PDA

View Full Version : Traveller rules question

bawsr
February 25th, 2022, 14:27
I haven't played traveller in over 40 years :)

I know things have changed. We are trying to figure out what FG is doing for Initiative (ground based combat). the numbers on the character tracker don't seem to make any sense to us. I do realize it can be an int or a dex mod also.

My character also has Tactics and I would like to know how we add that in.

If no one is able to answer the questions perhaps someone can point me in a direction to find the answer. i have googled and seen many different explanations of initiative.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2022, 14:34
i have googled and seen many different explanations of initiative.
That's because there's been many different versions of Traveller in the past 40 years!

Are you using the Mongoose Traveller version 1 or version 2 ruleset?

If you're using 1E (from page 60 of the rulebook) - "...each person rolls 2d6 and adds their Dexterity DM to determine starting Initiative."
If 2E, from page 70 of the rulebook - "At the start of any combat, every Traveller makes either a DEX or INT check (it pays to be quick of hand or quick of the mind). The Effect of this check is his Initiative for the duration of the combat and will reflect when he gets to act in a combat round. Those with higher Initiatives act quicker than those with lower Effects."

bawsr
February 25th, 2022, 15:08
thanks. We are using 2e traveller in FGU. So tactics is just an additional bonus to initiative? I am just trying to figure out how the GM needs to do this in FG.

We are all are very close in stats so it does seem to jam all of us at the same time. Thanks for the fast and good explanation. I honestly think I liked the 1st ed way better and it makes sense when I googled, I was getting all kinds of answers.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2022, 15:20
thanks. We are using 2e traveller in FGU. So tactics is just an additional bonus to initiative?
Yep - see the "Tactics" section on page 70 of the rulebook, or the Combat -> Chapter 3 -> Initiative page in the Players Reference module Reference Manual.

"So long as they are not surprised, one Traveller (or combatant under the referee’s control) may make a Tactics check at the start of a combat. The Effect of this check is then applied to the Initiative of everyone on the same side."

I honestly think I liked the 1st ed way better
Numerically it's exactly the same - just tracking the effect of the roll not the actual roll result.