PDA

View Full Version : How to Demo?

jjensen6823
February 24th, 2022, 01:37
I'm new to FG (I did look at it briefly a few years ago but never used it). and I'd like to try it out before I decide to buy it, but I can't figure out how to do that. I installed the demo version, but the only option seems to be "Create a Campaign", and it won't let me do that unless I buy a license. Am I missing something?

Jim

bmos
February 24th, 2022, 01:43
Buy a license. There's a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

It should let you connect to campaigns with no license.

JohnD
February 24th, 2022, 01:43
Smiteworks has a no questions asked 30-day money back policy. You can buy a license and use for 30 days, ask for a refund if FG isn't what you're looking for.

As for the Demo, that's really only useful for being a player connecting to a game run by someone with an Ultimate license. You can sort of poke under the hood with it, but nothing is saved and IMO it doesn't give you the "full" width and breadth of the FG experience.

jjensen6823
February 24th, 2022, 02:24
Well, I paid for the one-time Ultimate license, but I still haven't received a license code, so I still can't do anything...

damned
February 24th, 2022, 03:48
Hi jjensen6823

The serial numbers should be sent to your email address.
If your PayPal email address is different to your Forum account email address check that one too.

Next stop is to go to https://support.fantasygrounds.com/ and log a ticket with as much info as possible and they will get you squared away.

There is (or used to be at least) an issue where Paypal would sit on some transactions for 24 hours - if that has happened then its a waiting game...

In the meantime you can try Load Campaign and there should be a (really basic) 5E Sample Campaign which will give you a bit of a taste.

Sulimo
February 24th, 2022, 04:28
If for some reason the Sample Campaigns are missing, you can find them in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64444-Example-Campaigns).

Just unzip the files into the \campaigns folder (click on the folder icon in the upper left of the launcher screen where you see Create/Load campaign).

Trenloe
February 24th, 2022, 14:19
I'm new to FG (I did look at it briefly a few years ago but never used it). and I'd like to try it out before I decide to buy it, but I can't figure out how to do that. I installed the demo version, but the only option seems to be "Create a Campaign", and it won't let me do that unless I buy a license. Am I missing something?

Jim
You can create a campaign with a free license - but you can't have any players connect to you, as the network component of FGU is disabled for free licenses.

To create a campaign do the following:

Click the "Create Campaign" button
In the create campaign screen, select the ruleset you want to use for the campaign - you will only be able to select rulesets that come with the base FG, not rulesets that require purchasing.
Enter the name for your campaign in the "Name" field.
Click the "Start" button - your campaign will be created and will load.

These are the rulesets that come with FGU: D&D 2E, D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E, FATECore, Pathfinder 1, Pathfinder 2, Numenera, Starfinder

These are the data libraries included: D&D 5e SRD, D&D 5e Basic Rules, D&D 3.5E SRD, FATECore, Pathfinder 1E SRD

Nylanfs
February 24th, 2022, 14:32
You DO have to enter your forum account info though.