PDA

View Full Version : Changing A Hindrance Does Not Auto-Update Character

UrsaTeddy
February 20th, 2022, 14:24
Greetings,

After editing a Hindrance (copy of) I noticed that it does not update Characters using that Hindrance.

For example changing Size+1 to Size+2 under the Obese Hindrance does not automatically update the Character Sheet.

The only way is to remove Obese then re-add it to the sheet.

Is there any way of making this automatic? Coding or otherwise?

I am not sure if it happens with Edges etc, since I was working with Hindrances at the time of this writing.

Thanks for any help,
D

Jiminimonka
February 20th, 2022, 17:37
Greetings,

After editing a Hindrance (copy of) I noticed that it does not update Characters using that Hindrance.

For example changing Size+1 to Size+2 under the Obese Hindrance does not automatically update the Character Sheet.

The only way is to remove Obese then re-add it to the sheet.

Is there any way of making this automatic? Coding or otherwise?

I am not sure if it happens with Edges etc, since I was working with Hindrances at the time of this writing.

Thanks for any help,
D

You would have to remove the Hindrance from the character and add the new one for it to work.

Same with anything else added to a character, including inventory items.

UrsaTeddy
February 20th, 2022, 20:37
Damn.

I would have thought that this would be a natural use for software that automates things. If you modify a Hindrance, then it should technically recalculate itself.

Ah well no real harm in remove then add, however if the change is not only one thing but a multitude that are affect it becomes a pain.

D

kronovan
February 20th, 2022, 21:55
I would have thought that this would be a natural use for software that automates things. If you modify a Hindrance, then it should technically recalculate itself.

Just a thought...that may very well be doable, but having that might negatively impact the overall performance of the app. If you're going to have updates to features outside of a character sheet be automatic, then FGU probably needs to continually poll for those changes. I personally prefer the idea of removing a feature and then re-adding it, as that should lessen the processing overhead.

srbongo
February 20th, 2022, 23:46
Just a thought...that may very well be doable, but having that might negatively impact the overall performance of the app. If you're going to have updates to features outside of a character sheet be automatic, then FGU probably needs to continually poll for those changes. I personally prefer the idea of removing a feature and then re-adding it, as that should lessen the processing overhead.

Ya, I was thinking about this as well - it's actually pretty interesting that FGU updates that way, as opposed to pulling the charsheet info each time a power or whathaveyou is activated - but makes a lot of sense in this context.

UrsaTeddy
February 20th, 2022, 23:54
I understand that during combat it would be a calculation problem ... however this is a simple character sheet edit after a game where everyone has agreed that something needs to change.

Perhaps FGU needs to have a "recalc" button like Excel has. This would be more useful than many people might think.

D

Mike Serfass
February 22nd, 2022, 00:05
You'd have to account for setting-specific hindrances, and setting rules and quirks. Then account for edges because sometimes edges prohibit hindrances and vice versa. And skills, because sometimes skills are affected. And account for racial abilities which sometimes override hindrances and edges (like a min or max die), etc. How would you handle house rules? What if you load from SWD on top of SWADE? Or a module has an alternate version? Which module overrides which?
I wouldn't want to code that.

Jiminimonka
February 25th, 2022, 08:59
Same with anything else added to a character, including inventory items.

I know my words are so well written, almost Shakespearian in quality, so I understand the urge to quote and plagiarise them.... but you smell like a bot or spammer in preparation.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2022, 15:25
I know my words are so well written, almost Shakespearian in quality, so I understand the urge to quote and plagiarise them.... but you smell like a bot or spammer in preparation.
Yes, they were.

If you see posts like this where you suspect they're spam, please report them as such using the "Report Post" button (! within a triangle) under the post. This will alert the moderators and we can take appropriate action.