007, 22:03
Well done! Thank-you sir!

Irian
September 22nd, 2007, 22:39
Great work, I really like it :-) As someone who can code blindly, but can't design even if forced to, I really appreciate it...

VgnFrnd
September 23rd, 2007, 03:00
This is awesome. Thank you! :)

Oberoten
September 23rd, 2007, 07:09
Very nice. Subtle red underlight and the metal edges does give it just the right hi-tech feel.

fuleng
September 23rd, 2007, 14:18
Very nice. i really like it. :D

Sorontar
September 23rd, 2007, 15:14
Excellent, saves my talentless self all the trouble.

I'll just throw in the Hero background I'd sorted and see how it looks.

good job :D

Cyjack
September 23rd, 2007, 15:43
For anyone that didn't know, if you want to emblemize the backround, say with the logo for your game system (the way the default FG skin has the dragon logo), you can insert that emblem in the right side of the "desktop.png" file in the "Frames" folder. (See attached screenie). You will, of course, need to do so with a program that respects alpha transparency.

mr_h
September 24th, 2007, 14:26
Sweet! I'm gonna have to toss this into my TSSI ruleset so my players don't have to look at my hack job:)

TaranShannara
September 25th, 2007, 03:17
I also like it and will give it a try.

Thanks.

Blue Haven
September 29th, 2007, 00:01
One Question :)
How can i make the modules work on this ruleset?? can someone help me with this? because i cannot see the modules in the game...

GoOrange
September 29th, 2007, 00:26
One Question :)
How can i make the modules work on this ruleset?? can someone help me with this? because i cannot see the modules in the game...

I asked a similar question in a different thread and got this answer:

In the .mod file edit the definition.xml. Make sure the ruleset matches the ruleset you are using in your campaign, it should show up then.

You need to edit the module to specify the ruleset you wish to use it with.

Blue Haven
September 29th, 2007, 10:36
ohhh ok but i don´t understand a thing about that :( but ok thanks...

GoOrange
September 29th, 2007, 14:55
1. You need to rename the .mod file you want to use to a .zip file.
2. Then open up that .zip file.
3. Find the definition.xml file and open it with a text editor.
4. Change the name of the ruleset in that file to match the ruleset you wish to use it with, and save the file.
5. Make sure everything is properly re-packaged in the .zip file.
6. Re-name the .zip file to a .mod file.

That's the only way I know how to do it.

And back on topic - Great looking skin!

Blue Haven
October 2nd, 2007, 19:02
Thanks dude! ;)

mr_h
October 14th, 2007, 16:14
I just put this in, looks great. One thing:

button_notes.png and button_notes_down.png are still the fantasy versions. Is there a ultra modern version that was missed?

Cyjack
October 15th, 2007, 11:27
I just put this in, looks great. One thing:

button_notes.png and button_notes_down.png are still the fantasy versions. Is there a ultra modern version that was missed?

It's certainly something that I missed, or didn't change because I didn't encounter them in the functioning interface. There seem to be a few graphics that are leftovers from something else.

Where do you encounter this button in the program? Point me to the right window sequence, and I'll fix it.

Valarian
October 15th, 2007, 12:43
The Notes button is displayed when connecting as a Player.

mr_h
October 15th, 2007, 14:07
The Notes button is displayed when connecting as a Player.

What he said. It doesn't show up under the GM view, but I noticed it when I logged in as a player to make sure things worked right. :)

Indivi_duel
April 28th, 2008, 16:51
it's absolutely kick ***, but what i dont understand is that i can't seem to activate my modules and rulesets.

can anyone tell a noobs how to ?

regards

Valarian
April 28th, 2008, 20:29
You need to modify the base.xml file to reference the d20 modules in a custom ruleset.

This post shows you how:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=57579&postcount=5

Indivi_duel
April 30th, 2008, 04:14
thank you very much

Spyke
September 18th, 2008, 17:56
Does anyone have a copy of this skin that you could send me? The link in the first post no longer works. I've talked to Cyjack and he's had computer woes, so it would great if we could recover these files. I'd like to update the skin to work with the GURPS ruleset.

Thanks,
Spyke

Valarian
September 18th, 2008, 21:44
I've got a copy of CyJack's skin. Being absolutely dire at any artistic endeavour, I use it for a lot of my rulesets. PM me with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

CyJack, let me know if you need a copy of your skin back too :)

Spyke
September 18th, 2008, 22:16
Thanks Valarian, I've PMed you.

Blue Haven
September 19th, 2008, 18:30
I've got a copy of CyJack's skin. Being absolutely dire at any artistic endeavour, I use it for a lot of my rulesets. PM me with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

CyJack, let me know if you need a copy of your skin back too :)

Can you send me that skin too?? i lost mine :(

Spyke
October 7th, 2008, 21:38
Valarian kindly sent me the files, and I've now updated the skin to work as an extension. I've removed any default graphics to reduce the package size, and added a few files needed for it to work with the GURPS ruleset. It should also still work fine with d20 variants.

The skin can be downloaded from www.spyke.me (https://www.spyke.me).

Many thanks again to Cyjack for his excellent work producing this and for letting me adapt it.

Spyke

demonsbane
October 8th, 2008, 03:25
This is great. Extensions are going to benefit the entire FG2 community, doesn't mattering what ruleset are you using in many cases. I wanted a Modern/Cyberpunk/Ultratech skin for Fantasy Grounds GURPS 4e Ruleset. This seems perfect.

Many thanks to Cyjack (indeed, excellent design), Valarian and Spyke.

I'm downloading it right now.

Oberoten
October 8th, 2008, 08:33
Parhaps if the people in charge of the forums could make us a "Skins" thread that is sticky?

- Obe

I'll start one and we'll see what comes. :)

Spyke : I saw what you did there... Aka, you did one think g with the naming that I have been too dumb to think off. Making sure to MARK the skins as such only. Good plan.

BruntFCA
March 2nd, 2010, 01:55
WoW this is really nice, does it still work with the new 4e Ruleset? I'd hate to DL it only to mess FG up. Cheers.

Foen
March 2nd, 2010, 05:24
WoW this is really nice, does it still work with the new 4e Ruleset? I'd hate to DL it only to mess FG up. Cheers.

If you download it from Spyke's link (www.spyke.me) you will get an extension-based version, which is like a plug-in. If it doesn't work with your game system, you can just unplug it without their being any damage.

BruntFCA
March 2nd, 2010, 10:32
Thanks, I was worried that it had dissapeard into the ether, allowing the forces of entropy to chalk up another cheap victory!

Spyke
March 2nd, 2010, 11:01
If you download it from Spyke's link (www.spyke.me) you will get an extension-based version, which is like a plug-in. If it doesn't work with your game system, you can just unplug it without their being any damage.
I just tried it out with the new 4e ruleset distributed with FG, and it works fine. There are a few icons in the top corner that pick up the original 4e ones, along with the Combat Group button, as these are features that have been added since Cyjack made the original skin, but the look and functionality are both there.

Spyke