PDA

View Full Version : Storing Character locally?

Ivellios
September 22nd, 2007, 17:59
Is there anyway to get the character to store locally? After adventuring there are times I need to work on my character (leveling, reveiwing inventory and etc.) but the host does not have the server up.

Any way I can get my character to stay on my local machine? Also I think many would like this if they play multiple characters on different campaigns.

Thank You
Shane

Griogre
September 23rd, 2007, 07:36
The short answer is no. FG is setup so the characters are stored on the GM machine. Just a FYI local characters always stay on your machine. However these characters are not updated by the server so typically they are quite different after a few sessions.

I suggest that you keep a PCGen, HeroForge, Redblade or e-Tools character of your FG character. Then you can keep that version updated. If I know I'm going to level soon I will level the character in a character generator prior to the game and make a HTML copy of it and then just update the character sheet in FG from the HTML sheet. I find it faster than if I was leveling by hand and I not as likely to forget anything.

zifnab69_fr
September 23rd, 2007, 14:38
hello griog.
Please can you explain me something.
is it possible to use redblade or pcgen to creat caracteres and then to export it in FG2 ?
thank you

Foen
September 23rd, 2007, 14:51
PCGen has an exporter for FG1, but an exporter for FG2 could be written (it uses text templates, and there seems to be no reason why it couldn't be done). Two things spring to mind:

You'd need to learn the export syntax/token vocabulary, and have a reasonable understanding of the FG2 character xml; and
It wouldn't be very good for populating spell lists. In FG2 these are drawn from modules.

I'm not so sure about Redblade.

Cheers

Stuart

Griogre
September 24th, 2007, 06:05
I am not aware of any software that exports characters to FG other than PCGen exporting FG1 characters.

I was just suggesting you use a character generator to keep track of your FG characters and just update the FG characters by hand after updating them in the character generator you like.

Sorry for any confusion.

Toadwart
September 24th, 2007, 07:05
IF your DM is happy to do this. And you have the full version of FGII. And you have purchased a copy of the ruleset (if its not the built-in d20 ruleset) then:
Get the dm to send you a copy of your character xml (copied out of his campaign's db.xml file).
Create a new campaign yourself and paste the xml into your campaign's db.xml file.
You should then be able to edit that character in FG (as the dm of that campaign or by connecting to it as a player)
When your done editing, send the xml back to your dm to paste back into his db.xml file.

Disclaimer: have not actually tried this and will deny all knowledge of this conversation should anything go wrong ;)

Nylanfs
September 26th, 2007, 00:37
There was somebody posting a while back on the main PCGen group that was creating an xml csheet, but I tried emailing him and haven't heard back from him. Just do a search for Fantasy Grounds on the yahoo group.